Thread: Flopped straight flush versus flopped ace high flush -- could you lay this down?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Flopped straight flush versus flopped ace high flush -- could you lay this down?

https://twitter.com/andystackspoker/status/1657429919297830912

Obviously a horrible setup hand for Andy, and he's losing to only two hands -- Td8d and KdTd. Turn and river don't change anything, though the fourth river diamond gives a huge clue when Mariano goes all in on Andy.

Not sure if the call was this quick in real life, or if it's just compressed for time above, so I won't comment on that part. If Andy did call very quickly, that was a mistake. At the very least, he needed to think it over.

I don't under the checking back on the flop on both sides. This is the type of board where you can get action from a lot of hands, so why not pump up the pot right away if you think you're ahead? It's not like you're holding QQ on a QQ4 board, and figure you need to let the other person hit a piece of something. On QdJd9d, there's a lot of hands which can call a flop bet, especially since Andy knows Td could be held by Marino, and Mariano knows that Andy could have Ad.

The lack of action on the flop actually would have given Andy the chance to possibly fold on the river. If there was no fourth diamond, Andy would have to call, because Mariano could simply be overplaying a lesser flush. But with a single diamond making a flush, Andy had to consider the strong possibility that he was being raised by a straight flush.

I definitely would have considered laying this one down. Could I actually do so in a real-world setting? Maybe. It would hurt tremendously to lay it down and be wrong here, but sometimes you just have to reason it out. Very tough to do, though.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    My most unusual flopped cooler was at a $5,000 buyin tournament at Harrah's Rincon near San Diego, back in 2007.

I fought through a seemingly perpetual short stack, and was 5 spots away from cashing $11,000, as 18 paid with 23 left. The top prize was over $300k.

Shane Schleger to my direct right open limped, I limped with 9d8d on the button, Gavin Smith completed from the SB, and the BB checked.

Flop was all diamonds. Checked to me, I bet, Gavin (whom I had covered) called, the BB folded, Shane called.

Turn was a non-diamond which didn't pair the board, but possibly made someone a straight. Checked to me. I had a below average stack, and I figured it was time to go all in, as I would surely be called by a lone Ad, and very likely called by a straight, set, or two pair. Two snap calls! Uh oh!

Turned out Shane had Qd4d, and Gavin had AdTd! Flush over flush over flush on the flop! (I know I've talked about this before.)

I've never seen this happen other than this hand. Not before, not after.

Gavin tripled up, Shane won the rest of my stack and pretty much broke even, and I was out. Brutal. But I had no choice to fold at any point, due to my stack size. Funny that I was rooting for no turn diamond, yet I would have easily gotten away from the hand if one hit.

Load Metric
    It has happened to me on the acr. Nut ace flush into a 2card sf. Don't get me started on boat over boat. Ive had full boat bigger boatsand boat into 4of a kind into top boat as well. Yesterday happened in my favor quad aces got called with pair dueces not boat deuces just regular dueces in aa24 negated his 2 pair board. Don't know if he didn't realize his 2 pair was counterfitted wow, got quad aces again as typing this got partially paid guy tried to represent flush.
    Last edited by FRANKRIZZO; 05-14-2023 at 12:59 PM.

Thread Information