Thread: Barstool Sports personality Ben Mintz fired after reading rap lyrics with N-word

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Barstool Sports personality Ben Mintz fired after reading rap lyrics with N-word

Ben Mintz of Barstool Sports was rapping song lyrics on his May 1 broadcast, and the song happened to include the n-word, which he said out loud. It is very clear that there was no racist intent here, and in fact the lyrics were originally written and rapped by a black artist.

Go to 1:12 on the below video, and you'll see the slip-up:

Mintz issued an apology on Twitter, but it was too late. Interestingly, when I went to go look for this apology, I noticed that Mintz follows me, even though we've had no previous interaction.

https://twitter.com/BarstoolMintzy/status/1653128454554959873
    https://twitter.com/BarstoolMintzy/status/1653910455046266880

Barstool founder Dave Portnoy issued a statement, explaining that Mintz was fired by their parent company Penn Gaming. He repeatedly claimed that he did not support the firing and in fact begged them not to, but was told that the deal was done:

https://twitter.com/stoolpresidente/status/1653876074529292289

Not a huge Portnoy or Barstool fan, but I believe Dave, and I also believe Mintz.

Portnoy claims that Penn Gaming did this out of fear of their sportsbetting license being revoked over this, but I doubt it. It would be unlikely the license would ever be pulled over this matter. I think they just didn't want the negative cancel culture type fallout, so it was easier to dismiss Mintz, who wasn't a major star anyway.

There were already calls by some to fire him, and I think Penn Gaming got scared of a scandal.

It is laughable how Portnoy claimed that he would rally Barstool fans to protest if Penn kept Mintzy but lost their license in one or more states. State officials don't give a shit what Portnoy or his followers think. As the government is not a corporation, you can't boycott them or pressure them into changing their decision, unless someone is up for reelection soon.

Barstool Sports has some connection to the poker community, as some of their guys play poker, and in fact some of them were at the 2022 WSOP. However, they received a negative reaction from the community in 2022, after starting a feud with Allen Kessler, where many felt they were outsiders and didn't really have the standing to pick a fight with him, nor did they understand who his history or personality. Mintz was not involved in that minor controversy.

Comments

Mission146:

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Ben Mintz of Barstool Sports was rapping song lyrics on his May 1 broadcast, and the song happened to include the n-word, which he said out loud. It is very clear that there was no racist intent here, and in fact the lyrics were originally written and rapped by a black artist.

Go to 1:12 on the below video, and you'll see the slip-up:

Mintz issued an apology on Twitter, but it was too late. Interestingly, when I went to go look for this apology, I noticed that Mintz follows me, even though we've had no previous interaction.

https://twitter.com/BarstoolMintzy/status/1653128454554959873
    https://twitter.com/BarstoolMintzy/status/1653910455046266880

Barstool founder Dave Portnoy issued a statement, explaining that Mintz was fired by their parent company Penn Gaming. He repeatedly claimed that he did not support the firing and in fact begged them not to, but was told that the deal was done:

https://twitter.com/stoolpresidente/status/1653876074529292289

Not a huge Portnoy or Barstool fan, but I believe Dave, and I also believe Mintz.

Portnoy claims that Penn Gaming did this out of fear of their sportsbetting license being revoked over this, but I doubt it. It would be unlikely the license would ever be pulled over this matter. I think they just didn't want the negative cancel culture type fallout, so it was easier to dismiss Mintz, who wasn't a major star anyway.

There were already calls by some to fire him, and I think Penn Gaming got scared of a scandal.

It is laughable how Portnoy claimed that he would rally Barstool fans to protest if Penn kept Mintzy but lost their license in one or more states. State officials don't give a shit what Portnoy or his followers think. As the government is not a corporation, you can't boycott them or pressure them into changing their decision, unless someone is up for reelection soon.

Barstool Sports has some connection to the poker community, as some of their guys play poker, and in fact some of them were at the 2022 WSOP. However, they received a negative reaction from the community in 2022, after starting a feud with Allen Kessler, where many felt they were outsiders and didn't really have the standing to pick a fight with him, nor did they understand who his history or personality. Mintz was not involved in that minor controversy.
    Not gonna lie Barstools standards are set so low I’m surprised this happened at all but betting if it had been a black dude on staff nobody would’ve cared. Can’t be a white dude and drop the N word even on a lowbrow group like Barstool.

Load Metric
    LOL woke Barstool, bet naturalborncuckold got enraged by this eating his bologna on his lunch break.

PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Was this live streamed? I thought I saw a tweet saying it wasnt, but they uploaded the video of it anyways.

I believe I saw it the other day from a RT from Bigcat.. which I was surprised at it being RT'd by him lol

Load Metric
    Woke ass Penn National Gaming!!! LOL

Thank you for the link to the story. It's kind of interesting, but it's not really surprising in today's climate. I think him dropping that word, even in this context, would have been fairly controversial a decade ago and might have resulted in dismissal.

Maybe it is, arguably, a Free Speech thing...but getting fired from a company isn't the same thing as the Government coming down on you. Besides, I think it's the one word that we, as white people, are seemingly asked to try to avoid in any context. I remember being in Elementary/Middle/High school and had to avoid A LOT of words that I would have preferred to use...and we can't avoid one word as adults?

I wonder if it would have been different had the song been playing and he rapping along to it? I think it should be different in a context like that, but who knows?

Also, the, "Boys-N-the-Hood," cover, by Dynamite Hack, is hilarious. This should brighten everyone's day:

I don't have the album anymore, but once did, and I don't think they censored that word on the album.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Portnoy pissed off powerful people in the gaming industry by playing fast and loose with rules and his 'smartest guy in the room' act.
    Regulators are after them - and Portnoy should just stfu and be rich because his antics don't go unnoticed. the actual smart guys in the room have wanted him gone for a while and now they are acting on it.

Load Metric
    PENN gaming stock was down 10% in first hour of the market opening. Market is speaking how they feel about the wokeism bullshit.

Update down 12.5% currently at 2pm Eastern

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by ftpjesus View Post
    PENN gaming stock was down 10% in first hour of the market opening. Market is speaking how they feel about the wokeism bullshit.

Update down 12.5% currently at 2pm Eastern
    They released earnings this morning so I don't think the dip is Mintzy caused but the faithful 'stoolies' could cause some impact if they stop betting on the barstool app

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BUMP

https://twitter.com/DestroyerMintzy/status/1659274151536861223

BTW, two weeks ago, Mintz responded to my DM about the segment about him on PFA Radio with a "thumbs up".

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BUMP

Mintzy listed me as one of the notables with a big stack at the conclusion of Day 2ABC of the Main.

He did say my name correctly, but described me as "Todd Witteles of Poker Security Alert".

I'll take it.

Go to 48:08 mark

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    BUMP

Mintzy listed me as one of the notables with a big stack at the conclusion of Day 2ABC of the Main.

He did say my name correctly, but described me as "Todd Witteles of Poker Security Alert".

I'll take it.

Go to 48:08 mark

Rough thing to plug with Brother Jaffe front and center.

Comments

Pablo: ha
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    change this fucking site to poker security alert.com its actually way funnier

Load Metric
    He should just post here he can say the n word all he wants

Comments

SlowRoll:

Thread Information