Thread: *** Official LED ZEPPELIN Thread ***

Load Metric

*** Official LED ZEPPELIN Thread ***

This band is too important in the history of music to just get mentioned in other threads. So, it’s high time for a thread dedicated to the GREATEST ROCK & ROLL BAND to date, and possibly for all time to come.

And to kick it off, I’m posting my preferred play order of songs on their best-selling album, the untitled Led Zeppelin IV, which has as over 30 million certified album sales worldwide.

Name:  50D579A3-F806-4F22-8DAE-37770743883F.jpeg
Views: 158
Size:  162.1 KB

Before I get into the specifics, let me preface that I have been on a mega-Zeppathon for the past two weeks or so shortly I broke down and downloaded all of their studio albums, including the post-John Bonham death/band breakup release of previously recorded material that the band hadn’t before considered ready for prime time, Coda.

Also, intermingled in undertaking that mega-thon, I also watched, and sometimes rewatched, a number of reviews and documentaries available on YouTube in my mobile popular music evaluation lab during breaks in my paying job. So, I didn’t arrive hastily or cavalierly at this preferred play order of such a classic and revered rock music treasure.

With that said, here it is with the original track order in parentheses afte my preferred order.

1 (1): Black Dog
    2 (3): The Battle of Evermore
    3 (6): Four Sticks
    4 (4): Stairway to Heaven
    5 (5): Misty Mountain Hop
    6 (2): Rock and Roll
    7 (7): Going to California
    8 (8): When the Levee Breaks

So, why the changes? Overall, they were driven by two concerns: (1) A conflict of tone of “Rock and Roll” with the opening number, “Black Dog”, despite both of them hard driving and fast-paced, and (2) the tonal similarily of “The Battle of Evermore” with the beginning of “Stairway to Heaven”.

(1- Part 1): Rock and Roll” seems out of place as a lighter-spirited fast-paced, hard-driving song after the dark mood of the similarly fast-and-hard charging “Black Dog”. I flirted with swapping it with “Black Dog” given that it was created in response to critics of “Led Zeppelin III” who had wondered where Led Zeppelin had gone musically with it’s much less hard rock-focused third album.

But because “Black Dog” opens the album in such a powerful and iconic way, such a re-ordering would IMO significantly diminish the listener’s experience of both tunes, as well as be too much of a departure from the original play order. Not sure where to put it, but resolved that it would go somewhere on the latter part of the album because it seems a great fire-up-the-crowd song to end a set, I temporarily moved to follow “When the Levee Breaks”.

(2) After repeatedly hearing “Stairway to Heaven” follow “The Battle of Evermore”, I got the sense that the “Stairways…” soft, slow and deliberate opening would better be contrasted by a faster paced tuned than “The Battle…”. Given that “Rock and Roll” would somewhere on the second half of the play-order, I moved the fast-paced-but-darker-mood “Four Sticks” up in the order to serve as a break between “The Battle…” and “Stairway…”.

(1- Part 2) Finally, I moved “Rock and Roll” from last place to where “Four Sticks” had been, which preserved the tonal complement of “Four Sticks” with the originally preceding and following times, “Misty Mountain Hop” and “Going to California”, respectively. This placement of “Rock and Roll” also helps to play on it’s “great end of set” vibe by being placed after most of the offerings of the album, while preserving the special listening experience of the closing tunes of the original play order.

Well, that didn’t take long. Quite enjoyable, actually, while I’ve been listening to a considerable amount of the remaining tunes on my 5-dozen-plus-tunes personal playlist of that mega-band put out. Which I will likely share with in future posts in this thread.

In the meantime, I’ve included a YouTube link to Led Zeppelin IV in its original order, as well as a public playlist my preferred play order as discussed here for your critical evaluation. Listening is ad-free if you have a Premium subscription or know a trick on how to skip/block the ads.

Original:

My playlist order:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...1of4KMVSeHanqP

Comments

Baron Von Strucker: Hey, hey, mama, said the way you move Gonna make you sweat, gonna make you groove
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    My favourite band or at least were before I discovered just how much music they stole.

Their music was beyond orgasmic, that whole thing kinda ruined it a bit for me though.
    BALLIN'!!

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbucks Spunk Bucket View Post
    My favourite band or at least were before I discovered just how much music they stole.

Their music was beyond orgasmic, that whole thing kinda ruined it a bit for me though.
    Right. Fucking moron

Zeppelin was the shit. Why is it not now? Too deep.
    Boy band culture still going

You have to go top five with Led Zeppelin
    Beach Boys not even in the category

Load Metric
    Re my suggestion above that there is a better play order than that of the original: I was wrong. After relistening several times, maybe 5 or 6 times, since the OP, I’m convince that Misty Mountain Hop is BEGGING for Four Sticks to follow it. Also, The Battle of Evermore is a far better lead-in to Stairway than any other tune on that album.

With that, return to whatever you were doing. Over and out.

Comments

country978: really great mumbles. love LZ all my life
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbucks Spunk Bucket View Post

The artists they “ripped off” ended up getting compensated, given co-writing credits and/or recognition.

Plus, most people wouldn’t have learned of those song without LZ making them into something immensely more enjoyable. Like how this LZ tribute band carries on reminding up how amazing their music is.

Comments

Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe: in my day the premiere female zeppelin tribute was lez zeppelin

Diamond Pro Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe's Avatar
    Load Metric

Comments

MumblesBadly: Gold

Diamond Pro Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe's Avatar
    Load Metric
    guys this is really cheap you can be just like jim page

Name:  Screenshot 2023-04-03 001558.png
Views: 82
Size:  330.7 KB

Load Metric
    I’m in love…

Load Metric
    They were rockin’ back in the day and not even knowing it.

Load Metric
    i wonder what happened to the groupie bonzo fucked with a mud shark.

like what did she do the next day? what was the rest of her life like?

she should be a main character for a minute.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Thread Information