Thread: Your tales of falling for "Phone Psychics," like Miss Cleo? LMAO! :D

Silver
    Load Metric

Your tales of falling for "Phone Psychics," like Miss Cleo? LMAO! :D

When I was around 12 or 13, I fell for the "Miss Cleo," scam. I called when I was at my Aunt's house, and the Psychic asked if my little cousins laughing in the background were my CHILDREN. I suspicious, said, "No." :/ I thought that was a red flag because if she were a REAL Psychic, she should have known I was only 12 or 13 and shouldn't HAVE kids yet at that age. :/ That phone call cost my aunt about $50 and my Dad paid my Aunt for me, like "She's my daughter and a kid and didn't know better, so I'll pay you for that phone call," thing. He then warned me to never call a Psychic again, and I never did again. I remember saying this on another Website and Posters were like," Your Dad should have taken that $50 out of your allowance. My dad would have used my allowance to pay that $50 off."

Comments

Tellafriend: good story

Pablo:

Load Metric
    did ms cleo predict you would one day shit on the floor of a fast food restaurant?

Comments

Tellafriend: oiuch

The Boz: Yes!

dwai: lol

nunbeater: blaow!
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    So, I have a client who worked for Ms. Cleo. He actually did psychic reading over the phone for dumb Gringos. He made good money for years, getting high and giving readings while stoned out of his mind. Until of course it got shut down. BTW, he has absolutely zero psychic ability and is proud to tell you so.
    En boca cerrada, no entran moscas

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen Nathan View Post
    When I was around 12 or 13, I fell for the "Miss Cleo," scam. I called when I was at my Aunt's house, and the Psychic asked if my little cousins laughing in the background were my CHILDREN. I suspicious, said, "No." :/ I thought that was a red flag because if she were a REAL Psychic, she should have known I was only 12 or 13 and shouldn't HAVE kids yet at that age. :/ That phone call cost my aunt about $50 and my Dad paid my Aunt for me, like "She's my daughter and a kid and didn't know better, so I'll pay you for that phone call," thing. He then warned me to never call a Psychic again, and I never did again. I remember saying this on another Website and Posters were like," Your Dad should have taken that $50 out of your allowance. My dad would have used my allowance to pay that $50 off."
    Reminds me of how bad Don Lapre got screwed.
    He killed himself while facing 25 years in prison.
    RIP
    Name:  300.lapre.ls.100311.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  14.3 KB

Former employee speaks and the comments are gold.

Comments

Tellafriend: you wasted 6 min of my life w that shit

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    This character in 2002's Grand Theft Auto got Rockstar Games sued by Psychic Readers Network 15 years later:

Load Metric
    btw theres a great documentary on ms cleo, its either on hulu or netflix...?

but quite enjoyable.

as you can imagine she ended up getting fucked over blind by the people who originally hired her, to the point where when the feds rolled in to bust literally everyone involved they took a look at her finances and just cut her loose on the spot.

another tidbit is she was a complete and total scammer / pathological liar before she became ms cleo. she got involved in some community theater in the PNW and finessed a budget to pay for her production after months of rehearsals and then vanished with the money. real classy human.

Comments

The Boz: It’s on HBO Max and definitely interesting, though it drags after a while.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Oh they were most definitely a real psychic. However, by lying to them you messed up their ability to read you properly. It’s actually considered very bad juju to lie to a psychic, much akin to being cursed.
    PokerfraudAlert acknowledges that our message board is on the unceded, unsurrendered Territory of Donkdown.com who's presence stretches back to that of Neverwinpoker and the Lithuanians. As such we acknowledge the great role that Tony G, Jewdonk, any many other Lithuanians have contributed to our community.

Load Metric
    Also Indian call centres are the new psychics.
    PokerfraudAlert acknowledges that our message board is on the unceded, unsurrendered Territory of Donkdown.com who's presence stretches back to that of Neverwinpoker and the Lithuanians. As such we acknowledge the great role that Tony G, Jewdonk, any many other Lithuanians have contributed to our community.

Thread Information