Thread: Colorized video of people walking around in 1930s NYC

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Colorized video of people walking around in 1930s NYC

https://twitter.com/Rainmaker1973/status/1637723719777804288

Too bad this wasn't Brooklyn, or I could've looked for my grandparents, who would have been young adults at the time.

Everyone in this video is dead, aside from the kid at the end who has a very small chance of still being alive.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Thanks Druff, that was pretty cool. There is nobody but white people in that video. Also, I didn't think there even was a 12th avenue but there was. Now its the Henry Hudson Parkway/West Side Highway.

Load Metric
    Always thought it was kind of weird how the suit-and-tie professional look has barely changed at all for 100+ years while everything else relating to fashion has changed many times over.

Load Metric
    Who else mis-read this title?

Load Metric
    How is this colorized? I only see white people no colors.
    PokerfraudAlert acknowledges that our message board is on the unceded, unsurrendered Territory of Donkdown.com who's presence stretches back to that of Neverwinpoker and the Lithuanians. As such we acknowledge the great role that Tony G, Jewdonk, any many other Lithuanians have contributed to our community.

Load Metric
    Always striking in old videos/photos how fit and well dressed everyone is compared to today's standards.

Current obesity rates compared to the past is outright appalling.

Comments

OK2: "I used to be fat" - You

dwai: uncalled for ok2
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    Wow. Guess I was wrong. A white ethno-state looks horrifying.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    The comments on social media echo what has been said in this thread.

The people are well-dressed and thin compared to today, and everyone is white.

However, there are reasons for both.

NYC was very segregated in those days. Not only was it racially segregated, but even the white people lived in different areas depending upon their family heritage. Other parts of 1930s NYC were not white-looking, though it's true that overall there was a higher percentage of white people in NY (and the entire country) than there is today.

Regarding (almost) everyone being thin in the video, it's not necessarily because these people were "healthier". They just had fewer conveniences and less access to quick food, so they ate less. There was no fast food, and there were no microwaves. Hot meals took time to prepare, and you typically only got them at home or in a sit down restaurant environment. Thus, there was less snacking taking place, and when it did, usually people ate things like fruit.

Additionally, most people didn't have cars, especially in NYC, so there was a lot more walking around town. This forced people to be more active.

Medical technology was very lacking in the 1930s. You wouldn't have wanted to live then. It was substantially better than the 1920s, due to the new invention of penicillin, but there were still a ton of people dying early of things which were detectable/curable today.

It is interesting to look at that video and know that my mom was a child in that same NYC just 10-15 years later, so it probably looked similar.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post
    Always striking in old videos/photos how fit and well dressed everyone is compared to today's standards.

Took a quick look. I want some kind of confirmation that this is Depression era New York. Something seems off.

Will look more closely at a later point.

Might explain the trim look though.

Load Metric
    Name:  ezgif-2-49db647100.gif
Views: 173
Size:  2.47 MB

Comments

OK2: LOL

Sloppy Joe: DWAI IS GOD TIER

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post

Took a quick look. I want some kind of confirmation that this is Depression era New York. Something seems off.

Will look more closely at a later point.

Might explain the trim look though.
    You could be correct. I showed Benjamin and he noticed that a high percentage of the men were wearing identical hats. I wasn't around in the 1930s, but I never heard about the hats all being so similar.

This could possibly have been the set of a little-known movie, filmed much later than the '30s. Hmmm....

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by devidee View Post
    Wow. Guess I was wrong. A white ethno-state looks horrifying.
    RichardBrodiesCombover has aids

Load Metric
    Same time frame, this one still gives me shivers. F’n insane.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunch_atop_a_Skyscraper

Name:  1602DC65-0EA2-40F0-9807-677BCE3B3E2E.jpeg
Views: 128
Size:  817.3 KB

Comments

PROUDBOY MAGA 2024: Crazy shit right there !

Platinum
    Load Metric
    I think Sanlmar may have a point here depending on what he was watching.

I want to preface this by mentioning that ive analyzed a ton of photos in the past couple of months by simply just playing that Chronophoto game. It has worked wonders. I know it might sound silly, but ive learned a lot. Im not claiming to be an expert by any means, so if someone more knowledgeable wishes to correct me, i welcome it.

So, i looked at the shortened version that is immediately accessible on the Twitter link(which is about 1:33), as well as the longer version which has the link in the twitter description, and that one is about 9 1/2 minutes.

The short 1:33 version speaks to me as a early 1930's film. I'd take a shot and say its 1933 or maybe a year or two later, if that. I found and watched the original uncolored version of this very film and the film quality alone also made me think it just had to be early 1930s. I tried to ID some of the vehicles in that short clip but i came up empty- im not really a car guy as it is.

To people commenting about the hats? from my own personal research, those hats are absolutely common with the time frame of early 1930s. I think there is a hat version like this that was around during the 1920s as well but i cant be absolutely positive on that. From the pics ive viewed, Those damn hats were everywhere, both men and women. The womans hats were more rounded at the top but still had that distinctive dark band around the base just like the mens hats.

I think the types of hats may have been a seasonal thing too here but i cannot be sure on that

Now, as far as the longer version goes, i think we are talking about a few different time periods. The people Striking makes me think it is maybe 1937 or 1938, but then i see some other clips that me think there are a few later time period clips shuffled in there. I looked up what was written on the strike signs and it made me think it was 37 or 38.

I'm still looking at everything else but will update if i find any new info.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordman View Post
    I think Sanlmar may have a point here depending on what he was watching.

I want to preface this by mentioning that ive analyzed a ton of photos in the past couple of months by simply just playing that Chronophoto game. It has worked wonders. I know it might sound silly, but ive learned a lot. Im not claiming to be an expert by any means, so if someone more knowledgeable wishes to correct me, i welcome it.

So, i looked at the shortened version that is immediately accessible on the Twitter link(which is about 1:33), as well as the longer version which has the link in the twitter description, and that one is about 9 1/2 minutes.

The short 1:33 version speaks to me as a early 1930's film. I'd take a shot and say its 1933 or maybe a year or two later, if that. I found and watched the original uncolored version of this very film and the film quality alone also made me think it just had to be early 1930s. I tried to ID some of the vehicles in that short clip but i came up empty- im not really a car guy as it is.

To people commenting about the hats? from my own personal research, those hats are absolutely common with the time frame of early 1930s. I think there is a hat version like this that was around during the 1920s as well but i cant be absolutely positive on that. From the pics ive viewed, Those damn hats were everywhere, both men and women. The womans hats were more rounded at the top but still had that distinctive dark band around the base just like the mens hats.

I think the types of hats may have been a seasonal thing too here but i cannot be sure on that

Now, as far as the longer version goes, i think we are talking about a few different time periods. The people Striking makes me think it is maybe 1937 or 1938, but then i see some other clips that me think there are a few later time period clips shuffled in there. I looked up what was written on the strike signs and it made me think it was 37 or 38.

I'm still looking at everything else but will update if i find any new info.
    I had watched the short clip in the Twitter msg only. I think you got it right Gordman.

Initially, I was struck with the notion that the 1930’s was the Depression era and that clip with Ben’s Skimmer Hats lacked any of the suffering one imagines would have been present. People looked sharp and industrious.

Those straw hats were 1920’s. Maybe they persisted into the 1930’s.

The cars look 1930’s era after some quick study. I really doubt they were 1920’s era or even late 1920’s. So the hats vs the cars vs my notion of depression era NYC.

The men’s suit coats would offer some clue too. Lapels and length. Haven’t looked into that.

Maybe I need to bone up on the Depression again. It might help me prepare for the mid 2020’s too.

There was a link to more video and the striking workers definitely were 1930’s. Again, more in keeping with my mental image of that era.

Thread Information