Thread: CGI tour of All in the Family home (and other old TV homes)

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

CGI tour of All in the Family home (and other old TV homes)

The woman behind this, Marina Coates, is 58 years old and a fan of old TV. She has a degree in architectural design.

You can see the other homes for which she's generated virtual tours here: https://www.mockingbirdlane.design/about

I suggested she do WKRP in Cincinnati next. I am a huge fan of the show, and attempted to do my own quick layout in MS Paint (I know, tight life), so I wonder how it would compare to what she'd generate.

Anyway, if you are a fan of old TV, check out the video and the channel.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    This was my WKRP layout.

Some pedantic douche on Facebook criticized it, but I think it was pretty close, especially considering that these TV layouts often don't make logical sense when you put them together.

Name:  wkrp-layout.png
Views: 202
Size:  19.3 KB

Your WKRP drawing looks correct to me. I am trying to envision various episodes in my head where we saw each of these rooms, and how the characters entered and exited. I cannot imagine how anyone took issue with the drawing because there is never a scene in the show where a character moves between all of the rooms, with the camera following.

Of course, in the studio there is no real layout to these rooms, and in fact they all do not exist simultaneously. They have the rooms used for the live taping already built, and unless a transition between such rooms is specifically shown, rooms next to one another in the show do not need to be physically laid out that way.

I am not sure if you have mentioned this before, but the building which was said to house WKRP, the fictitious Flimm Building, was a real building depicted in the theme song. Part of it is currently a Hampton Inn, meaning fans of the show can actually stay in the building where the show took place.

I enjoyed the All in the Family layout video. My only complaint was that it was a bit long at 25 minutes. I found myself fast forwarding through it to get to the layout itself rather than hear that woman talk, though when she did talk, it was mostly about how she laid it all out and what steps she took, so that was somewhat interesting. Still, I think it could have been compacted a bit.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I think the length of the All in the Family video was fine, as it was mostly aimed at megafans of the show who probably enjoyed the great detail and her description of process.

What seemed to be missing was a quick walkthrough without narration, maybe placed at the very end or very beginning of the video. I kept waiting for that to happen, and it never did. Instead, I had to piece each section of the house together in my head. Would've been cool if she could have included a walkthrough similar to what someone would do in real life if they just wanted to go from room to room and quickly observe everything.

By the way, I realized my WKRP drawing was missing the storeroom they occasionally showed in the earlier seasons, but that kinda vanished anyway. Other than that, I think it's correct.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Taxi still holds up very well

Comments

FRANKRIZZO: taxi was the nuts
    RichardBrodiesCombover has aids

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by OK2 View Post
    Favs where Jim takes drivers license test, and Jim buys a horse. Going to copy and paste link was too long.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by FRANKRIZZO View Post
    Favs where Jim takes drivers license test, and Jim buys a horse. Going to copy and paste link was too long.
    RichardBrodiesCombover has aids

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I saw one episode which reminded me so much of myself. The Alex character (Judd Hirsch) reached an answering service, and got to increasingly talk to the woman who worked there. Eventually the two exchanged phone numbers, established a connection, and were really into each other.

Finally he met her, and she was totally different than her phone persona. She was very fat, extremely self-conscious about her weight, and a big time downer during the entire date.

While I was pretty good at sniffing these out (even when young), sometimes it would get by me, and indeed the girl I would meet over the phone ended up 1000% different than what I had pictured -- both in looks and personality. And like me in those situations, Alex tried to be polite and make the best of it, but it was unsalvageable, even for one date. Most of my "meet girls over the phone" experiences were good, but I felt like I was watching myself in that one episode.

This episode was from 1978, but I saw it in reruns in the early '90s, at which point I related to it big time.

Comments

OK2: 'Fatfished' No need to crush their self esteem though, well played.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    In the late 60s, one of my mom's friends from college started dating a new guy, not too long after graduating. He was about a decade older than her, divorced, and a struggling actor.

He was very nice and was into her, but she decided she could do better than a loser in his 30s who was divorced with a kid, and a failing career. She dumped him.

The woman was very surprised to turn on the TV about 10 years later, and seeing someone she recognized on a new prime time show. It was that "loser" she once dated -- Judd Hirsch!

Still single, she regretted her decision big time.

She is still alive today, living in a NYC apartment by herself. Never married, never had kids.

Sad!

Comments

OK2: She sure got her cuntuppence on that one. Great to see.

Load Metric
    redacted

Thread Information