Thread: Chronophoto game

Platinum
    Load Metric

Chronophoto game

I'm getting a little addicted to this game. If you've ever played Geoguessr, this is more or less the same format, except you're guessing the date of pictures taken. If you like history, odds are you'll like this simple game.

It's pretty simple. In a game, 5 random pictures are presented, and you move the slider bar to the year you're guessing. The closer you are to the real date, the more points (max 1000).

A few tips:

- Obviously the more you know your history in general (1900-present in this case) the better you're going to do.

- At minimum, If you know some key dates in history ( e g. wars), and eras and such, it will help a great deal. Someone who has a vast knowledge of automobile history will also have a good advantage.

- Beware of colorized photographs. I’ve only encountered them a few times, but it can really throw you off if you're not careful.

- This is kind of an important one at times: Pay attention to what country the photo possibly came from. If it's not from the US or another advanced country, there could be a bit of photo quality "time lag", for lack of a better term. As you can imagine, some countries didn't have as good of camera gear right away.

https://www.chronophoto.app/web.html

Comments

Mission146: Thank you for the link! It was fun for a few tries, but I'll drive myself crazy if I don't stop now.

gut: fun

BCR:

Load Metric
    Interesting game. Played it 3 times. Scored like 2500,2700, and 2900. Easy to nail the few computer pics and other obvious ones. Horses on streets.

From small sample, hard to tell 1961 from 1956 or 1927 from 1918, and missing by that much makes your guess almost worthless. Trickier than I thought.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    Interesting game. Played it 3 times. Scored like 2500,2700, and 2900. Easy to nail the few computer pics and other obvious ones. Horses on streets.

From small sample, hard to tell 1961 from 1956 or 1927 from 1918, and missing by that much makes your guess almost worthless. Trickier than I thought.
    3,971--->One picture had Reagan, one was of American soldiers in WWII, one was a classroom with a teacher who had a hairdo clearly from the late-80's or early 90's, one had a bus from the late 40's and one was a guy playing Wii Golf, or whatever it's called. Fairly easy set. I'll also try three times.

2,045--->Ellen DeGeneres, oldish Kevin Spacey, oldish Brad Pitt, War picture...total miss. You'd have to know the weapon, probably. I went with WWII era, but it was from WWI. Missed by a few years. Just a picture of someone taking a picture of a mother and child in front of a school---black and white---old tripod camera---went with 1940 and it was 1932. Some war planning room, it looked like...early color photo, went 1955 and it was 1950. Old race cars---huge miss, barely got any points.

2,786--->Just some women on skis in a black and white; I went 1918 and it was 1925; this game is bullshit. Soldiers on bicycles in very early grainy color, went 1942 and it was 1940. Super old artillery weapon, went 1918 and it was 1916. Beatles; went 1958 and it was 1964; I guess they weren't active until 1960...oops. ZERO POINTS on the last one!!! The last one was the highest order of bullshit, just a picture of a street...but all of the cars were 1970's vehicles, but the picture was from 1992!

I'm done; this game makes me feel like an idiot. I am an idiot, but I don't necessarily feel the need to feel like one.

Load Metric
    Three more and then I have to stop. I can see where this is addictive. It makes you WANT to, "Beat the game," by getting a perfect score, but you'd have to get a great set of pictures for you and also get extremely lucky.

3,322--->Went 1975 and it was 1973...the cars got me close. Haha! All black school, only missed by a year! Some wedding, black and white, off by nine years. From France, some sign about disarming; I just went with early 1930's and got reasonably close. Another one of a guy with a baby; only missed by a few years, the cars got me close.

2,485--->1980!!! On the money!!! Setup with a bunch of kids playing Ataris, or similar. Missed by a few years...picture of Mexico or Spain, Pokemon backpack for sale was my main clue for a guess. Missed a 1950's picture by a few years; it was just a cars guess. Naval boat, bad guess. It was before WWII but I picked a year in range. Black and white picture I missed because it shouldn't have been black and white.

3,861--->Trump and Pence; off by a year, four year range for a guess. DAMNIT! I recognized Harry S. Truman from behind, but picked just outside of the years he was POTUS. Missed opportunity. An advertisement for something on Prime Video was my only real clue, off by a few years. DAMNIT ALL TO HELL!!!! I was going to go with a certain year (1990) and would have nailed it, but I pulled it back two years because of a guy's mustache! NAILED 1992 because of the outfits people were wearing, some MC Hammer type stuff.

Okay, now I am done. I think flirting with 4k is the best I will ever get and that's only if I get some heavy 80's and 90's pictures.

Load Metric
    super fun timewaster.

Played a few games, 3239 my top score so far. From what i've seen so far, anything quasi-modern in a poor African village is about the nut low for guessing. Could be 1970, Could be 1995.

Thread Information