Thread: Limited Run Games, a gaming company, fired their social media manager for following Ben Shapiro on her personal Twitter account, and liking Harry Potter

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Limited Run Games, a gaming company, fired their social media manager for following Ben Shapiro on her personal Twitter account, and liking Harry Potter

https://elamerican.com/limited-run-games-fires-worker/

It all stated on December 28, when Kara Lynne, the social media manager for Limited Run Games, publicly tweeted that she was looking forward to the new Harry Potter game coming out.

Some trans activist took issue with this and got triggered, because Harry Potter was written by JK Rowling, who has had the nerve to express that she thinks trans "females" in women's spaces is wrong.

So, by the transitive property or something, that made Kara Lynne a transphobe, and a complaint was made to her employer.

Additionally, it was found that Kara Lynne followed "Libs of Tiktok" and Ben Shapiro on her personal Twitter! THE HORROR! Even more proof that she's an awful transphobe.

And then someone dug into her tweets, and found that Kara wrote in 2015 that she felt uncomfortable sharing the bathroom with biological males.

https://twitter.com/limitedrungames/status/1611492929331240961

Very rational behavior by very rational people.

LOL 2020S LIBERALS

Bronze
    Load Metric
    This stuff is out of control. I see the death of social media soon. It's already happening on Facebook. Not attracting younger users.

You're seeing people pop off things and on to the newest things.

I know several people that were all over social media that have deleted all of them and are happier. I'd love to see the numbers on this. Specifically age groups and growth/loss. My intuition and my experience within my small group is that Facebook is going the way of MySpace and I don't think Zuckerberg focusing on Metaverse is helping.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I used to work in the tech field (as a programmer) in the 90s and early 2000s. If I still did today, I would probably have to stay off Twitter, as I'm sure it would either get me fired, demoted, or not hired due to my political conservatism.

You can't have a free speech society if corporations can be browbeaten by activist fanatics to fire people for having a different opinion on politics.

It would be one thing if overt racists, homophobes, or anti-Semites were getting fired. But here people are getting fired or suffering other career consequences for holding mainstream views held by 50% of the country. In this particular case, the woman was actually fired for following two right wing Twitter accounts.

The problem is that almost no Democrats will speak up about this being wrong. You have a few old-school Dems like Bill Maher raising issue, but most of them, especially the ones under 40, are staying quiet even if they disagree. Otherwise they also get cancelled.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by dmndkutr View Post
    This stuff is out of control. I see the death of social media soon. It's already happening on Facebook. Not attracting younger users.

I know several people that were all over social media that have deleted all of them and are happier. I'd love to see the numbers on this. Specifically age groups and growth/loss. My intuition and my experience within my small group is that Facebook is going the way of MySpace and I don't think Zuckerberg focusing on Metaverse is helping.
    My 11 year old son, his cousins and his friends spend all their time on Youtube and TikTok, with a little Discord for gaming stuff. No Facebook, Twitter or IG. I don't know what this means though or how it is representative of the future. From my empirical view that generation doesn't seem less plugged into social media (yet at least); just different platforms with different kinds of interactions.

Comments

dmndkutr:

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dmndkutr View Post

My 11 year old son, his cousins and his friends spend all their time on Youtube and TikTok, with a little Discord for gaming stuff. No Facebook, Twitter or IG. I don't know what this means though or how it is representative of the future. From my empirical view that generation doesn't seem less plugged into social media (yet at least); just different platforms with different kinds of interactions.
    My son is the same way. He thinks Facebook is for "old people", and just isn't interested in Twitter or Instagram. He also watches a lot of YouTube and Tiktok.

Facebook is pretty much dead as far as young people are concerned. It has a stigma now that it's where your parents hang out, and that destroys the cool factor.

Comments

dmndkutr:

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I used to work in the tech field (as a programmer) in the 90s and early 2000s. If I still did today, I would probably have to stay off Twitter, as I'm sure it would either get me fired, demoted, or not hired due to my political conservatism.

You can't have a free speech society if corporations can be browbeaten by activist fanatics to fire people for having a different opinion on politics.

It would be one thing if overt racists, homophobes, or anti-Semites were getting fired. But here people are getting fired or suffering other career consequences for holding mainstream views held by 50% of the country. In this particular case, the woman was actually fired for following two right wing Twitter accounts.

The problem is that almost no Democrats will speak up about this being wrong. You have a few old-school Dems like Bill Maher raising issue, but most of them, especially the ones under 40, are staying quiet even if they disagree. Otherwise they also get cancelled.
    My God, Druff! Several times recently I have started out agreeing with you 100% on some issue but then you have to steer it into a left vs. right battle.
    For someone who claims to look at issues objectively on merit, you take every opportunity to make everything political.
    Even on issues where you acknowledge that both side have made mistakes (COVID vax) you have to waste time pointing out each side's errors rather than just making your points, which are usually thoughtful and reasonable, and letting the discussion revolve around the facts.

Comments

ftpjesus: Cancel culture is totally political if you cant see it then cant help ya

Load Metric
    to be fair, adults who like Harry Potter are cringe

Comments

pagelpoker:

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilbodoggins View Post

My God, Druff! Several times recently I have started out agreeing with you 100% on some issue but then you have to steer it into a left vs. right battle.
    For someone who claims to look at issues objectively on merit, you take every opportunity to make everything political.
    Even on issues where you acknowledge that both side have made mistakes (COVID vax) you have to waste time pointing out each side's errors rather than just making your points, which are usually thoughtful and reasonable, and letting the discussion revolve around the facts.
    This is strictly a left-wing phenomenon.

I cannot think of one modern incident where someone was fired from a company for holding mainstream left wing political views.

If I were a lefty, I would have zero concern about posting my views and it interfering with an attempt to get a job. That's why left wingers openly do this, and it doesn't affect their employment. Right wingers mostly have to keep their politics secret, especially in certain industries like tech. That's absolutely ridiculous. It reminds me of the 1980s when gay people had to keep their sexuality closeted in order not to hurt their career.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilbodoggins View Post

This is strictly a left-wing phenomenon.

I cannot think of one modern incident where someone was fired from a company for holding mainstream left wing political views.

If I were a lefty, I would have zero concern about posting my views and it interfering with an attempt to get a job. That's why left wingers openly do this, and it doesn't affect their employment. Right wingers mostly have to keep their politics secret, especially in certain industries like tech. That's absolutely ridiculous. It reminds me of the 1980s when gay people had to keep their sexuality closeted in order not to hurt their career.
    Technically people were fired in the 1940s-1950s for left wing views more of blackballing for possible association with the Communist Party USA and ironically McCarthy was right there was an infestation of communists in fact its worse now probably with CCP/MSS agents now then back 70yrs ago.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Yes but that's why I'm talking about modern life.

Almost everyone affected by McCarthyism in the 50s is now dead.

Presently, left wingers do not get cancelled from their jobs based upon their views, unless super extreme (and even then usually not).

Right wingers get cancelled just for following Ben Shapiro.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Good video on the matter. Poor man's Micon in the top right corner, too.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Lets look at this

What does Shapiro do, what is his real job? His job is to dupe people into voting against their own interests via clever propaganda.
    It starts out with owning some libs, next thing you know the govt is taking away your social security to fund war with Iran.
    No thanks bro.
    Should US citizens be protected from such predators? Yes!

His sister is ok, you can like her.
    Believe it or not Abby knows how to clean house, spin mop and everything.
    I just assumed she had employees doing all that stuff.

Thread Information