Thread: Anita Pointer DD

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Anita Pointer DD

Seems like we always lose someone famous on December 31. 2022 was no exception, as Anita Pointer of the Pointer Sisters went donkdown.

Not very good genes in that family, as Bonnie Pointer died at 69 in 2020 (cirrhosis), June Pointer died at 52 (cancer), and Anita died at 74 (cancer). The Pointer Sisters had drug issues during their years of fame, and Bonnie's death was partially due to a drinking problem which ruined her liver.

The only original Pointer left is Ruth, currently 76.

The Pointer Sisters still perform, though now it's Ruth, her daughter Issa, and her granddaughter Sadako.

This classic scene from National Lampoon's Vacation is remembered for The Pointer Sisters' "I'm So Excited":

However, for unknown reasons, it was replaced with "Little Boy Sweet" by June Pointer (not the Pointer Sisters), which was not released as a single at the time.

The Pointer Sisters also acted sometimes. I remember this episode of "Gimme a Break", where they played a group of an up-and-coming girl band, where they eventually abandoned Nell because she was too fat, and therefore ruining the band's sexy image. The episode concluded with The Pointer Sisters in a fat suit, having gained a lot of weight in the present, and revealing they got dropped by their label for the same reason.

Silver
    Load Metric
    For those on here not old enough to know about the show Gimme a Break, the "I'm So Excited" Pointers Sisters' song was also part of the very special Saved By The Bell episode which dealt with Jesse Spano's caffeine pill addiction (lol)

Comments

SlowRoll: thank you for translating

Jayjami: Caffeine is a gateway drug

Thread Information