Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL *** MLB 2023 Thread

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Braves have a 4.5 game lead in the East and that's with both the number one and Two pitchers in the rotation on the DL But today we get Mike Soroka back after a couple seasons out but no telling if he's back in form of the All Star he once was. Acuna is having another monster season. Braves will be there in September.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Strokeofluck2020 View Post
    Braves have a 4.5 game lead in the East and that's with both the number one and Two pitchers in the rotation on the DL But today we get Mike Soroka back after a couple seasons out but no telling if he's back in form of the All Star he once was. Acuna is having another monster season. Braves will be there in September.
    Mets and Phillies have been shit, so the Braves will win the NL East.

Soroka embarrassingly lost today to the A's, but he did go 6 innings and allowed 4 runs, so it could have been worse.

That was just the A's 11th win, as we are 2 months into the season.

On the B. Miller front, Bobby pitched well for the Dodgers, though it was against the hapless Nationals.

Bryce had a tougher assignment against the Yankees and has given up 4 runs in 4 innings.

Dodgers' B. Miller is really needed to step up, since the team's starting pitching is in shambles.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Beware B. Miller confusion tomorrow.

Seattle B. Miller’s 70% fastball usage makes no sense to me how he is sporting those nifty numbers. He’s succeeded against some good teams. I haven’t seen him pitch. I just can’t get involved tonight. Will monitor
    Wish I acted on a good handicap … Bad Miller got touched for 8 runs in 4⅔

M-m-m my Soroka fade worked out (over 8) … that was easy

Gonsolin seems to be recovered from his abuse at the hands of the Dodgers last year. Some guys never do.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I like when a top prospect comes right out the gate and starts performing.

When they don't, and when we get a "wait 'til they get used to MLB" answer, often it just never happens.

The Dodgers have 2 notable, supposedly-MLB-ready pitching prospects.

One of them is Bobby Miller, who has done quite well in his first 2 starts.

The other is Ryan Pepiot, currently injured, whowas mediocre in his stints last year. Just based upon that alone, I'm much higher on Miller. Pepiot was wild in his first 7 starts in MLB (all last year), and was giving up a bomb every 6 innings. His ERA was a decent 3.47, but he just wasn't dominant or someone you felt you could count on.

To be fair, Walker Buehler was horrendous in relief for the Dodgers during some 2017 appearances, before kicking ass as a starter in 2018. We will see if he can ever return to his former self once he comes back from this big injury.

It's only been two starts for Miller, but I think they've got something with him.

Urias sucking this year could be a blessing for the Dodgers in disguise. If he has a bad 2023, or if injuries seem to dog him, they might be able to re-sign him cheap. Otherwise, he's probably bouncing and signing a way-too-big contract with another team, in the footsteps of Corey Seager or Trea Turner.

Load Metric
    Kike Hernandez is playing shortstop for the Red Sox. 3rd inning and 2 errors on routine plays. 13 errors this year.

Balls end up in the dugout behind the 1st baseman. It’s a safety issue

Thought you’d enjoy that Druff

Dodgers revenge all thru Sawks lineup these days.

Load Metric
    Kike Hernandez is playing shortstop for the Red Sox. 3rd inning and 2 errors on routine plays. 13 errors this year.

Balls end up in the dugout behind the 1st baseman. It’s a safety issue

Thought you’d enjoy that Druff

Dodgers revenge all thru Sawks lineup these days.
    Legit was surprised that Sawks didn't sign Bellinger

Comments

Sanlmar: wow

Load Metric

I’m in the car listening to the Dodgers game on the radio. Judge hits a monster home run and the Dodger announcer hollers, “that ball went to Manny-land”

Of all the previous Dodgers throughout history he could have compared that home run to.

I now realize Judge and Manny were both 99

Manny was the greatest right hand hitter I ever saw and now Judge … well

Load Metric
    Reds Elly De La Cruz got called up today @Gut

Born 2002 gtfo.

Wish Druff could see the Dodgers play him tonight

Load Metric
    I had Philly yesterday so I tuned in toward the end to see shortstop Trea Turner make a great play from deep in the hole.

It’s interesting given the Dodgers issue at shortstop.

Despite how dumb I think the Dodgers are I was captivated by the Betts/Trea/Freeman power trio. They carried that god foresaken line up by themselves. (They were shut down in the playoffs and the back half of the lineup were zeroes as usual so game over.)

So we will always wonder why the Dodgers did Trea like that. Even today they are looking and will overpay someone anyway. Well, it seems Trea is a dick. Team mates don’t like him. Some say the Nationals had issues with him. I didn’t know that until today.

Trea Turner was so sublime I can only imagine he is a huge prima donna given his gifts.

I want the truth. I can handle the truth.

You can have Kike back Druff. Talk in Boston and Alex Cora post game is blunt about how bad the defense is. Boston is a Dodgers AAA affiliate now.

Oh, Manoah Simp. He’s gotta be done.

Load Metric
    Just announced

Fatso got sent to the low minors with the rookies. Essentially instructional league. Wow. Only 25

Parole is still denied Simp. Jays are still banned

Comments

NickyPipes: Sad to see that, hope they guy gets back to the big leagues fast. What hapened?

Gold
    Load Metric
    Reds Elly De La Cruz got called up today @Gut

Born 2002 gtfo.

Wish Druff could see the Dodgers play him tonight
    Just watched him hit a double, nice way to start the career. The Reds aren’t good but have been better than some predicted. I have found some good underdog spots with them this year, lost a few as well pal!

Don’t look now but the Miami Marlins are showing signs of life. Soon to be 6 games over .500. It’s nice to have Oakland and Kansas City back to back. Miami could compete for a wild card this season. It’s interesting that Cy Young Sandy Alcontra has not been good but the team has a winning record. I see nobody discussing it but I previously mentioned the team overused him last year in a failed season. Perhaps to him personally it was worth it to try to win. Cy young, who could blame him? Hope to see him get back on track

Rays continue to roll, imagine this team with Springs and Drew Rasmussen in the rotation now that Glashow is back? That’s the best rotation in baseball pal. As on now the Rays have some holes in their pitching. They have blown some big leads as well. Yankees white Sox, Red Sox. Blew like 4+ run leads to all these teams. I only bet the rays side and didn’t look but seems their OVERS would be worth a look this season as their offense is rolling and their bullpen is often lacking. Some games it’s also very good though. Depends pal. Overall very entertaining team

What’s the deal with Sunday night baseball? Same teams over and over again. Never have the rays orioles blue jays diamondback. Wouldn’t you like to see some other teams?

Both central divisions suck huh pal? White Sox 5.5 back from first, 9 games under. Yankees 6.5 games back from 1st and 11 games over, you do the math pal

Load Metric
    Just announced

Fatso got sent to the low minors with the rookies. Essentially instructional league. Wow. Only 25

I was wondering if they would send him down. He has been very awful this year.

Do other teams just have him figured out now? Or his thick fingers can't throw the same stuff from the past couple years?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post

Just announced

I was wondering if they would send him down. He has been very awful this year.

Do other teams just have him figured out now? Or his thick fingers can't throw the same stuff from the past couple years?
    I never actually watch him this year. Fading Manoah was just an autobet like fading Oakland. (Oakland stung me last night.)

Your focus should be on Elly De La Cruz. You will mark time “before Elly De La Cruz“ and “after Elly De La Cruz“. Manoah was before Elly and thus irrelevant.

Books are running specials on Cruz to capitalize on the buzz. I know you are a 365 guy. Bet365 is offering a great number where DK and FD etc are +285’ish.

Todgers Syndergaard is one of the worst pitchers at holding runners.

Name:  939CD9C1-E500-4557-B1D2-B020E784A992.jpeg
Views: 232
Size:  30.3 KB

Great finish last night lol wow. Nice loss.

Speaking of “has beens” like lol wow and Syndergaard….. DeGrom is going to have his 2nd Tommy John. His under strikeouts was the easiest future this year. My other futures are meh. Just tying up cash for a year.

Name:  EB5EA11C-820A-498D-AB63-F23AB6C1D37D.jpeg
Views: 237
Size:  32.5 KB

Comments

NickyPipes: Nice bet

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Daniel Murphy BACK?

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...ue-deal-angels

I bet you haven't thought of him in awhile.

Murphy was a reliable .300-ish hitter in the 2010s, who also developed some power in 2016-17. His career average is .296.

However, upon going to the Rockies in 2019, where it was expected he would really crush, he started slipping. He hit .274 in 2019, and then .236 with just 3 HR in the pandemic-shortened 2020. That was the last time he played MLB. He couldn't find a team to latch onto after that, at the age of 36. Honestly I'm kinda surprised nobody gave him a chance.

He retired in January 2021, presumably due to be unable to find a job.

Now, three years since he last played, he's getting that shot. The Angels just signed him to a minor league deal, after he was crushing some lol Independent League. He did not play baseball at all in 2021 or 2022, at any level.

Of course, MLB is a far cry from an Independent League, so we will see if he ever makes the Majors again.

Mets fans lamented Murphy's departure in 2016, as he hit .347 and hit 25 HR that year for the Nationals. The Mets not re-signing him was compared to the departure of Justin Turner two years earlier, who could have been signed for the minimum, but instead was let go and became a star with the Dodgers. Mets fans in 2016 kept asking out loud, "What would our team be like if we had Murphy and Turner?" That Mets team ended up winning 87 games and lost the single wildcard playoff game.

As fail as the Angels are, and as bad as they are at front office decisions, this was a decent signing. Very little downside, and there's a chance Murphy might have enough left in the tank to help them. I always felt his departure from MLB was premature.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Changes in 2023 make the standings look funny and somewhat unexpected. Between the banning of the shift, some unexpected good (and bad) performances, and a schedule which has fewer inter-division games, we now have the following situation on June 13:

- The first place AL Central team has a .500 record

- The last place AL East team is just one game under .500, and the 4th place team has won over 55% of its games

- The supposedly hapless Texas Rangers are 4.5 games up in the AL West

- Only the Braves (40-26) and Nationals (26-38) are performing as expected in the NL East. The high-spending NY Mets are 4 games under .500, the 2022 NL champ Phillies are two games under .500, and the low budget Marlins are 37-30. The Marlins are the 4th best NL team, just 0.5 games worse than the Dodgers.

- The low budget Pirates, also expected to be terrible, are in first with a 34-30 record. The Cardinals, while playing a bit better for a stretch, are back in the toilet, and sit with a 27-40 record in last place, just 1.5 games better than the NL-worst Nationals.

- The star-studded Padres and rebuilding Diamondbacks are occupying each other's expected spots. The D-backs are somehow 4 games up in first place, with an NL-best 41-25 record. The disappointing Padres are 31-34. The 37-29 Dodgers, who are in second, are NOT really a disappointment. They intentionally left holes in the team due to a desire to get under the luxury tax and reset it. This is about the record I expected them to have. They've actually overperformed, given the unexpected injuries to Gavin Lux, Julio Urias, and others.

- The Dodgers were expected to have some offensive woes this year due to the departure of players like Trea Turner, Justin Turner, and Cody Bellinger, and replacing them mostly with rookies. But the Dodgers easily lead the NL in runs scored (5.56 per game), and have several players (Betts, Freeman, JD Martinez, Muncy) in baseball's top 20 HR hitters. The pitching has been fairly bad, especially recently, which is what has been holding them back. This is one of the rare years where a good Dodgers offense is combined with bad pitching.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Will Luis Arraez of the Marlins hit .400?

He's currently at .391 through 62 games, and has hit .408 over the past 3 weeks.

I don't think he'll make it. As Tony Gwynn once said (who may have succeeded in 1994 if the strike hadn't happened), "It's just too damn hard."

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Will Luis Arraez of the Marlins hit .400?

He's currently at .391 through 62 games, and has hit .408 over the past 3 weeks.

I don't think he'll make it. As Tony Gwynn once said (who may have succeeded in 1994 if the strike hadn't happened), "It's just too damn hard."
    Hard to believe Tony Gwynn is dead and that SOB Steve Garvey is still alive.

Load Metric
    Dodgers Rumors: LA Reportedly Has 2-Year Offer On Table to Aroldis Chapman

✅ Has been closer

✅ Domestic violence

Load Metric
    @San, is this new and just really known regionally, cause I had never seen this. ESPN piece on Yoshida. Guess he always loved Harper, they play in Philly and meet and normal pleasantries....but this shirt....

Name:  FveNckjWwAUZfE4.jpeg
Views: 147
Size:  411.2 KB

He's wearing it, Red Sox twitter posted it, ESPN posted the tweet in the article.

Does everyone know its a cock representation? At least someone in that procession had no clue.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    @San, is this new and just really known regionally, cause I had never seen this. ESPN piece on Yoshida. Guess he always loved Harper, they play in Philly and meet and normal pleasantries....but this shirt....

He's wearing it, Red Sox twitter posted it, ESPN posted the tweet in the article.

Does everyone know its a cock representation? At least someone in that procession had no clue.
    Interesting.

I don’t give any particular damn about the Red Sox any more. I’m only exposed to this sort of thing via sports talk on the radio in the car. Of course, no one is going to address anything remotely related to “Pride” or sexual preference on a public forum like radio. Not if they like their job and are dependent on outside income to survive in 2023. Personally, I don’t give enough of a fuck to expend my own energy looking into this.

You know what I find more interesting is Dodger fail. Just typing that sentence makes me happy. Dopamine rush.

On June 15th I bought the Dodgers to miss the playoffs @ +1100. Three days later the world is beginning to catch a glimmer of what I saw and it’s +600 today

Dodgers have been annually declared the “greatest team of all time” for over ten years running. Who am I to disagree?

I posted elsewhere gut about the “Risk of Ruin” podcast on the Driveline founder and his rise from poker to reigning king of velocity. Kinda required listening. Great story coincidently

Comments

gut: will check out the pod

NickyPipes: I think they’ll make it but it’s a good value bet that’s fun to sweat. Hope they do miss. Would prefer anyone else

Thread Information