Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL *** MLB 2023 Thread

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    https://twitter.com/ToddWitteles/status/1658669149055496195

At about 2pm, I abruptly decided to fire on the night's Dodgers game. Not fire a bet, but fire on tickets.

I brought up Stubhub, and immediately spied front row loge (2nd level) seats between home and 1B for $58 each (after fees). Obviously insane value there, so I grabbed it. They did get me for $51 for preferred parking, because the general parking can stick you in an awful lot which can take hours to get out of.

Took Benjamin, and we were all set to see Kershaw dominate again, and for the Twins to lose to the Dodgers for the 12th time in a row (not kidding).

Except Kershaw's mom just died, his head wasn't in the game, and from the first pitch, he was just off. Dodgers bats were dead, and they went down 5-1.

It was only 3-1 in the 8th when they loaded the bases with 2 outs, so that was exciting, but Chris Taylor flew out as a pinch hitter to end it.

Will Smith was resting. Lineup looked REALLY thin, with Heyward batting 3rd (what??), and the 6th-9th spots of Outman (now slumping badly), Peralta, Rojas, and Barnes. Ouch. And we were facing Bailey Ober, who is having a huge year.

No idea why they didn't pinch hit with Smith instead of Taylor in the 8th.

They really need Smith in the lineup every day. They can't sit him. Let him DH if he needs a break from catching, and sit Martinez on those days. Smith is having a career year with the bat so far.

Oh well.. was fun anyway, and Ben enjoyed it. He always gets so excited when I surprise him with tickets I bought.
    If you followed my YRFI in stupidity wagering - tickets woulda been paid for by Kershaw.

As I pointed out he’s a sweet kid but not Scherzer. Bad spot for Kershaw.

I couldn’t help but notice the nearly empty stadium late in the game when they were only down 3-1. Looked like Oakland on tv. When did you leave?

You’ll know your little boy is growing up when the cynicism about the Dodgers sets in.

We are supposed to take Minny F5 today but I haven’t done it yet.

Load Metric
    https://twitter.com/ToddWitteles/status/1658669149055496195

At about 2pm, I abruptly decided to fire on the night's Dodgers game. Not fire a bet, but fire on tickets.

I brought up Stubhub, and immediately spied front row loge (2nd level) seats between home and 1B for $58 each (after fees). Obviously insane value there, so I grabbed it. They did get me for $51 for preferred parking, because the general parking can stick you in an awful lot which can take hours to get out of.

Took Benjamin, and we were all set to see Kershaw dominate again, and for the Twins to lose to the Dodgers for the 12th time in a row (not kidding).

Except Kershaw's mom just died, his head wasn't in the game, and from the first pitch, he was just off. Dodgers bats were dead, and they went down 5-1.

It was only 3-1 in the 8th when they loaded the bases with 2 outs, so that was exciting, but Chris Taylor flew out as a pinch hitter to end it.

Will Smith was resting. Lineup looked REALLY thin, with Heyward batting 3rd (what??), and the 6th-9th spots of Outman (now slumping badly), Peralta, Rojas, and Barnes. Ouch. And we were facing Bailey Ober, who is having a huge year.

No idea why they didn't pinch hit with Smith instead of Taylor in the 8th.

They really need Smith in the lineup every day. They can't sit him. Let him DH if he needs a break from catching, and sit Martinez on those days. Smith is having a career year with the bat so far.

Oh well.. was fun anyway, and Ben enjoyed it. He always gets so excited when I surprise him with tickets I bought.
    Ober is a fascinating story that really only happens in baseball, with how the draft is structured.

He commits to college, has an amazing freshman year, then needs TJ and redshirts a year. Comes back and pitches decently, but not great. The Dodgers take a flyer and draft him in 23rd round and presumably tried to just offer slot, and he didn't sign and went back to school. Has another decent/not dominant season before having back problems.

Twins take a flyer next draft and take him in the 12th round and offer him slot. He signs. Immediately begins tearing up the minors once fully healthy despite not getting a ton of attention on prospect lists. He is well on his way now to cementing a spot in the rotation for the big league club if his season continues this way.

90% of the time, you see a pitcher drafted in the 12th round that just screams "possible fringe reliever/mop-up guy at MLB", but Ober was a different story.

Comments

Sanlmar: Great post. Salud

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Well, I picked the wrong Minnesota game.

Monday night was an exciting slugfest which went 12 innings with various changed leads, and Dodgers won with a walkoff walk, 9-8.

Today James Outman (who has been slumping badly) hit a grand slam to break a 3-3 tie.

Yesterday was a failgame where the Dodgers couldn't do anything right.

Load Metric
    Dodgers STL

I had STL team total over 3.5 and game over 8.5. Not a big Urias guy.

I shut it off in the 4th inning after both bets were settled and the score was 7-2 STL.

Freeman’s 300th HR was a grand slam. It’s 9-8 now

I will be rendered mute if Dodger pull off a win. 2 more innings

STL is not good but this is still an achievement. respect with a small r

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Dodgers STL

I had STL team total over 3.5 and game over 8.5. Not a big Urias guy.

I shut it off in the 4th inning after both bets were settled and the score was 7-2 STL.

Freeman’s 300th HR was a grand slam. It’s 9-8 now

I will be rendered mute if Dodger pull off a win. 2 more innings

STL is not good but this is still an achievement. respect with a small r
    Wow, I turned this off. Will turn it back on.

Cardinals looking a bit better recently because Arenado is finally hitting, but their pitching has been really bad.

Load Metric
    I would think a 2-19 stretch for Barnes is par for the course.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Dodgers are bringing up Bobby Miller to start on Tuesday... in Atlanta! Ouch!

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...atlanta-braves

Miller is one of two prospects they hope will be the future of the organization's starting pitching in the second half of the 2020s, along with Ryan Pepiot.

Pepiot, who is presently injured, has already pitched a bit for the team in 2022, going for a bit over 36 innings. He has done okay, but has battled control issue, walking 27 in that span (!!)

Miller has not yet pitched in the Majors. He recently had shoulder soreness, though pitched well in his last outing in the minors.

Dodgers looking very thin on pitching right now, given the injuries to May, Urias, and of course Buehler. Kershaw was ineffective in his last 2 starts, which may or may not have to do with the death of his mom (leaving him with no living parents at age 35). Gonsolin is pitching well in limited action since coming off the DL. The rest of the staff has sucked, including Syndergaard, who is just not the same guy he once was. The parade of stopgap pitchers from the minors does not look good.

Expect the Dodgers to struggle for awhile due to this issue -- along with the fact that the bottom half of the lineup is bad, as expected.

Load Metric
    Dodgers are bringing up Bobby Miller to start on Tuesday... in Atlanta! Ouch!

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...atlanta-braves

Miller is one of two prospects they hope will be the future of the organization's starting pitching in the second half of the 2020s, along with Ryan Pepiot.

Pepiot, who is presently injured, has already pitched a bit for the team in 2022, going for a bit over 36 innings. He has done okay, but has battled control issue, walking 27 in that span (!!)

Miller has not yet pitched in the Majors. He recently had shoulder soreness, though pitched well in his last outing in the minors.

Dodgers looking very thin on pitching right now, given the injuries to May, Urias, and of course Buehler. Kershaw was ineffective in his last 2 starts, which may or may not have to do with the death of his mom (leaving him with no living parents at age 35). Gonsolin is pitching well in limited action since coming off the DL. The rest of the staff has sucked, including Syndergaard, who is just not the same guy he once was. The parade of stopgap pitchers from the minors does not look good.

Expect the Dodgers to struggle for awhile due to this issue -- along with the fact that the bottom half of the lineup is bad, as expected.
    You conveniently redacted the headline. Atlanta’s Spencer Strider is pitching against your young Mr Miller. Daly is gonna be pissed you glossed over this fact. This is the biased reporting that is responsible for so much unrest in our country.

Strider’s ghost fork is the 2nd or 3rd best pitch in all of baseball. (Graterol used to have a top three pitch). Strider is everyone’s K prop darling. Very few humans can resist laddering his strikeouts. I’m gonna take a different approach and bet Strider’s walks. He does walk a skosh more than we’d like as all these strikeout artistes do. I’m gonna bet his over 1.5 walks -115 (DK). The Dodger front half of the lineup will have young Spencer thinking too much.

Should be a fun game.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Mike Soroka, the onetime excellent rookie pitcher for the Braves, has hated the 2020s.

He got hurt at the beginning of the shortened (and late) 2020 season, and never made it back to MLB, getting injured each time while rehabbing.

Now, three years later, he's BACK.

And he will be facing the best possible opponent -- the hapless Oakland A's, currently on pace to be the worst MLB team ever.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/...or-braves.html

He was 13-4, with a 2.68 ERA and 1.111 WHIP in 2019.

I had him on my fantasy team the whole way, and have had him on reserve each year at some point. Every draft I have picked him up again on reserve for $1, including this year.

Obviously he could be a shell of his former self, but he is still only 25, and has a chance to become good again.

Load Metric
    Mike Soroka, the onetime excellent rookie pitcher for the Braves, has hated the 2020s.

He got hurt at the beginning of the shortened (and late) 2020 season, and never made it back to MLB, getting injured each time while rehabbing.

Now, three years later, he's BACK.

And he will be facing the best possible opponent -- the hapless Oakland A's, currently on pace to be the worst MLB team ever.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/...or-braves.html

He was 13-4, with a 2.68 ERA and 1.111 WHIP in 2019.

I had him on my fantasy team the whole way, and have had him on reserve each year at some point. Every draft I have picked him up again on reserve for $1, including this year.

Obviously he could be a shell of his former self, but he is still only 25, and has a chance to become good again.
    M-m-m my Sorokin. It’s like it was yesterday I was using that Knack lyric here.

The RL Oakland train is gonna be hard to stop and I don’t want to be idling on those tracks at the crossing. Public isn’t gonna dive into Sorokin when they build their parlays with the Dodgers, for instance.

Oakland’s Blackburn is another rehab guy making his first start. He’s had too many issues to review here. They say he’s built up his pitch count but it’s the Braves who will be working him. I see a grab bag of bullpen on both sides and I’m snatching over 8 now while I can

Load Metric
    Beware B. Miller confusion tomorrow. One for Dodgers and one for Seattle

Seattle B. Miller’s 70% fastball usage makes no sense to me how he is sporting those nifty numbers. He’s succeeded against some good teams. I haven’t seen him pitch. I just can’t get involved tonight. Will monitor

I’ll let wow make the call on Dodgers. He’s earned it.

There’s a contrarian argument for Wash +1.5 but I’ve been happy lately with baseball and don’t need the headache. Scratch that … Dodgers kill righties

Load Metric
    im blacking out tonight im just betting whatever todge gives me

Load Metric
    4 words father of the year

Load Metric

Seattle B. Miller’s 70% fastball usage makes no sense to me how he is sporting those nifty numbers. He’s succeeded against some good teams. I haven’t seen him pitch. I just can’t get involved tonight. Will monitor

There’s a contrarian argument for Wash +1.5 but I’ve been happy lately with baseball and don’t need the headache
    I'm the biggest baseball nerd I know, and I have no idea what Seattle's B. Miller's first name is.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post

There’s a contrarian argument for Wash +1.5 but I’ve been happy lately with baseball and don’t need the headache
    I'm the biggest baseball nerd I know, and I have no idea what Seattle's B. Miller's first name is.
    That's because he's on the Dodgers.

It's Bobby.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post

That's because he's on the Dodgers.

It's Bobby.
    Lol

Name:  032D23A7-2CB8-4AE4-A734-3AAA82EACAC7.jpeg
Views: 97
Size:  88.4 KB

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Oh shit, I guess I didn't know about Seattle's B. Milller either.

Crap.

I misread Sanlmar's post. I thought Seattle was playing Dodgers, and that's what he was talking about.

But yeah, two little known B. Millers pitching tomorrow. Weird.

Load Metric
    ouuuuuch super embarrassing for you tbone

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by lol wow View Post
    ouuuuuch super embarrassing for you tbone
    Gotta read my own site more carefully

Apologies to Sanlmar and gut

I actually thought gut was the one who misread.

Thread Information