Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL *** MLB 2023 Thread

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Anyway, Dansby Swanson signed with the Twins. Brandon Nimmo went back to the Mets. That's almost it for the big name free agents. The last two left are Carlos Correa and Carlos Rodon, both of whom will end up overpaid. The rest are either failplayers or has-beens. Actually lots of has-beens available, including David Price, JD Martinez, Noah Syndergaard, Brandon Belt, Evan Longoria, Nelson Cruz, Craig Kimbrel, Aroldis Chapman, Wil Myers, Johnny Cueto, Jean Segura, Zack Greinke, and yes, even Justin Turner. If it were 2015, you could create a really strong team with this bunch. None of these players will make much of an impact in 2023. The rest of the crew is pretty motley. You can see it here: https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/

Chris Bassitt is decent and would be a good addition somewhere,

Carlos Rodon looked great the last year, but keep in mind he was very mediocre from 2015-18, and barely pitched in 2019-20. So good luck with that if you sign him.
    I was wondering how I hadn't heard about that, then realized its fake news with Swanson. He did have a conference call with the Twins, I still think Twins view him as a backup option if they don't bring Correa back.

I thought, at the beginning of FA, Twins had maybe a 20% chance of re-signing him. I'd now say they might be the favorites. Bogaerts signing before him is a sign this SS market isn't as robust as once thought. Who is left for Correa?

Dodgers sound out on him because of PR reasons
    Boston has an obvious new hole but they have spent a lot already
    Atlanta in the same boat
    Yankees want to go young, have 2 lottery tickets ready to play at the position.
    Minnesota, Giants, Cubs I would say are the 3 favorites to land Correa or Swanson. Boston also if they want to. Could argue teams that are towards the later stages of rebuilds could be darkhorses...Seattle, Baltimore, Arizona etc.

Word is Twins have offered Correa multiple contracts, shorter with higher AAV mixed with longer ones. Turner's deal really kinda fucked up the market, Twins don't want to offer 11 years.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Oh wait, so the Swanson thing wasn't real? I was reading about it like it was pretty much a done deal. However, upon googling it now, I don't see the deal reported anywhere.

Weird. So I guess he's still on the market.

He would actually make sense for the Dodgers, but I imagine his price tag is too high for what they want to pay. It appears Friedman is just totally turned off by the overpriced nature of this year's free agent class.

Dodgers have a million holes this year. I'd be shocked if this team sniffs anywhere close to 111 wins, and not just because the Padres have improved. They don't have closer, and probably won't get one. I don't know why they don't go for Adam Ottavino, who has a high ceiling, and comes fairly cheap. Each year he's either excellent or terrible, but 2022 was one of the excellent years. Good lottery ticket as your closer if you can get him cheap.

They have holes at SS, OF, and SP. The starting rotation has the possibility of being a disaster, since they lost Anderson and Heaney, and Buehler will miss the entire year. That leaves Urias and the oft-injured Kershaw, Gonsolin, and May. It's not unrealistic that this could result in a rotation of Urias and four minor league dwarves. Offensively, they've lost Bellinger, Trea Turner, and perhaps also Justin Turner (I'm guessing he returns). They might actually try Gavin Lux at SS, which could be a disaster.

Not feeling too optimistic. The Dodgers blew it with their superteam, by leaving a few holes which were deadly in the postseason, and now they are coming back with a much weaker version in 2023. as Betts and Freeman continue to age. Sad!

Load Metric
    The Stuart Sternbergs and Bob Nuttings must be fucking loving Steve Cohen around now.

Its a Christmas CBT miracle!

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Chris Bassitt now has a 3-year, $63m deal with the Blue Jays. This also means I lose him, because he's on my NL-only fantasy team.

This doesn't leave a whole lot of quality starting pitchers still in free agency, other than Carlos Rodon.

Maybe the Dodgers will bring back Ross Stripling.

Load Metric
    I feel like I’m s’posed to type up some Dodgers eulogy about the past decade. Unfulfilled promise and all that. I’ll let you grieve in peace.

Betts/Trea/Freeman carrying a team and winning 100+ games was some epic times. When one was rested (usually Betts) the whole thing sputtered and stumbled.

The only similar phenomenon I can recall personally was Ortiz and Manny Ramirez.

Tatis to Yankees trade rumor was crazy. New York Mets v Yankees battle is god mode fun.

Load Metric
    Anybody catch that 3 team trade sending Murphy to ATL? While the ATL-OAK aspect gets all the attention, mainly being that OAK could trade their current catcher because their catcher-in-waiting is ready to go and was acquired from....you guessed it....the Braves in the Olson trade last year. Oakland is essentially a AAA team for Atlanta right now.

But, ATL, had to clear a roster logjam, and OAK had no need for Contreras, a bat-first (bat-only really) catcher. Thus Milwaukee gets to swoop in and get a heist of the century.

Braves get catcher Sean Murphy, giving up Kyle Muller, Royber Salinas, Justin Yeager, Freddy Tarnok, Manny Piña and William Contreras.

Brewers get William Contreras, Joel Payamps, Justin Yeager, giving up Esteury Ruiz.

A’s get Kyle Muller, Esteury Ruiz, Freddy Tarnok, Royber Salinas and Manny Piña, giving up Sean Murphy and Joel Payamps.
    Brewers get a young all-star (last year) DH who can masquerade as a catcher, an MLB reliever, and a JAG minor league reliever....for Ruiz, a speedy OF prospect who sucked 3 years in a row before having a breakout year in the minors last year. Ruiz still not regarded too high by scouts, basically speed as his only tool. He's only 23, but his future has a much higher probability of "Terrence Gore" than "Rickey Henderson".

Tampa gets all the press for building great teams with shoestring payrolls, but Milwaukee should get some attention as well for doing it as well.

Comments

Sanlmar:

Load Metric
    basically speed as his only tool.
    You’re on top of the rules changes regarding the number of times a pitcher can throw to first etc?

Speed in 2023 and how it changes the game is really gonna be interesting to watch. Is anybody tooling up for this that you have seen?

Certain smart teams could put a ghost runner on second every inning.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    basically speed as his only tool.
    You’re on top of the rules changes regarding the number of times a pitcher can throw to first etc?

Speed in 2023 and how it changes the game is really gonna be interesting to watch. Is anybody tooling up for this that you have seen?

Certain smart teams could put a ghost runner on second every inning.
    Not especially, from what I have seen. Admittedly I didn't pay super close attention to last years draft, which would have been the first sign of it. I imagine if anyone was, at would be the usual suspects....Tampa and etc.

I think the banning of the shift will create more opportunities for these speed guys than the " speed" rules alone. The guys have to get on base first. Speedy, pull-heavy ground ball hitter? Might be able to hit .250 now vs .210 last year.

Look at this Ruiz kid, he basically profiles as a Vince Coleman type with maybe more power. Coleman had a great career in the 80's....get on base at only a .315ish clip but can turn half of those into phantom doubles.

1986 Vince Coleman wouldn't have sniffed an MLB roster the last 15 years. If he had, it would have been as a "Terrence Gore" type. These changes might make those types of guys rosterable again, which is fun.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    Anybody catch that 3 team trade sending Murphy to ATL? While the ATL-OAK aspect gets all the attention, mainly being that OAK could trade their current catcher because their catcher-in-waiting is ready to go and was acquired from....you guessed it....the Braves in the Olson trade last year. Oakland is essentially a AAA team for Atlanta right now.

But, ATL, had to clear a roster logjam, and OAK had no need for Contreras, a bat-first (bat-only really) catcher. Thus Milwaukee gets to swoop in and get a heist of the century.

Braves get catcher Sean Murphy, giving up Kyle Muller, Royber Salinas, Justin Yeager, Freddy Tarnok, Manny Piña and William Contreras.

Brewers get William Contreras, Joel Payamps, Justin Yeager, giving up Esteury Ruiz.

A’s get Kyle Muller, Esteury Ruiz, Freddy Tarnok, Royber Salinas and Manny Piña, giving up Sean Murphy and Joel Payamps.
    Brewers get a young all-star (last year) DH who can masquerade as a catcher, an MLB reliever, and a JAG minor league reliever....for Ruiz, a speedy OF prospect who sucked 3 years in a row before having a breakout year in the minors last year. Ruiz still not regarded too high by scouts, basically speed as his only tool. He's only 23, but his future has a much higher probability of "Terrence Gore" than "Rickey Henderson".

Tampa gets all the press for building great teams with shoestring payrolls, but Milwaukee should get some attention as well for doing it as well.
    Yes I did see that. I stupidly released Contreras in fantasy after the 2021 season, believing he wouldn't get playing time due to Travis D'Arnaud hitting well. Oops. Didn't really think of the DH. But yes, this is a nice haul for the Brewers.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Funny that right after I post about Stripling, the Giants grab him for 2 years, $25m. Not a huge risk, and Zaidi is familiar with Stripling due to his tenure on the Dodgers. Stripling did fairly well in 2022, but his numbers before that aren't particularly good. Fairly low risk signing, I guess, but it's not like picking up a player from the scrap heap for the minimum.

Stripling also benefiting from the fact that there aren't that many reliable midgrade pitchers available. This is why Bassitt, who is upper-midgrade, got over $20m per year.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Now I have two reasons to boo Correa.

Signed a 13-year deal with the Giants, worth $350m.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...year-350m-deal

Interestingly, the Giants hadn't given a player $100m+ since Jonny Cueto in 2015.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Justin Turner to the Sawks for 2 years.

JD Martinez joins the Dodgers for 1 year, $10m.

That leaves just two players from the 2017 Dodgers World Series team remaining on the squad -- Clayton Kershaw and Chris Taylor. Julio Urias was on the team then, but barely pitched that year.

Everyone else is gone.

Silver
    Load Metric
    Justin Turner to the Sawks for 2 years.

JD Martinez joins the Dodgers for 1 year, $10m.

That leaves just two players from the 2017 Dodgers World Series team remaining on the squad -- Clayton Kershaw and Chris Taylor. Julio Urias was on the team then, but barely pitched that year.

Everyone else is gone.
    Yet somehow Dave Roberts remains. Go figure.

Comments

country978: '04 Sox

Load Metric
    Now I have two reasons to boo Correa.

Signed a 13-year deal with the Giants, worth $350m.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...year-350m-deal

Interestingly, the Giants hadn't given a player $100m+ since Jonny Cueto in 2015.
    Back down to one reason.

I'm going to assume Zaidi and the Giants FO got wasted for their holiday party, drunk-dialed Boras like "yeah, fuck it, $350m!" Then woke up the next day with buyers remorse. Luckily you have full refunds offered in sports, in way of "seeing something off in the medicals."

Mets showed no hesitation to scoop him up. Granted, they are scooping up anyone....but this is still the same team that drafted Rocker in the 1st round and then didnt sign him due to medicals.

Load Metric
    re: Trevor Bauer reinstatement, funny how it works out for the Dodgers...the amount they will still be obligated for 2023 salary (22mil) puts them just 1 million below the salary tax limit...then again, the reinstatement was the result of an arbitration...i figure the Dodgers wanted no reinstatement thus no obligation for 2023, the other major league teams wanted immediate reinstatement with all of 2023 obligated...the settlement was for first 50 games of 2023 are salary forfeit, leaving the Dodgers with no tax, yet room to add without paying tax, and this time they would incur 3 year penalty...decision worthy of Solomon?
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Looks like Correa's medical issues were real. It wasn't just the Giants -- who haven't handed out a big contract in 7 years -- with a case of buyer's remorse.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...-medical-issue

Mets are now "working with" Correa, regarding a "medical issue" with his right leg.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Correa back to the Twins... probably.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...y-line-2022-23

Not clear if he passed the physical though lol

Load Metric
    Correa back to the Twins... probably.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...y-line-2022-23

Not clear if he passed the physical though lol
    Couldn't have worked out better for the Twins. They get him for LESS than their original offer to him. Physical will be fine, they gave him one last year.

Sure if he goes to shit as a player in 3 years, whatever. Jokes on my team then. But for now just lolzzzzz.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Miguel Rojas to Dodgers for prospect Jacob Amaya.

Dodgers apparently didn't trust Gavin Lux at SS. Which makes sense, because he is not much of a defender, and would be a disaster there.

This will push Lux to 2B and Muncy to 3B. And Chris Taylor probably going to be in CF now.

So this is what the lineup probably looks like:

Betts RF
    Lux 2B
    Freeman 1B
    Smith C
    Muncy 3B
    JD Martinez DH
    Taylor LF
    Outman/Thompson CF
    Rojas SS

Not sure where Miguel Vargas (3B prospect) fits into this now, unless he just plays when Lux or Muncy sits.

There's talk that the Dodgers will acquire a CF so they won't have to go with the Trayce Thompson/James Outman combo, but we'll see.

Load Metric
    Dodgers apparently didn't trust Gavin Lux at SS. Which makes sense, because he is not much of a defender, and would be a disaster there..
    I wrote about Lux’s awful defense last year. Lux never learned how to throw a baseball. It’s been astounding to watch. Now we are being denied seeing him at short. Sigh

The infield is still gonna be fun to watch

Gonna miss the power trio Betts, Trea Turner, Freeman. They carried that team. Legendary. Sincerelynwas fun to follow. They will shuffle the lineup going forward, I’m sure.

Fraudman protege, l'chaim Bloom, has Justin Turner penciled in at DH. Say what? MLB DH? Absolutely destroying the Red Sox. Bloom is a Dodger plant in retribution for 2018

Kike & Verdugo …. my punishment, I suppose, for disrespecting the Blue
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 01-12-2023 at 12:16 PM.

Thread Information