Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL *** MLB 2023 Thread

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Dodgers have struggled in games I've been to over the past 4 seasons.

Today I will try to get an easy W by going to a game against Oakland.

Seats were unsurprisingly a good price, given that it's Oakland on a Tuesday night with no promotion.

I actually got a better deal on my last game (by $11), but this was also a very good price. I'm the king of Stubhub when it comes to MLB value.

Let's hope Gonsolin isn't terrible again.

Comments

BCR: That PST is something. It’s already Wed here

gut: ^^^^^^ no wonder seats so cheap

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    The year was 2006.

A high school senior named Clayton Kershaw struck out all 15 batters he faced, and the game was called after 5 innings due to the mercy rule.

If only he knew he would eventually be routinely mocked by a poster named Sanlmar on an eighth tier poker forum.

https://twitter.com/Thomas_Carrieri/status/1683573338294059009

Load Metric
    What is even more remarkable about that High School performance was that he did that in a PLAYOFF game. It did not foretell his professional career in that regard.

I have a question: Did Kershaw ever win a championship in HS or on youth travel travel teams? I actually don’t know but now that you bring it up Druff.

Comments

Sheesfaced: Got ‘em

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    What is even more remarkable about that High School performance was that he did that in a PLAYOFF game. It did not foretell his professional career in that regard.

I have a question: Did Kershaw ever win a championship in HS or on youth travel travel teams? I actually don’t know but now that you bring it up Druff.
    I don't know. I just knew he was a standout Texas HS pitcher whom the Dodgers drafted, and then he appeared in MLB in 2008, at age 20.

Part of his heart will always be in Texas, and he kept considering signing with the Rangers in free agency. In fact, he could have gotten a multiyear deal for a lot more $ than the Dodgers gave, in recent years.

Instead, Kershaw chose to stay with the only team he's ever known, repeatedly signing 1-year deals, presumably so he can retire when he feels like it. Gotta respect that.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    This is the lineup I'll be seeing:

https://twitter.com/Dodgers/status/1686860736872710144

Sadly JD and his 25 HR will be on the bench, due to hamstring issues.

LOL Rosario batting cleanup. I don't care about this lefty/righty shit, that just ain't correct.

At least I'll get to see the antics of Kike' Hernandez.

Miguel Rojas taking JD's place in the lineup is pretty brutal. No depth on this team.

Will Smith slumping. Since June 20, he's had just 1 HR.

Freddie would probably be MVP this year if not for Acuna, who is almost assured to get it at this point. Very little MVP drama in baseball this year. We can pretty much already hand it to Acuna and Ohtani, and save the trouble of voting.

Comments

Sanlmar: Padres/Dodgers even money parlay. I’ll be with you sweating this out. Lotsa runs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    This is the lineup I'll be seeing:

https://twitter.com/Dodgers/status/1686860736872710144

Sadly JD and his 25 HR will be on the bench, due to hamstring issues.

LOL Rosario batting cleanup. I don't care about this lefty/righty shit, that just ain't correct.

At least I'll get to see the antics of Kike' Hernandez.

Miguel Rojas taking JD's place in the lineup is pretty brutal. No depth on this team.
    Should have Kike' at SS to get your moneys worth

Comments

Sanlmar: oof

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    Does it get an asterisk being that it was vs a AAA team?
    German out for year for alcohol rehab. Hopefully he wasnt reading this here and got sad about his gem.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Well it was 7-0 by the end of 2, so the game was a snoozer, though at least it was fun seeing the Dodgers hit a million HR. Rojas must have read my post, and hit his first one in over a year.

Load Metric
    The Orioles have 67 wins in the tough AL East and are just getting stronger. That’s just crazy.

They have been just numbers to me. I know nothing about them

I’m such a degenerate that I learned that I bet them on July 18th @ +380 to win the AL East and completely forgot about that and them.

They are now -125. I can cash out my $100 bet now and get $231 (legalized wagering lulz)

I better do some reading and get a fix on the big picture.

Load Metric

Load Metric
    San, you might want to look away, as I am about to praise the Dodgers.

A small blip in the transactions radar yesterday, but it tells a fascinating story about two teams:
    The White Sox announced they’ve acquired right-handers Aldrín Batista and Máximo Martínez from the Dodgers in exchange for international signing bonus space.
    Read that as the Dodgers calling the Sox and saying "hey, want these two previous international signings of ours? We need more money for better new ones".

Dodgers do have a good record with international scouting/signings. White Sox? They're not like the Angelos era Orioles with literally no international scouts, but their track record in the arena is uh....spotty at best. Some recent hits like Robert and Abreu, but overall not great.

I would wager the Dodgers have 3x as many international scouts as the White Sox.

End of the day, just a funny trade. Older brother selling some broken toys to younger brother.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    San, you might want to look away, as I am about to praise the Dodgers.

A small blip in the transactions radar yesterday, but it tells a fascinating story about two teams:
    The White Sox announced they’ve acquired right-handers Aldrín Batista and Máximo Martínez from the Dodgers in exchange for international signing bonus space.
    Read that as the Dodgers calling the Sox and saying "hey, want these two previous international signings of ours? We need more money for better new ones".

Dodgers do have a good record with international scouting/signings. White Sox? They're not like the Angelos era Orioles with literally no international scouts, but their track record in the arena is uh....spotty at best. Some recent hits like Robert and Abreu, but overall not great.

I would wager the Dodgers have 3x as many international scouts as the White Sox.

End of the day, just a funny trade. Older brother selling some broken toys to younger brother.
    I remember when there were no rules in the international market.

Do teams still build a academies in third world countries? Did MLB restrict that? Actually a positive thing for the communities

Load Metric

Comments

BCR: Thought I couldn’t love Jose any more than I already did. I was wrong.

Sheesfaced: Most hockey looking baseball right I’ve seen

Load Metric
    The life of the fringe player, the "26th man", has always fascinated me. In the way of, like, literally how do these guys survive day-to-day. Living out of a suitcase permanently.

Nick Solak this year. Background; a decent prospect who was all-bat, no glove. The type of prospect who also is primed to be trade bait, as is what happened after being drafted by the Yankees, he was traded twice before making his MLB debut with Texas. Bat never really developed in 4 seasons, and thus he has entered into the 26th-man-perma-DFA territory. His last 9 months:

November 10, 2022: Purchased by the Cincinnati Reds from the Texas Rangers.

March 31, 2023: Purchased by the Seattle Mariners from the Cincinnati Reds.

April 14, 2023: Selected off waivers by the Chicago White Sox from the Seattle Mariners.

April 18, 2023: Selected off waivers by the Atlanta Braves from the Chicago White Sox.

June 9, 2023: Selected off waivers by the Detroit Tigers from the Atlanta Braves.
    He was just DFA'd again by Detroit, and actually wasn't claimed on waivers, so back to AAA. Hope the kid has some nice luggage.

Load Metric

Gold
    Load Metric
    The Oriole's suspended an announcer for referring to a negative stat from last year and compared it to this year. It's strange but maybe not so much in 2023.

https://nypost.com/2023/08/08/debacl...ow-gets-worse/

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Fernando Valenzuela now has a retired number with the Dodgers. His #34 has not been worn since he left the team in 1991.

He did not make it into the HOF, which has been the requirement to retire Dodgers numbers since the late 70s.

They did something similar with Steve Garvey's #6 for awhile, but eventually started giving it away to current players.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...ndo-valenzuela

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Tim Anderson having a REALLY bad season. His OBP is .285, and his SLG is .286. This despite a .240 batting average. He's basically not walking and not hitting anything more than singles.

In 367 AB, he has just 14 extra base hits, 12 of which are doubles. He's walked just 21 times. Ouch.

Load Metric
    Fernando Valenzuela now has a retired number with the Dodgers. His #34 has not been worn since he left the team in 1991.

He did not make it into the HOF, which has been the requirement to retire Dodgers numbers since the late 70s.

They did something similar with Steve Garvey's #6 for awhile, but eventually started giving it away to current players.

Fernando might have made the HOF if Tommy hadn’t forced him throw 130 pitches every outing. Nevertheless, he’s an LA cultural icon. That ‘81 Dodgers team is still my favorite of all time. We finally beat the Yankees! Dodgers are hot right now, but I think their pitching will let them down in the playoffs.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayjami View Post

Fernando might have made the HOF if Tommy hadn’t forced him throw 130 pitches every outing. Nevertheless, he’s an LA cultural icon. That ‘81 Dodgers team is still my favorite of all time. We finally beat the Yankees! Dodgers are hot right now, but I think their pitching will let them down in the playoffs.
    Real fans know the importance of Fernando. The Hall of Fame is impertinent. No one cares any more

Thread Information