Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL *** MLB 2023 Thread

Load Metric
    Speaking of Ohtani….

You think Roger Maris will have to sit thru a bunch of angels games in September?

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

Somehow they walloped the Cards 14-0 yesterday, and got rained out today, but fading them in general wouldn't be the worst idea, as the offense is pretty awful.
    nice call , long dodgers/ short yankees next week ~ couple weeks
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Just Do Your Job"

"Discipline or Regret"

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Cleveland was up 6-1 after 7 on the Cubs, then 6-2 after 8.

Now it's 6-6. Ugly.

The AL Central, with its under-.500 division leader, is really something else.

Load Metric
    I know you have come to rely on me for all things Kershaw -

to see thru Dave Roberts’ nonsense about Kershaw bullpen sessions etc. Roberts has no clue what’s going on.

Kershaw ain’t pitching tomorrow and will be shut down until after the ASG. There is literally no way he’s going out there.

You’re going to now appear to be in the know in front of your LA friends. Wait til the 2pm announcement and get some really cheap seats

Grove is going to be abandoned out there on the mound to take punishment. He’s awful.

Comments

Sheesfaced: He’s right you know

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    I know you have come to rely on me for all things Kershaw -

to see thru Dave Roberts’ nonsense about Kershaw bullpen sessions etc. Roberts has no clue what’s going on.

Kershaw ain’t pitching tomorrow and will be shut down until after the ASG. There is literally no way he’s going out there.

You’re going to now appear to be in the know in front of your LA friends. Wait til the 2pm announcement and get some really cheap seats

Grove is going to be abandoned out there on the mound to take punishment. He’s awful.
    Funny, I was considering going to tonight's game, but it's not happening if Grove is pitching.

Silver
    Load Metric
    The Braves have been on an unreal run, and Acuña is now on pace for a 40/75 season. Obv the SB deserve an asterisk of some sort given the rule changes but still crazy. As a Braves fan it’s been fun to watch and particularly incredible given Fried and Wright have been out this whole time.

And yet despite the Dodgers being a flawed team I want no part of them in the postseason. Too many painful memories of seasons past despite 2021. Watching the Mets fail has been as fun for me as Dodgers fail is for San.

Comments

Sanlmar: Braves and Reds are so much damn fun.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheesfaced View Post
    Watching the Mets fail has been as fun for me as Dodgers fail is for San.
    The difference between Mets fans and Dodger fans is that Mets fans possess an attractive worldly cynicism similar to pre World Series winning Cubs or Red Sox fans.

Dodgers noobs and the baseball press annually anoint Dodger Blue the “Best Team in History”. They actually do. True believers who are convinced that they just run bad. Variance. Yeah, “playoffs are such a crap shoot”. All the while ignoring the repeat winners and WS finalists the past 40 years. Lol, amongst the back to back repeaters and winners were yesterday’s Royals.

I detect a little bit of reality is creeping into LA. A new sophistication and loss of innocence is manifesting.

Ohtani as Dodger savior is a strange new and disgusting Dodger thread. The idea of Ohtani in blue is blasphemous. Ohtani never would have become Ohtani if he was a Dodger. The analytics team and front office would not have let him. Ohtani sacrificed 100’s of millions in his all consuming drive to become the greatest player ever. Dodger money is not the end all and be all for him. What the Dodgers represent will turn him off. Even Angels look more appealing in comparison.

Ohtani and his team know the tag of “greatest ever” will reward him with riches beyond ANY 10 year contract

They say that Ohtani just completed the greatest month of any baseball player in history. Think about that.

Ohtani needs to win a championship to cement the legend.

Comments

Sheesfaced: Cogent

Load Metric
    Trip report from the Dodger AAA affiliate here in Boston.

Kenley Jansen was selected as the only Red Sox player to the All Star team.

I find that ironic on so so many levels. But then again it’s an insult coming from the selection committee too.

Face of Boston is Devers. Power no average but a quirky character. Being odd should count for something.

Congratulations L’chaim Bloom…. you’re playing great

Load Metric
    wtf just happened to that Yankees reliever? Did the wife just call Manfred instead of 911 after a beatdown?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    wtf just happened to that Yankees reliever? Did the wife just call Manfred instead of 911 after a beatdown?
    Yankees got a history of that thing. Bauer woulda fit right in.

Druff’s Dustin May is undergoing season ending surgery. Flexor & clean up up Tommy John from what I gather. I think the Dustin May we once knew is done.

I don’t think we know what kind of Buehler comes out of the other side either.

I need to purchase some futures tomorrow morning.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post

Druff’s Dustin May is undergoing season ending surgery. Flexor & clean up up Tommy John from what I gather. I think the Dustin May we once knew is done.

May
    Urias
    Buehler
    Gonsolin
    Kershaw

None of these guys have a clear future as effective MLB starters. It's scary for the Dodgers. Their pitching staff has completely fallen apart. The only reason this isn't a failteam is because the offense is still good enough to compensate for it somewhat.

I don't think the Dodgers even get much help before the trade deadline. If the team is too far gone pitching-wise, I think the front office just lets them finish wherever, and tries to reset for next year.

Load Metric

May
    Urias
    Buehler
    Gonsolin
    Kershaw

None of these guys have a clear future as effective MLB starters. It's scary for the Dodgers. Their pitching staff has completely fallen apart. The only reason this isn't a failteam is because the offense is still good enough to compensate for it somewhat.

I don't think the Dodgers even get much help before the trade deadline. If the team is too far gone pitching-wise, I think the front office just lets them finish wherever, and tries to reset for next year.
    The Dodgers don’t look like a contender. They should do a salary dump. There’s a really good free agent coming on the market soon. I hear the guy can hit and pitch!

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayjami View Post

May
    Urias
    Buehler
    Gonsolin
    Kershaw

The Dodgers don’t look like a contender. They should do a salary dump. There’s a really good free agent coming on the market soon. I hear the guy can hit and pitch!
    There is a reason Ohtani didn’t choose LAD before. Angels still have playoff possibility and the owner is too dumb to rent Ohtani and get him back next year.

I looked at this today

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/injured-...team/pitching/

Dollar value of players on injury list by position pitching.

Once upon a time pitchers pitched to contact - went deeper into games and bullpens weren’t fried or 30 players deep.

Houston Vasquez springs to mind. We all look at K% when handicapping … “omg his K% is declining fade”. What if he is just changing pitch mix and reducing the 4 seam fastball that results in repeated foul balls? Whiff rate is all we care about.

Some team is gonna moneyball induced ground balls and not whiff rate. Original thinking like Royals began with Openers and bullpen games.

Even Dodgers can’t afford whiff rate - it’s not working for them.

Load Metric
    There is a reason Ohtani didn’t choose LAD before. Angels still have playoff possibility and the owner is too dumb to rent Ohtani and get him back next year.

I looked at this today

Once upon a time pitchers pitched to contact - went deeper into games and bullpens weren’t fried or 30 players deep.

Houston Vasquez springs to mind. We all look at K% when handicapping … “omg his K% is declining fade”. What if he is just changing pitch mix and reducing the 4 seam fastball that results in repeated foul balls? Whiff rate is all we care about.

Some team is gonna moneyball induced ground balls and not whiff rate. Original thinking like Royals began with Openers and bullpen games.

Counterpoint: The Twins were the last org still using the pure "pitch to contact" strat, well into this century. Resulted in repeated first round playoff exits. Now, somewhat ironically, they are the most 3TO team in baseball.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

I looked at this today

Interesting list. The Dodgers lead in both numbers of DL pitchers (16) and number of total DL days of these combined pitchers (896).

I wish they would do a list for "days of projected starting five on DL", and I'm sure the Dodgers would easily lead there.

There is one upside to Julio Urias' problems this year -- both injury and ineffectiveness. This was his last year prior to free agency. Bore-ass is his agent, meaning that if Urias pitched well in 2023 without much injury, he would have been in line for huge money, and the Dodgers wouldn't have paid it.

If 2023 ends up being a complete disaster for Urias, his value will be very much in question, and it's possible he might sign a short deal with the Dodgers to reestablish himself.

Same goes for Walker Buehler, had he not hurt himself in 2022 -- though he's not a FA until 2025. Sometimes the best news for a team long term is a pitcher becoming questionable during a contract year.

Kershaw is past the point of going to another team. He's going to evaluate how he feels in each offseason, and either re-up with the Dodgers for another year, or retire.

The Dodgers have too many pitching needs in 2023 to fix with trades.

In 2024, they will still have Betts, Freeman, Smith, and Muncy under contract. They probably re-up with JD Martinez for a year, since he seems to have worked out. That's a good enough core to keep the runs rolling in, even if the rest of the players are kinda fail.

They'll try to sign Ohtani, but might also need to do a major rebuild on the pitching staff. Will be an interesting offseason, for sure. Won't surprise me if they end up dropping Mets-like money on the 2024 squad, hoping for a non-Mets-like result.

Load Metric

I looked at this today

Interesting list. The Dodgers lead in both numbers of DL pitchers (16) and number of total DL days of these combined pitchers (896).

I wish they would do a list for "days of projected starting five on DL", and I'm sure the Dodgers would easily lead there.

There is one upside to Julio Urias' problems this year -- both injury and ineffectiveness. This was his last year prior to free agency. Bore-ass is his agent, meaning that if Urias pitched well in 2023 without much injury, he would have been in line for huge money, and the Dodgers wouldn't have paid it.

If 2023 ends up being a complete disaster for Urias, his value will be very much in question, and it's possible he might sign a short deal with the Dodgers to reestablish himself.

Same goes for Walker Buehler, had he not hurt himself in 2022 -- though he's not a FA until 2025. Sometimes the best news for a team long term is a pitcher becoming questionable during a contract year.

Kershaw is past the point of going to another team. He's going to evaluate how he feels in each offseason, and either re-up with the Dodgers for another year, or retire.

The Dodgers have too many pitching needs in 2023 to fix with trades.

In 2024, they will still have Betts, Freeman, Smith, and Muncy under contract. They probably re-up with JD Martinez for a year, since he seems to have worked out. That's a good enough core to keep the runs rolling in, even if the rest of the players are kinda fail.

They'll try to sign Ohtani, but might also need to do a major rebuild on the pitching staff. Will be an interesting offseason, for sure. Won't surprise me if they end up dropping Mets-like money on the 2024 squad, hoping for a non-Mets-like result.
    There is talk that the Angels could “rent” Ohtani to another team. As a condition, said team would be prohibited from talking contract with Ohtani. Angels get some number of prospects/players and attempt to resign Ohtani at the conclusion of the season.

The question for you and I is, “will the Dodgers feel compelled to rent Ohtani for the fan base?” Everyone gets into the playoffs. I say this despite my futures bet thet the Dodgers do not - that’s just value. The Dodgers obv are at the end of an era and will need to rebuild.

Do the Dodgers sacrifice prospect lottery tickets for playoff lulz?.

Even the greatest player in MLB history cannot save the Dodgers imo. However, there is a show that must be produced. Real test of Andrew Friedman’s character.

Muncy played a fantastic defensive 3rd base last night. I have been critical in the past and I must make a retraction. Muncy took my money by robbing several hits up the line. I got beat by him and I tip my cap.
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 07-07-2023 at 10:41 AM.

Load Metric
    Not sure if anyone already posted/discussed, but lol wow.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post
    Not sure if anyone already posted/discussed, but lol wow.

He really reminds me of when Iverson entered the NBA. All the unwritten rules dorks got their panties in a bunch, until they eventually realize the dude is just great. Bringing the playground to the pros. I love it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Reds attempting to keep it going with exciting young players carrying the team.

Christian Encarnacion-Strand has been promoted. His name is so long that it doesn't fit on the uniform.

In 316 plate appearances at AAA, he is hitting .331 with 20 HR, and a 1.042 OPS.

He was injured at the beginning of the season, but is showing no signs of lingering trouble from that. We will see if he impresses like the other Reds prospects have.

In less exciting news, Pittsburgh's Liover Peguero (SS) and Quinn Priester (P) are in the lineup today. Priester has never pitched in MLB before, and Peguero appeared in just one game last year. Both are considered possible future regulars for the Pirates.

Load Metric
    In memory of Nick Pipes and the Rays

Orioles to win AL East +380

They are one game behind the Rays.

Thread Information