Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL *** MLB 2023 Thread

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

Dodgers bullpen is back. Went from worst to pretty much first in 10 days.
    I kinda like the dodgers (44-35 currently) to have a decent run next dozen or whatever something such games, gonna look for spots to bet them , they got KC, PIT, LAA coming up
    "Just Do Your Job"

"Discipline or Regret"

Load Metric
    Leaving a space here for Druff to claim once again Dodgers are frugal spenders.
    The Dodgers better offer him $500 million for ten years, and if he doesn’t take that, offer him $600 million. He’s the best athlete I’ve ever seen.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    The rumors from within the organization are that the Dodgers cheaped out this year so they could reset the luxury tax and then drop a heap of cash on Ohtani in 2024.

Of course, not wanting to drive away fans during 2023, they aren't publicly saying this. Just "we have faith in our young players", blah blah. I did not have high hopes for 2023, and so far they are about the team I expected them to be.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayjami View Post
    The Dodgers better offer him $500 million for ten years, and if he doesn’t take that, offer him $600 million. He’s the best athlete I’ve ever seen.
    600 might be too low, if his current pace continues.

35/yr for the best pitcher and best hitter seems right. 10/700 isn't crazy

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayjami View Post

Can you imagine Dodgers giving Ohtani $70m/yr and Mark Prior (pitching coach) gets his mitts on him and he goes out for a year and a half with Tommy John like every single one of his staff

I remember Bo but yes I’m prepared to say Ohtani is the greatest athlete I ever saw

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    "Ohtani hits 14th homer in June in Angels loss", the present ESPN headline, is so 2020s Angels, it's not even funny.

By the way, I remember as a 13-year-old cheering on Pedro Guerrero in 1985, who hit 15 June homers to help propel an expected mediocre Dodgers team into contention. That was also a breakout year for Orel Hershiser, who somehow was unheralded despite an excellent 1984 rookie season. Hershiser still didn't get the credit he deserved until his monster 1988 year.

1985 would have been an exciting year in Dodgers lore, and still spoken of positively today, had it not been for one horrible Tommy Lasorda decision.

He walked a then-mediocre Andy Van Slyke to pitch to fearsome Jack Clark -- the only Cardinal with power, in the 1985 NLCS. Clark hit a home run, the Cardinals won, and the Dodgers 1985 hopes were destroyed.

That's what people remember about 1985, not the exciting summer where Pedro Guerrero, Mike Marshall (the outfielder, not the pitcher), and Orel Hershiser carried a not-so-great team to an NL West title.

Load Metric

Can you imagine Dodgers giving Ohtani $70m/yr and Mark Prior (pitching coach) gets his mitts on him and he goes out for a year and a half with Tommy John like every single one of his staff

I remember Bo but yes I’m prepared to say Ohtani is the greatest athlete I ever saw
    Lol, I forgot Prior was there. Preaching on the bible Dusty ruined him with.

The student may have surpassed the teacher.

Comments

Sanlmar: damn you are good … wp

Load Metric

Don’t forget the Driveline pod I recommended.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    I spend more time on baseball than is healthy but you always crush me with knowledge, gut.

Dodgers bullpen is back. Went from worst to pretty much first in 10 days.

Any opinion on Ohtani to LAD gut? Mookie, Freddie, Ohtani?
    Imagine the pickle the Angels are in now. Trading Ohtani is like trying to gauge the value of an actual unicorn. Soto got Wash basically the top 4 prospects in the Padres system. What the hell would you have to give up for Shohei? He's almost untradeable.

The Angels seriously have to make the world series this year for any chance of Ohtani staying. Dodgers, Giants, Mariners obvious suspects for defection. Sounds like he wants to stay west coast.
    Soto had 2.5 years of control, Ohtani has half a year, Soto was massively more valuable.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by podcast View Post

Imagine the pickle the Angels are in now. Trading Ohtani is like trying to gauge the value of an actual unicorn. Soto got Wash basically the top 4 prospects in the Padres system. What the hell would you have to give up for Shohei? He's almost untradeable.

The Angels seriously have to make the world series this year for any chance of Ohtani staying. Dodgers, Giants, Mariners obvious suspects for defection. Sounds like he wants to stay west coast.
    Soto had 2.5 years of control, Ohtani has half a year, Soto was massively more valuable.
    Yeah sorry, I should have said "trading for Ohtani with the assumption he is signing an extension"

Take out the Soto comp and the question still remains...how much is half a season + playoffs of Ohtani worth? I think it would be shockingly close to the Soto haul, actually.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Angels probably won't trade him. They are in contention for a (crowded) AL wildcard spot, and also have a shot at the AL West title if Texas collapses and Houston never gets it fully together.

If the Angels collapse out of contention, then they try to ship Ohtani.

If they can at least get a playoff berth, they have a chance at riding a hot run to the World Series, and that can erase a lot of the feelings of fail regarding the Trout/Ohtani era which literally produced nothing thus far.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

I was just thinking about Prior. I was wondering when he might be fired, given the Dodgers' uncharacteristic pitching woes this year. Admittedly some of the pitching fail has been due to both injury and front office frugality (see the bullpen), but the pitching has really dragged the Dodgers down in 2023, despite an offense which has performed better than expected.

Maybe they will let him go in the offseason. This year it seems like they're content to just ride it out and let the chips fall where they may.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

I was just thinking about Prior. I was wondering when he might be fired, given the Dodgers' uncharacteristic pitching woes this year. Admittedly some of the pitching fail has been due to both injury and front office frugality (see the bullpen), but the pitching has really dragged the Dodgers down in 2023, despite an offense which has performed better than expected.

Maybe they will let him go in the offseason. This year it seems like they're content to just ride it out and let the chips fall where they may.
    It appears gut and I have an understanding that you may not be privy too.

The injury is kinda the Dodger way.

Prior’s max effort approach may not be healthy or a successful long term strategy. Personally, I think they believe there is a unlimited supply of kids they can wind up to 11 for a while.

The “fail due to injury” is a corporate strategy. Maybe a moneyball (frugal) idea held by Fraudman.

Every single pitcher is in the surgeon’s waiting room or dead arm

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Aaron Judge might come back soon.

Yankees really need it, because honestly their lineup is pretty bad without him.

They also keep running .143 hitting Josh Donaldson out there. Braves were smart to let him walk after the 37 HR in 2019.

Load Metric

Yankees really need it, because honestly their lineup is pretty bad without him.

They also keep running .143 hitting Josh Donaldson out there. Braves were smart to let him walk after the 37 HR in 2019.
    If I could pick a team to hop in and be GM starting tomorrow, Yankees would be like in the bottom third.

Unless George's kids want to start spending like the Mets, the future does not look bright there.

Load Metric
    If Elly De La Cruz is not put on the All Star team I will continue to not watch the ASG.

Big Red Machine

Load Metric

If I could pick a team to hop in and be GM starting tomorrow, Yankees would be like in the bottom third.

Unless George's kids want to start spending like the Mets, the future does not look bright there.
    Try to find a video of Judge hobbling from the dugout to join the celebration following the German perfect game.

Gonna be a month of Sundays

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Try to find a video of Judge hobbling from the dugout to join the celebration following the German perfect game.

Gonna be a month of Sundays
    Might be. He's working out with the team now, which is a positive sign. These foot injuries can stay painful with no progress, and then abruptly get better. I had that myself 8 years ago.

Somehow they walloped the Cards 14-0 yesterday, and got rained out today, but fading them in general wouldn't be the worst idea, as the offense is pretty awful.

Load Metric
    I seriously wonder if, 2 years from now, ESPN moguls are still like "Yeah, lets keep the Yankees vs Sox battle for 4th place in the division on Sunday night....cause EAST COASSSSSSST!"

Load Metric
    I seriously wonder if, 2 years from now, ESPN moguls are still like "Yeah, lets keep the Yankees vs Sox battle for 4th place in the division on Sunday night....cause EAST COASSSSSSST!"
    You might be too young ….

There was once a day when the second place team in the AL East might not make the playoffs. These games mattered. There were no hugs when you reached first base.

There were 90+ win Sawks teams who went straight home after the regular season. Life and death.

Now the regular season is just an exhibition and the games mean almost nothing. Gimme the Reds, Braves or Ohtani. Some kinda Globetrotter shit

Thread Information