Thread: tine you ready for this ?

Banned
    Load Metric

tine you ready for this ?

Comments

sonatine: good lookin out

Load Metric
    let me say up front i fuck with this. dont get me wrong. it _could_ be another vikings caliber saga.

the thing that gives me pause is that its based on the novel, and the novel has gone through a lot of scrutiny over the years and come out looking worse for it.

its super funny you would post this (and that it exists); i really went down the rabbit hole with this novel as well as the first adaptation of it a couple of months ago. funny timing.

but from what i saw, yeah this is going to be toiiiiiiiiight.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Banned
    Load Metric
    cliffs on why the novel has been scrutinized so much ?

I’m not familiar with backstory here, but that trailer made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up

been watching a ton of content about samurai culture, stoicism and specifically the lessons of Miyamoto Musashi

inspiring and mind blowing shit

bring me up to speed if you’d be so kind

Banned
    Load Metric
    tine this is what we’re up against

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    cliffs on why the novel has been scrutinized so much ?

I’m not familiar with backstory here, but that trailer made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up

been watching a ton of content about samurai culture, stoicism and specifically the lessons of Miyamoto Musashi

inspiring and mind blowing shit

bring me up to speed if you’d be so kind

tldr its an extremely shallow and lazy view of japanese civilization and culture, its all very white washed and generally skewed to make the white guy more than a protagonist but kind of a lens through which japan becomes more palatable to other white people.

i consider the movie 'silence' from 2016 to be much more relatable as a lens to view japan through a euroecentric/western perspective.

if youre tucking into musashi miyamoto you should pick this up:

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/102030

i was in SF in the early 1990s in this little bookstore in the mission and was rapping with the dude who owned it about 'the book of five rings'. i confessed that i read it and really didnt get much out of it and he laughed and said he majored in zen studies in college and he didnt get much out of it either. but he encouraged me to pick up that book and its a real joy.

also this is probably the rosetta stone for understanding japan's authentic samurai ethos and psyche;

https://www.amazon.com/Hagakure-Secr...df_4805311983/

Comments

tyde: awesome thanks tine coge as usual

Sanlmar: Not Lewis but I’m in
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Did we not see the original at least once during the last several decades? I think it rivaled Friends for being rerun.

Read the book on the beach before smart phones?

There needs to be a compelling reason to revisit this now common theme. I seem to recall Tom Cruise mining this trope.

Bushido distinguishes between bravery and courage. I don’t have enough of either to confront this remake.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Did we not see the original at least once during the last several decades? I think it rivaled Friends for being rerun.

Read the book on the beach before smart phones?

There needs to be a compelling reason to revisit this now common theme. I seem to recall Tom Cruise mining this trope.

Bushido distinguishes between bravery and courage. I don’t have enough of either to confront this remake.
    Your thinking of the wrong one with Tom Cruise. This one was the mini series out at least when I was young to even have hair on my nutsack and I think Richard Chamberlain was in it.

Thread Information