Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I went to Disneyland yesterday for the first time in almost 7 years. Ask me anything

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I didn't see any signs of wokeness in the park, though I know Disney as a company is very into that, especially because executives are terrified of both the woke Twitter mob and their own woke employees, so they often cave and do stupid things.

However, none of that was apparent during my visit yesterday.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Disneyland is well known for putting out immense effort to provide an impeccable customer experience, especially when it comes to human-to-human customer service.

However, I have seen evidence of cracks in that recently.

First off, a few weeks ago, a friend went to Disneyland and encountered an extremely rude ride operator. This used to be cause for instant firing as recently as a few years ago, but not anymore. Maybe the labor market again?

I did not have any problems with any ride operators. On "Rise of the Resistance", I asked for a front spot, to which the woman in an imperial guard's costume angrily responded, "We do not do requests here! Move on!" While I was initially shocked by this, I quickly realized that this was part of the gimmick on the ride. We were supposed to be "prisoners", and they were acting out a role. I saw her and others take a similar attitude with other guests. So no issue there.

However, while we were on line for Splash Mountain, the ride broke down, and I had used one of my general "lightning lane" passes on it. After standing around for 20 more minutes, and them being unable to provide a status on when/if it will be fixed, I left the line and asked the line manager for my lightning lane pass back. Keep in mind I was NOT asking for any additional compensation. I was simply asking them to return the line pass I used to get into the ride. They refused! I was told that it was my choice to quit the line and give up, even though it had been 20 minutes of delay and could be far longer (and in fact, they conceded the ride may not even reopen). All I wanted was to get my damn pass back and move on, and they refused it. Several other guests were also furious about this.

Later on when I passed by guest services, I explained what happened and they restored the pass. The guy who gave me the pass back laughed and said that it was "ridiculous" they wouldn't give it back to me, and said he couldn't understand why this was refused in the first place. He gave me a better one than I had lost (good on more rides), so at least I benefited a little, aside from the aggravation and lost time.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post
    How long did you go for?

What did you eat for lunch and dinner?
    You skipped me

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    How long did you go for?

You skipped me
    I answered both of these in other responses, so I didn't bother to repeat myself.

But the answers are:

- Went to fast food type place for lunch. Ben's mom got a chicken salad which kinda sucked. I got a chicken sandwich which they fucked up. Ben got a burger which they fucked up. They fixed the chicken sandwich and the burger and took them off the bill for our trouble (because I saw the fuckup coming, warned them to tell the kitchen to make sure to notice the changes, and they fucked up anyway.) We did not eat dinner there, but Ben had a corn dog at dinner time because he was hungry, and then we ate later when we left the park.

- We stayed one night in a hotel, then went to Disneyland/California Adventure in one day, and drove home late at night.

Load Metric
    How long did you go for?

When you were slaying sports wagering pre Covid you took the family to Disneyworld. What was the nut in round figures for that?

I’m guessing $7-8k for a week hotels, travel, food and Disney tickets and trinkets. Minimum.

Thank god those days are behind me. I can’t even remember what I would pay back then. It’s a lot.

Silver
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    How long did you go for?

When you were slaying sports wagering pre Covid you took the family to Disneyworld. What was the nut in round figures for that?

I’m guessing $7-8k for a week hotels, travel, food and Disney tickets and trinkets. Minimum.

Thank god those days are behind me. I can’t even remember what I would pay back then. It’s a lot.
    We're in AZ, usually do 3 days at the parks 4 days at the hotel so we can relax when we get there and sleep in before we jet the last day. 2 adults and 3 kids and it's always been between $2 to$3k a pop.

Have tickets to go in middle of December, probably be the last time for 4 or 5 years after going once to twice a year for the last 6 years. The cost of the park just keeps going up and the quality way down. They shake you down for every little thing, and not a small shake down.

It used to be a state of the art theme park, but Covid did a fucking number on it, bigly. Just hard to justify paying more when the experience just gets worse and worse. Check out the state of Indiana Jones or Splash Mountain, half the animatronics are dead.

Comments

Sanlmar: Hmmm.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Avon Barksdale View Post

We're in AZ, usually do 3 days at the parks 4 days at the hotel so we can relax when we get there and sleep in before we jet the last day. 2 adults and 3 kids and it's always been between $2 to$3k a pop.

Have tickets to go in middle of December, probably be the last time for 4 or 5 years after going once to twice a year for the last 6 years. The cost of the park just keeps going up and the quality way down. They shake you down for every little thing, and not a small shake down.

It used to be a state of the art theme park, but Covid did a fucking number on it, bigly. Just hard to justify paying more when the experience just gets worse and worse. Check out the state of Indiana Jones or Splash Mountain, half the animatronics are dead.
    I remember staying at an A shaped hotel on site in Disneyworld that had a monorail go through it. Very cool. Lunch with the Disney characters. Daily parade downtown. Fireworks. Trams to the car.

No real fail memories except it’s damn hot in Florida

We flew in. Rented a car.

Just remembered chatting with couples (particularly during fireworks) who lived in Orlando who bought annual passes and go at least once a week. It’s a whole Mickey Mouse lifestyle. It’s wasn’t even something you might gentle kid them about. It was serious business for these people.

I swear it was a bigger nut.

You’re a generous dad. Have fun.

Comments

Avon Barksdale: That was for Disneyland. DW easily 7 to 10k depending how you run it
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 11-02-2022 at 09:10 PM.

Load Metric
    didnt read the first page i had to turbo skip to the end how many dole whips did you suck down and did you have physical gastroenterological issues

Load Metric
    was it 3 be honest

Load Metric
    we cant have the walt disney company doing my mans todd like hot dog on a stick did one they know he cant control himself around carnival food 2 he grouponed this somehow and will get max value are they putting pineapple soft serve in the mickey ears for you yet

Load Metric
    Ben had a corn dog at dinner time because he was hungry, and then we ate later when we left the park.

Comments

Sheesfaced:
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Avon Barksdale View Post

I didn't notice the animatronics on Indy being dead. I didn't get to ride Splash Mountain because of the fail while we were in line. By the time the ride went back up, it was cool and moderately windy outside (fine weather for a jacket, but not to get wet), so we didn't go on it.

I was actually impressed with the more modern rides (such as the ones in Star Wars Land). I agree that more could be done to keep up the older rides. Would it kill them to refurbish Matterhorn so it's not so damn jerky? And it kinda seems like Space Mountain has less stuff floating around in space than it used to? But I do like the quality of the newer rides.

You're correct that they keep jacking up the price -- mostly thanks to the intense demand they're getting now.

There's no way you will get away with $2k if you go for 3 days at the park and 4 days at a hotel, for 5 people. My one night hotel and one day park hopper left me $900 lighter -- and that was with spending very little on food.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by lol wow View Post
    didnt read the first page i had to turbo skip to the end how many dole whips did you suck down and did you have physical gastroenterological issues
    You should have read the first page, as you'd have your answer.

I have two strong but competing forces in side of me -- hunger and cheapness. When push comes to shove, cheapness usually wins out. Confine me to a place with expensive food for an extended period of time, and I'll come out a skinny man.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Here is the story with the Genie+/Lightning Lane/Fastpass stuff.

Disney realized a few years ago that they were leaving money on the table by providing the Fastpass (the priority line service, available every so often) for free.

They decided to monetize it by creating an app-based service called "Genie+". Genie+ costs $20/person, and comes with various benefits, but most are useless aside from the Lightning Lane (new fastpass). You do get free access to ride pictures with Genie+, so that's an ok benefit as well. Regardless, anyone who refuses to pay the $20/ticket for Genie+ is a fool, and has no value for their time. 100% you should get it for everyone, even though the surcharge is obnoxious.

Anyway, the Lightning Lane is a special line which exists on most (but not all) major and semi-major rides, and is essentially a priority line. You will still usually wait 5-20 minutes on the Lightning Lane, but rarely more than that, unless the ride breaks down while you're waiting (happened to me twice yesterday).

You can only book one Lightning Lane at a time. However, as soon as you physically enter the Lightning Lane line, you can immediately book another ride. There are only so many of these slots allocated per ride. In the morning, you can book them immediately or fairly soon. However, once you get late morning or early afternoon, a lot of rides only have available bookings hours away. And at night, some of them simply aren't available at all. Depends how busy the day is.

Therefore, the Lightning Lane gets less and less useful, if all you can do with it is book something a few hours out. You are not allowed to show up more than 5 minutes early for your reservation to a Lightning Lane. If you don't show up at all, you lose it completely and cannot rebook the Lightning Lane for that ride. However, you can cancel any reservation out with no penalty of any kind. You can only join the Lightning Lane once per ride per day.

If you don't have a Lightning Lane booked for a ride, then you are stuck in what is called the "standby line", which is the regular line. On "lighter" days such as November 1, these lines tend to be between 45-90 minutes. On crowded days, they will be between 120 and 180 minutes (!!)

However, there is a trick you can utilize which allows you to get extra (and more flexible) Lightning Lane passes.

If you have a reservation for a ride booked, and the ride is broken down at the time your Lightning Lane reservation begins, the app will automatically cancel out your reservation and credit you with a "Multi Experience Pass". This pass is far better than a Lightning Lane reservation. It works on most rides in the park, and is for any time in the day! Furthermore, it applies to many rides without a Lightning Lane (including Pirates of the Caribbean, which sorely needs one), and there is no limit how many times you can use it for one ride. In short, these are great to have.

Obviously it's a great thing when one of your booked Lightning Lane reservations turns into one of these Multi Experience Passes. But how can you know which rides will do this? Nobody can see into the future, right?

Well, in a way you can. If a ride is "temporarily out of service" (that is, not scheduled to be closed, and not considered so fucked that it's done for the day), they will continue to take new reservations for that ride, starting at the projected time they think it will work again. So when you see a ride like this, you can simply book a reservation for it, and hope that it will not reopen by the time your reservation comes. If it doesn't, you get one of those Multi Experience Passes. You can keep doing this in order to build up more and more of those passes.

This trick is not against the Disneyland rules. You are just playing smart, so to speak. I cannot take credit for this strategy. It was told to me by a radio listener who is an expert with Disneyland.

If you go to a Disney park with this Genie+ setup, look for rides showing "temporarily out of service". If that ride has a Lightning Lane, book it immediately, even if it's a ride you really don't want to go on (or even if you had planned to do it later).

FYI, these Multi Experience Passes transfer between Disneyland and California Adventure. However, they only last for the day, so once the parks close, they disappear.

Comments

Jayjami: Awesome advice, thx.

Load Metric
    Was Minnie wearing a strap on and waving a pride flag?
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Ronald Reagan

Load Metric
    I went with son 10 years ago in florida. We went to a water park I went to top with my son it was a straight vertical drop I turned around and waited for him on bottom. The hotel on premises was kind of outdated but ok all in all. Really cool were the racecars. I went on the shuttle was too big for it glad I made it out alive. Epcot was my favorite. the elevated chairs. Had passes for the front of all lines.

Load Metric
    Imagine that the vibe of Disneyland is different than Disney World in Orlando.

Probably less of a thing now as I'm guessing prices have continued to go up but there was a lot of midwestern/southern trash when I went to Disney World my senior year in high school from the impoverished nearby states.

Not quite local fair vibe but definitely a lot of weathered-looking poor people like splitthis milling about that seemed quite out of place at such an establishment.

Comments

mickeycrimm: Which do you prefer, Sloppytard? Homoland or Homoworld?
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Regarding age of the kid, it depends what you're looking to do.

Ben is 12, which is a good age in that he's not a jaded teenager yet, but is also old enough to both be tall enough for every ride and not be scared by anything.

However, he is also too old to get much out of the aspects aimed at children, such as the Disney characters walking around. (On a side note, I hardly saw any of the characters walking around this time! Maybe due to the recent labor shortage?)

Kids in like the 5-8 range will still enjoy Disneyland, but there will be rides where they're either too short or will be scared. Since it's not an extreme rollercoaster park, most 5-year-olds are tall enough to go on most rides, but they're probably not ready for some of the wilder/scarier ones. They will get more out of the Disney themes, though, especially if they're already big Disney fans.

Kids under 5 are just going to be a burden to have there, and will also not remember the trip for the most part. How much do you remember before you were 4? For me, it's almost nothing -- and even when I was a teen, I still had almost no memories from before age 4. So you might as well hold off if your kids are very young.

I'll get to the pricing in my next post.
    When Ben gets a little older, it’ll be Magic Mountain. Teens love the extreme rides. I did. I still like MM, if you catch it on the right weekday, the lines aren’t bad at all.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    He's going to go to Magic Mountain in a few months.

I also went for the first time at age 12, and loved it, but of course there was a lot less to do there in 1984.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Went to magic mountain the same vacation as Disney, MM wasn’t packed but all lines took forever, if a coaster could have multiple cars running they would only run one. I assume this was to get people to buy their version of fast passes.

Hated MM for that reason.

Thread Information