Thread: PFA members in Circa Survivor contest just barely miss being 31-handed for $9.6 million

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

PFA members in Circa Survivor contest just barely miss being 31-handed for $9.6 million

This is so disgusting.

A group of us from PFA went in on 3 Circa Survivor Contest tickets for $1k each. I contributed $500, so I owned 1/6 of the action.

You have to pick one NFL team each week to win outright, plus also pick one for both Thanksgiving and Christmas, for a total of 20 picks. You cannot pick the same team twice.

9600 entries were purchased, for a total pool of $9.6 million.

We lost 2 early, but the last ticket made it through 9 weeks.

In week 10, it was a super close decision between Cincinnati at home versus Houston, or Pittsburgh at home versus Green Bay. The group was split on it, but we finally settled on Cincy, especially since they had the -6.5 spread, whereas Pittsburgh was -3.5. Spread doesn't matter for the contest, but obviously is a big clue regarding what Vegas books thought about the teams' odds.

I reluctantly changed to Cincy after being for Pittsburgh during the first half of the call. Others stuck firm with Pittsburgh, but Cincy won the vote.

Cincy had a terrible game but had an epic comeback, and had the ball 7 yards from the goal line and the first down to win. They actually should have scored the TD, but a stumble by the goal line prevented it. They failed to make the TD, and had to kick a FG to tie, then lost in OT. At the same time, Pittsburgh was close the entire way, and GB had the ball on the 16 on the final play of the game, but failed. A TD would've won it for GB there.

We decided to torture ourselves by still "playing" along, betting a token amount on each pick's money line each week, using the same decision process and rules as if we were still in the contest.

Thanks to some losses of popular picks (none of which we wouldn't have made), had we picked Pittsburgh in week 10, we'd still be in now, with 30 others.

This past week, we would have taken Chargers, who won 6-0 against the awful Patriots.

This hurts.

It was the first time we've pahticipated in the Circa Survivor contest.

Load Metric
    Has that redacted aroma to it so why are you telling us about it now?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Has that redacted aroma to it so why are you telling us about it now?
    Because the contest just went 30-handed today and it stings.

Load Metric
    I was in one of those pools years ago NFL had to pick a team to win each week couldn't pick the same team twice made it to the final round 7 or 8 weeks in

Load Metric
    When I was broke I'd often scavenge partially smoked cigs from communal ashtrays outside apartment complexes. Some guy must've noticed what I was doing because soon there'd always be a few half-smoked Camels left for me.

After awhile I discovered he's an unhygienic weaboo which was a real wake-up call that I'd been living off this cretin's charity, so I began fine-tuning my sports betting strategies by deploying gnostic candlegazing & Crowley's sex magick techniques.

Now I smoke a pack of American Spirits a day & always leave a few half-smoked to place as an offering under an old pine tree to remain in good favor with the fae & archangels who in turn ensure that my Fanduel parlays hit

@birdbath

Silver
    Load Metric
    Wait so you lost 4 weeks ago and are claiming you narrowly missed being 31 handed?

That’s not how this works.

How many people were left going into week 10? 1,149 right?

So if all of those people did your hypothetical mulligan how many would still be left? Surely more than 31.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheesfaced View Post
    Wait so you lost 4 weeks ago and are claiming you narrowly missed being 31 handed?

So if all of those people did your hypothetical mulligan how many would still be left? Surely more than 31.
    We were a hair away from picking Pitt in week 10.

Had we done that, we’d still be in.

It’s different than when a pick you unquestionably made gets upset and you’re out.

Silver
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

It’s different than when a pick you unquestionably made gets upset and you’re out.
    So you don’t think any of the other entries had tough decisions? You don’t think any of them possibly changed their mind and switched from a winning to losing pick? Is this the first time you’ve ever done a survivor contest?

Because that happens all the freaking time.

Load Metric
    It's a lottery ticket, although with some dead money.

Somewhat like the Main Event, except it's winner take all.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

So you don’t think any of the other entries had tough decisions? You don’t think any of them possibly changed their mind and switched from a winning to losing pick? Is this the first time you’ve ever done a survivor contest?

Because that happens all the freaking time.
    Most lose interest at that point and don’t look at what they would have picked going forward. We have every week and would have won each time.

We did not have any other decisions anywhere near this close in the first 9 weeks.

Thread Information