Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL *** 2022 Midterm Election Thread

Load Metric
    Election season in Michigan, beautiful fall foliage, cider mills, football and….commercials!!! Political ads warning of taxes being raised and dangerous criminals running rampant, sports betting deposit bonuses, magical wonder drugs with a short list of side effects and new high calorie fast food meals make this the best time of year to be a Michigander.

Red, blue, red, purple, red, red and red we are all winners.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Everett Stern, an inconsequential independent PA candidate for US Senate, has decided to drop out because he's afraid Fetterman is going to lose.

https://twitter.com/EverettStern1/status/1584976258693492736

The fallout of the debate was so disastrous Fetterman should drop and he should tell everyone to support Stern.

Platinum
    Load Metric

Comments

MumblesBadly: LOL! RCP was bullshitting the public to try to suppress likely-Dem voters! (Didn’t work!)

Platinum
    Load Metric
    So I was listening to my local (alleged) conservative corporate owned AM radio fake conservatives interview a pollster today, and if there was one example of why many of why these polls are so worthless, it was his take on things. This man claimed that Republicans would win the House, only because they were only down 5 seats to start with, and on an average year the opposition party wins 30 seats and that is why. Nothing to do with messages or position, but he thought that is was a fait accompli anyway. Then he goes on to the Senate, and says that everything he is seeing is that the red wave just isn't what it is made out to be, and he projects Dems to keep Senate. His rationale was that "did you see all the "bad" Trump candidates that are great for a primary, but not good for an election? He said that is why all the Dems backed Trump candidates to get them on the ticket, because they knew they had "problems" winning on the next level. He even mentioned specific races like AZ with Masters (who is literally winning now) as an example of the "bad candidates" who won't win. Oh yeah he mentioned JD Vance too, which is fucking hilarious because Ohio has been trending Red for a long time, and yet again Vance is up in the polls....by 3 full points!!! It is like what are you even talking about??

It was TDS all over again as he explained how "extreme" these candidates were and how that would rule the day, and of course being tied to Trump just makes it worse. Keep in mind...this was the night AFTER Fetterman made a fool out of himself and Oz took a decent lead in the polls due to the debate. Yet he is STILL in denial and didn't even mention that race conveniently, a race that could determine control of the Senate (well not anymore, looking at RCP Projections). It was like last night did not even happen, and he has been in a cave for the past 2 weeks as literally every single R has picked up heavy steam in races that no one thought were even in play.

These are the people who are putting out your polls. These are the people who are completely divorced from reality, and are using confirmation bias to swing their opinion and numbers. This is why you can basically add 5 points to almost every poll for the R.

Load Metric
    I vote in Florida our Gubernatorial election is soon, DeSantis should win very easily

Next is Washington D.C. for the GOP. And as far as Trump goes lol, but don't tell anyone i told you this (lol..) Trump gets out the way after DeSantis wins this Florida Gubernatorial Race here. After that I think the focus then changes totally to wining President. He is a real contender and young too.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by garrett View Post
    I vote in Florida our Gubernatorial election is soon, DeSantis should win very easily

Next is Washington D.C. for the GOP. And as far as Trump goes lol, but don't tell anyone i told you this (lol..) Trump gets out the way after DeSantis wins this Florida Gubernatorial Race here. After that I think the focus then changes totally to wining President. He is a real contender and young too.
    LOL at Trump getting out of the way for anyone. Yeah we heard it here first. Right.

It is going to be DeSantis/Lake in 2028. Hey that rhymes.....Desantis...Lake...in 28!!

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I have a Predictit bet (as mentioned earlier) for 50-51 Republican Senate seats. It's almost impossible for me to lose on the low side now. However, I might lose on the high side. It's very possible that 52 or 53 will be the number, depending upon PA, GA, and AZ. If all 3 of those hit, if Nevada goes R, and there's no upsets either way in other states, the number will be 53.

This will be great for Republicans, who were left for dead regarding having the Senate, as recently as a few weeks ago.

However, this might not be so great long term. In 2010, Republicans nominated some horrible Tea Party candidates who threw away five somewhat easily winnable Senate seats, including Harry Reid's final shot in Nevada. While the election was overall a big success, those five wasted Senate opportunities stung, and Republicans (somewhat) learned their lesson about nominating unelectable candidates.

But with 2010 seeming a lifetime ago politically, those lessons have been forgotten. Republicans had a similar situation -- fairly winnable seats in a midterm election during the first term of a Democratic President -- and they nominated three bad candidates in Mehmet Oz, Blake Masters, and Herschel Walker. If all three of these guys go on to win -- partially thanks to Biden's incompetence, and partially thanks in Pennsylvania to Fetterman lying about his health -- this will be unfortunate positive reinforcement for the GOP.

Picture you have QTo in a tournament in the big blind, and a tight player raises under the gun, while another tight player 3-bets in middle position. Instead of folding the QT, you foolishly call it. If you flop the Q and then go busto against AA, you walk away second guessing yourself, and might not make that same mistake again. If you end up flopping a straight and triple up against two players who flopped sets and didn't improve, you feel like a genius, and might try this again.

The latter is what might happen to Republicans if they pull off 53 Senate seats. They might tell themselves, "See? Controversial MAGA candidates CAN win general elections!", and then they'll nominate more next time around.

Much like Democrats are going to have to take a harsh beating in this midterm to (possibly) change the recently over-woke ways, Republicans might have to take their own beatdown in order to realize that shitty MAGA candidates aren't the way to go.

Comments

GrenadaRoger: poker parable rep, although it's not up to biblical standards

Load Metric
    The problem with the "electable republicans" is they are republican in name only. You don't get any kind of change with the RINO's. They rubber stamp everything libs do.
    POKER FAG ALERT! POKER FAG ALERT! FOR GAY SEX CONTACT SLOPPY JOE.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by mickeycrimm View Post
    The problem with the "electable republicans" is they are republican in name only. You don't get any kind of change with the RINO's. They rubber stamp everything libs do.
    No, we don't need RINOs, just candidates like Youngkin or Desantis who are baggage-free and know how to hit the left hard regarding their idiotic positions.

That's basically the correct strategy for Republicans these days. Get away from any kind of extremism, just be a solid conservative, and hammer the Dems on their unpopular views.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by mickeycrimm View Post
    No, we don't need RINOs, just candidates like Youngkin or Desantis who are baggage-free and know how to hit the left hard regarding their idiotic positions.

That's basically the correct strategy for Republicans these days. Get away from any kind of extremism, just be a solid conservative, and hammer the Dems on their unpopular views.
    Listen to Druff sounding like a Dem operative claiming that MAGA R's are a problem for conservatives. You too have been brainwashed. The Republican party IS Trump and MAGA, not the fake as fucking old RINO's that need to be put down. And they are being put down. one by one.

Like Youngkin and Desantis don't tout Trump's policy line down to the period at the end of a sentence, and it isn't want every single Republican winning their races now are doing as well. They are ALL MAGA Republicans, every fucking one of them. They are WINNING....because that is what resonates with people. Not some fake soft lying RINO like a Romney.

Tell me all the ne young hot shot RINO's who are up and comers Druff and are about to take the government by storm. ZERO. TYou want Mitch fucking McConnel's in position of power?

The Dems said the same thing you just did about "hey let's prop up MAGA because they will never win..bad candidates!". They are ALL winning. And will continue to do so with the new MAGA wave of republicans coming into the fold now.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBornHustler View Post

Listen to Druff sounding like a Dem operative claiming that MAGA R's are a problem for conservatives. You too have been brainwashed. The Republican party IS Trump and MAGA, not the fake as fucking old RINO's that need to be put down. And they are being put down. one by one.

Like Youngkin and Desantis don't tout Trump's policy line down to the period at the end of a sentence, and it isn't want every single Republican winning their races now are doing as well. They are ALL MAGA Republicans, every fucking one of them. They are WINNING....because that is what resonates with people. Not some fake soft lying RINO like a Romney.

Tell me all the ne young hot shot RINO's who are up and comers Druff and are about to take the government by storm. ZERO. TYou want Mitch fucking McConnel's in position of power?

The Dems said the same thing you just did about "hey let's prop up MAGA because they will never win..bad candidates!". They are ALL winning. And will continue to do so with the new MAGA wave of republicans coming into the fold now.
    druff is an idiot

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

I don't care if a candidate privately is more right wing than he lets on. I just care what he says and does.

DeSantis is a good example. While MAGA types are trying to outlaw abortion completely in their states (big political mistake), DeSantis pushed for a 15 week limit, which is largely popular with independents and swing voters. That's smart politics. Dumb politics is obsessing over outlawing abortion and motivating women to find out and vote D.

I don't want RINOs. I want conservatives who can read the pulse of the people, and tailor their message to that. You don't want to create your own vulnerabities.

The MAGA candidates might win only due to Democrats being so awful and out of touch. It's not because middle of the road voters want them. I guarantee there's a ton of people in Pennsylvania who don't like Dr. Oz, but will reluctantly vote for him because Fetterman's brain is broken. But that doesn't speak to the quality of Oz as a candidate.

Republicans do best when they outright reject dumb shit from Democrats, focus upon that, and be careful not to become extreme themselves. See 1994.

Platinum
    Load Metric

I don't care if a candidate privately is more right wing than he lets on. I just care what he says and does.

DeSantis is a good example. While MAGA types are trying to outlaw abortion completely in their states (big political mistake), DeSantis pushed for a 15 week limit, which is largely popular with independents and swing voters. That's smart politics. Dumb politics is obsessing over outlawing abortion and motivating women to find out and vote D.

I don't want RINOs. I want conservatives who can read the pulse of the people, and tailor their message to that. You don't want to create your own vulnerabities.

The MAGA candidates might win only due to Democrats being so awful and out of touch. It's not because middle of the road voters want them. I guarantee there's a ton of people in Pennsylvania who don't like Dr. Oz, but will reluctantly vote for him because Fetterman's brain is broken. But that doesn't speak to the quality of Oz as a candidate.

Republicans do best when they outright reject dumb shit from Democrats, focus upon that, and be careful not to become extreme themselves. See 1994.
    Name them and cite examples. I would bet 80-90% of conservatives would be completely fine with the 15 weeks, and only crazy extremists in favor of all out bans/outlawing it completely. I highly doubt these people would cross over with MAGA or can be tied to it in some major way. These people have ALWAYS been Bible thumping extremists, Trump or MAGA doesn't have a damn thing to do with their position that has been held for 50 years running now. You think MAGA made them think that all of the sudden?

Comments

dwai: druff is a boomer and out of touch, he believed in covid ffs

Load Metric
    I see a lot of anti Dixon ads in Michigan, but sometimes I wonder if they're just playing to the other extreme(dems: full trimester abortion/reps: no abortion whatsoever) and I think sometimes nothing will ever happen and both sides just use this bullshit as political chess pieces

Comments

country978:

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Name them and cite examples. I would bet 80-90% of conservatives would be completely fine with the 15 weeks, and only crazy extremists in favor of all out bans/outlawing it completely. I highly doubt these people would cross over with MAGA or can be tied to it in some major way. These people have ALWAYS been Bible thumping extremists, Trump or MAGA doesn't have a damn thing to do with their position that has been held for 50 years running now. You think MAGA made them think that all of the sudden?
    I liked the way Trump governed from 2017-19. I didn't feel his policy was extreme. However, some of the candidates who have spawned from his ascension are either extreme or have some other baggage which makes them harder to elect.

Again, I am not looking for RINOs. I just want candidates who appeal to middle-of-the-road voters as well as conservatives, and don't just win by default because the Democrats are fucking up so badly.

Democrats are basically handing Republicans a large list of issues to use to their benefit. Race baiting/CRT, gender ideology, transitioning kids, socialized medicine, cashless bail, big cities turning into shitholes, college loan forgiveness, COVID restrictions, cutting parents out of decisions in public schools, late term abortion on demand, the list goes on and on. The average independent/moderate voter sides with the GOP on almost all of these issues. All Republicans need to do is keep highlighting the Democratic position on these things, and force them to answer to it. Candidates who do this enjoy big time success. The formula is simple, yet parts of the GOP are fucking this up. That's my point.

In '94, Newt Gingrich was able to get Republicans to put aside their differences, and unify to hammer at Democrats in areas where they were unpopular. It worked beautifully. Gingrich was not particularly good at legislating and declined in relevance after that, but his 1994 plan was extremely effective, and led to unprecedented GOP victories in heavily blue areas. While some of the issues we face in 2022 are substantially different than in 1994, the blueprint for GOP success is the same, and actually much easier, as Democrats in 1994 were far more reasonable than the ones today.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    RCP Averages -

DeWine +21
    DeSantis +11.2
    Lake +11
    Kemp +7.4
    Rubio +7.4
    Budd +4.5 (NC Senate)
    R Johnson +3.3
    Vance +2.2
    Drazen +1.7 (Oregon!)
    Lombardo +1.2 (Nev governor)
    Logan +1 (Connecticut congress)
    Walker +0.6
    Laxalt +0.5 (Nev Senate)
    Evers TIE

Dixon -3.1 (Michigan Gov)
    Mastriano -6.4
    Masters -1.5

Oz/Fetterman new poll should be out tomorrow, same with Zeldin/Hochuli. NY hasn't been polled in like 12 days?? Weird. Oz/Fetterman were tied a few days ago, not anymore.

Comments

country978: rooting for you NY

Diamond Pro Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe's Avatar
    Load Metric
    didnt read anything but my strategy politically is to see who is more racist and sexist and vote for them because i'm racist and sexist

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I think I'm going to sell out of my position of "not 52 seats" for Republicans. There's a good likelihood that it will end up with 52 seats.

Fetterman probably loses now after that debate, and Herschel Walker now has a pretty good shot at pulling out a win, due to expected high Republican voter pahticipation in Georgia.

Laxalt is increasingly likely to win Nevada. There's even the dark horse of Bolduc pulling off a GOP win in New Hampshire, and Masters pulling off a win in Arizona, but I think they will probably narrowly lose.

Anyway, between all of these, it's hard to imagine the GOP only scoring 2 seats above, which is what I'd need to win my 50-51 bet. Fortunately I had it structured in a way to where it's easy to buy out of my "no 52" side.

Comments

MumblesBadly: LOL!!!

Platinum
    Load Metric
    I think I'm going to sell out of my position of "not 52 seats" for Republicans. There's a good likelihood that it will end up with 52 seats.

Fetterman probably loses now after that debate, and Herschel Walker now has a pretty good shot at pulling out a win, due to expected high Republican voter pahticipation in Georgia.

Laxalt is increasingly likely to win Nevada. There's even the dark horse of Bolduc pulling off a GOP win in New Hampshire, and Masters pulling off a win in Arizona, but I think they will probably narrowly lose.

Anyway, between all of these, it's hard to imagine the GOP only scoring 2 seats above, which is what I'd need to win my 50-51 bet. Fortunately I had it structured in a way to where it's easy to buy out of my "no 52" side.
    Right it's "not" gonna be 52 seats, it will be 53.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by some user View Post
    Election season in Michigan, beautiful fall foliage, cider mills, football and….commercials!!! Political ads warning of taxes being raised and dangerous criminals running rampant, sports betting deposit bonuses, magical wonder drugs with a short list of side effects and new high calorie fast food meals make this the best time of year to be a Michigander.

Red, blue, red, purple, red, red and red we are all winners.

I hope that the POS gov goes down in the Mitten.

Thread Information