Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL *** 2022 Midterm Election Thread

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

*** OFFICIAL *** 2022 Midterm Election Thread

Let's get a discussion going regarding the midterm election coming up in a few weeks.

Preferred topics of discussion are the November gubernatorial, Senate, and House races.

Please do not turn this thread into trolling or shitposting.

Hopefully we can make a bit of money, as well, on what remains of PredictIt.

Comments

splitthis: Red wave coming

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Let's get a discussion going regarding the midterm election coming up in a few weeks.

Preferred topics of discussion are the November gubernatorial, Senate, and House races.

Please do not turn this thread into trolling or shitposting.

Hopefully we can make a bit of money, as well, on what remains of PredictIt.
    I can't wait for the non partisan level headed debates to populate this thread.

Oh I get it, it's a gamble on who wins and ultimately that's most important.
    Same with investments. When you stand to make or lose money your ethics are challenged.
    The Pete Rose syndrome.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Let's discuss the gubernatorial races.

Safe Democrat

Michigan - Whitmer up anywhere from 0 to 11 points, depending which poll you listen to, but she's not going to lose this. Somehow she never had to face the music for the nursing home deaths she caused in 2020 (similar to what Andrew Cuomo did).

Minnesota - Some points have Walz up as much as 12. No poll has him up less than 3, and Minnesota is a blue state.

New York - Hochul is up 17 in one poll a few weeks ago, and even GOP-friendly Trafalgar has her up 5 in this very blue state.

New Mexico - Lujan-Grisham is up double-digits in more than one poll, and is not going to lose this increasingly blue state. This is not even worth watching.

Pennsylvania - Had the GOP put up a good candidate, they could have had a shot here. Instead, Trump-backed Mastriano is seen as too extreme by most independents, and that leaves Josh Shapiro up around 10 points in almost all recent polls. Easy win for Dems.

Additionally, Dems should easily win in Massachusetts, Maryland, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Illinois, Rhode Island, Maine, and Connecticut.

Safe Republican

Florida - It's almost like Democrats are trying to lose. Charlie Crist doesn't really stand for anything, and he even picked a running mate with a ton of baggage. DeSantis is more popular than ever after his efficient leadership during the hurricane. He easily takes this one, and was even well ahead before the hurricane. There haven't been any polls since.

Texas - There was a time about two years ago where Dems thought Texas was a hair away from going blue. Since then, a large contingent of Hispanics (especially men) have gone GOP, and Dems are not going to take over Texas anytime soon. Beto O'Rourke is not a good candidate, and is going to get clobbered by Abbott, who is consistently up about 8-11 points in all polls.

Additionally, Republicans should easily win in Alabama, Arkansas, Iowa, Idaho, Nebraska, New Hampshire, Ohio, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Vermont, and Wyoming.

Likely Republican

Georgia - Stacey Abrams, erroneously believed by many Democrats to have been cheated in her last run for the office, is trailing in most polls by 5-9 points. There is a recent outlier poll showing her just 1 point behind, but it isn't likely that Brian Kemp will lose.

Alaska - Their weird new election system has "ranked choice voting" where you vote for second, third, and fourth choices, and that factors in if nobody gets 50% of the vote. Incumbent Mike Dunleavy got 40% in the August 16 open primary, and while Dem Les Cook got 23%, and non-affiliated Bill Walker got 23%. I just don't see Cook or Walker bridging this gap with the ranked choice voting. I believe this will go to Dunleavy.

Oklahoma - A weird poll from "Sooner Poll" gives Democrats hope, as upstart Joy Hofmeister is shown leading by 4 in this red state. However, other polls show Kevin Stitt of the GOP up by double digits. So which is correct? Stitt is probably fairly safe here, but if you can get a really good dog price on Hofmeister, you might want to throw a few bucks on her, as she has been conducting an aggressive, grassroots campaign which has resonated with a lot of women.

Very Close

Kansas - Trump won this state by nearly 15 points, yet Kansas presently has a Democratic governor, who surprisingly won in 2018 by 5 points. It shouldn't be quite so easy this time around, with a lot of discontent toward Biden, and the midterms likely to swing sentiment the opposite way from what it was in 2018. There has been scant polling in this race for some reason, but what little exists seems to still favor Kelly over GOP challenger Derek Schmidt. This one is a tossup, but probably favors Kelly. If you can get her as a dog, she's a good bet here.

Oregon - Biden won this state by 16 points. How is this even a race? But somehow it is. Oregon hasn't had a Republican governor since 1982, but polls show that Republican Christine Drazan has a small lead right now. This is mostly thanks to Betsy Johnson (not the dress maker), a former Democrat who is pro-gun and is seen as less liberal than Democratic candidate Tina Kotek. The last polls showed that only 9% of Oregon Republicans support Johnson, but 17% of Democrats there do. There has also been some backlash against Democrats for the out-of-control crime and homelessness plaguing the Portland area. Johnson also seems more interested in hammering Kotek in attack ads than Drazan. Glenn Youngkin has even traveled to Oregon to give Drazan some tips on how to win a gubernatorial race in a blue state, and is campaigning alongside of her. Portland is enough of a mess right now to where a Republican might just slip through, especially if fed-up Democrats have a third party candidate to vote for in protest, without having to feel bad about giving their vote to a Republican. If you can find Drazan for a good price, grab her. Also note that Kotek is an open lesbian, and this might actually also push a few votes away from her. Ignore the polls showing Drazan up 6 points, as those are R-leaning poll outfits.

Arizona - The momentum is moving in the direction of Republican Kari Lake, who is facing Democrat Katie Hobbs. In recent weeks, Democrats are privately (and sometimes not so privately) expressing concern that Hobbs is too "low key", and that her refusal to debate Lake was a huge error. While some see Lake as too conservative and too Trump-affiliated, it seems that Lake has supporter enthusiasm on her side, whereas Hobbs seems to be lackadaisically strolling into defeat. If you can get Lake at a good price, fire. I think she wins. Two reliable polls now show her up by 3.

Wisconsin - This is the hardest one to predict. The two most recent non-biased polls have Democrat Evers up either 1 point or tied with Republican challenger Tom Michels. Evers led all the way until a few weeks ago, at which point polls suddenly showed Michels 2 points or so ahead. Now it's fallen back into what appears to be a virtual tie. One thing to note is that polls were showing that Biden easily had Wisconsin, but Trump only lost by 0.6 points. It seems pollsters are underestimating Republicans in Wisconsin in recent years, so for that reason Michels probably has the edge, but not a big one.

Nevada - In August, Joe Lombardo was trailing by 4 points, but now he's the favorite. Still, the non-biased polls show him up only 1-2 points, so incumbent Steve Sisolak still has a chance. Many in Nevada still aren't happy with Sisolak's COVID shutdowns, as it essentially decimated this tourism-supported state. Even after the shutdowns were over, many questioned Sisolak's support of mask mandates, and generally saw him as out-of-touch. With that said, Nevada voters have been very tough to predict in recent years. It was one of the few states where Hillary outperformed expectations in 2016, yet Biden didn't do as well in the state as predicted in 2020 (but he still easily won by 2.4 points). This one is probably going to Lombardo, but don't fire if the favorite line is too steep.

Comments

splitthis: Obese abortion loving WHALEy stands 0% chance

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Some possible value bets on Predictit:

AZ Democratic governor +257
    OR Republican governor +104
    KS Democratic governor +117
    WI Democratic governor +178
    NV Democratic governor +178

However, none of these are great bets.

Hobbs is quickly losing ground in Arizona, hence the big dog price. Drazan is only slightly better than even money in Oregon, yet Biden won the state by 16. Wisconsin has had lots of polling error in the Democrats' favor in recent years, making the close race not quite as close. Lombardo seems to have the momentum in Nevada. Kelly being a slight dog in Oklahoma is decent value, but the redness of the state plus a backlash against Dems makes it hard to trust that one as a winner.

Thoughts?

Silver
    Load Metric
    I think GA governor belongs in the safe R category.

I also think there may be some value in GA senate race on R side. Herschel Walker may be a literal retard but he’s got a lot of things going for him in this race. For one thing I don’t think there will be quite as much split ticket voting as the polls indicate. I also can’t recall in my life time where candidate quality matters so little. The letter next to the name matters way more than the candidate. Despite the police badge gaffe Walker did better than expected in the debate, but honestly who was waiting on the debate before deciding who they were going to vote for anyways.

Also, I think voter turnout favors the republicans in the mid-terms in GA. And finally I think there’s a good chance of a runoff and if that happens then election fatigue could have a big impact as well.

That said I still think Warnock wins, but think it’s much closer to a 52-48 flip than the current 60-40; thus the value. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Walker wins.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Not so fast with the NY governor, Druff. The wretched and corrupt Hocul WAS up 17. The challenger Zeldin has closed the gap. Hocul takes bribes and peddles influence and New Yorkers seem to be getting fed up. NY also has allowed itself to become a haven for addicts and criminals alike. Recently a person who'd been arrested 43 times was pinched for mugging a dude who'd just been run over and killed by a truck and was released with no bail. Its a disgusting state and she, along with Cuomo, allowed it to happen.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by country978 View Post
    Not so fast with the NY governor, Druff. The wretched and corrupt Hocul WAS up 17. The challenger Zeldin has closed the gap. Hocul takes bribes and peddles influence and New Yorkers seem to be getting fed up. NY also has allowed itself to become a haven for addicts and criminals alike. Recently a person who'd been arrested 43 times was pinched for mugging a dude who'd just been run over and killed by a truck and was released with no bail. Its a disgusting state and she, along with Cuomo, allowed it to happen.
    It is still a long shot but Trafalgar has the crazy bitch only up by 2 now.

If NY goes down, it won't be a red wave it will be a red tsunami.

Load Metric
    Kotek in Oregon has recently pivoted hard into attack mode against Drazan's MAGA allegiance, has stanched the bleeding somewhat.

Was getting clobbered on the homeless issue as well and has shifted messaging there as well.

I want a gubernatorial shift but will not vote for a MAGA cultist and Q-Anon linked candidate, so will abstain but want a shift away from the left. Think Oregon will stay Dem by a hair.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    You're correct that NYC has become a shithole, much like several other big cities which had improved over the years. For example, I haven't been to San Francisco with Benjamin since he was a toddler. I would love to show him SF, hang off the cable car, and walk/drive around the city with him. However, the place has become a shithole, so I don't even bother.

This might be an election where backlash against Democrats for the degradation of big cities is more of a factor than people think. That's one problem with this election, in fact. There are a number of factors making it hard to predict. The GOP has the Roe thing and several extreme candidates working against it (to where the latter might even affect other races), and Democrats have incompetent Biden, inflation, crime, and over-wokeness working against them.

But I just don't see Hochul losing in NY. From what I've observed in recent years, NY is one of those states where Republicans briefly get excited about making inroads, only to fall way short of whatever chance they thought they had. George Pataki and his second lieutenant governor are still the last Republicans to be elected to statewide office in NY.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    You're correct that NYC has become a shithole, much like several other big cities which had improved over the years. For example, I haven't been to San Francisco with Benjamin since he was a toddler. I would love to show him SF, hang off the cable car, and walk/drive around the city with him. However, the place has become a shithole, so I don't even bother.

This might be an election where backlash against Democrats for the degradation of big cities is more of a factor than people think. That's one problem with this election, in fact. There are a number of factors making it hard to predict. The GOP has the Roe thing and several extreme candidates working against it (to where the latter might even affect other races), and Democrats have incompetent Biden, inflation, crime, and over-wokeness working against them.

But I just don't see Hochul losing in NY. From what I've observed in recent years, NY is one of those states where Republicans briefly get excited about making inroads, only to fall way short of whatever chance they thought they had. George Pataki and his second lieutenant governor are still the last Republicans to be elected to statewide office in NY.
    Always comes down to just too many communists in the NY metro to overcome. It's like 10 fucking cities of them not just 1. You can't beat that.

Load Metric
    my friends in oregon are _very_ concerned they are about to tip red and im like ok but who do you think let you hang yourselves with your cop defunding and letting every drug addict hustler skel on the west coast set up a tent city in downtown portland?

Comments

NaturalBornHustler: eloquently stated

Sloppy Joe: This
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Gold
    Load Metric
    https://nypost.com/2022/10/17/man-de...nsit-fatality/

From today. Pushing people into oncoming trains on a random day in NYC.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Beto into retirement after losing AGAIN…mashalla.

Dude is phony AF…pretends to be an El Paso Everyman when he’s an East coast silver spooner.

Comments

country978: his confronting Mr Abbott at the worst possible time was pathetic

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Minnesota is starting to get a lot tighter. Only a 3-7 pt lead now in most of the polls. That was like 15 at one point.

Gold
    Load Metric
    The thought of a GOP majority is too much. Years of the biggest crooks investigating the smaller crooks, fuck them and their show trials.

History has proven everything will be worse under a GOP majority, their true goal is a polluted global slave state.
    Lock this thread, no talk of red waves and all that crap.

The search for a third party begins.

Load Metric
    Lol thinking open borders, widespread crime, inflation, lgbtq bs, blm bs is better. Dummy.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Ronald Reagan

Load Metric
    I can tell you from what i can see from ground zero of the blue part of SE Florida it will be a GOP ass kicking.

Lot of suburban women not thrilled about RvW but they are being completely drowned out by all the other issues and general state of the union.

Desantis by > 10%

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Texter View Post
    Beto into retirement after losing AGAIN…mashalla.

Dude is phony AF…pretends to be an El Paso Everyman when he’s an East coast silver spooner.
    Honestly, you can’t say this in Texas and expect to get elected:

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I fail to understand the interest. When the votes are in nothing will change.

Even if your side wins this time it will be by a small minority.

You're divided as much as ever.

It's a bit like discussing the latest school shooting and arguing whether

the shooter was a right wing wacko or whatever's left.

The only reason Americans enter politics is to stay the course. Fuck the issues,

God is on our side.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Let's talk about the Senate.

There are fewer races of interest here, compared to the gubernatorial situation. Most races are strongly on one side or the other, with little chance of surprising anyone.

The races in question are:

Nevada: Adam Laxalt was the DA who held a press conference about Bryan Micon, only to later let him off with a slap on the wrist. Now he's the favorite to become Nevada's next US Senator. While conservative and sometimes too supportive of Trump, Laxalt doesn't really have any skeletons in the closet, and he's running with a fairly mainstream message. Incumbent Catherine Cortez-Masto didn't make much of an impact during her time as Senator, and people frustrated with Biden and Democrats aren't going to feel bad about voting against her. Nevada is a funny state. It doesn't follow national trends. In 2016, it was one of just two swing states where Hillary Clinton overperformed. In 2020, Biden won but did worse than expected. Laxalt was leading all polls throughout September, but surprisingly the latest from USA Today has him behind by 1.4. I don't see him losing, though. There isn't much value on Predictit, where Masto is about +200, and I think that's probably the right price for her.

Arizona: Incumbent Mark Kelly is probably going to pull it off again. If faced with a tougher opponent -- a strong moderate Republican, for example -- he would lose. However, he's facing Blake Masters, who is both very conservative and has baggage because of his 2020 election conspiracy theory support. Arizonans do not like candidates like Masters. They prefer middle-of-the-road candidates, which is why politicians like Kyrsten Sinema and the late John McCain have had such appeal. Kelly is up in every poll, including a recent one from R-leaning Trafalgar. Even though there may be some 1994-like upsets this cycle, I think Kelly will squeak by. The almost-even-money line on Predictit for Kelly probably has some value. Watch out, though, as GOP gubernatorial favorite Keri Lake could drag Masters over the finish line, but it probably won't happen.

Georgia: Raphael Warnock is the luckiest Senator alive, as he's probably going to win two elections where he had no business being the victor. Warnock faced a weak candidate in 2020 (who was also torpedoed by Trump, who was bitter at the state of Georgia), and got into the Senate. Now the incumbent, he will probably again come away victorious in an election favoring Republicans, because the candidate facing him, Herschel Walker, is so bad. Walker doesn't speak well, has a list of bad behavior a mile long, and even made a fool of himself by flashing an honorary police badge at a debate. Many Georgians are tied of Democrats and want to vote for the GOP, which is why the gubernatorial race is almost surely going red. However, I just don't see Walker pulling out a victory here. Right now you can get Warnock at even money on Predicit, which is a good bet.

Pennsylvania: This is another state where Republicans could win if they just put up a good candidate. Mehmet Oz is a quack TV doctor who carries loads of baggage. This is allowing John Fetterman, a do-nothing guy supported by his parents until his 40s, who also had a debilitating stroke recently, to be the favorite in the election. This is another one which is even money on both sides on Predictit, but where the value is with the Democrat. There isn't a poll yet showing Oz ahead. If Republicans can create enough question regarding Fetterman's health, he might still lose, but I think he barely pulls it out.

Wisconsin: Mandela Barnes has too much baggage, and incumbent Ron Johnson is starting to accelerate in the polls. If there's a red wave, you should see a strong victory for Johnson here. I just don't see Barnes pulling this out. Betting markets already have Barnes as a dog of close to +500, and I still wouldn't bet on him at that price.

Ohio: JD Vance, author of "Hillbilly Elegy", hasn't run a particularly good campaign, but it probably won't matter. Ohio is one of those states which is getting redder each year, and this just isn't the election where a Democrat will come from behind to win in Ohio. You can get almost +400 on Tim Ryan, but I wouldn't do it.

North Carolina: There was one glimmer of hope for Cheri Beasley, as a Republican-leaning pollster had her tied near the end of September. The rest haven't been as kind, including a non-biased poll out of East Carolina University, which shows Ted Budd up 6 points. Trump carried NC by 1.4 points in 2020, despite many polls showing it would go blue. Budd is most likely taking this one. If you want to gamble, you can get Beasley at better than +550.

Republicans have 29 seats not up for election, and 17 which are almost certain to win for the GOP, with three likely (the last ones mentioned above). Democrats have 36 seats not up for election, 10 safe victories, and 1 likely victory (New Hampshire). There are 4 real tossups in this election, with only 1 favoring the GOP, and I believe the "likely" R (NC/OH/WI) indeed go as expected.

If Republicans go 2-2 in the tossups, they get 51 seats, and have the majority. If they go 1-3 or 0-4, they don't, because a 50-50 tie won't be good enough, due to the VP being a Dem. I think they're going to barely fall short and end up with 50, winning Nevada but losing the other 3. It is +150 for Dems to have 50 or more seats on Predictit, which again is good value. However, the better value bet is on the number of Senators the GOP will have after the midterms. You can presently get +525 on 50 seats, and +488 on 51 seats. If you don't want to gamble as much, as you can bet both 50 and 51 and still have about +250 on it. This is probably the best value. I don't see it all that likely that Republicans end up with 49 or 52+. I think 50-51 should be better than even money.

Thread Information