View Poll Results: After Druff didn't get his promised full (but overly generous) refund, what should he charge back?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Charge back 100%

6 54.55%
  • Charge back 70%

0 0%
  • Charge back 50%

0 0%
  • Charge back 30%

1 9.09%
  • Just let it go

4 36.36%
  • Don't know / don't care

0 0%

Thread: JEW Make the Call: Hotel Staff Goes MIA Edition

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

JEW Make the Call: Hotel Staff Goes MIA Edition

In late July, during our trip to British Columbia, we stayed in a small hotel in a very small town. The hotel itself was flawed, but okay. Kind of a basic place with very cheap furniture, but it was fairly large, had an excellent view, and was cheap considering it was high tourist season. I wasn't trying to cheap out here, but there was limited availability since I booked the trip only about 2 months in advance, so I was thrilled to get what I did.

We had 2 nights there. Unfortunately, three things made the stay less pleasant than expected:

1) Ben had a stomach virus, so we spent a lot of time in the room, since he didn't feel well enough to go out and do activities.

2) The two days were cloudy, so our great view was nonexistent.

3) They had planned construction in the office, which shared a common wall with us, which started at around 9am, and continued throughout the day, on both days. This was extremely noisy, and in fact shook the room at some points, when they were using heavy power tools!

Obviously #1 and #2 are not their fault. They can't control the weather, nor when my son gets sick. However, #3 was really annoying. There's no chance I would have stayed there if I knew this construction was planned. Furthermore, it was even worse for us because we were stuck in the room for most of the day (because of Ben), so we were going crazy with the hours construction noise and room/window vibrations.

When I checked out, I tried to ask for a reduction. I was willing to take something like 30% off. The person checking me out was very young and had no power. In fact, all of the on-site employees looked between 18-25. However, the girl called up the manager (or owner?), and explained my concern. The person on the other end said to tell me that I would get my ENTIRE STAY REFUNDED! I felt this was very generous, and was very impressed with their snap offer to comp the 2 nights.

Well... I got my credit card statement, and bad news: No refund. I had prepaid for the room, and there was never a credit BACK. I tried to call them, but they didn't answer the phone. This wasn't a surprise, as I could never reach them by phone at any point, even when I was booking the reservation and had a question. However, I did notice I got called back when I left messages. Well, I left a message about the lack of refund, and nobody called me back. Then I called a second time and left a second message. Again, no return call.

Then I tried e-mailing them, which was actually suggested on the voicemail greeting. No response. I tried e-mailing them from a different account (just in case my main e-mail was going to spam on their end). Again, no response. I tried calling back, and found their voicemail was now FULL!

So what the hell is going on?

It almost seems as if some problem has occurred there, and they simply shut down for the season. Maybe related to the construction? They are still at the tail end of summer tourist season, so this is an odd time for them to pack up and leave.

Now I am considering charging BACK on my credit card. However, part of me feels guilty about charging back the entire amount, as I don't really feel I deserve it. As I said, I was going to ask for 30%, but the manager told the employee that I was getting a full refund, so I accepted that obviously. There is also a small chance that the employee bullshitted me about the refund just to make me leave, but I would think that would cause more trouble than it's worth down the line. Also, I was standing right there when she made the call (but I couldn't hear it on the other end). It is a small family-owned place, and not a big corporate place. I wouldn't feel bad at all charging back the full amount to a big corporate place, but I do always feel a bit bad for the little guy in situations like this.

On the other hand, I was promised a full refund, and didn't get it. They also failed to inform me about the construction and giving me a chance to cancel, so that was fault on their end. So charging back that amount would not at all be unethical, especially given that they won't answer my messages or e-mails.

What would you do here?

JEW make the call!

Load Metric
    You insufferable cunt. Pay your goddamn bill like everybody else. Get the fuck out of your room by 9 and be glad they didn’t start at 7. What a fucking scumbag you are. Hotelfraudalert.com

Comments

nunbeater: lmao THE TRUF

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 1marley1 View Post
    You insufferable cunt. Pay your goddamn bill like everybody else. Get the fuck out of your room by 9 and be glad they didn’t start at 7. What a fucking scumbag you are. Hotelfraudalert.com
    1IQMarley1 strikes again.

Did you not read that my son was sick with a stomach virus, so we couldn't leave the room?

Also, when you get a hotel room, you are expected to be able to enjoy it throughout the day, free of lengthy construction noise. This should have been disclosed to me as soon as they knew they were doing it, with an offer to cancel if I didn't like it. It was planned construction, not emergency construction. They were basically redoing the whole office. Our room backed into the same wall as the office.

I also was happy to pay my bill -- just not the entire thing, because I didn't get what I paid for. I would have been happy to pay 70%, but they offered a full refund, so why would I argue with that?

Load Metric
    you have the worst luck

Silver
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 1marley1 View Post
    1IQMarley1 strikes again.

Did you not read that my son was sick with a stomach virus, so we couldn't leave the room?

Also, when you get a hotel room, you are expected to be able to enjoy it throughout the day, free of lengthy construction noise. This should have been disclosed to me as soon as they knew they were doing it, with an offer to cancel if I didn't like it. It was planned construction, not emergency construction. They were basically redoing the whole office. Our room backed into the same wall as the office.

I also was happy to pay my bill -- just not the entire thing, because I didn't get what I paid for. I would have been happy to pay 70%, but they offered a full refund, so why would I argue with that?
    You are a fair minded and overall good guy. I agree with you but voted let it go.

This is a waste of your time

Splitting side curls analyzing this any further steinbergeinstein

Gold
    Load Metric
    When I checked out, I tried to ask for a reduction.

Lol, it happens too often to you to be legit.
    Let it go.

Load Metric
    Go for the full 100% since it was offered up.

LOL at again finding yourself in such a predicament. I can't imagine living my life perpetually aggrieved and entitled.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Ballin'
    Load Metric
    TMMLK would let it go because of the fact Ben was sick. If it wasn't for Ben being sick you would probably hear minimal noise as you would be out with attractions. In addition, TMMLK believes you should of asked for a room swap the same day it happened.

Comments

1marley1: But if he proactively worked to fix the problem and did then he’d have no reason to ask for his usual checkout reduction
    FREE TYDE, 30-2 LANDSLIDE

Why are you and Ben such pussies when it comes to getting sick?

Comments

4BET: Way out of line. You are trash talking about his son

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    About to ban RichardBrodiesCombover if all he can do is talk about my son. It's creepy. Look at his recent posting history. He's turned into a 1-liner troll recently so it won't be a huge loss.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Regarding the other posts here:

- I could not switch rooms because it was a small place which was completely sold out. I also could not switch hotels because it was a very small town, with no availability during high tourist season. I was lucky to get what I did, 2 months in advance.

- There was nothing I could have done to have prevented this.

- You are a gullible chump if you think you are only paying for enjoyment of your hotel room during late night and early morning sleeping hours. You are paying for the entire duration of your stay, and everything is expected to be in reasonable working order and at a reasonable noise level. If they are voluntarily causing a huge noise issue, then that's on them, not you. This isn't a flophouse where you sleep the night and are expected to leave upon waking.

- The only question at this point is whether I should charge back the amount promised to me, or chargeback what I felt I deserved at the time (which is less). I'm leaning toward the former, especially since they are not giving me the courtesy of a response.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    About to ban RichardBrodiesCombover if all he can do is talk about my son. It's creepy. Look at his recent posting history. He's turned into a 1-liner troll recently so it won't be a huge loss.

I just feel bad for the young kid

Load Metric
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Bronze
    Load Metric
    100% refund. A reputable business would have already taken care of this. I'm surprised you didn't ask for this from the start.
    I also vote yes on banning RBC.

Load Metric
    When I first read the story I was thinking 30% would be fair but the fact they promised 100% and are now ducking you fuckem charge back 100%
    -Allergic to the struggle

Thread Information