Thread: Radio delayed due to headache

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Radio delayed due to headache

As some of you know, I have had a problem with chronic tension headaches since my mid-20s, and they're worst in the summer.

I have had a bad one today and therefore cannot start radio... at least not yet.

I will announce shortly whether it is delayed until tomorrow, or just later tonight.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    I know you've talked about your headaches in the past, I don't remember much of the details.

I'm just wondering, do you have certain allergies or anything like that?

You mentioned how they are the worst in the summer. My wife has a number of allergies - grass, pollen, trees, and many others, and my kid even inherited them. They are the worst in the summer and sometimes they come with bad headaches - not so much with my son (yet), but primarily with my wife.

I'm sure you've been to doctors and all of that to try and figure out the issue, but I was just curious.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    I'm curious what you take for your headaches. My mother has migraines and the only thing that is helpful is Excedrin or Excedrin Migraine.

Load Metric
    Todd, have you looked into this product that is now available at Costco:

Nerivio is an FDA-cleared, prescribed, smartphone-controlled, drug-free wearable device for the treatment of episodic and chronic migraine in individuals aged 12 and older. Worn on the upper arm at the onset of a migraine attack, Nerivio alleviates migraine headache and associated symptoms by utilizing remote electrical neuromodulation to trigger an endogenous analgesic mechanism, known as conditioned pain modulation. Clinical studies have shown Nerivio to be as effective as standard of care pharmacological options and can be used as a standalone treatment or in combination with existing treatments.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by turdzilla View Post
    Todd, have you looked into this product that is now available at Costco:

Nerivio is an FDA-cleared, prescribed, smartphone-controlled, drug-free wearable device for the treatment of episodic and chronic migraine in individuals aged 12 and older. Worn on the upper arm at the onset of a migraine attack, Nerivio alleviates migraine headache and associated symptoms by utilizing remote electrical neuromodulation to trigger an endogenous analgesic mechanism, known as conditioned pain modulation. Clinical studies have shown Nerivio to be as effective as standard of care pharmacological options and can be used as a standalone treatment or in combination with existing treatments.

Thanks for the suggestion, but won't work. These aren't migraines. Common misconception when I tell people of these tension headaches.

Tension headaches come from your neck and shoulders. Unlike migraines, they are usually not severe, though occasionally they can be. Also unlike migraines, they do not carry with them sensitivity to light or sound, nor do they produce nausea. So what's the big deal? I get a TON of them. I get one almost every day in the summer, about 4-5 days per week in the winter, and about 2 per week in the fall and spring. They tend to first appear in your mid 20s, which is exactly what happened to me. There is some kind of genetic predisposition to them. I inherited them from my mom, who first noticed them around age 30. My version is worse than my mom's, however.

I always have aspirin in my pocket when I play live poker.

Aspirin works about 97% of the time to get rid of them. The other 3% I take Vicodin, which lessens the really stubborn ones (like today) but sometimes doesn't eliminate them completely.

The exact reason for these headaches is not fully understood. When I had my severe anxiety/depression issues four years ago, one oddity was that these tension headaches entirely disappeared, but abruptly returned when I got mostly better. This would suggest it's some sort of brain perception error rather than a real physical body issue, which would explain why I didn't have them when my brain underwent an (otherwise bad) chemistry change for a few months.

Load Metric
    What you need is a vacation on a cruise ship.

Most cruise lines have now eased their covid restrictions.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    If Ben wasn't starting school, this would be a great time for a cruise.

Ben, myself, and his mom have all had COVID BA.4/BA.5 in the past 2.5 months. We'd be very safe from it!

Oh, and Gordman, believe it or not, I have no allergies. Not one to my knowledge! The summer increase in headaches is likely due to the usage of A/C. I have noticed that rapid temperature changes -- such as those brought on by an A/C or heater -- are one of the causes of my headaches.

Anyway, radio rescheduled for Monday 8/22 at 8pm PDT.

Load Metric
    Did your mom age out of them being a frequent occurrence? I thought I remembered cluster headaches being a young to middle age thing. I’ve never had them, but thought I recalled hearing that from someone with the affliction.

When I look them up, it says they’re more prevalent like 20-50, so seems like you might age out of them eventually and they just kind of go away. Be the rare benefit to hitting our age.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    Did your mom age out of them being a frequent occurrence? I thought I remembered cluster headaches being a young to middle age thing. I’ve never had them, but thought I recalled hearing that from someone with the affliction.

When I look them up, it says they’re more prevalent like 20-50, so seems like you might age out of them eventually and they just kind of go away. Be the rare benefit to hitting our age.
    They're tension headaches, not cluster, but yes, they are supposed to peak early 40s, then decline a lot after 50.

I have not seen much decline, but they did probably peak in my early-mid 40s. But they're close to as bad now.

My mom did see a reduction in her later years. I'm not sure how often she gets them now. Mine are far worse than hers at her peak, though.

These did not show up until I was around 25.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Pain zapper or Excedrin Work for me.

I can feel mine trying to manifest right above my left eye, but only happen a few times a year.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Head-On: Apply directly to the forehead

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Texter View Post
    Pain zapper or Excedrin Work for me.

I can feel mine trying to manifest right above my left eye, but only happen a few times a year.
    Tension headaches come from the back, not from the front.

I almost never get headaches in my forehead or behind/above my eyes.

They start in my shoulders or neck, and move up.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Every blue moon I’ll get one that starts in my neck, excedrin ain’t stopping that.

Thread Information