Thread: *** OFFICIAL GORDMANS SALMON FISHING THREAD ***

Platinum
    Load Metric

*** OFFICIAL GORDMANS SALMON FISHING THREAD ***

Since this forum is currently pretty dead, i figured i might as well post a thread of some TR's i will have.

So, its now 1:59am CST and I'm currently sitting in my chair half bored right beneath a lighthouse at the far end of a pier overlooking Lake Michigan and taking a break from casting lures. (No really, i am literally beneath a lighthouse)

Im all by myself and there is not a soul in sight; my boy didn't want to come tonight, but thats ok.

The sky is clear and the moon is full and everything has been looking beautiful for a few hours, unfortunately It is now starting to get chilly and the wind is picking up as i type this so i might pack it up soon for the night.

I will post pics soon of where i am (even though its currently dark) and will also post pics of a really nice king salmon a guy earlier reeled in and which i helped him out by using my landing net.

Stay tuned

Comments

sonatine:

Crowe Diddly:

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I didn't realize salmon fishing happens at this time.

What is the reason to be out in the middle of the night like this?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordman View Post
    Since this forum is currently pretty dead, i figured i might as well post a thread of some TR's i will have.

So, its now 1:59am CST and I'm currently sitting in my chair half bored right beneath a lighthouse at the far end of a pier overlooking Lake Michigan and taking a break from casting lures. (No really, i am literally beneath a lighthouse)

Im all by myself and there is not a soul in sight; my boy didn't want to come tonight, but thats ok.

The sky is clear and the moon is full and everything has been looking beautiful for a few hours, unfortunately It is now starting to get chilly and the wind is picking up as i type this so i might pack it up soon for the night.

I will post pics soon of where i am (even though its currently dark) and will also post pics of a really nice king salmon a guy earlier reeled in and which i helped him out by using my landing net.

Stay tuned
    You mean someone caught a really nice Chinook?

Great start.

Load Metric
    I am a huge salmon guy HUGE but only if its raw or very lightly seared so interior meat is raw cooked salmon is somehow terrible

Comments

Pablo: same here

Load Metric
    and you faglord nerds have now forced my hand getting a 3 scoop salmon poke bowl for lunch great job idiots

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by lol wow View Post
    I am a huge salmon guy HUGE but only if its raw or very lightly seared so interior meat is raw cooked salmon is somehow terrible
    Throw a bit, or a lot, of this on your fish balls ftw.

Name:  2012535D-A499-4956-ABB3-A9E312731067.png
Views: 259
Size:  76.5 KB

Gold
    Load Metric
    Is the lighthouse on?

Load Metric
    Name:  attachment_0001.jpeg
Views: 256
Size:  269.9 KB

Two Sundays ago, myself (pizza) and CD (sub) took our dad out fishing for striped bass in Cape Cod Bay. 11 keeper-sized bass were caught in 4 hrs.

The fish pictured were hooked simultaneously at the end of the day and actually thrown back, as we had already surpassed our limit.

Comments

Dan Druff: food pics on face throwback rep

Sanlmar: Cape Cod on a boat

Crowe Diddly: 35" max limit rep

The Boz: Very nice!

Gordman: Good stuff

simpdog: beauty

Load Metric

salmo shioyaki is bizarrely hard to find in the states but tldr its cedar plank salted salmon and aside from raw its the gold standard.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post

salmo shioyaki is bizarrely hard to find in the states but tldr its cedar plank salted salmon and aside from raw its the gold standard.
    I just began cedar plank salmon on the grill at home. Life changing.

There is no way to get all those lost years back.

Soaked cedar 4 hours and yet the grill was so hot my cedar ignited when preheating board.

Paid $24/lb for swordfish yesterday. CPI swordfish with wasabi

Comments

sonatine: god i havent had swordfish in a million years.

Gordman: There is absolutely nothing like cedar plank salmon
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 08-11-2022 at 07:50 AM.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Haven't posted since i made this thread, so apologies.

There hasn't been a ton of action since I started this thread, but I am certain it will pick up.

Usually some salmon start moving in to the shallower areas during the beginning of and at least mid August. It just seems to be kind of an off year of sorts.

To be clear, I'm not out in Lake Michigan on a boat - I'm fishing from the piers.

Take note: I fish from the west end of Lake Michigan (Port Washington, Sheboygan, Milwaukee, etc), we look for west winds to drive the cold water inland towards us. This might be counterintuitive for some, because i am on the west end of Lake Michigan and I am looking for west winds. However, these west winds eventually give us what we want, which is colder water and of course the salmon that come with it.

IMO its pretty +ev to fish from shore around here once fall starts coming around- as long as you know where to go. Over the years, I lost count of how many times I've talked to fishermen who ended up parking their boats and fished from piers instead of going out with the boat to deeper water.

Ill put it as simply as I can for those that don't know how the cycle works. The salmon instinctively lay their eggs once fall comes around. With the salmon in Lake Michigan, they will start to come in to the shallower areas from deeper water as the water temps change. Their instinctive goal is to find the inland streams, try to swim up them, and then lay their eggs. Many of the salmon do not swim back out to the lake afterwards. Depending on their age, they will die...and the life cycle repeats. The typical age for King Salmon is about 4 years.

I hope this gives a little insight to the topic. Feel free to ask me any questions as I'm not perfect and I'm sure i missed something.

I'm going to head out again with my son this weekend and see what happens. It should be picking up very soon.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post

Stay tuned

Great start.

BTW, since you love to spout about how ignorant everyone else is, and how smart you are...

For people who actually, you know...fish, they will normally call a Chinook a King Salmon. This is pretty basic stuff. You are welcome to look it up if you don't believe me. Google "king salmon" and they are one in the same.

Someone who tries to correct something like this is a once in a year fisherman (if that), and makes every attempt to act smart the rest of the time.

There have been only a handful of times in my 46 years I've heard certain fishermen in my area consistently call them Chinook rather than a King, and there have been 0.0 times that I've ever heard a monumental douchebag try to correct someone who calls a Chinook a King.

So, congratulations, or whatever.

Load Metric
    Kunt -> is your dad Mumbles?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Great start.

BTW, since you love to spout about how ignorant everyone else is, and how smart you are...

For people who actually, you know...fish, they will normally call a Chinook a King Salmon. This is pretty basic stuff. You are welcome to look it up if you don't believe me. Google "king salmon" and they are one in the same.

Someone who tries to correct something like this is a once in a year fisherman (if that), and makes every attempt to act smart the rest of the time.

There have been only a handful of times in my 46 years I've heard certain fishermen in my area consistently call them Chinook rather than a King, and there have been 0.0 times that I've ever heard a monumental douchebag try to correct someone who calls a Chinook a King.

So predictable. Some Americans refer to Chinook salmon as King salmon. Some Americans refer to Native Americans as Indians.

Anyone with an ounce knowledge would know the species of fish in question was named by Native American peoples thousands of years ago.

Whether you fish or not awareness is a positive trait.

Platinum
    Load Metric

So predictable. Some Americans refer to Chinook salmon as King salmon. Some Americans refer to Native Americans as Indians.

Anyone with an ounce knowledge would know the species of fish in question was named by Native American peoples thousands of years ago.

Whether you fish or not awareness is a positive trait.

The only thing predictable here is you posting like the "nose up in the air" colossal douchbag you are. This is nothing new.

BTW, I literally just shared your post with a couple of these presumably offended Native Americans (because yes, believe it or not, I know a few) and they laughed...

At you.

They normally call them kings as well.

You're the textbook Lib who somehow just has to be offended about everything just to ruffle some feathers and create needless controversy.

Pro tip: perhaps log the fuck off and stay out of threads instead of somehow needing to reply to everything and spreading your stupid bullshit. Instead, go have another drink, it's what you do best.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    limitles has been banned from this thread for trolling and shitposting.

Please do not fuck up threads like this where users share their recreational activities with the rest of us.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntmissioner View Post
    Name:  attachment_0001.jpeg
Views: 256
Size:  269.9 KB

Two Sundays ago, myself (pizza) and CD (sub) took our dad out fishing for striped bass in Cape Cod Bay. 11 keeper-sized bass were caught in 4 hrs.

The fish pictured were hooked simultaneously at the end of the day and actually thrown back, as we had already surpassed our limit.

Tomato on the face you all....that's todd lol handling there on the fish

holding that Salmon i can tell by his sideways posture and way hes holding that fish wink wink thats Todd, so tell us now how was fishing in Alaska, and thsat bearded dude may be the Truck driver guy LOL whats his name i havent been on here minute forget, MUMBLES thats it i think that may Todd and Mumbles LOL actually yeah and i can do this with no faces, just pustures amazing right fun fun.....

Hello everyone hope all is swell where you are too be well

Load Metric

Load Metric
    Crab season…it’s go time, in about four hours 😎

Name:  71DF3CE2-55EA-41CC-A619-FFECCF74A91F.jpeg
Views: 124
Size:  3.78 MB
    all hail Hydra

Originally Posted by DanDruff:Since I'm a 6'2" Republican with an average-sized nose and a last name which doesn't end with "stein", "man", or "berg", I can hide among the goyim and remain undetected unless I open my mouth about money matters.

Thread Information