Thread: "Free" (actually $22) Google Nest thermostat for LA DWP customers

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

"Free" (actually $22) Google Nest thermostat for LA DWP customers

Go to this link: https://marketplace.ladwp.com/thermo...enervee-score/

You need to either be a Los Angeles DWP (department of water and power) customer, or know someone willing to let you use their info to order. Basically they are discounting a $129 Google Nest thermostat down to $0, but charging you $10 shipping and $12 tax. Still a great deal.

Open to everyone who receives a DWP bill. These Google Nest devices work anywhere, not just with DWP residences, and it does not require any kind of enrollment in any kind of program.

Comments

Entropy: Must be nice to live in a liberal state.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Let's be honest. No cracker like Druff goes a day without AC so a thermostat is obsolete

The real reason these will be snatched up? The mislabeled home invasion sensor.

Name:  thermoinasion.png
Views: 377
Size:  122.8 KB

Load Metric
    Entropy: Must be nice to live in a liberal state.

This has all the aroma of your dystopian state Entropy. It’s Google and it’s California so you have two bad actors and that’s likely some logarithmic misbehavior

I haven’t looked but this smells like Texas where the power companies were rolling back smart thermostats.

Never in a thousand years would I allow that shit just on principle. Millenials will guzzle this up.

I suspect there is some opt-in for a cleverly named power company program. Maybe there is even some rebate program to catch Jewish fish like Druff.

I have a Nest but I would never ever do Ring and really wouldn’t recommend a Nest to people I like.

Let’s see what people find.

Dystopian California hellscape

Load Metric
    Looking back, I recall I bought my Nest when it was still a startup by ex Apple engineers.

Absolutely exquisite engineering and packaging - especially at that time. The installation instructions where so simple my mother could have installed it after cocktails.

I still remember the screwdriver WHICH WAS INCLUDED. The ergonomics and heft of that simple tool made me proud to be an American. It was pure Jonathan Ives inspired industrial engineering excellence.

Google bought them and I haven’t ripped it off the wall.

I just want to be clear about my choices lest someone think I am being inconsistent with the privacy thing. I know it’s a losing battle but I will stay true to what we our forefathers intended simply out of love and appreciation for their sacrifice.

Gold
    Load Metric
    We have the Nest smart thermostat in our BnB, where there is clearly a lot of value in turning it off whenever no one is there and turning it on when a guest is going to come so they aren’t walking into a 100 deg house.

We don’t have one in our house house. But I wouldn’t mind it. But yeah, I am guessing the plan is to have an algorithm turn off the air when it senses no one is home, which isn’t the worst thing in the world and will actually save you $$$. Assuming they always let you manually turn it back on. Which is where the potential dystopian hell scape comes in, where they don’t.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalam View Post
    We have the Nest smart thermostat in our BnB, where there is clearly a lot of value in turning it off whenever no one is there and turning it on when a guest is going to come so they aren’t walking into a 100 deg house.

We don’t have one in our house house. But I wouldn’t mind it. But yeah, I am guessing the plan is to have an algorithm turn off the air when it senses no one is home, which isn’t the worst thing in the world and will actually save you $$$. Assuming they always let you manually turn it back on. Which is where the potential dystopian hell scape comes in, where they don’t.
    When no one is home?

You are a Californian. Your kind (and lol wow) are what enabled California to become the dystopia it is now.

When the annual fires are lapping at the dog house in your back yard, Pacific Gas and Electric has another downed line and the temps are in the mid 90’s - Central Planning will roll up your t-stat to 86 or whatever they decide is best.

But you will order Chinese food with the $100 you saved so you win.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalam View Post

You can enroll in awful programs where they give you a small amount of $ to turn off your AC when they are low on power, but that isn't connected to this. This is a free-and-clear heavily discounted thermostat which you can control with the internet.

It also works with any power company, not just LADWP. You just need LADWP to order it in the first place.

I find these thermostats are valuable for a few reasons:

1) Turn on when you're coming back from a vacation, so house isn't cold or hot when you walk in

2) Turn off when you leave on vacation and forget to do so, and only realize it when you're at the airport

3) Control from the couch or bed or wherever, so you don't have to keep getting up when the house is getting cold or hot

In fact, I installed one of these about 1.5 years ago (not Google Nest though), and it's great for radio. Sometimes I'd be in there in the winter and the room would get too hot or too cold from either too much heat or too little. I can't just interrupt the show to go fix it. Now I just pull up the app to do it. Way better.

Load Metric
    Todd, if you don’t set that thermostat to 78 we’ll do it for you. Don’t make me come in there!

Californians Told Not to Charge Electric Cars Days After Gas Car Sales Ban

During a Flex Alert, consumers are urged to reduce energy use from 4-9 p.m. when the system is most stressed because demand for electricity remains high and there is less solar energy available," the release said.

The top conservation actions are to set thermostats to 78 degrees or higher to reduce air conditioner use, avoid using large appliances and charging electric vehicles, and turn off unnecessary lights, it said.

"Lowering electricity use during that time will ease strain on the system, and prevent more drastic measures, including rotating power outages," it added.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Todd, if you don’t set that thermostat to 78 we’ll do it for you. Don’t make me come in there!

Californians Told Not to Charge Electric Cars Days After Gas Car Sales Ban

During a Flex Alert, consumers are urged to reduce energy use from 4-9 p.m. when the system is most stressed because demand for electricity remains high and there is less solar energy available," the release said.

The top conservation actions are to set thermostats to 78 degrees or higher to reduce air conditioner use, avoid using large appliances and charging electric vehicles, and turn off unnecessary lights, it said.

"Lowering electricity use during that time will ease strain on the system, and prevent more drastic measures, including rotating power outages," it added.
    Commiefornia is becoming a literal meme of itself.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Druff why do you insist on living in a totalitarian communist state when you clearly have the resources to live elsewhere.

Makes no fucking sense.

Here kids take the free candy........it tastes really good and it's "free"......yeah right.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBornHustler View Post
    Druff why do you insist on living in a totalitarian communist state when you clearly have the resources to live elsewhere.

Makes no fucking sense.
    Russian ballet stars like Mikhail Baryshnikov defected from Russia but had to worry about what the state might do to his family in retaliation.

Then again, Druff’s girlfriend might drive a Prius.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Yeah here is what they are doing to anyone they can with these connected thermostats, controlling the energy they use. These people are fucking psychopaths.

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...ergy-emergency

Thousands of Xcel customers locked out of thermostats during 'energy emergency'
    22,000 people lost control of temperatures in their homes for hours Tuesday

DENVER — During the dog days of summer, it's important to keep your home cool. But when thousands of Xcel customers in Colorado tried adjusting their thermostats Tuesday, they learned they had no control over the temperatures in their own homes.

Temperatures climbed into the 90s Tuesday, which is why Tony Talarico tried to crank up the air conditioning in his partner's Arvada home.

"I mean, it was 90 out, and it was right during the peak period," Talarico said. "It was hot."

That's when he saw a message on the thermostat stating the temperature was locked due to an "energy emergency."

"Normally, when we see a message like that, we're able to override it," Talarico said. "In this case, we weren't. So, our thermostat was locked in at 78 or 79."

On social media, dozens of Xcel customers complained of similar experiences — some reporting home temperatures as high as 88 degrees.
    We'll tell YOU how cool you are allowed to keep it in your house. And how far you can drive your electric car. And how much food you are allowed to eat.

This is the first time in the program's six year span that customers could not override their smart thermostats, Romine said. He said the "energy emergency" was due to an unexpected outage in Pueblo combined with hot weather and heavy air conditioner usage.

But Talarico said he had no idea that he could be locked out of the thermostat. While he has solar panels and a smart thermostat to save energy, he says he did not sign up to have this much control taken away.

"To me, an emergency means there is, you know, life, limb, or, you know, some other danger out there — some, you know, massive wildfires," Talarico said. "Even if it's a once-in-a-blue-moon situation, it just doesn't sit right with us to not be able to control our own thermostat in our house."
    I wish to God Druff would have gotten one of these so his cheap Jew ass would have saved a $100, only to learn he just gave up control of his HVAC to the government. Would have been an instant HOF thread. I was down on solar until this shit. It really isn't +EV, but now the house I am building will have an off grid 150k system on it. Tied in absolutely no way to the grid of the utility company.

Load Metric
    Yeah here is what they are doing to anyone they can with these connected thermostats, controlling the energy they use. These people are fucking psychopaths.

We'll tell YOU how cool you are allowed to keep it in your house. And how far you can drive your electric car. And how much food you are allowed to eat.

This is the first time in the program's six year span that customers could not override their smart thermostats, Romine said. He said the "energy emergency" was due to an unexpected outage in Pueblo combined with hot weather and heavy air conditioner usage.

But Talarico said he had no idea that he could be locked out of the thermostat. While he has solar panels and a smart thermostat to save energy, he says he did not sign up to have this much control taken away.

"To me, an emergency means there is, you know, life, limb, or, you know, some other danger out there — some, you know, massive wildfires," Talarico said. "Even if it's a once-in-a-blue-moon situation, it just doesn't sit right with us to not be able to control our own thermostat in our house."
    I wish to God Druff would have gotten one of these so his cheap Jew ass would have saved a $100, only to learn he just gave up control of his HVAC to the government. Would have been an instant HOF thread. I was down on solar until this shit. It really isn't +EV, but now the house I am building will have an off grid 150k system on it. Tied in absolutely no way to the grid of the utility company.
    This story will surprise no one. This isn’t the first time and won’t be the last.

I told Druff. He just dismissed these privacy concerns. At this point in our privacy dialog Druff’s response was entirely predictable though enormously disappointing.

I must respect his right to practice his faith even if it weakens our nation. We’re so so fucked anyway.

At least he didn’t buy the Google product.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    You are forgetting, I am a tech guy. I can find ways to disable any control taken of my thermostat, if necessary.

Also, even if I can't, I can simply take down the thermostat and put the old one back. Easy.

Silver
    Load Metric

This story will surprise no one. This isn’t the first time and won’t be the last.

I told Druff. He just dismissed these privacy concerns. At this point in our privacy dialog Druff’s response was entirely predictable though enormously disappointing.

I must respect his right to practice his faith even if it weakens our nation. We’re so so fucked anyway.

At least he didn’t buy the Google product.
    The Muse agrees....

Comments

Sanlmar: You can dance to it too. +1

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    You are forgetting, I am a tech guy. I can find ways to disable any control taken of my thermostat, if necessary.

Also, even if I can't, I can simply take down the thermostat and put the old one back. Easy.
    Druff, “hey Alexa, how do I firewall my thermostat from the commies?”

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

Druff, “hey Alexa, how do I firewall my thermostat from the commies?”
    Often I get questions from people why I bother jailbreaking my iPhone -- which makes it a LOT tougher to update iOS versions, virtually guarantees you'll be running at least a few iOS versions behind, reduces device stability, and induces security holes.

My answer: "I control my devices. I don't let my devices control me."

As we forge on through time, this gets somewhat tougher to accomplish. But I still resist allowing devices to tell me what I can and can't do, and when I have one such as an iPhone which tries to do just that, I take steps to prevent it.

I'm one of the very few guys in the LA area who can watch the Dodgers on my iPhone through the MLB app, without getting blacked out.

A thermostat does not intimidate me. At very worst, it can turn off access to my heater or A/C. If I can't find a way to stop that, I can simply rip it out of the wall and put back up the non-connected one. At the moment, the DWP swears that they can't and won't use it for that purpose. If it turns out they're lying, no problem -- the fix is quick and simple.

Load Metric
    I don’t remember reading a jailbreak mainifesto, Druff. Respect your fight.

We are the last generation to remember privacy.

Thread Information