Thread: "Free" (actually $22) Google Nest thermostat for LA DWP customers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    Load Metric

"Free" (actually $22) Google Nest thermostat for LA DWP customers

Go to this link: https://marketplace.ladwp.com/thermo...enervee-score/

You need to either be a Los Angeles DWP (department of water and power) customer, or know someone willing to let you use their info to order. Basically they are discounting a $129 Google Nest thermostat down to $0, but charging you $10 shipping and $12 tax. Still a great deal.

Open to everyone who receives a DWP bill. These Google Nest devices work anywhere, not just with DWP residences, and it does not require any kind of enrollment in any kind of program.

Comments

Entropy: Must be nice to live in a liberal state.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Let's be honest. No cracker like Druff goes a day without AC so a thermostat is obsolete

The real reason these will be snatched up? The mislabeled home invasion sensor.

Name:  thermoinasion.png
Views: 383
Size:  122.8 KB

Load Metric
    Entropy: Must be nice to live in a liberal state.

This has all the aroma of your dystopian state Entropy. It’s Google and it’s California so you have two bad actors and that’s likely some logarithmic misbehavior

I haven’t looked but this smells like Texas where the power companies were rolling back smart thermostats.

Never in a thousand years would I allow that shit just on principle. Millenials will guzzle this up.

I suspect there is some opt-in for a cleverly named power company program. Maybe there is even some rebate program to catch Jewish fish like Druff.

I have a Nest but I would never ever do Ring and really wouldn’t recommend a Nest to people I like.

Let’s see what people find.

Dystopian California hellscape

Load Metric
    Looking back, I recall I bought my Nest when it was still a startup by ex Apple engineers.

Absolutely exquisite engineering and packaging - especially at that time. The installation instructions where so simple my mother could have installed it after cocktails.

I still remember the screwdriver WHICH WAS INCLUDED. The ergonomics and heft of that simple tool made me proud to be an American. It was pure Jonathan Ives inspired industrial engineering excellence.

Google bought them and I haven’t ripped it off the wall.

I just want to be clear about my choices lest someone think I am being inconsistent with the privacy thing. I know it’s a losing battle but I will stay true to what we our forefathers intended simply out of love and appreciation for their sacrifice.

Gold
    Load Metric
    We have the Nest smart thermostat in our BnB, where there is clearly a lot of value in turning it off whenever no one is there and turning it on when a guest is going to come so they aren’t walking into a 100 deg house.

We don’t have one in our house house. But I wouldn’t mind it. But yeah, I am guessing the plan is to have an algorithm turn off the air when it senses no one is home, which isn’t the worst thing in the world and will actually save you $$$. Assuming they always let you manually turn it back on. Which is where the potential dystopian hell scape comes in, where they don’t.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalam View Post
    We have the Nest smart thermostat in our BnB, where there is clearly a lot of value in turning it off whenever no one is there and turning it on when a guest is going to come so they aren’t walking into a 100 deg house.

We don’t have one in our house house. But I wouldn’t mind it. But yeah, I am guessing the plan is to have an algorithm turn off the air when it senses no one is home, which isn’t the worst thing in the world and will actually save you $$$. Assuming they always let you manually turn it back on. Which is where the potential dystopian hell scape comes in, where they don’t.
    When no one is home?

You are a Californian. Your kind (and lol wow) are what enabled California to become the dystopia it is now.

When the annual fires are lapping at the dog house in your back yard, Pacific Gas and Electric has another downed line and the temps are in the mid 90’s - Central Planning will roll up your t-stat to 86 or whatever they decide is best.

But you will order Chinese food with the $100 you saved so you win.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalam View Post

You can enroll in awful programs where they give you a small amount of $ to turn off your AC when they are low on power, but that isn't connected to this. This is a free-and-clear heavily discounted thermostat which you can control with the internet.

It also works with any power company, not just LADWP. You just need LADWP to order it in the first place.

I find these thermostats are valuable for a few reasons:

1) Turn on when you're coming back from a vacation, so house isn't cold or hot when you walk in

2) Turn off when you leave on vacation and forget to do so, and only realize it when you're at the airport

3) Control from the couch or bed or wherever, so you don't have to keep getting up when the house is getting cold or hot

In fact, I installed one of these about 1.5 years ago (not Google Nest though), and it's great for radio. Sometimes I'd be in there in the winter and the room would get too hot or too cold from either too much heat or too little. I can't just interrupt the show to go fix it. Now I just pull up the app to do it. Way better.

Thread Information