Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should Aaron Judge be considered the legit HR single season king if he supplants Maris?

Load Metric

Should Aaron Judge be considered the legit HR single season king if he supplants Maris?

Aaron Judge has hit 42 HRs so far this season and has broken the Yankees record for most HRs prior to August. He’s on a pace to hit 66-67 HRs depending (the avg is 66.7 I believe based on remaining games). We know Bonds, Sosa, and McGuire all cheated to set their numbers using PEDs. If Judge hits 66 which would tie him for 3rd all time in a season with Sosa but has been clean. Should baseball folks consider Judge the real legit HR single season record holder?

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Yeah…Judge is clean.

What a sweet kid.

Load Metric
    SUPPLANTS YALL

Load Metric
    Should is irrelevant. He won’t be outside some Yankees homers on talk radio. And while I’d bet he’s clean, you don’t ever know.

The only takeaway from the steroid era is they should have left it alone. You didn’t see the NBA or NFL cut it’s own throat. The only other takeaway from that era is Pedro Martinez is the greatest pitcher of all time and it’s not particularly close. That dude was dominating in an era where a 4 ERA made you the all star game starter. He’s in a league with like Babe Ruth as far as being so far ahead of his contemporaries.

Comments

gut: Yes

country978: pedro was my all time favorite

Sloppy Joe:

JeffDime:

Load Metric
    Bonds is the HR king. He competed within that eras guidelines.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    Should is irrelevant. He won’t be outside some Yankees homers on talk radio. And while I’d bet he’s clean, you don’t ever know.

The only takeaway from the steroid era is they should have left it alone. You didn’t see the NBA or NFL cut it’s own throat. The only other takeaway from that era is Pedro Martinez is the greatest pitcher of all time and it’s not particularly close. That dude was dominating in an era where a 4 ERA made you the all star game starter. He’s in a league with like Babe Ruth as far as being so far ahead of his contemporaries.
    I don’t particularly watch baseball much and still know pedro is the goat pitcher.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post

Delino DeShields was acquired for him.

Never forget.

I love Tommy Lasorda, but "He's too small to be a reliable starting pitcher" was one of the worst sports takes in history. I mean, yes, he was small for a pitcher, but you can't just leave it at that. What a fail.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Regarding Judge, the guy is a monster and I knew he'd eventually have a season like this.

Will he be considered the new HR king if he hits 65? Probably not. But he should.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Regarding Judge, the guy is a monster and I knew he'd eventually have a season like this.

Will he be considered the new HR king if he hits 65? Probably not. But he should.
    61 is the record. Period.

Load Metric
    A bit premature to have this discussion. He hasn't done anything yet. He could pull a hammy tomorrow and be out for a few weeks.
    En boca cerrada, no entran moscas

Load Metric
    It is premature and a delicate matter. The Hall of Fame obviously has decided not to let the steroids guys in. But their stats remain & the MLB is not really involved with the HOF. If Major League Baseball decided their names would be stricken from the history books and their stats were noted under Player #17 etc, then for sure I think their would be somewhat of an official celebration. The Player’s association would never lets it happen in that fashion.

However, I can see whatever members of the Maris family show up if he does get to 61 and some kind of acknowledgment/celebration to be had. It’s def a fine line for MLB to walk. But I can’t see them ignoring the situation.

If Judge does stay healthy and continues to keep pace we will see non stop talk about this on sports radio/TV debate shows etc.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffDime View Post
    It is premature and a delicate matter. The Hall of Fame obviously has decided not to let the steroids guys in. But their stats remain & the MLB is not really involved with the HOF. If Major League Baseball decided their names would be stricken from the history books and their stats were noted under Player #17 etc, then for sure I think their would be somewhat of an official celebration. The Player’s association would never lets it happen in that fashion.

However, I can see whatever members of the Maris family show up if he does get to 61 and some kind of acknowledgment/celebration to be had. It’s def a fine line for MLB to walk. But I can’t see them ignoring the situation.

If Judge does stay healthy and continues to keep pace we will see non stop talk about this on sports radio/TV debate shows etc.
    Comparing records thru the eras holds almost no interest for me. NFL passing records talk is the epitome mouth breathing. Rules change, equipment changes, athletes change. It’s just dumb.

Far more interesting is the Ohtani vs Judge MVP argument. That you are wasting any energy comparing Maris and Judge instead of enjoying Ohtani vs Judge disappoints me

Championships matter. Leave the HOF to guys like Druff looking for some scrap of redemption

Comments

JeffDime: Just opining on what I think may happen San. Not my wish of what happens.

Load Metric
    Which is a more ludicrous

NBA scoring records?

NFL passing or reception records

MLB HR records?

Comments

BCR: Easily B. Different sport all together

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

Comparing records thru the eras holds almost no interest for me. NFL passing records talk is the epitome mouth breathing. Rules change, equipment changes, athletes change. It’s just dumb.

Far more interesting is the Ohtani vs Judge MVP argument. That you are wasting any energy comparing Maris and Judge instead of enjoying Ohtani vs Judge disappoints me

Championships matter. Leave the HOF to guys like Druff looking for some scrap of redemption
    Ohtani should just be given the MVP before the season starts, at least until he shows any signs of slowing down. Too bad the team is a dumpster fire.

Angels would die laughing if the Yankees called offering to swap Judge for Ohtani.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post

Ohtani should just be given the MVP before the season starts, at least until he shows any signs of slowing down. Too bad the team is a dumpster fire.

Angels would die laughing if the Yankees called offering to swap Judge for Ohtani.
    I agree. He’s most valuable in that the only chance the Angels have to win depend on Ohtani.

What Judge is doing is more typical baeball. His team is stacked. Sure Judge is winning games but honestly Yankees really don’t need to win until the playoffs. Lol, MLB

How about Trout? Jeez.

I haven’t gotten into but you prolly have a feel… does Ohtani get traded?

Load Metric

Brother San….hope you are doing well. I was just giving my opinion on what MAY happen imho. I don’t care about Maris vs Judge at all personally. This is just my read on what MLB may do if he gets to 61. I agree you simply can’t compare eras in baseball.

Maris does have a cool story though. He was somewhat better than an ordinary player overall, that did something extraordinary that particular year. Actually, he was better than ordinary but I guess for too short of a period of time to be considered elite.

Sort of like some WSOP main event winners during late 90s - Early 2000s.

However, now that I have given it some thought I do think they should show Maris & his family some respect if the day does come. The record stood for a long time and probably still should today. So I think acknowledging that would be the right thing to do.
    Last edited by JeffDime; 07-31-2022 at 11:04 AM.

Load Metric

I agree. He’s most valuable in that the only chance the Angels have to win depend on Ohtani.

What Judge is doing is more typical baeball. His team is stacked. Sure Judge is winning games but honestly Yankees really don’t need to win until the playoffs. Lol, MLB

How about Trout? Jeez.

He should be traded, he doesn't seem too eager to sign an extension...and why would he? That franchise really is a dumpster fire. At least they have an owner who spends money, but all he does is light it on fire.

Their player development is shit. It doesnt get talked about much, as the success story of Trout got all the press for years. You see teams like the Yankees and Rays having like an entire AAA squad of legit rosterable MLB pitchers, meanwhile the Angels system tends to be quite barren, outside of their 1st round picks, and even those lately have been hit-or-miss.

I would guess its more frustrating being an Angels fan than a Pirates fan.

Load Metric

Thing is based on some comments overheard, Ohtani would just be the Asian Babe Ruth, and they wouldnt let him pitch for the Yanks if he ended up in pinstripes. But truth is Angels will probably trade Ohtani in the off season when they can get a haul for him to start a rebuild (truthfully theyre a bigger dumpster fire then the Dbacks here in AZ. AZ is going with youth and have already stripped things down and wouldve traded MadBaum had they gotten interest which is likely after this season when his contract drops off in the back end his last season hes only owed $14M).

Load Metric

How about Trout? Jeez.

He should be traded, he doesn't seem too eager to sign an extension...and why would he? That franchise really is a dumpster fire. At least they have an owner who spends money, but all he does is light it on fire.

Their player development is shit. It doesnt get talked about much, as the success story of Trout got all the press for years. You see teams like the Yankees and Rays having like an entire AAA squad of legit rosterable MLB pitchers, meanwhile the Angels system tends to be quite barren, outside of their 1st round picks, and even those lately have been hit-or-miss.

Of all the teams in Baseball I have mad respect for what Tampas been able to accomplish. Remain competitive in whats been the toughest division truthfully for over a decade (although with Soto ending up in SD that may very well prove to be no longer the case with Dodgers and Padres with SF not far behind and legitimately AZ maybe a contender within a few years with their rebuild).

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

How about Trout? Jeez.

Angels front office has no clue how to sign roleplayers or diamond-in-the-rough pitchers. Their idea of innovative was signing Syndergaard post-injury.

All Anaheim does is hand out big contracts to superstars (real and has-been), and then assumes everything will fall into place. And it never does.

Thread Information