Thread: Jared Jaffee catches Brock Wilson using helper app on his phone during Wynn tournament

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Jared Jaffee catches Brock Wilson using helper app on his phone during Wynn tournament

You've probably heard about the various controversies regarding online poker players using RTA (real time assistance) to essentially turn themselves into bots, thus providing them with an unfair advantage over opponents.

These allegations, among others, have dogged high stakes players Ali Imsirovic and Jake Schnidler, and made them pariahs in the community.

But what about live poker? We don't have to worry about such a thing occurring there, right?

Name:  jaffee1.png
Views: 502
Size:  735.0 KB

Note: Jaffee has his tweets protected, so the above is a screenshot. The URL is here: https://twitter.com/jaredjaffee21/status/1541228442338750469

That's Brock Wilson in the picture, caught on camera by Jared Jaffee using some kind of assistance program or chart during a tournament at the Wynn. Note that, while this occurred during the same time at WSOP, it was not at the WSOP itself.

The reaction was mixed. Some felt that this was a form of cheating:

https://twitter.com/joe7966/status/1541247032945704961

Others felt that, since Wilson wasn't in a hand, it was fine for him to use these charts to check if he played a prior hand correctly:

https://twitter.com/PerpetualCzech/status/1541235117129367552

Apparently WPT tournament director Matt Savage saw this tweet, and thanked Jaffee for snapping the photo, which sent Wilson over the edge. In his responses, Wilson revealed that the picture was taken by Aaron Massey, not Jaffee. He also revealed that someone (presumably Massey) placed the note "E=MC^2" on his chipstack, presumably to mock him for using assistance apps. Wilson took it as an insult, believing it to be a shot at him for being a nerd (lol):

https://twitter.com/SavagePoker/status/1541248322861678593
    Name:  jaffee2.png
Views: 482
Size:  35.2 KB
    https://twitter.com/BWilson9999/status/1541299311757012992

Name:  jaffee3.png
Views: 496
Size:  75.0 KB

Some people thought that the note was inappropriate:

https://twitter.com/DavidSmith34997/status/1541337247680798720

I agree with Jaffee. Wilson's pathetic, "Don't pick on me for being a nerd" routine is being used to garner sympathy, when in reality he was caught using charts during a live tournament -- something which is both against the rules and bad for the game. Imagine if a recreational player looked over his shoulder and saw this shit going on. He probably wouldn't play again.

The poker TDA rules (a set of standard rules for tournaments, as developed by tournament directors) state this:

5: Electronic Devices and Communication

Players may not talk on a phone at the table. Ring tones, music, images, video etc. should be inaudible and non-disturbing to others. Betting apps and charts may not be used by players with live hands. Other devices, tools, photography, videography, and communication must not create a nuisance, delay the game or create competitive advantage and are subject to house and gaming regulations.
    Source: https://www.pokertda.com/view-poker-tda-rules/

Wilson should just apologize and stop doing this shit. He shouldn't bully-shame Jaffee for calling him out.

Silver
    Load Metric
    As a rec player if I saw that I wouldn’t even bat an eye. I know I’m a rec player; I know these nerds are better than me and spend time studying with solvers and charts or whatever. That being said it’s either against the rules or not. If it is the rules should be enforced. If it’s not then the debate should be whether it should be against the rules or not (looking at stuff at the table while not in a hand).

But I really think you’re comment about if a rec player saw someone doing this they probably wouldn’t play again is completely off base.

Load Metric
    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  93.7 KB

Load Metric
    if he was looking at this during a hand then fair enough its not on but who gives a fuck what he looks at on his phone when he isnt in a hand

jafee and his pal are being dickheads here taking pics of the lad and leaving notes on his chips acting like a bunch of kids still in school
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKDANIELS View Post
    if he was looking at this during a hand then fair enough its not on but who gives a fuck what he looks at on his phone when he isnt in a hand

jafee and his pal are being dickheads here taking pics of the lad and leaving notes on his chips acting like a bunch of kids still in school
    I don't think "E=MC^2" is a very offensive note. It's not like they left a note saying, "Watch your back in the parking lot, nerd!"

The problem with looking at charts in between hands is that the dude was likely trying to refine his play during the tournament. He played the way he thought the chart/solver would have told him to, but wasn't sure he did the right thing. So he opened it up to check on it. If he did it wrong, he could correct next time in a similar situation. That's fine once the tournament is over and you're back in your hotel room, but you shouldn't be consulting strategy aids while actively playing the tournament.

I do think they should clearly communicate the rule that none of this shit is allowed during the tournament, and explain the penalties for doing so. Then anyone caught should be punished as previously stated.

Bronze
    Load Metric

I don't think "E=MC^2" is a very offensive note. It's not like they left a note saying, "Watch your back in the parking lot, nerd!"

The problem with looking at charts in between hands is that the dude was likely trying to refine his play during the tournament. He played the way he thought the chart/solver would have told him to, but wasn't sure he did the right thing. So he opened it up to check on it. If he did it wrong, he could correct next time in a similar situation. That's fine once the tournament is over and you're back in your hotel room, but you shouldn't be consulting strategy aids while actively playing the tournament.

I do think they should clearly communicate the rule that none of this shit is allowed during the tournament, and explain the penalties for doing so. Then anyone caught should be punished as previously stated.
    It's totally cheating and agree, Wilson using the "nerd" defense makes him look that much more pathetic. TD's all over should announce prior to the start of a tournament that anyone caught reading a poker chart/RTA in between hands or during a hand will be disqualified immediately and the buyin NOT refunded. I bet that would put an end to these people cheating and yes I'm calling it cheating because that's what it is.

Comments

sah_24: +1

Load Metric

They're pretty clear about it.

"Betting apps and charts may not be used by players with live hands. Other devices, tools, photography, videography, and communication must not create a nuisance"

Also not RTA.

Go figure the asshole was the one breaking the rules.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Yeah I missed the "live hands" part. That must be why Matt Savage thanked Jared Jaffee for bringing the subject up on Twitter, because he presumably plans to request to modify this rule at the upcoming TDA meeting.

I don't think the "E=MC^2" note is harassment. It's clearly a joke, and basically a gentle way to tell the guy that they don't appreciate seeing this shit at the table. There's no threat in that note (direct or implied), nor is there any personal insult. If I were using those charts while playing and someone left me that note, I'd think to myself, "Well obviously some people are bothered by this... maybe I better rethink using these tools here."

Load Metric
    Yeah I missed the "live hands" part. That must be why Matt Savage thanked Jared Jaffee for bringing the subject up on Twitter, because he presumably plans to request to modify this rule at the upcoming TDA meeting.

I don't think the "E=MC^2" note is harassment. It's clearly a joke, and basically a gentle way to tell the guy that they don't appreciate seeing this shit at the table. There's no threat in that note (direct or implied), nor is there any personal insult. If I were using those charts while playing and someone left me that note, I'd think to myself, "Well obviously some people are bothered by this... maybe I better rethink using these tools here."
    Yea we don't play by the rules of a possible future or applaud related vigilante faggotry.

Never said the note was harassment. All that is needed by current rules is that it causes nuisance.

Do love the last few lines, "If I were using those charts while playing and someone left me that note, I'd think to myself, "Well obviously some people are bothered by this... maybe I better rethink using these tools here."". When has anything remotely close to that happened in your life?

Load Metric

sure not an offensive note but its still shithouse behaviour same as taking the sly pic of him over his shoulder

if he had a problem should have just spoken to the lad directly or called the floor rather that acting how he did for likes on twitter that shit is just massive faggotry
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"

Thread Information