Thread: Can Brad Owen hit a HR off of a girl?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Can Brad Owen hit a HR off of a girl?

Poker vlogger Brad Owen is 34 years old, and used to play little league baseball.

Poker photographer Hayley Hotchstelter is 32, and used to be a girls softball pitcher in either high school or college. She was apparently pretty good at the time, but hasn't pitched much lately. She claims to still "lift weights" regularly, though.

Hayley has challenged Brad that she will throw him 50 consecutive pitches from 43 feet away, and that he cannot hit a single pitch over the wall, which is 215 feet away.

https://twitter.com/hayleyocho/status/1538251515361579008
    https://twitter.com/hayleyocho/status/1538288777910636544

https://twitter.com/TheBradOwen/status/1538251682517118976

Apparently Matt Berkey, who is in his early 40s and works out a lot, also interjected himself into this. He went with Brad today to take some practice swings against Hayley, who was also stretching out her pitching arm and trying to get used to it again.

https://twitter.com/TheBradOwen/status/1538662173311807492

Given that Berkey managed one bomb off of her (despite being well over 40 and not a baseball guy), now I like Brad's chances. Prior to this practice session, I thought he was drawing kinda slim, given the 43 foot distance and the fact that most good female softball pitchers can throw 65mph. It is possible Hayley will throw faster once the competition occurs, and nobody will be able to get a solid enough hit to crank it out.

The Vegas heat might also be a factor. Hayley might get tired by the later pitches.

What do you guys think?

Comments

FRANKRIZZO: interesting

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Hmmm... now Berkey is claiming to have played Division II college baseball, so that might explain why he can still hit fairly well.

https://twitter.com/berkey11/status/1538582945606250496

Load Metric
    I doubt it, but I’ve never tried to hit a serious female softball pitcher. It all depends if she can really get it up to around 60. That’s about equivalent to lower to mid 80s with a baseball.

Obviously 215 is short, but softballs don’t travel as far either and he needs to square one up.

I played a lot more than 2 years of little league, and I would often go to the batting cages when they had them attached to a driving range. There used to be a ton of those. Now they’re more likely attached to a race car track for kids or putt putt. Back when I was younger, I could lace a lot of line drives off the major league setting. I’m sure none would have been actual MLB homeruns. Less sure if any would have went 215. Most of the time I was fortunate if it would have been a solid single over the second basemen. That shit is fast.

I did it again a few years ago with kids. I could foul off a few, but not get around or even keep any in play at this age.

So if the softball to MLB pitch equivalency charts I see are correct, and she can throw 58-60, that’s 80s. Some two year little leaguer in his thirties is going to be fortunate to ever make that kind of contact. He’ll have to hope her skills have greatly degraded also.

A div 2 college player isn’t comparable to a kid who played two years of little league. I was an every year all star in little league and even pony league. Above that, I was a great defensive catcher and generally poor hitter. If I had tried to play even Div 3 baseball, I would have won a gold glove for defense and hit .140. I’m guessing I was way better than that Owen dude and way worse than that Berkey dude.

Hitting a ball thrown fast isn’t like basketball. Hardest thing in the world to do as evidenced by hall of famers failing 70% of the time. Making contact with a softball is easier, but at that speed, really squaring at 80mph is hard for what I’d consider a non-athlete if you’re talking 2 years of little league. I’m guessing she was sandbagging a little during their session, or else she isn’t close to that speed.

I’d need 25-1 to try it at my age, probably 5-1 at his age if she could really throw 60, yet I’d take almost any small college female basketball player on under 5’8 at even money even at this age.

There are some who’d beat me, but I’d beat all but the sharpshooters. I’ve actually done that when I had cancer and was early 30s and beat the daughter of a guy I worked with who kept insisting his daughter could beat me. I watched her play at some small college over there and said no fucking way.

I was in horrible shape and sick, but the girl wasn’t a shooter. She was a banger who was 5’7 150 with dreadlocks who thought she was black. I watched her and said how the fuck is she going to get off a shot or stop me? I had 4 inches, 50 lbs, and could always shoot also. He was cocky, and she was cocky, and I beat her 11-2. I gave her the free looks after being up 8-0.

But hitting a ball traveling at the equivalent of 80+ mph isn’t happening. She better be really throwing 43, in which case a lot of decent middle-ages athletes could.

Load Metric
    I remember when that blond broad from USA softball pitched to Barry Bonds. He basically hit a HR every time with one arm while laughing at her the whole time.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by devidee View Post
    I remember when that blond broad from USA softball pitched to Barry Bonds. He basically hit a HR every time with one arm while laughing at her the whole time.
    Yeah, but he did that to MLB pitchers also. They just walked him even when it moved runners along.

Load Metric
    If she is smart, just send the first pitch high & tight and thus guarantee victory.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Cant she just locate the ball in a spot that makes a HR very unlikely? I don't know enough about the mechanics of softball to know how to go about doing this, but I assume she does. Is there some stipulation about pitch location/quality?

Platinum
    Load Metric
    I would bet he can't do it

But I have no idea if he has any ability or how big he is..
    Fat dudes can smash a softball

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Also if he wants to angle shoot….use a baseball bat. If bat type wasn’t agreed upon.

Silver
    Load Metric
    Is there a wager involved for real $$ or this just some bullshit promo for their youtube channels?

Load Metric
    This reminds me of the last time I took an at bat against my son. He was 16 at the time and throwing 75-80 mph. I hit a little dribbler that just passed him and died before it made it to the shortstop, and I made it to first base. I was all: “I can still hit you!” Never again did I dare face him, he’d have probably beaned me!

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Yes, Burkey has stated several times over the last few years on his podcast that he played baseball.

Load Metric
    Kanye West found out that his girlfriend was a D1 college softball pitcher and he is gonna cancel her over exactly this issue

Thread Information