Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PGA Tour SUSPENDS Phil Mickelson, Dustin Johnson, Sergio Garcia and 14 others

Load Metric

PGA Tour SUSPENDS Phil Mickelson, Dustin Johnson, Sergio Garcia and 14 others

PGA Tour SUSPENDS Phil Mickelson, Dustin Johnson, Sergio Garcia and 14 other defectors to Saudi-backed LIV Golf Series: 'These players made their choice for financial-based reasons'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sp...ed-series.html

Well, yeah. If somebody offers you a ton of money just to play in another golf tour, what do you think they are going to do?

Phil Mickelson's soul can be bought for $200 million.

But Tiger Woods can't be bought for $1 Billion?

Tiger better reconsider. His days on the golf course may be limited in the future as well as his earnings.

PGA tour may be finished too.

FUCK THE PGA.

Nova Scotia's #1 Party Rocker!!!!11 DJ_Chaps's Avatar
    Load Metric
    NO BUD, FUCK THE SAUDIS AND FUCK THE LIV.

PHIL WILL GAMBLE THAT AWAY IN 10 YEARS.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Chaps' 2017-18 NFL $$ Thread

Load Metric
    Money talks faggots.

My buddy works at a nonprofit in Portland; LIV bumped their charity tournament and routed them a cool 2 mil for the inconvenience.

Looking forward to it. LOL KHASHOGGI
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    LIV is soon DEAD.

Only smaller tours might be hurt. And the XFL.

On no it's DeChambeau
    Last edited by limitles; 06-09-2022 at 12:58 PM. Reason: xfl zinger

Load Metric
    Saudis? Money? Scandal?

Ok yall, there is only one person on earth who can fix this: Jared K*shner

Load Metric
    Name:  C4FCD364-D002-46C0-A5A7-37FC700E3863.jpeg
Views: 323
Size:  150.9 KB

Load Metric
    I have no skin in the game here as to see LIV succeed or fail. That said I’m amazed how much support the PGA has got from most of the players. They remind of the NCAA in many ways in that they aren’t nearly as needed as they pretend to be. DJ has made 90M in lifetime earnings from the PGA. Less if you consider a lot of $$ came from majors he can still play in. He has a guarantee of 125M for the rest of his career. All the rest of the players are chipping up a much bigger pot of $$…,, and this is supposed to be bad?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post
    I have no skin in the game here as to see LIV succeed or fail. That said I’m amazed how much support the PGA has got from most of the players. They remind of the NCAA in many ways in that they aren’t nearly as needed as they pretend to be. DJ has made 90M in lifetime earnings from the PGA. Less if you consider a lot of $$ came from majors he can still play in. He has a guarantee of 125M for the rest of his career. All the rest of the players are chipping up a much bigger pot of $$…,, and this is supposed to be bad?
    The PGA Tour doesn’t control any of the majors. The only power they got over the players is money, and Saudis have them covered. I think they got their work cut out for them though. One of the big attractions on tour are the venues themselves. The only good track in the LIV rotation is Doral.

I believe it should be an individual decision, but I wouldn’t take that blood money. The prince of Saudi Arabia conspired to murder an American citizen and the Saudis sponsor terrorist organizations around the world. I’ll take their oil though, because I don’t want to be paying $10 for a gallon for gas.

Load Metric
    I always hear people bitching about Saudi “blood money”, but how many actually do anything about it? They support Starbucks, McDonald’s, Pepsi, AT&T, etc. All do business there so if people really want to take a stand, they would boycott those companies.

But they don’t obviously and it work be hard to avoid every company that does business there. But it’s hypocritical to me to complain about golfers who take their money to better their families.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayjami View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post
    The PGA Tour doesn’t control any of the majors. The only power they got over the players is money, and Saudis have them covered. I think they got their work cut out for them though. One of the big attractions on tour are the venues themselves. The only good track in the LIV rotation is Doral.

I believe it should be an individual decision, but I wouldn’t take that blood money. The prince of Saudi Arabia conspired to murder an American citizen and the Saudis sponsor terrorist organizations around the world. I’ll take their oil though, because I don’t want to be paying $10 for a gallon for gas.

If Binden can play with them (July mtg) then Phil Michelson can too. Biden will leave the Raytheon product catalog for them I trust

Comments

JoeD: I've been thinking the same thing but not mentioned all that much

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    The attraction provided by the PGA tour has always been the best against the best.

The LIV tour will likely never achieve anything close to that. Cut to Dustin Johnson winning his fifth Sandy Dunes Open in five years.

It's time for the beheading of one of golf's real jerks, Greg Norman.

Also, Saudi's first tournament held 9-11
    Last edited by limitles; 06-10-2022 at 09:34 AM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post
    The attraction provided by the PGA tour has always been the best against the best.
    I’m not following too closely but I do have a good understanding of the history of the ABA and the NBA and the resulting merger. Big contracts and all that ring familiar.

I’ll make a bet something similar results in a few years.

Golf controversy in the post tiger era isn’t a bad thing for the game. Again very similar to the NBA and ABA.

Load Metric
    This kind of reminds me of the auto racing situation in the 80s. The guy that owned the Indianapolis 500 started his own league. It killed the open wheel racing circuit. Before then, nobody outside the Deep South gave two fucks about NASCAR. It filled the void and the rest is history.

My home town, Bakersfield, has produced some great auto racers: George Snyder; Rick, Roger and Casey Mears; Kevin Harvick; and dragster Roger Coburn. They all got their start at the legendary “Okie Bowl”, a 1/4 mile dirt track in Oildale, still in operation today.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayjami View Post
    This kind of reminds me of the auto racing situation in the 80s. The guy that owned the Indianapolis 500 started his own league. It killed the open wheel racing circuit. Before then, nobody outside the Deep South gave two fucks about NASCAR. It filled the void and the rest is history.

My home town, Bakersfield, has produced some great auto racers: George Snyder; Rick, Roger and Casey Mears; Kevin Harvick; and dragster Roger Coburn. They all got their start at the legendary “Okie Bowl”, a 1/4 mile dirt track in Oildale, still in operation today.
    Other than your example no start-up/break-away league has lasted the test of time. And golf is unique in that monies (excluding any and all appearance fees) are up for grabs. This is not about free agency or salary caps.

Giving some slack for start-up difficulties this could not be a less appealing leaderboard.

Name:  A295240E-3054-42FE-AEBC-29CEA77720CE.jpeg
Views: 268
Size:  571.6 KB

Load Metric
    As opposed to this leaderboard? Oh that’s right, this tournament is in Canada so it’s really a 3rd world tournament too.

Seriously how bad have the drugs and alcohol ruined your brain and your life?

Name:  8E4159CA-3A4D-4741-AD6F-6D3B29ADC285.jpeg
Views: 485
Size:  428.7 KB

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by The Boz View Post
    As opposed to this leaderboard? Oh that’s right, this tournament is in Canada so it’s really a 3rd world tournament too.

Seriously how bad have the drugs and alcohol ruined your brain and your life?

Name:  8E4159CA-3A4D-4741-AD6F-6D3B29ADC285.jpeg
Views: 485
Size:  428.7 KB
    I would bury you in a minute

btw, take a look at the names in either leaderboard. you fool

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Sounds like the PGA tour is ripe for an Anti Trust lawsuit

Load Metric
    I always thought the best chance for LIV was to put the Euro (DP Tour) in a tough spot. DP tour has been struggling with having a lack of dependable stars on top of the leaderboards week to week. Many tournaments pay about 300K to the winner. Last place in LIV this week will pocket about 200K and that doesn’t count signing bonus/appearance fees they have negotiated.

The DP tour was always going to get a good number of defectors. A few months back when DJ and Bryson said they were sticking with the PGA, I thought the best strategy for LIV was to poach from the DP Tour. Well now DJ has applied for membership to the DP Tour. This would allow him to earn points towards majors in which his exempt status could dwindle over time. This is where it gets interesting.

If you look at the current state of the DP Tour it seems apparent it is in their interest to allow not only the members already on DP to hop back and forth but to accept the 17 (so far) suspended players by the PGA. I’m sure there is a lot of lobbying behind the scenes. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Load Metric
    BTW the product sucks and will probably suck for a long time. This is a major league grift where Norman basically has already succeeded spending the Saudi money and filling a field. It’s still pretty fascinating to watch go down.

Basically you are getting guys way out of their prime, younger guys whose form has been off for some time, a few guys with ability that for whatever reason just wanted to do their own thing ($$$$) & you got a few young guys with talent that made the move for the dough. Best example is Sam Horsfield.

The Saudis know they are lighting money on fire but they got the money to burn. This is about money for the players, but for the “investors” they just wanted to see this thing happen. When profitably is not an issue and it’s just “goodwill” or whatever you want to call what the Saudis think they are getting from this, then Norman has done about the best he could.

The tournament happened. He got DJ & Bryson. Norman’s got to be happy. Not to mention he’s got a huge hard on for the PGA and loves fucking with them. There’s also the politics of using at least two Trump courses which includes Doral for the finale, which was removed from the tour because of politics a few years ago. Now it will be interesting to see what the DP Tour does and the Masters. Monaghan has to be lobbying them hard to enforce the ban.

The DP Tour has a “Rolex Series” of events and a “Race to Dubai” which is its own version of the Fed Ex Cup. I think DJ and Bryson being a part of that will help them stay viable. The PGA tour is going to be fine. The DP Tour is the one in the toughest spot. I think they have to let these guys play LIV.

I agree this isn’t great golf but it’s not about the viewers. This is about money & ego. That being said, they certainly could of picked an easier golf course and set-up for their first event. It would be a better look to have players scoring better but like I said, I really don’t think they give a shit.
    Last edited by JeffDime; 06-10-2022 at 05:26 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffDime View Post
    BTW the product sucks and will probably suck for a long time. This is a major league grift where Norman basically has already succeeded spending the Saudi money and filling a field. It’s still pretty fascinating to watch go down.

Basically you are getting guys way out of their prime, younger guys whose form has been off for some time, a few guys with ability that for whatever reason just wanted to do their own thing ($$$$) & you got a few young guys with talent that made the move for the dough. Best example is Sam Horsfield.

The Saudis know they are lighting money on fire but they got the money to burn. This is about money for the players, but for the “investors” they just wanted to see this thing happen. When profitably is not an issue and it’s just “goodwill” or whatever you want to call what the Saudis think they are getting from this, then Norman has done about the best he could.

The tournament happened. He got DJ & Bryson. Norman’s got to be happy. Not to mention he’s got a huge hard on for the PGA and loves fucking with them. There’s also the politics of using at least two Trump courses which includes Doral for the finale, which was removed from the tour because of politics a few years ago. Now it will be interesting to see what the DP Tour does and the Masters. Monaghan has to be lobbying them hard to enforce the ban.

The DP Tour has a “Rolex Series” of events and a “Race to Dubai” which is its own version of the Fed Ex Cup. I think DJ and Bryson being a part of that will help them stay viable. The PGA tour is going to be fine. The DP Tour is the one in the toughest spot. I think they have to let these guys play LIV.

I agree this isn’t great golf but it’s not about the viewers. This is about money & ego. That being said, they certainly could of picked an easier golf course and set-up for their first event. It would be a better look to have players scoring better but like I said, I really don’t think they give a shit.

Man, good read. nothing more

Thread Information