Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norm was a goddamn genus

Load Metric

Comments

FRANKRIZZO: genus rep

Load Metric
    Norm was about as good at comedy as he was poker, not very good.

I grew up watching him on SNL and found him about as funny as most of their bullshit catchphrase routines ( if you the pickle rick before there was a pickle rick). Over the last year I went back and watched a lot of his stuff, even his shitty TV series. I thought maybe I had missed something. And well not really. The guy has a good joke every now and then and a very unique delivery but he bats maybe .300. There is just way too much shit to sort out between his moments of gold. His Netflix special was the exact same, I thought maybe his brain was deteriorating at that point but no its probably on par with all his stuff over the past ten years. I'd put him right up there with Adam Corolla.

That's not too say he was a bad comedian, just not that good. Everyone jumping on his nuts is what's to be expected in today's climate.

Comments

devidee: He’s not for everyone

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BetCheckBet View Post

I grew up watching him on SNL and found him about as funny as most of their bullshit catchphrase routines ( if you the pickle rick before there was a pickle rick). Over the last year I went back and watched a lot of his stuff, even his shitty TV series. I thought maybe I had missed something. And well not really. The guy has a good joke every now and then and a very unique delivery but he bats maybe .300. There is just way too much shit to sort out between his moments of gold. His Netflix special was the exact same, I thought maybe his brain was deteriorating at that point but no its probably on par with all his stuff over the past ten years. I'd put him right up there with Adam Corolla.

That's not too say he was a bad comedian, just not that good. Everyone jumping on his nuts is what's to be expected in today's climate.
    You might have to take a look in the mirror and face the reality that you may not have a sense of humor.

Norm and Dave Atell were/are the "comedians comics" of their generation. I challenge you to find any comic who says a negative word about either of them.

Norm's timing and wordplay was impeccable.

Load Metric
    dave atell was actually funny tho.

norm macdonald came up with hilarious bits but wasnt funny enough to make them land.

he had this one great gag about how ludicrous the notion of being proud of ones gay son was, where he was riffing on some dad showing his coworkers pictures of his son and being like yeah he graduated princeton this weekend, AND HE LOVES SUCKING COCK, etc etc.

and the thing is someone actually good at comedy could have made it hilarious but coming out of norms mouth, it was just awkward and kinda lazy and people were laughing at how audacious a thing it was to say, not the actual joke.

and thats norm macdonalds legacy imo.

Comments

devidee: You have extremely poor taste.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    like.. if you like norm macdonald you probably love dennis miller.

Comments

devidee: This may be the worst of your takes.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Seems to be a common disconnect here of people not understanding that Norm's entire shtick was intentional.

Speaking of Miller tho, that was one of Norms GOAT moments:

Comments

devidee: Like I said, genus.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    I am proof this isn’t true. I wouldn’t let Dennis Miller suck MY cock.

Dennis Miller never had a funny moment. Ever

Norm McDonald’s schtick. He woulda out smarted Dennis Miller and did. Graduated High school at 14 of some such shit.

Comments

sonatine: fair fair

Load Metric

I grew up watching him on SNL and found him about as funny as most of their bullshit catchphrase routines
    ( if you the pickle rick before there was a pickle rick). Over the last year I went back and watched a lot of his stuff, even his shitty TV series. I thought maybe I had missed something. And well not really. The guy has a good joke every now and then and a very unique delivery but he bats maybe .300. There is just way too much shit to sort out between his moments of gold. His Netflix special was the exact same, I thought maybe his brain was deteriorating at that point but no its probably on par with all his stuff over the past ten years. I'd put him right up there with Adam Corolla.

I discovered Norm McDonald late. I can’t say I ever saw him on SNL. That prolly had something to do with fact that SNL was just awful after 1984 (being generous) and I never watched it in the ‘90’s.

You were a kid and didn’t know better obviously.

Mom: “If you don’t behave BCB Jr. I’m going to confine you to the family room to watch SNL on a Saturday night.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    I am proof this isn’t true. I wouldn’t let Dennis Miller suck MY cock.

Dennis Miller never had a funny moment. Ever

Norm McDonald’s schtick. He woulda out smarted Dennis Miller and did. Graduated High school at 14 of some such shit.
    Yeah, the only positive thing I will say about Miller is I appreciate the hustle.

But his shtick was....meh. Tried to be a smug, highbrow, Carlin. Worked well enough for awhile, then he angle-shot himself into being a conservative comic post 9/11. He made some money.

Load Metric
    There is enormous appeal when you witness someone who legitimately gives zero fucks. The whole cancer story from his 20’s I later discover

Others claim to not care and be fearless but very few comics measured up to that metric.

this is why I am a huge fan of lol wow

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Hilarious

Load Metric
    amazing that in a room full of Norm sycophants not a single one of you has defended his poker playing.

Yes I even enjoyed Norm's PANDA game story. But as I said being deadpan only takes you so far. That's the difference between him and Bill Murray.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    amazing that in a room full of Norm sycophants not a single one of you has defended his poker playing.

Yes I even enjoyed Norm's PANDA game story. But as I said being deadpan only takes you so far. That's the difference between him and Bill Murray.
    Have you lost your mind or was there one to lose?

Comments

dwai: lol

Nova Scotia's #1 Party Rocker!!!!11 DJ_Chaps's Avatar
    Load Metric
    I didn't get him, so he sucks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Chaps' 2017-18 NFL $$ Thread

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Chaps View Post
    I didn't get him, so he sucks.

Load Metric

For the record, back in the 90s, Norm was a slightly above average limit hold’em player. He played mostly 3-6 at The Mirage. Nobody thought he was a fish. On the other hand I was never too worried about him either.

Feelin' Stronger Every Day tony bagadonuts's Avatar
    Load Metric
    So you don't like Norm or Dennis, what comedians do you like good sir?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tony bagadonuts View Post
    So you don't like Norm or Dennis, what comedians do you like good sir?
    UCB, Cum Town, Mr Show, Louis CK... every 2 or 3 years i watch The Larry Sanders Show from bell to bell.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    The new Norm Netflix special that obv. bummed out a few was Norm running through new material while sitting down. Basically a first draft. Unpolished in other words. No one would put out a special in this format. It's alright if your dead and Norm probably would see the humour in releasing it.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Norm's genus was homo

Thread Information