Thread: I need a 3-5 year savings account what are some good options?

Platinum
    Load Metric

I need a 3-5 year savings account what are some good options?

Possibly longer, but 3-5 should be a pretty good estimate. I know with interest rates I won't be getting shit but might as well get what I can.

Anyone have any good recommendations?

Think of someone who wanted to save for a down payment on a house, and then needed all the money at the end. Don't need a dime of it for any reason up until I take it all out.

TIA.

Load Metric
    How much money are you talking? Are you putting in a lump sum now or small increments each month?

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooh View Post
    How much money are you talking? Are you putting in a lump sum now or small increments each month?
    Monthly increments.

Load Metric
    Personally, I wouldn't go the money market/savings acct route....you're actually losing money with inflation.

I have a lot of money in S&P 500 but I am bullish. It pays roughly 2% dividend and should be fine in a 3-5 yr horizon. Basically you own the 500 largest companies in the US. If you have at least 10k the annual fee is .08% which is almost nothing.

Load Metric
    Personally, I wouldn't go the money market/savings acct route....you're actually losing money with inflation.

I have a lot of money in S&P 500 but I am bullish. It pays roughly 2% dividend and should be fine in a 3-5 yr horizon. Basically you own the 500 largest companies in the US. If you have at least 10k the annual fee is .08% which is almost nothing.
    what is it that you have, some type of index mutual fund that has every one of the 500 stocks.... is it a vanguard fund or something else?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBornHustler View Post
    Possibly longer, but 3-5 should be a pretty good estimate. I know with interest rates I won't be getting shit but might as well get what I can.

Anyone have any good recommendations?

Think of someone who wanted to save for a down payment on a house, and then needed all the money at the end. Don't need a dime of it for any reason up until I take it all out.

TIA.
    Quote Originally Posted by tony bagadonuts View Post

Look Corrigan, you've been a sideshow clown around here from the jump
    It's tough to take you seriously when you've made your bones acting the fool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittney Griner's Clit View Post
    Which one is he?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by XteraveX View Post

what is it that you have, some type of index mutual fund that has every one of the 500 stocks.... is it a vanguard fund or something else?
    I've got a few but yes, VFIAX

It's weighted top heavy but basically whole 500. For a 3-5 year plan its a no brainer.

Load Metric
    Stay the fuck away from bonds whatever you do. Interest rates and bond prices work inversely and interest rates can't go down anymore. Once they start increasing bond prices will plunge and you will take a bath. Everyone who owns bonds will be jumping ship....to stocks.

Gold is another bubble that is ready to burst and when it does it will likely be a free fall.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by XteraveX View Post

I've got a few but yes, VFIAX

It's weighted top heavy but basically whole 500. For a 3-5 year plan its a no brainer.

thanks much. i need something for a stash away........ did taxes today,, i owe next to nothing so i got some leftover $ to do something with. not much but i thought i was going to owe an average amount this year. going to google that vfiax right now....

Vanguard 500 Index Fund Admiral Shares (VFIAX)
    https://personal.vanguard.com/us/fun...FundIntExt=INT

lol....i was going to stick my $ in a bond fund....duh...thanks bro

Feelin' Stronger Every Day tony bagadonuts's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Stay the fuck away from bonds whatever you do. Interest rates and bond prices work inversely and interest rates can't go down anymore. Once they start increasing bond prices will plunge and you will take a bath. Everyone who owns bonds will be jumping ship....to stocks.

Gold is another bubble that is ready to burst and when it does it will likely be a free fall.

Pooh is the shit.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Slot machines and Bitcoins obv, what rock have you been hiding under???

Load Metric

This is what people were saying when gold hit 1k an once too.

The only thing keeping the dollar from plummeting further and pushing gold prices even higher is the unmitigated disaster known as the euro. Nothing else has changed. Once the eurozone mess is dealt with gold will resume its rise.
    "Let us be thankful for the fools. But for them the rest of us could not succeed. " -Mark Twain

twitter.com/jvferg72

Load Metric
    For the next few years I would consider a dividend paying REIT. But then I googled dividend paying reit and the first article I came up with was one by Scott Matusow. http://seekingalpha.com/article/3801...ials-and-reits

Thread Information