Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blast from the past

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric

Blast from the past

Druff
    I want to start out by saying that I am not here to harass or troll you and this is not a dupe account (which I am sure an ip check will help confirm).

A brief history
    I started playing online in 2002 - 2003 (pre moneymaker) mostly on stars. In those days it was quite possible to consistently earn in nl ring games by always raising in postion preflop and c-betting. As a relative novice, I was able to amass a bankroll approaching 6 figures playing 3-6 and 5-10 nl. I was nowhere near as good as I thought I was but the competition was so. Horrible that it was hard to lose.

At the time, 5-10 was the biggest nl game offered on stars. I hapened to open the 100/200 lhe room and was entranced by some of the huge pots. I figured I was crushing "the biggest" nl games so how hard could it be to beat limit. After getting aproval from stars to sit in that game I prepared to make my fortune.

I sat - and proceeded to get crushed by, among others, Neverwin and The Grinder. I dropped around 18k that session and learned that limit was a very diff game.

Afterwards, I did some research into the guys who had crushed me - this is when I first found NWP.
    End of part one - Next, my discovery of NWP and Druff, micon and Dustin

Load Metric
    Last edited by DRK Star; 09-12-2012 at 05:50 AM.

Load Metric
    Sticky this, IMO.
    "You run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole; you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole."

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tony bagadonuts View Post

Look Corrigan, you've been a sideshow clown around here from the jump
    It's tough to take you seriously when you've made your bones acting the fool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittney Griner's Clit View Post
    Which one is he?

Load Metric

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Actually, there was to be a point to my story - that I was around when Todd made his first posts on NWP - and those posts were basically trolling Dustin. Was going to point out irony of, MEH, never mind - remainder of post cancelled due to lack of interest.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by old time lurker View Post
    Actually, there was to be a point to my story - that I was around when Todd made his first posts on NWP - and those posts were basically trolling Dustin. Was going to point out irony of, MEH, never mind - remainder of post cancelled due to lack of interest.
    You got some quality posters responding. WTF?
    "You run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole; you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole."

Load Metric
    Oh? I bet people will be just riveted by stories of forum posts from 8 years ago. Do tell.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    LLL
    Rollo's "cool story" and the above post by gut make it pretty clear that I was wasting my time. Although, I must say that Druff's trolling of Neverwin had a point to it unlike the pointless trolling that seems to go on here.
    Gut - sorry for wasting your time on a "poker" forum with poker stories. Please continue with your important business.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    LLL
    Rollo's "cool story" and the above post by gut make it pretty clear that I was wasting my time. Although, I must say that Druff's trolling of Neverwin had a point to it unlike the pointless trolling that seems to go on here.
    Gut - sorry for wasting your time on a "poker" forum with poker stories. Please continue with your important business.
    As you said, my trolling of Neverwin had a point. We played all the time at Pokerstars 30-60 and talked shit to each other constantly as part of the game.

We had not met, and neither of us knew anything about the other at the time.

Here is what I believe to be my first NWP post ever -- from May, 2004:

http://web.archive.org/web/200409072...=viewtopic&t=1

Load Metric
    Old Man Lurker

We just want to be entertained and amused. Im sure you have some good stories from back in the day. I didnt find any of the poker sites until around 2008, and have NO CLUE what went down on these degenerate forums before that.

Please continue

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Druff
    I actually remember that post quite well. It is what made me come back to NWP. I was fascinated that you were saying that one of the guys who raped me at 100/200 lhe was actually terrible and what that meant about my play at lhe.

Darkstar - true story in 2004 I won 13 Aruba classic sats on UB ( no I was not a superuser. That year they actually awarded cash for sat wins). That year in Aruba, I spent a day playing 1/2 nl with, among others, Perry Friedman who told me I had to try this new site he helped set up - FTP. He even offered to personally send me a jacket if I signed up. He rolled me and never sent the jacket even after I emailed him and he confirmed that he would - go figure.
    Seemingly the Johnny Hughes of PFA

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Druff
    I actually remember that post quite well. It is what made me come back to NWP. I was fascinated that you were saying that one of the guys who raped me at 100/200 lhe was actually terrible and what that meant about my play at lhe.

Darkstar - true story in 2004 I won 13 Aruba classic sats on UB ( no I was not a superuser. That year they actually awarded cash for sat wins). That year in Aruba, I spent a day playing 1/2 nl with, among others, Perry Friedman who told me I had to try this new site he helped set up - FTP. He even offered to personally send me a jacket if I signed up. He rolled me and never sent the jacket even after I emailed him and he confirmed that he would - go figure.
    By the time I made that post, neverwin was actually good. I was just talking trash.

He sucked in 2003. He markedly improved in 2004 and became a great shorthanded player.

For the record, The Grinder actually sucked at limit hold 'em for longer, and kept losing in that game. He also improved over the years. First, he became very successful at NL tournaments, and then he vastly improved his limit (and mix) game skills.

Obviously given his recent 50k Mix Event results at the WSOP, along with his final table at the Main Event in 2010, it's safe to say he doesn't suck anymore.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I should also mention that The Grinder is actually a very nice guy.

When I first met him, I expected him to be arrogant and aloof, but he was actually softspoken and very easy to get along with.

Load Metric
    Druff

You should have warned us then about FTP!

Load Metric
    OP is Mark "PokerH0" Kroon?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    We had not met, and neither of us knew anything about the other at the time.

Here is what I believe to be my first NWP post ever -- from May, 2004:

http://web.archive.org/web/200409072...=viewtopic&t=1

I love how Neverheeb dives in at the end-

"Alright, obviously since my last posts were soooo friekin intelligent and on point, i would like to say for the record... you guys are hella stupid once again. OOOOF nine perfriekin cent, neverwin is the master, and why does dan druff talking crap, i ruined that guy one day, absolutely owned by my shit talking skillz, i hella made his ass bust, bee atch"

Did you actually play against Neverheeb or is he just insane? I thought that he made and lost that $60k in a very short period of time.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Deal
    Funny you say that. I am not poker ho but I split several sat wins with him and as far as I know he was the only one who won more aruba sats than me that year. Frankly, I have always been suprised that he never got huge (live) like some other early players because that guy was a tourney beast.

Interesting you mention Grinder's improvement in that time frame. In 2005, I played extensively with him and Eric at the PCA - when I came back I told several poker buddies that they were amazing tourney players and were going to be huge. Not to many months later grinder won his first wpt event. I also found michael and particularly Eric to be down to earth guys. I also played quite a bit with fabrice soulier at side events that year and was impresses by his play. Interesting (well to me anyway) I played ahand with fabrice in a $1000 event where I put him so on tilt that he walked around the room muttering for like 20 minutes.

I Don't mean to sound arrogant about my accomplishments - the average player in those days was terribad. I don't really play any more (wife, kids and work etc.) but I have on doubt that todays players would crush me as the overall skill level is so much higher.

Seem to be post restricted - bcr I played a ton of those sats with KK and legggggy also gator95 or something. I did cash i sev wpt events but you prob never heard of me - just another guy who did pretty well in the old days and then dissapeared. Interestingly enough - I am from pgh.
    Last edited by old time lurker; 09-12-2012 at 06:09 PM.
    Seemingly the Johnny Hughes of PFA

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Deal View Post
    OP is Mark "PokerH0" Kroon?

I was going through a shortlist in my head of those who won a ton of those. That was certainly one of the guys I recall,(pokerho, krazykanuck, jcksup, pokerpro1234, legggggy, I am probably misspelling some of these names) but I don't recall him as a limit player It's entirely possible as everyone played at least some limit at that time and I simply forget. I killed those Aruba sats also, probably the most single profitable thing I ever encountered besides the heads up sit-n-goes. I was thinking 2004 was the year where you had to keep one, and then any following wins you could cash in, but it sounds like my memory might be off. I remember winning a number of Aruba trips and I was going to have to eat one. IIRC, I had to get something from a doctor showing I was ill and they allowed me to opt out or something along those lines. Those years are fuzzy. I think in '01, and '02 it was a smaller tournament with a 5k buy in before it was raised.

The poster said lurker, if he said infrequent poster, I was going to say topset72? or something along those lines. I don't remember him from the tournaments, but I know he played limit quite a bit back in that era and was on NWP. I don't know if he made an account here.

edit-reread op, and see he was more of a nl player who just occasionally played limit, that described a lot of those good tourney players. I particularly recall stuckinpgh killing me a few times when I made that move after a good score. I always remembered the name because I lived in Pittsburgh, and then eventually became familiar with Reggi on the sites
    Last edited by BCR; 09-12-2012 at 05:41 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Deal
    Funny you say that. I am not poker ho but I split several sat wins with him and as far as I know he was the only one who won more aruba sats than me that year. Frankly, I have always been suprised that he never got huge (live) like some other early players because that guy was a tourney beast.

Interesting you mention Grinder's improvement in that time frame. In 2005, I played extensively with him and Eric at the PCA - when I came back I told several poker buddies that they were amazing tourney players and were going to be huge. Not to many months later grinder won his first wpt event. I also found michael and particularly Eric to be down to earth guys. I also played quite a bit with fabrice soulier at side events that year and was impresses by his play. Interesting (well to me anyway) I played ahand with fabrice in a $1000 event where I put him so on tilt that he walked around the room muttering for like 20 minutes.

I Don't mean to sound arrogant about my accomplishments - the average player in those days was terribad. I don't really play any more (wife, kids and work etc.) but I have on doubt that todays players would crush me as the overall skill level is so much higher.

Seem to be post restricted - bcr I played a ton of those sats with KK and legggggy also gator95 or something. I did cash i sev wpt events but you prob never heard of me - just another guy who did pretty well in the old days and then dissapeared. Interestingly enough - I am from pgh.
    Care to tell me who you are, even privately?

I actually regret not playing more tournaments in the days when everyone sucked. Nowadays it's so much tougher.

Your post restriction was auto-lifted by the system, BTW.

Thread Information