Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: So monkeypox is definitely going to kill a few of us.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    It's actually really close if I got the smallpox vaccine or not.

I would need to know when it ended in 1972. If it ended in early '72, I didn't get it. If it ended in the middle or later part of the year, then I probably did get it. Babies typically get these vaccines about 2 months after birth.

Out of curiosity I just asked my mom by text, but there's a good chance she doesn't remember, since it's been 50 years.

Load Metric
    apparently it remains virulent when airborne for up to 90 hours.

probably nothing tho.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

I would need to know when it ended in 1972. If it ended in early '72, I didn't get it. If it ended in the middle or later part of the year, then I probably did get it. Babies typically get these vaccines about 2 months after birth.

Out of curiosity I just asked my mom by text, but there's a good chance she doesn't remember, since it's been 50 years.
    My mother is traveling right now, but I was curious myself. Not that I’m concerned about this, just curious. I’m pretty sure the small pox vaccine was the one that left the little circle I recall on peoples arms growing up. Kind of an uneven circular shape. I remember asking about it as a kid, and why I didn’t have the circle.

I can’t remember if she said they started to do it differently, or they had started phasing it out. Obviously I’m a couple years older than you. I’m not so sure I even had it, but it’s entirely possible I’m not remembering the conversation correctly. I’ll ask when she returns.

I think they may have started phasing it out before 1972

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post

My mother is traveling right now, but I was curious myself. Not that I’m concerned about this, just curious. I’m pretty sure the small pox vaccine was the one that left the little circle I recall on peoples arms growing up. Kind of an uneven circular shape. I remember asking about it as a kid, and why I didn’t have the circle.

I can’t remember if she said they started to do it differently, or they had started phasing it out. Obviously I’m a couple years older than you. I’m not so sure I even had it, but it’s entirely possible I’m not remembering the conversation correctly. I’ll ask when she returns.

That's what my mom said. She said that they left circles on your arm, and that she doesn't believe I got it. I definitely don't remember any circle on my arm from any vaccine.

It's possible that the vaccine administered 50+ years ago wouldn't help today, anyway. I mean, look at how useless the COVID vaccine becomes after just 6 months. That's why I now have this annoying twice-a-year ritual of getting myself sick (which I'm going to quit at some point).

Anyway, if monkeypox really is transmitting through gay sex, you and I have nothing to worry about. The rest of the users here... well... you never know.

Load Metric

That's what my mom said. She said that they left circles on your arm, and that she doesn't believe I got it. I definitely don't remember any circle on my arm from any vaccine.

It's possible that the vaccine administered 50+ years ago wouldn't help today, anyway. I mean, look at how useless the COVID vaccine becomes after just 6 months. That's why I now have this annoying twice-a-year ritual of getting myself sick (which I'm going to quit at some point).

Anyway, if monkeypox really is transmitting through gay sex, you and I have nothing to worry about. The rest of the users here... well... you never know.
    Yeah, I can remember my mom’s distinctly on her outer arm. I don’t recall ever seeing a circle on my father though, so it’s possible it scarred some people, and not others. It was almost like a small brand.

It was just something I recall seeing on adults growing up. My parents were born only a few months apart and assume they both had it.

I was born around Halloween in 69, so about 2.5 years older than you exactly. I don’t recall any of my peers having that circle. So they either quit doing them earlier than when they officially quit, or went to a different form of injection?

Load Metric

Anyway, if monkeypox really is transmitting through gay sex
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkeypox

Transmission

The virus enters the body through broken skin (even if not visible), respiratory tract, or the mucous membranes (eyes, nose, or mouth). Human-to-human transmission is thought to occur primarily through large respiratory droplets. Respiratory droplets generally cannot travel more than a few feet. Animal-to-human transmission may occur by bite or scratch, bush meat preparation, direct contact with body fluids or lesion material, or indirect contact with lesion material, such as through contaminated bedding.[18]

in fairness gay sex does sweat and cough a lot and contacts body fluids recreationally.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Best for op to keep in hiding to avoid the threat. Lolz.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Ronald Reagan

Load Metric
    I'm literally going to Montreal to see monkeys next week... picked a great time for it.

Nova Scotia's #1 Party Rocker!!!!11 DJ_Chaps's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    apparently it remains virulent when airborne for up to 90 hours.

probably nothing tho.

CORRECT. IT IS NOTHING. WE DONT GIVE A SHIT.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Chaps' 2017-18 NFL $$ Thread

Silver
    Load Metric

Anyway, if monkeypox really is transmitting through gay sex

Transmission

The virus enters the body through broken skin (even if not visible), respiratory tract, or the mucous membranes (eyes, nose, or mouth). Human-to-human transmission is thought to occur primarily through large respiratory droplets. Respiratory droplets generally cannot travel more than a few feet. Animal-to-human transmission may occur by bite or scratch, bush meat preparation, direct contact with body fluids or lesion material, or indirect contact with lesion material, such as through contaminated bedding.[18]

in fairness gay sex does sweat and cough a lot and contacts body fluids recreationally.
    Don’t know how to copy but the Daily Mail article is saying Spain are blaming saunas and LGBT Pride marches..for the spread .

Remember the good old aids ...
    cmoney :It would be nice if Mexico could simply get human feces out of its drinking water

Load Metric
    If it does transmit through gay sex, the safe bet is Les is the first of the regular posters to get it.

Obviously Chrissy Mitchell probably got it at his superspreader event this weekend.

Comments

zealanddonk: boom goes the dynamite

Load Metric
    If I was an obese gay man I’d be as concerned about this as the OP.

Load Metric
    We forced school-aged children to wear masks for two years because of a virus that was no threat to them at all but asking gay men to pause their random butt sex in the sauna is a bridge too far because…bigotry?

Dystopian. Hellscape.

Comments

Dan Druff: lol

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by YUUP View Post

Transmission

Don’t know how to copy but the Daily Mail article is saying Spain are blaming saunas and LGBT Pride marches..for the spread .

yeah theres a _lot_ of FUD out there right now and it seems like the 'gay sex' angle is sourcing largely from right wing amplifiers. but by all appearances its generally considered a 'big' virus so aerosol transmission would be complicated / unlikely, so perhaps the gay sex angle is correct.

hopefully we get some actual solid data from a trusted scientific body at some point. that would be refreshing.

Comments

devidee: Dr Fauci will direct you how to think.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by YUUP View Post

yeah theres a _lot_ of FUD out there right now and it seems like the 'gay sex' angle is sourcing largely from right wing amplifiers. but by all appearances its generally considered a 'big' virus so aerosol transmission would be complicated / unlikely, so perhaps the gay sex angle is correct.

hopefully we get some actual solid data from a trusted scientific body at some point. that would be refreshing.

This one is going to be interesting. The early reports on it seem to be from varied sources and multiple countries, and the gay angle seems to be from more than right-wing echo chambers.

That leaves me thinking we are looking at something a little different, or it all stems from a singular patient zero and thus far has moved only through that community. It’s weird tbh. Small pox certainly is spread from more than gay sex, yet it seems all sources say pretty much everyone involved thus far sleeps with men. Makes me wonder if we are looking at something that’s a little variation on small pox and requires a little more intense interaction than a sneeze.

Maybe that’s wishful thinking on my part being a straight dude, but it seems improbable everyone thus far hit would be gay men with standard small pox. Kind of reads like the initial reports on AIDS way back where they are sending out a warning shot on something mysterious they don’t quite understand yet.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I wonder if they will eventually handle this like they did HIV/AIDS.

Some of you don't remember this, but one of the biggest medical lies of all time existed for decades when they kept insisting AIDS "wasn't a gay disease".

It very much was a gay disease, though it did have the added elements of infection of IV drug users and a small percentage of unlucky women who banged bi guys.

At the time (1980s/1990s) it was assumed that the Straight White Male Patriarchy (tm) would not properly fund research into a deadly disease which primarily killed gay men and druggies, so the media pushed the gigantic whopper that straight people were at substantial risk.

In 1991, I remember pointing out to people in college that you were more likely to contract HIV from having buttsex one time with one gay man than vaginal sex with 500 female prostitutes. I got shouted down as a crazy bigot and homophobe, but this was correct.

Nowadays, with HIV far more under control, they directly market preventative drugs like PReP almost exclusively to gay men (though also a little to women with HIV+ male partners), and completely skip the straight demographic. If you are a sexually active straight dude and ask your doctor to prescribe you PReP, you will get laughed out of the office.

Obviously attitudes about the funding for solving "gay diseases" has changed since the '80s and '90s, but I do wonder if we will get the same nonsense about monkeypox not being a gay disease, just so the snowflakes don't feel offended that this could be stigmatized.

Load Metric

This one is going to be interesting. The early reports on it seem to be from varied sources and multiple countries, and the gay angle seems to be from more than right-wing echo chambers.

That leaves me thinking we are looking at something a little different, or it all stems from a singular patient zero and thus far has moved only through that community. It’s weird tbh. Small pox certainly is spread from more than gay sex, yet it seems all sources say pretty much everyone involved thus far sleeps with men. Makes me wonder if we are looking at something that’s a little variation on small pox and requires a little more intense interaction than a sneeze.

Maybe that’s wishful thinking on my part being a straight dude, but it seems improbable everyone thus far hit would be gay men with standard small pox. Kind of reads like the initial reports on AIDS way back where they are sending out a warning shot on something mysterious they don’t quite understand yet.

if the 'presumed positive' from the airplane end up confirmed, its airborne.

we know from west africa that it can survive in respiratory droplets but i havent heard much about the delta between this genome and the west african versions. so we wait.

of two things i am certain;

1) holy shit jab me asap.

2) holy shit invest in NVDIA.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Name:  1D6F952B-BABD-46F1-836D-1443AF189D66.jpeg
Views: 275
Size:  106.6 KB

Load Metric
    I wonder if they will eventually handle this like they did HIV/AIDS.

Some of you don't remember this, but one of the biggest medical lies of all time existed for decades when they kept insisting AIDS "wasn't a gay disease".

It very much was a gay disease, though it did have the added elements of infection of IV drug users and a small percentage of unlucky women who banged bi guys.

At the time (1980s/1990s) it was assumed that the Straight White Male Patriarchy (tm) would not properly fund research into a deadly disease which primarily killed gay men and druggies, so the media pushed the gigantic whopper that straight people were at substantial risk.

In 1991, I remember pointing out to people in college that you were more likely to contract HIV from having buttsex one time with one gay man than vaginal sex with 500 female prostitutes. I got shouted down as a crazy bigot and homophobe, but this was correct.

Nowadays, with HIV far more under control, they directly market preventative drugs like PReP almost exclusively to gay men (though also a little to women with HIV+ male partners), and completely skip the straight demographic. If you are a sexually active straight dude and ask your doctor to prescribe you PReP, you will get laughed out of the office.

Obviously attitudes about the funding for solving "gay diseases" has changed since the '80s and '90s, but I do wonder if we will get the same nonsense about monkeypox not being a gay disease, just so the snowflakes don't feel offended that this could be stigmatized.
    I don’t disagree they painted with a broad brush eventually, but from what I recall, initially it was reported as simply the gay plague. Closed bathhouses and all the focus was on the gay community.

It took awhile for the politics to catch up and change the narrative. It’s not that dissimilar to Covid.

Everyone was on the same page initially, then Trump said a few incredibly stupid things, both sides saw the opportunity to politicize it, and we sprinted to the extremes with half the Dems thinking a 35 year old was likely to end up on a ventilator and the entire right denying its existence or acting like it was a simple cold.

It’s the Achilles of America on any issue anymore. You could go to page 3 of the Covid thread and we already knew what it was, and who it was primarily a threat to, and the only math involved was comparing the obesity rates of China to the US and doubling the threat to those at actual risk.

I often wonder what it would be like if AIDS hit today. I’d guess there is 500 IV drug users for every 1 in 1982 or whenever Aids emerged. Back then the only IV drug users were the occasional guy who did two tours in Nam or some drummer for a jazz band. The narrative of it being more than a gay disease would be more honest today. I’m not sure if there are more gay men or IV drug users at this point. It has to be close, with both probably somewhere around 3-5% of the general population. It would kill a lot more if it emerged today.

Comments

sonatine:

Load Metric
    We just have to send Bruce Willis back in time to stop it from happening in the first place.

Thread Information