Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Guitar greatness

Bronze
    Load Metric
    You guys are leaving out one of the greatest guitar players of all time. This is someone that was a personal acquaintance / friend of mine, and would pull me up on stage whenever I went to his shows. I still have the voice mail he left me when he got lost on his way to Sun Studio, and he called me to ask for directions. I am talking about the King of the Surf Guitar, Dick Dale.

He played LOUD, through an early 60's brownface Showman, with his famous Stratocaster known as "The Beast." While Dick played much smaller venues than all the other musicians mentioned in this thread, his ear bleeding volume and staccato picking technique could not be matched. I play guitar in an instrumental surf band, but I am currently working on becoming a Dick Dale tribute artist. By the way, Dick met Hendrix before he was famous (Jimmy was the bass player for Little Richard). Also, SRV and Dick did a record together in 1987.

Anyway, feel free to disagree with me if you would like. I just wanted to give my personal opinion about a great guitar player. If there are any gear heads in here, feel free to tell / show me what you got!

Comments

Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe: green rep for Strat guys

Kuntmissioner: Easy to get left out when only 20 posts in thread; the potential for this topic is dozens of pages
    Last edited by Online Veteran; 05-20-2022 at 12:47 PM.

Load Metric

limited Les you been erratic like another bomb track

Tom Morello is awesome. Rage Against the Machine is get you ready to get hit in the face music. I loved Rage against the Machine in high school, they got so political though which then worked against them broad spectrum but theyre good, they have a message in their music, and Tom Morello went to Harvardi think, so tha alone seperates him form many musicians right, especially heavier metal ones. So big fan enjoy

Comments

Kuntmissioner: Tom on the list, fo sho; HOF induction post by HOF poster

Load Metric

Steve Howe. "nuff said.
    En boca cerrada, no entran moscas

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Online Veteran View Post
    You guys are leaving out one of the greatest guitar players of all time. This is someone that was a personal acquaintance / friend of mine, and would pull me up on stage whenever I went to his shows. I still have the voice mail he left me when he got lost on his way to Sun Studio, and he called me to ask for directions. I am talking about the King of the Surf Guitar, Dick Dale.

He played LOUD, through an early 60's brownface Showman, with his famous Stratocaster known as "The Beast." While Dick played much smaller venues than all the other musicians mentioned in this thread, his ear bleeding volume and staccato picking technique could not be matched. I play guitar in an instrumental surf band, but I am currently working on becoming a Dick Dale tribute artist. By the way, Dick met Hendrix before he was famous (Jimmy was the bass player for Little Richard). Also, SRV and Dick did a record together in 1987.

Anyway, feel free to disagree with me if you would like. I just wanted to give my personal opinion about a great guitar player. If there are any gear heads in here, feel free to tell / show me what you got!
    Best version of Pipeline I ever heard:

Comments

Kuntmissioner: Agreed; nother timeless classic reinvigorated by SRV
    POKER FAG ALERT! FOR BLOW JOB SEE SLOPPY JOE THE TRANNIE HO.

Load Metric
    kuntmissioner knows

Zach De La Rocha sings it like this...

"another funky radical bomb track started as a sketch in my notebook"

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by mickeycrimm View Post

He played LOUD, through two early 60's brownface Showmans, with his famous Stratocaster known as "The Beast." While Dick played much smaller venues than all the other musicians mentioned in this thread, his ear bleeding volume and staccato picking technique could not be matched. I play guitar in an instrumental surf band, but I am currently working on becoming a Dick Dale tribute artist. By the way, Dick met Hendrix before he was famous (Jimmy was the bass player for Little Richard). Also, SRV and Dick did a record together in 1987.

I just wanted to humbly show off my guitar. Only serious players will appreciate the details and specs. I think I've gotten pretty darn close! It's even strung with .16-.60 gauge strings. For reference, see the thumbnail of the video above. Let's keep this awesome thread going.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Comments

Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe: nice

nunbeater: excellent

Diamond Pro Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe's Avatar
    Load Metric

I just wanted to humbly show off my guitar. Only serious players will appreciate the details and specs. I think I've gotten pretty darn close! It's even strung with .16-.60 gauge strings. For reference, see the thumbnail of the video above. Let's keep this awesome thread going.
    Beautiful guitar but you and Dick Dale are insane. you'd think that would rip the neck right off the body.
    for non guitarists, my top E string has 14.4 pounds of tension tuned to pitch
    this dude's top E: 45.6 pounds

Comments

Online Veteran: Thanks man, I am glad someone on this forum "gets it." In my opinion, the heavy guage does affect the tone!

nunbeater: this guy knows guitars

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe View Post

Beautiful guitar but you and Dick Dale are insane. you'd think that would rip the neck right off the body.
    for non guitarists, my top E string has 14.4 pounds of tension tuned to pitch
    this dude's top E: 45.6 pounds
    Speaking for non guitarists, huh?

Diamond Pro Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post
    Speaking for non guitarists, huh?
    this is Gilmour (Roger Water's guitar player) bending the top E
    imagine pushing 45 pounds with a couple fingers basically
    Name:  R.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  33.6 KB

Comments

Online Veteran:

Gold
    Load Metric
    Eddie Hazel

Covering one of the best Beatles songs

Load Metric
    no love for Derek Trucks?... but honestly, Hendrix is the anointed GOAT... but there some mighty fine players out there in competition Trucks just happens to be my favorite (at the moment)

**nice Eddie Hazel mention"OK2" !

Load Metric

holy fuck I've been playing for years and never knew anyone to play a high e that high
    Even the late great SRV used 12s. Personally I worked my way up to 12s because SRV used 12s but no matter how much I played they hurt so I stepped down to 10s, then I fell in love with Skinny Top Heavy Bottoms as they suited my style of chunky rhythm while being able to rip out some soaring leads.

Billy Gibbons said he used to use heavy strings until BB King talked him out of it, he said shit why you creating more work for yourself? Now he plays fucking 8s

Thread Information