Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 43

Thread: Poker Twitter thinks Doug Polk is being a burger regarding judging women -- do you agree?

  1. #1
    Owner Dan Druff's Avatar
    Reputation
    7982
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    47,269
    Blog Entries
    2
    Load Metric
    10571450

     
    Comments
      
      splitthis: Hate to be on Polks side but he is correct

  2. #2
    Owner Dan Druff's Avatar
    Reputation
    7982
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    47,269
    Blog Entries
    2
    Load Metric
    10571450
    Wil Jaffee did a tough convo... and Doug used it as an opportunity to plug his sponsor.

    https://twitter.com/#!/x/status/1526427779360772097



    Doug the motivational speaker:

    https://twitter.com/#!/x/status/1526424587747180544



    An plus-sized Minnesota girl decides to ask Doug to pay reparations:

    https://twitter.com/#!/x/status/1526634450251038721

     
    Comments
      
      country978: mandi is a great follow on twitter.

  3. #3
    Owner Dan Druff's Avatar
    Reputation
    7982
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    47,269
    Blog Entries
    2
    Load Metric
    10571450
    Doug walking it back a bit, insisting he really meant it health-wise:

    https://twitter.com/#!/x/status/1526439884210286592

  4. #4
    Owner Dan Druff's Avatar
    Reputation
    7982
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    47,269
    Blog Entries
    2
    Load Metric
    10571450
    Some Instagram chick who apparently isn't even in poker decided to jump on this:

    https://twitter.com/#!/x/status/1526631556856844288

  5. #5
    Owner Dan Druff's Avatar
    Reputation
    7982
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    47,269
    Blog Entries
    2
    Load Metric
    10571450
    Lots of angry virtue signaling comments from various randoms and known poker pros which I won't bother posting, but you can look at the thread to get the idea.

    I actually think Doug raises a reasonable point. We don't need to celebrate every body type as beautiful and worthy of admiration. I'm not mad or insulted that GQ doesn't feature overweight 50-year-old dudes on the cover. *giggling*

    The SI cover itself is virtue signaling. As Doug said, it's good that they've gotten away from the anorexic models, but they overcorrected here. And this comes from a guy who actually does like bigger women. I just don't think the world of modeling needs to be body-size inclusive.

    It is true that many overweight people can't help it. Sometimes it's a result of bad genetics. Sometimes it's a result of side-effects to necessary medication. Sometimes it's a naturally large appetite where the choice is to feel constantly hungry or be fat. Sometimes it really is mostly bad habits. Sometimes it's bad habits combined with one or more of these other factors.

    The message to women should be, "Don't stress yourself out if you can't achieve the body type of the models you see in magazines. That's not everyone's type anyway. Find your worth in your accomplishments and your character, not in how you look, which will vastly change with age anyway."

    I don't really buy the health argument, though. Some of Doug's detractors bring up that anorexia is more dangerous than being overweight, and they're right -- especially in the short and medium term. Anorexia kills quickly, whereas obesity is more of a slow trudge to an earlier death. I do agree that we shouldn't glorify unhealthy body types, though -- because why should we?

  6. #6
    Platinum devidee's Avatar
    Reputation
    730
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    3,427
    Load Metric
    10571450
    The average American woman in her 20ís is 5í3 170 pounds.

    We have a land whale epidemic.

     
    Comments
      
      splitthis: Should be 115ish

  7. #7
    Gold
    Reputation
    211
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    1,238
    Load Metric
    10571450
    100 pound 16-26 year old women are not "anorexic." Believe it or not that is actually a honest indicator of potential future reproductive health, which is why humans are hardwired to find these women most attractive. And it isn't particularly subjective at all. Across all societies and time you wont find much variation among heterosexual men what is attractive. The issue is that most women in the modern world are too sedentary and old to achieve this standard. Remember, most of our evolution happened at a time when people (especially childbearing women) didn't live very long, so there was no selective pressure for people to remain attractive past their 20s. Now the average person lives 70 years, and as a society we are grappling with the reality people spend the majority of their lives well past their prime. And then throw in the very real obesity epidemic on top of that.

    I actually dont think putting morbidly obese, unattractive women on the cover of magazines is an actual issue as far as actually changing beauty standards, because those are hardwired into us at such a deep level. No one actually believes a woman shaped like that is attractive or healthy, especially if they are in theirs 20s. Sure, a lot of men will ultimately end up with woman that size. But lets be honest, it isn't because they find that person super attractive. it is because that is the best they could do given their own place in the sexual marketplace. Which is fine.

    As others have pointed out though, a major problem is it probably does enable some people (in this case young women) into making unhealthy lifestyle choices, and be a deterrent to them making better choices that would increase their quality of life.

     
    Comments
      
      splitthis: Sec marketplace lol
      
      Jayjami: Excellent take

  8. #8
    Plutonium sonatine's Avatar
    Reputation
    6877
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    31,227
    Load Metric
    10571450
    said as a fat man; yeah this (so called body positivity) really is the other achilles heel for left wing politics imo.

    dougs big misstep here is his phrasing / tone, not his message.


    but yeah SI has been on the cusp of bankruptcy for a long fucking time. oh and who the fuck cares btw. but they have been using their covers to drum up sales by 'going fringe' (shout out to leyna bloom) and i expect this woman is on the cover less because its some sort of noble representational symbolic shout out but primarily because there really is a market of men who will buy this because they dig fat women.

    not to mention 99.8% of all married male SI readers have wives fatter than this so theres that to consider as well.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

    "America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

  9. #9
    Platinum splitthis's Avatar
    Reputation
    709
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    At the Metroparks
    Posts
    3,772
    Load Metric
    10571450
    It is about health AND looks, sorry obese is both unhealthy and ugly.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

    Ronald Reagan

  10. #10
    Gold
    Reputation
    211
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    1,238
    Load Metric
    10571450
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    yeah this (so called body positivity) really is the other achilles heel for left wing politics imo.
    The Achilles heel of the progressive left is they have a vision of how the world should be; and believe they can will it into being the way they want if they can just gaslight hard enough and long enough and censor everyone that points out reality.

    Body positivity is an example of this. So it criminal justice reform. So is police reform. So is affirmative action and equity movements. Etc. Etc. Etc.

    If you actually read George Orwell it really is prescient for what is going on.

  11. #11
    Canadrunk limitles's Avatar
    Reputation
    1596
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    In Todd's head
    Posts
    15,652
    Load Metric
    10571450
    Most people understand the ramifications of being overweight.
    Saying obesity is "a choice" is greatly oversimplified.

    People engage in all kinds of unhealthy activities which include poker and twitter battles.
    unbounded
    Never Forget



  12. #12
    Diamond BCR's Avatar
    Reputation
    1777
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    6,044
    Load Metric
    10571450
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Lots of angry virtue signaling comments from various randoms and known poker pros which I won't bother posting, but you can look at the thread to get the idea.

    I actually think Doug raises a reasonable point. We don't need to celebrate every body type as beautiful and worthy of admiration. I'm not mad or insulted that GQ doesn't feature overweight 50-year-old dudes on the cover. *giggling*

    The SI cover itself is virtue signaling. As Doug said, it's good that they've gotten away from the anorexic models, but they overcorrected here. And this comes from a guy who actually does like bigger women. I just don't think the world of modeling needs to be body-size inclusive.

    It is true that many overweight people can't help it. Sometimes it's a result of bad genetics. Sometimes it's a result of side-effects to necessary medication. Sometimes it's a naturally large appetite where the choice is to feel constantly hungry or be fat. Sometimes it really is mostly bad habits. Sometimes it's bad habits combined with one or more of these other factors.

    The message to women should be, "Don't stress yourself out if you can't achieve the body type of the models you see in magazines. That's not everyone's type anyway. Find your worth in your accomplishments and your character, not in how you look, which will vastly change with age anyway."

    I don't really buy the health argument, though. Some of Doug's detractors bring up that anorexia is more dangerous than being overweight, and they're right -- especially in the short and medium term. Anorexia kills quickly, whereas obesity is more of a slow trudge to an earlier death. I do agree that we shouldn't glorify unhealthy body types, though -- because why should we?
    1 in 200 women have anorexia.

    32% of American women in their 20s are obese, not simply overweight.

    Obesity is enemy number 1 in all our health care expenses and woes. Anorexia isnít in the top 50

    I donít buy any of those fat excuses. One simply needs to look at any photo from the 1940s and youíll see almost zero obesity. We donít change over a few generations. Itís almost 100% bad lifestyle choices.

  13. #13
    Canadrunk limitles's Avatar
    Reputation
    1596
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    In Todd's head
    Posts
    15,652
    Load Metric
    10571450
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Lots of angry virtue signaling comments from various randoms and known poker pros which I won't bother posting, but you can look at the thread to get the idea.

    I actually think Doug raises a reasonable point. We don't need to celebrate every body type as beautiful and worthy of admiration. I'm not mad or insulted that GQ doesn't feature overweight 50-year-old dudes on the cover. *giggling*

    The SI cover itself is virtue signaling. As Doug said, it's good that they've gotten away from the anorexic models, but they overcorrected here. And this comes from a guy who actually does like bigger women. I just don't think the world of modeling needs to be body-size inclusive.

    It is true that many overweight people can't help it. Sometimes it's a result of bad genetics. Sometimes it's a result of side-effects to necessary medication. Sometimes it's a naturally large appetite where the choice is to feel constantly hungry or be fat. Sometimes it really is mostly bad habits. Sometimes it's bad habits combined with one or more of these other factors.

    The message to women should be, "Don't stress yourself out if you can't achieve the body type of the models you see in magazines. That's not everyone's type anyway. Find your worth in your accomplishments and your character, not in how you look, which will vastly change with age anyway."

    I don't really buy the health argument, though. Some of Doug's detractors bring up that anorexia is more dangerous than being overweight, and they're right -- especially in the short and medium term. Anorexia kills quickly, whereas obesity is more of a slow trudge to an earlier death. I do agree that we shouldn't glorify unhealthy body types, though -- because why should we?
    1 in 200 women have anorexia.

    32% of American women in their 20s are obese, not simply overweight.

    Obesity is enemy number 1 in all our health care expenses and woes. Anorexia isnít in the top 50

    I donít buy any of those fat excuses. One simply needs to look at any photo from the 1940s and youíll see almost zero obesity. We donít change over a few generations. Itís almost 100% bad lifestyle choices.
    Should obesity be reclassified as a symptom of a mental disorder?

    Should addictions be included as a mental disorder?

    If the answer is no then stay in your own lane.
    unbounded
    Never Forget



  14. #14
    Diamond Sloppy Joe's Avatar
    Reputation
    851
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,100
    Load Metric
    10571450
    Surprised they didn't go trans but looks like they checked off that box last year.

    Normalizing obesity is a disgrace for a magazine that indirectly celebrates fitness and athletic accomplishment. Fortunately most of the dopes that get physical magazines can waddle to their neighborhood pool and see these body types everywhere.

    There's subtypes of porn for folks like Druff who like 'em beefy, but zero chance any research indicated that what was wanted on the cover was a porker.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

  15. #15
    Silver
    Reputation
    149
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    649
    Load Metric
    10571450
    There is no way to come off good when you are insulting someone's looks, even if you are right.

    Beyond that, it feels like this is the 5th time the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issue has done this, wasn't last year's cover a tranny?

    People need to stop falling for it, and resist the urge to comment on the same outrage based story EVERYONE else is talking about.

    She's thick, get over it. Nobody over the age of 35 reads or cares about Sports Illustrated anyway.

    The funniest part to me is Shaun Deeb, the guy who wore a dress and played in the ladies even 10+ years ago, and took shit for it. My how far we have come since then, now he would be celebrated if he did it right.

     
    Comments
      
      sonatine: this really is the correct take

  16. #16
    Platinum FRANKRIZZO's Avatar
    Reputation
    337
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    2,596
    Load Metric
    10571450
    Im really behind the times never heard of burger analogy.

  17. #17
    Gold tommyt's Avatar
    Reputation
    154
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,136
    Load Metric
    10571450
    Oh look itís Doug Polk being a huge faggot on Twitter about a thick girl in a bathing suit. Doug is about 2/5ths a retard that makes Poker analysis YouTube videos, and most of said videos anyone thatís read a poker book or played the game already knows what heís going to spout out his mouth.

    Iím not into thick or chubby girls but to be honest I would smash that chick in a heart beat.

    Doug can eat a double decker shit sandwich.

  18. #18
    Platinum
    Reputation
    305
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,502
    Load Metric
    10571450
    Disagree, with all the makeup etc, if that is the best that woman looksÖwoof.

    SI is beyond ridiculous, this years firstsÖ

    1. First fat Asian on cover
    2. First indigenous woman
    3. First c-section scar

    They seem to be running out of things to tout

  19. #19
    Diamond dwai's Avatar
    Reputation
    1203
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    6,710
    Load Metric
    10571450
    DOG POK IS GOD CAUSE HE KNEW WHAT HE WAS DOING WITH THIS TWEET, HE'S GETTING THE ATTENTION HE DESPERATELY CRAVES(PROBABLY SRSLY SRS IDEA)

     
    Comments
      
      garrett: lol

  20. #20
    Platinum devidee's Avatar
    Reputation
    730
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    3,427
    Load Metric
    10571450
    Name:  27B0A801-5B57-43B3-BC3C-75637925F0A7.jpeg
Views: 204
Size:  43.9 KB

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 51
    Last Post: 05-22-2022, 04:44 AM
  2. Doug Polk's company Upswing Poker allegdly scammed JNandez for $100k
    By Matt The Rat in forum Scams, Scandals, and Shadiness
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-20-2018, 01:35 AM
  3. Replies: 65
    Last Post: 06-05-2018, 12:27 PM
  4. Doug Polk being Doug Polk
    By PuppyMonkeyBaby in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 08-01-2017, 04:38 AM
  5. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-10-2016, 10:55 AM