Thread: Poker Twitter thinks Doug Polk is being a burger regarding judging women -- do you agree?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Comments

splitthis: Hate to be on Polks side but he is correct

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Wil Jaffee did a tough convo... and Doug used it as an opportunity to plug his sponsor.

https://twitter.com/DougPolkVids/status/1526427779360772097

Doug the motivational speaker:

https://twitter.com/DougPolkVids/status/1526424587747180544

An plus-sized Minnesota girl decides to ask Doug to pay reparations:

https://twitter.com/pkrprncss/status/1526634450251038721

Comments

country978: mandi is a great follow on twitter.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Doug walking it back a bit, insisting he really meant it health-wise:

https://twitter.com/DougPolkVids/status/1526439884210286592

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Lots of angry virtue signaling comments from various randoms and known poker pros which I won't bother posting, but you can look at the thread to get the idea.

I actually think Doug raises a reasonable point. We don't need to celebrate every body type as beautiful and worthy of admiration. I'm not mad or insulted that GQ doesn't feature overweight 50-year-old dudes on the cover. *giggling*

The SI cover itself is virtue signaling. As Doug said, it's good that they've gotten away from the anorexic models, but they overcorrected here. And this comes from a guy who actually does like bigger women. I just don't think the world of modeling needs to be body-size inclusive.

It is true that many overweight people can't help it. Sometimes it's a result of bad genetics. Sometimes it's a result of side-effects to necessary medication. Sometimes it's a naturally large appetite where the choice is to feel constantly hungry or be fat. Sometimes it really is mostly bad habits. Sometimes it's bad habits combined with one or more of these other factors.

The message to women should be, "Don't stress yourself out if you can't achieve the body type of the models you see in magazines. That's not everyone's type anyway. Find your worth in your accomplishments and your character, not in how you look, which will vastly change with age anyway."

I don't really buy the health argument, though. Some of Doug's detractors bring up that anorexia is more dangerous than being overweight, and they're right -- especially in the short and medium term. Anorexia kills quickly, whereas obesity is more of a slow trudge to an earlier death. I do agree that we shouldn't glorify unhealthy body types, though -- because why should we?

Load Metric
    The average American woman in her 20’s is 5’3 170 pounds.

We have a land whale epidemic.

Comments

splitthis: Should be 115ish

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Lots of angry virtue signaling comments from various randoms and known poker pros which I won't bother posting, but you can look at the thread to get the idea.

I actually think Doug raises a reasonable point. We don't need to celebrate every body type as beautiful and worthy of admiration. I'm not mad or insulted that GQ doesn't feature overweight 50-year-old dudes on the cover. *giggling*

The SI cover itself is virtue signaling. As Doug said, it's good that they've gotten away from the anorexic models, but they overcorrected here. And this comes from a guy who actually does like bigger women. I just don't think the world of modeling needs to be body-size inclusive.

It is true that many overweight people can't help it. Sometimes it's a result of bad genetics. Sometimes it's a result of side-effects to necessary medication. Sometimes it's a naturally large appetite where the choice is to feel constantly hungry or be fat. Sometimes it really is mostly bad habits. Sometimes it's bad habits combined with one or more of these other factors.

The message to women should be, "Don't stress yourself out if you can't achieve the body type of the models you see in magazines. That's not everyone's type anyway. Find your worth in your accomplishments and your character, not in how you look, which will vastly change with age anyway."

I don't really buy the health argument, though. Some of Doug's detractors bring up that anorexia is more dangerous than being overweight, and they're right -- especially in the short and medium term. Anorexia kills quickly, whereas obesity is more of a slow trudge to an earlier death. I do agree that we shouldn't glorify unhealthy body types, though -- because why should we?
    1 in 200 women have anorexia.

32% of American women in their 20s are obese, not simply overweight.

Obesity is enemy number 1 in all our health care expenses and woes. Anorexia isn’t in the top 50

I don’t buy any of those fat excuses. One simply needs to look at any photo from the 1940s and you’ll see almost zero obesity. We don’t change over a few generations. It’s almost 100% bad lifestyle choices.

Thread Information