View Poll Results: What did the person at the Dodgers hotline do for me?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nothing -- they told me to leave the house earlier next time

6 27.27%
  • They brought me two hoodies they had in the back

6 27.27%
  • They brought me one hoody and another promotional item left over from the past

8 36.36%
  • They brought me 4 hoodies to make up for previous disappointment

1 4.55%
  • They moved us up to great dugout seats due to the repeated inconvenience

0 0%
  • They ejected us from the stadium for hassling them with this dumb phone call

0 0%
  • Don't know / don't care

1 4.55%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JEW Make the Call: Dodgers customer service line edition

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

JEW Make the Call: Dodgers customer service line edition

This is a results question, rather than a "what do I deserve" question.

I took Ben to a Dodgers game last night. They have had promotions all week. Last night's promotion was Dodgers hooded sweatshirt night. The night before was Will Smith (the catcher, not the Oscars slapper) bobblehead night.

I knew the bobblehead night would be super popular/expensive, but I didn't expect hoodie night to be quite as bad.

The Dodgers had won 7 games in a row, and this inspired a sudden wave of people purchasing tickets. This also caused a spike in price, and my usual trick of waiting until game day didn't work, regarding getting the best deal. I saw this spike happen and quickly bought two (very good) seats for $136 each, which was about $20 more than I would have paid for even better seats at the low point the day before. I expected them to go for about $85 each, had this spike not happened.

Anyway, I thought I left enough time to get to the stadium in time before the hoodies ran out. For some reason, they usually carry 40,000 of these promotional items, despite the stadium having a 56,000 capacity, and despite these nights often selling out. I thought we easily were going to make it, as I was one mile from the stadium at 6:35, which was a full 35 minutes before game time.

Nope! Horrendous traffic getting into the stadium made it that we didn't get parked until 7:15 (5 minutes after game time), and didn't get into the stadium gate until about 7:25. The hoodies had just ran out -- I saw other guests standing around near the entrance holding them. Sad!

This pissed me off, because it was the 3rd consecutive time I failed to get a promotional item, due to in-stadium traffic.

I called the fan services hotline from my seat, not expecting much. I told them the truth -- that it's been 3 consecutive times I didn't get the promotional item, and that stadium-related traffic caused it. I stated that it's frustrating they only carry 40,000 items on days where well over 50,000 fans are expected, and that these games are always more expensive because of the item which I don't end up getting anyway.

What ended up being the result of that phone call?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Three side notes:

- I used to be able to breeze into Dodger Stadium and avoid the traffic. I manually broke out online maps and figured out "secret" routes into the stadium -- ones which don't involve major streets going in. They worked like a charm for years, but unfortunately the Waze app and similar apps learned them, and now everyone uses those same routes. There's no more "secret" route in which can avoid traffic. Sad!

- The Dodgers lost 3-1, only getting 2 hits all game, one being an infield single. The run scored on a groundout after a wild pitch, so even that wasn't particularly exciting. I've been going to Dodger Stadium since 1976 (even when I lived in Vegas), and I had never seen a game where the Dodgers got 2 hits or fewer.

- This was Kenley Jansen's first game ever AGAINST the Dodgers. I broke out my phone to record the expected booing and/or wild cheering of him, but neither occurred. I recorded light cheering and no booing. However, someone else in a small Dodgers Facebook group I'm in was also at the game, and complained about a ton of booing. She was in a different part of the stadium, but I'm surprised we had such different perceptions. I just re-watched the video, and indeed I can't hear a single boo. Jansen pitched very well and got the save.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Don’t know how it works at Dodger stadium but whenever I’m in the company suite at Toyota Center, if there is a giveaway the suite gets a stack of them, so there are usually plenty of leftovers.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Are you waiting to leave for game until you secure tickets ? If so that's mistake number 1. The thought of you waiting until last minute all
    the time to save a few bucks vs going early to let Ben enjoy some batting practice or trying to get autographs makes me sad

Spend the $$$ get there early ... avoid the long lines and enjoy a Dodger Dog or 4 while your son takes in bp and does kids stuff.

So no, I vote you deserve nothing and what you should have done instead of complaining is just thrown a 20 at someone and there's your hoody.

Comments

jsearles22: Like 3 valid points in one post. Forum needs more of this

Load Metric
    Since it's results based, I'm guessing they just gave it to you, probably costing staffers free allocated stuff because some entitled jackass shows up late wanting some hoody stamped with advertisements.

Great use of time out with your son.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Ballhawknet View Post
    Are you waiting to leave for game until you secure tickets ? If so that's mistake number 1. The thought of you waiting until last minute all
    the time to save a few bucks vs going early to let Ben enjoy some batting practice or trying to get autographs makes me sad

Spend the $$$ get there early ... avoid the long lines and enjoy a Dodger Dog or 4 while your son takes in bp and does kids stuff.

So no, I vote you deserve nothing and what you should have done instead of complaining is just thrown a 20 at someone and there's your hoody.
    I usually buy tickets about 6 hours before game time, as that's when the best deals are to be had. This game I bought the night before because it was unexpectedly popular (see OP), and I noticed that inventory of "good" seats was running unusually low just as the game on the day before was ending. So I purchased the seats right then, a full day before the game.

As someone who goes to a lot of games yourself, clearly you know the huge variance on Stubhub regarding prices, where often you can get great seats for the same price everyone else paid for mediocre/bad seats. So it's not just a matter of saving a few bucks. With that said, I rarely buy as I'm leaving for the game, because that's not the optimal time to do so in most cases.

I don't live close to Dodger Stadium, so it's a trek to get over there, and it runs right into rush hour traffic. If I were to leave earlier, it would be even worse, as I'd run into LA between 5 and 6. That's the one sucky thing about going to Dodgers games -- the drive there. I can get out of the stadium quickly (without leaving the game early), so going home is typically a breeze.

I actually did throw a 20 at people to get the other promo items when they ran out, and it worked. However, I was tired of having to do this, especially because Dodger Stadium is notoriously bad regarding the way they organize traffic and parking. I was less than a mile from the stadium with 35 minutes to go before first pitch, and still ended up in there late.

This was the first time I ever called the Dodger fan service hotline, and decided I'd take a shot, because this has happened so many times in a row. Honestly their biggest fail is only stocking 40,000 items when they know there's a high chance 50,000+ people will be showing up to claim them. Why cheap out like that?

I wasn't planning to put a lot of time or effort into the phone call. If it failed, I was going to give up.

I'll wait a little before posting what ended up happening.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Name:  3F80CB79-99DA-4764-909D-B1A64C7694D1.gif
Views: 356
Size:  1.26 MB

Silver
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff
    This was the first time I ever called the Dodger fan service hotline, and decided I'd take a shot, because this has happened so many times in a row. Honestly their biggest fail is only stocking 40,000 items when they know there's a high chance 50,000+ people will be showing up to claim them. Why cheap out like that?

I wasn't planning to put a lot of time or effort into the phone call. If it failed, I was going to give up.

Are you seriously asking this question? It’s marketing 101. Create scarcity to increase demand. Teams have been doing it forever at live sporting events. “First 10K fans etc. get promo item.” And by encouraging people to get there earlier they spend more money in the park on alcohol, food etc. It’s just good business.

Load Metric
    "Get there earlier."
    "But the inconvenience!"

Load Metric
    Reminds me of good old CET giveaways where they would hood wink you into gamble. First it was, swipe any kiosk and claim your prize! Then it became earn XX amount of tier points and then swipe to redeem your prize.

Now it’s more like come in and pick a lesser prize because we save the good ones for the Whales donking off thousands at the slots and have to get their own special time to claim these better prizes! Or take a token amount of freeplay or rewards credit so you can’t complain about not getting equal value!

Load Metric
    well, given that the Dodgers owned by Gugenheims (no longer O'Mallys or McCorts) they'd say Tough Luck, get there sooner--after all, they want a person your size in the place for a long time paying stadium food & beverage prices.
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheesfaced View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff

Are you seriously asking this question? It’s marketing 101. Create scarcity to increase demand. Teams have been doing it forever at live sporting events. “First 10K fans etc. get promo item.” And by encouraging people to get there earlier they spend more money in the park on alcohol, food etc. It’s just good business.

The problem is that the stadium has had a longstanding traffic issue, as the roads/gates into the stadium weren't designed well, and it hasn't been improved in the 60 years the stadium has been standing.

Combine that with LA's notorious rush hour traffic issues, and it becomes less a matter of people getting there a bit early and more of a matter of whoever either lives/works close to the stadium, or luckboxes into the gate with the least traffic.

I left over 2 hours before game time and still ended up there late, and missing the promo. The previous time I left 2.5 hours before, and again barely missed the promo. If I left even earlier, again it wouldn't do me a lot of good because the traffic on the way to the stadium is worse at that time (rush hour).

Rather than dealing with 20-25% of the patrons getting stiffed on the promo item, they should just carry enough of them in the first place.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

The problem is that the stadium has had a longstanding traffic issue, as the roads/gates into the stadium weren't designed well, and it hasn't been improved in the 60 years the stadium has been standing.

Combine that with LA's notorious rush hour traffic issues, and it becomes less a matter of people getting there a bit early and more of a matter of whoever either lives/works close to the stadium, or luckboxes into the gate with the least traffic.

I left over 2 hours before game time and still ended up there late, and missing the promo. The previous time I left 2.5 hours before, and again barely missed the promo. If I left even earlier, again it wouldn't do me a lot of good because the traffic on the way to the stadium is worse at that time (rush hour).

Rather than dealing with 20-25% of the patrons getting stiffed on the promo item, they should just carry enough of them in the first place.
    They don't have to deal 20-25% of the crowd hassling them because they feel entitled to a free XL hoodie, because reasonable adults understand the concept of a promotion and don't call up fan relations crying about traffic; instead choosing to sit down and enjoy the atmosphere, eating one hot dog as opposed to multiple, etc.

Do you understand?

Comments

jsearles22: No, no he does not
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    You should have went yesterday. We were in the sun but it was in the mid-60's with a nice cool breeze, and we got there nice and early to watch BP. Another solid win for the Blue Crew.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by David USF View Post
    You should have went yesterday. We were in the sun but it was in the mid-60's with a nice cool breeze, and we got there nice and early to watch BP. Another solid win for the Blue Crew.
    I almost went Wednesday instead. Was a much better game, and Dodgers won. And it wasn't during rush hour. I just hate day games, but as you said, it was cool.

Oh well. So far I've seen the Dodgers' only home loss.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post

They don't have to deal 20-25% of the crowd hassling them because they feel entitled to a free XL hoodie, because reasonable adults understand the concept of a promotion and don't call up fan relations crying about traffic; instead choosing to sit down and enjoy the atmosphere, eating one hot dog as opposed to multiple, etc.

Do you understand?
    Lol "reasonable adults". All they have to do is carry 20% more items and this doesn't happen. They make bank every game. There's no reason for this.

Every game where people show up and don't get the item, I hear people grumbling about it, both at entry and while in their seats at the beginning of the game. I never even thought of calling about this, and just quietly was frustrated about it every other time. This time I took a 5 minute shot at making it right.

People pay extra for these promo games and then fail to get the item because the gate they drive into is mismanaged, and the Dodgers cheap out on inventory.

Do you even go to sporting events, bro?

Load Metric

Do you understand?
    Lol "reasonable adults". All they have to do is carry 20% more items and this doesn't happen. They make bank every game. There's no reason for this.

Every game where people show up and don't get the item, I hear people grumbling about it, both at entry and while in their seats at the beginning of the game. I never even thought of calling about this, and just quietly was frustrated about it every other time. This time I took a 5 minute shot at making it right.

People pay extra for these promo games and then fail to get the item because the gate they drive into is mismanaged, and the Dodgers cheap out on inventory.

LOL paying extra for a promo game. No real person looks at a schedule and highlights which game hands out cheap free sweatshirts or bottomless Pepsi.

It's a bonus for you to get some 7-11 stamped sweatshirt?

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Gotta think the Braves will put extra butts in the seats.

Silver
    Load Metric

Do you understand?

Apple makes bank not sure why they don’t just give everyone an extra free iPhone charger with a phone purchase.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Apple makes bank not sure why they don’t just give everyone an extra free iPhone charger with a phone purchase.
    Wrong analogy.

It's like saying that Apple puts a charger in 80% of their phones for people who order slightly earlier than others, even if some customers can't order because their website can't handle all the orders at once.

When you ask, "Why not just put a charger with 100% of phones?", Sloppy Soyboy shows up and tells you that you're entitled.

Thread Information