Thread: Solve For Why covers Life & Death of Brandi Hawbaker

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric

Solve For Why covers Life & Death of Brandi Hawbaker

Extensive discussion of Druff, Brandon and the whole saga. Druff's name is butchered by multiple hosts throughout LOL.

Last edited by Call_Station; 03-24-2022 at 09:34 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Yeah, I'm in the process of watching this. Probably about 2/3 of the way through. Berkey and his buddies have a some details wrong (and also mixed up the timeline somewhat), but I guess that's to be expected of a story from the 2000s, of which none were really following closely back then.

Funny how I was "Whiteless", "Whittles", "Witless", and "Dandruff". I guess at least the Dandruff one they pronounced correctly.

In case you're wondering, while myself and Brandon are mentioned several times in the video, none of it is negative (nor should it be). I am wondering why Berkey or Soto didn't contact me in advance about this, as I could have clarified some of the stuff they had wrong. Instead, they just quoted a lot of stuff I said/wrote over the years. A PFA post of mine was linked in the description, though.

I had very little direct interaction with Brandi. I met her once in October 2007, while in Atlantic City. She wasn't with Brandon at this point. She told me that some guy brought her to AC, and had offered to take her to the Pokerstars PCA in January 2008, but ditched her when she wouldn't have sex with him. (This wasn't anyone notable, and he didn't figure into the situation with Sklansky later on.)

She was upset that she was stranded in AC without a plane ticket home, and apparently couldn't afford one at the time. She said she was surprised the guy did this to her, as "we were always just friends, with no sexual element to it", and then he dropped it on her while in AC and ditched her when she said no. I then tried to explain to her that a high percentage of dudes in poker who abruptly befriend her are looking for sex and/or a relationship, and that this sort of thing will repeatedly happen if they're offering free things to her for seemingly nothing in return. She said she understood, and that she felt stupid for not realizing that before. I tried to lighten the mood by joking, "Tell the guy that Dan Druff wants to go to the PCA, and is open to taking your place, if he's interested." She laughed, and shortly after that, I left the bar or wherever it was that we ran into her. My then-girlfriend Miri was with me at the time, and also tried to do some woman-to-woman consoling to Brandi over the situation. I don't know how she ended up getting home from AC, but she did.

She was briefly on NWP (mainly to expose David), but I didn't get involved in all of that. That was Micon's thing (though I supported what Micon was doing, involving that situation.)

Anyway, overall a very sad story. Brandi was by no means perfect, but boy David was a huge piece of shit here, and those e-mails were shocking even in 2008, let alone 2022.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    I found it odd that Brandon is referenced as this mysterious figure with no last name as opposed to a fairly well-known guy in the Vegas community whose life was an open book online and on-air for years.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_Station View Post
    I found it odd that Brandon is referenced as this mysterious figure with no last name as opposed to a fairly well-known guy in the Vegas community whose life was an open book online and on-air for years.
    That was also really weird. How could nobody in that studio know who he is?

Silver
    Load Metric
    I had forgotten how poorly Sklansky came off. What a loser.

His books Getting The Best of It and others were instrumental in my career as a gambler and many other advantage gamblers I knew in the late 90s.

Never meet your heroes I guess.

Poker Info Master
    Load Metric
    Given no one there knew how to pronounce your name, I'm going to assume the Only Friends team are not frequent listeners to PFA Radio.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevmath View Post
    Given no one there knew how to pronounce your name, I'm going to assume the Only Friends team are not frequent listeners to PFA Radio.
    They didn't know how to pronounce my name, and they didn't know who Brandon was!

In the meantime, the chat room was trying to help them on both accounts, but none of them were reading it, apparently.

Thread Information