Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: *** OFFICIAL *** Coming Food Riots & Civil Unrest

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    CONSUMERS RALLY FOR MEAT BOYCOTT
    The New York Times
    March 30, 1973

The nationwide movement to boycott meat next week to protest high food prices gained momentum yesterday as cornmunity and women's groups began holding rallies and handing out leaflets to mobilize housewives' support.

One of the first rallies in the metropolitan area was held last night at Public School 196 in Forest Hills, Queens. Others are to be held in the city and in its suburbs over the weekend in preparation for Sunday when the weeklong boycott begins, and Monday, when widespread picketing of supermarkets is scheduled to start.

The organizers of the rallies and campaigns said before President Nixon last night pledged a ceiling on meat prices that they intended to stage the boycott regardless of any action Mr. Nixon took. They are determined, they said, to lower food prices as a prelude to lowering other prices, and they said only organized consumer action could bring this about.
    Name:  
Views: 
Size:
    oh i remember that meat boycott---as i recall, many housewives tried shifting to fish, non-meat dishes or less expensive cuts of meat, and a lot of that new food wound up uneaten in the trash because family members hated the taste of the new stuff

anyway, that meat boycott was shortly preceded by the Great Grain Robbery. The USSR had a major harvest failure in 1972 and was able to keep that a secret. So the USSR bought grain in 1973 at prices that presumed a normal harvest --they covered their shortage. When the news got out about the actual supply available food prices around the world rose...in 1973 prices around the world were up 30% over 1972 (wheat is a feed for livestock). The strange part was US citizens had paid farm subsidies to farmers to produce wheat that wound up being sold at below fair market prices to the USSR.

Shortly after this Grain Robbery, the US launched spy satellites that allowed for monitoring of USSR farm production. If the satellites had been available a few months earlier, a better price for US grain sellers would have been gotten...but I don't think that better sales price would have been passed through to American consumers--nope, it would have gone to grain brokers who then would have given a cut to politicians (because that's the American Way).
    Last edited by GrenadaRoger; 03-17-2022 at 05:12 PM.
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    for all the shit about supply chain issues and grocery store shortages, at no point was I ever out of any single ingredient, or appropriate substitute, for any food recipe in my entire adult life, never mind the pandemic.

Closest this ever came to be was over cream cheese, last year or so. So I buttered my bagel. (Cafe Fresh Bagels, Dedham and Needham. Good shit.)
    You got lucky, then. Where I live, shelves were reallllllllly bare in early 2020.

Getting any paper products -- such as toilet paper or paper towels -- was extremely tough.

Canned goods were getting snapped up really quickly, and I had to put out some major effort (like finding out when the grocery store got deliveries and showing up at 6am when they open) to get them.

Frozen vegetables? Fugheddaboutit. Empty freezers.

Today it's not nearly as bad, but there are items I used to easily find every single day of the year which have been out for months.
    Same thing in ny the costco was always low on toilet tissue. Other items as well as toiletries where a limited number because peops where hoarding. Now stores are fool but feel the inflation in gas and food. Dog still eating his raw Turkey. He is a professional beggar.

Load Metric
    Name:  87E43EF6-B9E5-4D2C-A351-69D7C7FCCA7D.png
Views: 337
Size:  620.7 KB

Load Metric
    Fertilizer stocks up about 43% since Feb. 24.

Load Metric
    So assuming we are no longer the world’s currency and the dollar drops purchasing imported goods (everything you buy from Amazon, for instance) will cost more.

Oil will cost more. Let’s skip that for the moment.

However, manufacturing might actually reappear on our mainland. Ask your parents about this. See if they remember. There might be the reemergence of a middle class. This will not happen quickly. We are doing it for our children. There will be a period of tremendous pain. Decades of fiscal bad behavior and deficits to unwind. The 70’s thru early 80’s must have felt like an eternity.

The Department of Defense has wanted this. The return of manufacturing to the US. Waiting for critical parts from your enemy (China) was less than an ideal scenario.

Load Metric
    The fall of the dollar as the world wide currency cause… well countries are being forced to by the US. Amazing times.
    English, motherfucker, do you speak it?
    -Samuel L Jackson in Pulp Fiction

Perhaps, Biden and the D.O.D. want the end of the dollar as the world currency.

There, I said it. That tight enough, wow?

Absolutely nobody in this country wants the end of the current iteration that is the US Dollar as the world currency, or they shouldn’t unless they are absolutely retarded.

What kills me are these millennials that think Because they managed to stack 2 Bitcoin or a few Oz of gold that in a few years they will be the wealthiest people in the world / and thus they sit there and laugh at “boomer finance” like the rest of us don’t know what we are doing and are praying for the great reset. If the USD falls there will be nothing left to the world economy and the entire world will be unspeakably different in a completely horrific way.

What made Covid such a unique experience is nobody in the western world under the age of 90 had experienced a pandemic before. Similarly nobody in the western world understands the ramifications of the collapse of the USD. You can’t explain it to someone and they wouldn’t believe you because they can’t relate.

We are a long way off from a collapse of the USD and I have little doubts that the masters of the world are working on a eventual replacement. That said I think it’s fairly obvious the process is starting to unwind and the dominos are starting to fall. Let’s just hope the process takes decades and not weeks.

Comments

devidee: Long way lulz

Load Metric
    Name:  A27660E2-54FA-4717-85B4-1CFA7D1F44C5.jpeg
Views: 226
Size:  93.9 KB

Comments

Sanlmar: ounce of silver for your thoughts

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Just came back from the supermarket. Prices are shockingly high on most things. I'm barely old enough to remember the inflation of the late '70s and early '80s, even though I wasn't paying for anything besides candy bars and slurpees back then. This is much worse. I'm seeing items which were $3.50 in 2019 selling for $7 now. Some of this just rocketed up in the past 2 months.

I think it's only going to get worse. Biden done fucked up big time.

In April 2021, the message should have been, "Okay, whoever wants to protect themselves can get the vaccine for free, and whoever doesn't can take the risk. But no more free money for anyone. Get back to work."

Now we are seeing the consequences.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post

English, motherfucker, do you speak it?
    -Samuel L Jackson in Pulp Fiction

Perhaps, Biden and the D.O.D. want the end of the dollar as the world currency.

There, I said it. That tight enough, wow?

Absolutely nobody in this country wants the end of the current iteration that is the US Dollar as the world currency, or they shouldn’t unless they are absolutely retarded.

What kills me are these millennials that think Because they managed to stack 2 Bitcoin or a few Oz of gold that in a few years they will be the wealthiest people in the world / and thus they sit there and laugh at “boomer finance” like the rest of us don’t know what we are doing and are praying for the great reset. If the USD falls there will be nothing left to the world economy and the entire world will be unspeakably different in a completely horrific way.

What made Covid such a unique experience is nobody in the western world under the age of 90 had experienced a pandemic before. Similarly nobody in the western world understands the ramifications of the collapse of the USD. You can’t explain it to someone and they wouldn’t believe you because they can’t relate.

We are a long way off from a collapse of the USD and I have little doubts that the masters of the world are working on a eventual replacement. That said I think it’s fairly obvious the process is starting to unwind and the dominos are starting to fall. Let’s just hope the process takes decades and not weeks.
    The USD as the world currency (1944) and gold backed vs petro dollar (1973) are all fairly recent developments. One of the errors in thinking of someone your age is that the current iteration of the dollar has always been so. Druff can’t remember inflation and knows little of 1973.

There is no reason to simply assume we are “a long way off”. The world economy will not collapse. It will just be different. Especially for us.

Just for fun, cruise through some podcast or YouTube about the dollar in the 1800’s. Things have transformed mightily and frequently over the years. It gives you historical perspective and a new sense of time as it applies to the dollar.

Additional fun. You need to brush up against the Japanese Yen and their attempt to perform yield control. The Yen is an absolute wreck.

There is a lot happening and as with all things in our modern world they are happening quickly. Ukraine and Biden were catalysts.

The Central Bank Digital Currency is right around the corner too. Biden's nominee for bank regulator and her white paper laid out the future as desired by our current leaders. It’s coming. The subsequent role of commercial banks is something that might interest you especially. Read the white paper or have someone interpret it for you. The masters of the universe subscribed to the white paper’s ideas. The woman was just the vessel. If she wasn’t educated in Russia we’d be having a fascinating discussion about digital currencies. We’d be well on our way.
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 04-24-2022 at 09:51 PM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Just came back from the supermarket. Prices are shockingly high on most things. I'm barely old enough to remember the inflation of the late '70s and early '80s, even though I wasn't paying for anything besides candy bars and slurpees back then. This is much worse. I'm seeing items which were $3.50 in 2019 selling for $7 now. Some of this just rocketed up in the past 2 months.

I think it's only going to get worse. Biden done fucked up big time.

In April 2021, the message should have been, "Okay, whoever wants to protect themselves can get the vaccine for free, and whoever doesn't can take the risk. But no more free money for anyone. Get back to work."

Now we are seeing the consequences.
    Trump instituted the first US iteration of universal basic income. Monetary expansion was well in the works before Biden.

Biden and his spending and his diplomatic failure in Ukraine certainly hasn’t helped anyone.

I am heartened to learn this week that the US military is committed to going green. Aircraft carriers and jets use a lot of fuel. Electric tanks fill me with so much optimism. Biden & the neocons are earth friendly now. What a freak show.
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 04-24-2022 at 09:41 PM.

Load Metric

The USD as the world currency (1944) and gold backed vs petro dollar (1973) are all fairly recent developments. One of the errors in thinking of someone your age is that the current iteration of the dollar has always been so. Druff can’t remember inflation and knows little of 1973.

There is no reason to simply assume we are “a long way off”. The world economy will not collapse. It will just be different. Especially for us.

Just for fun, cruise through some podcast or YouTube about the dollar in the 1800’s. Things have transformed mightily and frequently over the years. It gives you historical perspective and a new sense of time as it applies to the dollar.

Additional fun. You need to brush up against the Japanese Yen and their attempt to perform yield control. The Yen is an absolute wreck.

There is a lot happening and as with all things in our modern world they are happening quickly. Ukraine and Biden were catalysts.

The Central Bank Digital Currency is right around the corner too. Biden's nominee for bank regulator and her white paper laid out the future as desired by our current leaders. It’s coming. The subsequent role of commercial banks is something that might interest you especially. Read the white paper or have someone interpret it for you. The masters of the universe subscribed to the white paper’s ideas. The woman was just the vessel. If she wasn’t educated in Russia we’d be having a fascinating discussion about digital currencies. We’d be well on our way.

I’m fairly well read on all topics San. I’ll be at the Mt Washington this summer and I’m not just there to visit the Bretton Woods IMF room.

I work for a Fortune 500 bank….. we are nowhere near ready for CbDC I can assure you. That’s not to say it isn’t coming. That’s Actually the main reason why I think we are a ways off….. the masters know we aren’t ready.

I’m hopeful the next phase of whatever “the dollar” is has a orderly transition and this I hope it’s a ways off. If the petro dollar folds it’s going to be cats and dogs playing in the street for a long while.

The Yen was doomed going back to 1987, it was always just the matter of time. Same can be said for the USD back to 2008.

Load Metric
    Of all places Bretton Woods is one of our go to places to ski.

My son got separated from us when he was 8 or something. Took the wrong lift to get back and ended up on another mountain. Miraculous he found us the same day. He ain’t been right since.

Name:  53F15088-C112-465C-8CB6-3B82CE9D9643.jpeg
Views: 217
Size:  4.07 MB

Wife is in Ft Meyers atm. Hope she gets lost

Load Metric
    We are a long way off from a collapse …..
    Name:  2DE2179B-1508-48C6-91F1-75441A514E86.jpeg
Views: 141
Size:  164.7 KB

Load Metric
    Just to put a finer point on the digital dollar discussion for those following .

Biden tasked the Department of the Treasury with determining whether it would be feasible to issue a US-backed central banking digital currency (CBDC) similar to ones that China, Sweden, the EU and other governments are working on.

The Federal Reserve began its own four-month investigation into the possibility of a "digital dollar" back in January.

The Treasury and the Federal Reserve are not the same.

Obviously, Biden would prefer the Treasury’s “dollar” as he would not need to “borrow” dollars from the Fed.

“Weeks when decades happen”

Still can’t fathom you’re accelerating the payoff of your mortgage despite working for a bank and being well read.

There is “good” debt and “bad” debt. 3% debt for the longest duration possible is “good” debt. You are essentially shorting the dollar and I shouldn’t have to explain how obvious a winner that is. Just go to the supermarket.

Load Metric
    Finally, you have a battle between Treasury Secretary Yellen together with the Biden, Obama, ECB crowd vs Jerome Powell and the Fed.

That’ll buy you some time.

This is presently more than some kind of whimsical philosophical discussion. It’s on son. The how is being discussed more than the when

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellafriend View Post
    Forget the supply side issues driving up food costs if your not into the whole sanctions deal.

Your dollar is simply gonna be worth less.

We can talk about China buying oil in yuan not dollars from the Saudis. The fall of the dollar as the world wide currency cause… well countries are being forced to by the US. Amazing times.

Name:  
Views: 
Size:

Apropos of your observation, My gift to you San.

San,

part deux:

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitic...t-happens-next

Five Warning Signs The End Of Dollar Hegemony Is Near... Here's What Happens Next
    Tyler Durden's Photo
    BY TYLER DURDEN
    SATURDAY, MAY 21, 2022 - 02:30 PM
    Authored by Nick Giambruno via InternationalMan.com,

It’s no secret that China and Russia have been stashing away as much gold as possible for many years.

China is the world’s largest producer and buyer of gold. Russia is number two. Most of that gold finds its way into the Russian and Chinese governments’ treasuries

Comments

Sanlmar: I genuflect in your direction

Load Metric
    The original podcast was an hour of inspired jazz. A more beautiful riff I have never heard. Listening should be required in all public school systems. Not kidding.

That pod granted you immortality with me Tellafriend. It will never be duplicated or even approached but I love it all.

It’s possible to have more than one reserve currency.”
    - Jerome Powell, the Chairman of the Federal Reserve.

Thread Information