Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Godaddy's Down

Load Metric

Godaddy's Down

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_1...esponsibility/

(CBS News) GoDaddy, the domain registrar and Web hosting company, is down, perhaps taking millions of websites down as a result.
    "Status Alert: Hey, all. We're aware of the trouble people are having with our site. We're working on it," @GoDaddy tweeted Monday.

A quick call to the company's customer service line resulted in this voice message:

"If you are having a problem with your email, we are aware of the problem."

TechCrunch reports that GoDaddy email addresses are down, as well. The blog suggests customers concerned with that their site has been affected can check online status at Down For Everyone Or Just Me.

Twitter accounts claiming to be associated with the hacking group Anonymous claimed responsibility for the attack.

"Basically, every GoDaddy site on the planet just crashed," @TibitXimer tweeted.

"#TangoDown - godaddy.com," @AnonOpsLegion tweeted Monday, claiming that the Twitter account @AnonymousOwn3r was responsible for the breach. "TangoDown" is the term that Anonymous generally uses to signify that a website is down.

"By using / supporting Godaddy, you are supporting censorship of the Internet," @AnonOpsLegion tweeted again later.

GoDaddy was the target of protests after it was discovered that the company supported unpopular bills the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) and Protect IP Act (PIPA).

GoDaddy did not immediately respond to CBS News' request for comment.

wtf i can't check email or work on anything...
    Me defeating Druff 100 BB heads up - http://youtu.be/LmxTH0rZaLk?t=2h12m35s

Load Metric
    I just logged into my Godaddy e-mail. No issues here.
    "You run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole; you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole."

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by LLL View Post
    I just logged into my Godaddy e-mail. No issues here.
    bullshit...

Load Metric
    Workspace login? Not sure what to tell you. I read this on CNN and checked.

Just logged out and signed back in. No problems. Hosted site is good as well.
    "You run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole; you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole."

Load Metric

r u from us?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Yebsite View Post

r u from us?

Load Metric
    Fuck I hope draftday is back up before mnf starts.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    This site is actually registered with GoDaddy, but not hosted by them.

This means that new people (who have never been to PFA before) may have trouble getting through, but all returning users will be fine.

This is yet another reason to not register and host your site with the same company.

BTW, I can't reach godaddy.com now.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Draftday uses GoDaddy hosting? I was always under the impression that GoDaddy's hosting service is awful and nobody who knows what they're doing ever uses it; that they're mostly useful for domains and auctions.

I still have some domains hosted there, just because I haven't been bothered to move them. After getting shut out of mail server today, I'll probably go ahead and do it as soon as they're back up.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    How's the war going Druff, who's winning?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post
    Draftday uses GoDaddy hosting? I was always under the impression that GoDaddy's hosting service is awful and nobody who knows what they're doing ever uses it; that they're mostly useful for domains and auctions.

I still have some domains hosted there, just because I haven't been bothered to move them. After getting shut out of mail server today, I'll probably go ahead and do it as soon as they're back up.
    I agree, that's pretty bad. Someone really shit the bed at DraftDay.

GoDaddy hosting is primarily aimed at people who don't even understand that hosting and registration are two different things.

Some less scrupulous sites actually take advantage of this, get people to register and host their domains for very cheap, and then hold them hostage for an exorbitant fee the next year.

Load Metric
    Fortunately donkdown is dd for me.

Unfortunately tyder is not dd for me.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

GoDaddy hosting is primarily aimed at people who don't even understand that hosting and registration are two different things.

Some less scrupulous sites actually take advantage of this, get people to register and host their domains for very cheap, and then hold them hostage for an exorbitant fee the next year.
    That's a very common tactic in the site flipping business as well. Sell a website, offer free hosting for a year (or less even). The free hosting comes courtesy of HostGator, where you're an affiliate or reseller. Other companies might have similar plans, but HostGator seems to be the most popular one for this.

It's funny, many people sell lots of cheap websites and make most of their profit from hosting commission.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

That's a very common tactic in the site flipping business as well. Sell a website, offer free hosting for a year (or less even). The free hosting comes courtesy of HostGator, where you're an affiliate or reseller. Other companies might have similar plans, but HostGator seems to be the most popular one for this.

It's funny, many people sell lots of cheap websites and make most of their profit from hosting commission.
    eNOM perpetrated a huge scam this way through AOL.

They had a partnership with AOL where computer novices (which are common on AOL) were solicited for super cheap hosting and registration. After a year, they jacked the prices up ridiculously high, and would hold your domain hostage if you tried to leave.

Banned
    Load Metric

They had a partnership with AOL where computer novices (which are common on AOL) were solicited for super cheap hosting and registration. After a year, they jacked the prices up ridiculously high, and would hold your domain hostage if you tried to leave.
    I've pushed domains to new DNS servers, but I've never actually moved domain registration. Is it difficult to do? Can they really just lock you in? That seems borderline illegal. At the very least I would think that you could wait for the registration to expire and then reup with a different company.

Banned
    Load Metric
    As an aside, I mostly use Namecheap for domains and HostGator for hosting. There are probably better companies out there, but I find these two convenient, easy to use, and reasonably priced. I don't have any big websites with tons of traffic, so they suit my needs. I haven't run into any problems yet, but I have had some headaches with GoDaddy in the past.

EDIT: I'm also very curious how many websites are actually hosted with GoDaddy. A glance at Google shows that they have enormous market share in domains, but I couldn't really find any information on hosting. If they're just as strong in hosting (and I very much doubt they are), that would mean nearly half the websites in the world are down right now. Haha.
    Last edited by SrslySirius; 09-10-2012 at 12:26 PM.

Load Metric
    Moving things is no biggee - so long as you understand what you are doing.

Three things
    - domain registration
    - DNS
    - hosting

These are all separate and can be separate providers. Or they can be the same provider providing all 3 services.

With domain registration, you have to specify your DNS servers - but that doesn't mean they actually are working
    With DNS you tell the world what the IP address is of mail, www, ftp, etc - but again doesn't guarantee the www, ftp, email etc servers are working
    With hosting, well you have your website or email on some server with some IP address.

To switch registration, you do a transfer. You need your domain to not be locked, and you need the auth code. You start the process at the new domain registration company, and the current domain registration admin contact has to approve it. If both registrars are resellers from the same company (like tucows) then it happens very fast once it has been approved by the losing registration company. Also, you can have DNS in more than one place and this provides some failure tolerance. When a computer uses DNS, it will try the first one, and if that fails (times out), then it tries the second one, etc. So if the second one is on a different server or with a different company, then your website might still be seen if the first DNS server is done.

There is more to it (host files, propagation, proxies, round robin load balance DNS, etc) - but this is the basics.

Hope this helps.

Load Metric

I've pushed domains to new DNS servers, but I've never actually moved domain registration. Is it difficult to do? Can they really just lock you in? That seems borderline illegal. At the very least I would think that you could wait for the registration to expire and then reup with a different company.
    It's very easy to move hosts or domain registrars. The best practice is to use a different company to host then you use for your name registration. The hosting company uses all sorts of tricks to get you hooked on their services. Don't fall for them and make sure they allow full access to cpanel.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

I think the loophole exists once you pass the date of your original term and it auto-renews. You can cancel, but they can claim that you owe them the auto-renewal fee (since you are already in the next period), and can hold your domain hostage until you pay it.

It's something like that.

I know about this because a friend, who isn't very computer-savvy, fell for this eNOM/AOL scam and asked for my help. I called eNOM and they were super arrogant and nasty on the phone to me (since they must be used to these complaint calls). I remember trying to find ways to reverse what they did, and couldn't find one. Unfortunately, I don't remember the details anymore.

I do remember that I called AOL and really raised hell about this (pretending to be my friend), and got him like a year of free AOL service for his trouble. He never got his domain back, though.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Deal View Post

It's very easy to move hosts or domain registrars. The best practice is to use a different company to host then you use for your name registration. The hosting company uses all sorts of tricks to get you hooked on their services. Don't fall for them and make sure they allow full access to cpanel.

I usually advise people to register with GoDaddy and to host with whomever gives them the best deal (depending upon their service needs, of course).

Thread Information