Thread: Poker player Ben Ross kicked out of Watauga Social Lounge tournament, two from the money, for calling it a "rathole" and objecting to alleged hidden add-on fee

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Poker player Ben Ross kicked out of Watauga Social Lounge tournament, two from the money, for calling it a "rathole" and objecting to alleged hidden add-on fee

Ben Ross recorded himself being kicked out of Texas card room "Watauga Social Lounge", after he both called it a "rathole" and objected to what he believed was a hidden rake on the add-ons.

He was just two from the money in their tournament!

He claimed that they snuck a $12 rake onto the $60 add-on, in this $100 buyin tournament. He was two from the money, and also had 9 bounties collected for $25 each, which were $50 each, and guaranteed him $225. Instead, he was given his $100 buyin back, and refunded his membership fee. Texas card rooms charge a "membership fee" and cannot charge a rake, though they can charge a "seat fee". They masquerade as "social clubs" for legal purposes, and are unregulated. It is not clear if this addon rake was legal or illegal, by Texas law.

They put the add on rake back in the prize pool after Ben raised issue.

The final straw occurred when he called the place a "rat hole", at which point they ejected him.

I put this video together myself, by combining two which he posted on Facebook.

The first 4:40 is a live-recorded video being kicked out, and the remainder explains the whole story which led up to it.

I do not know Ben Ross, and cannot vouch for the story, but it does seem like the owner/manager wasn't disputing his version of events.

Load Metric
    Kessler tweeted about himself also. If they did indeed rake the addon from everything that’s been said about Texas card room rules that’s a major no no. The card room might’ve just killed itself if the player goes to the authorities it would cross the line into I believe breaking the home game rule for poker and be immediate cause for being shut down.

Load Metric
    Interesting, thought it was about guy sneaking off chips in nl. Addons are ridiculous anyway a rathole place but to not tell anyone is shady.
    Last edited by FRANKRIZZO; 02-21-2022 at 10:42 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    They also needled him in a flyer for a tournament which took place today. He got kicked out on the 19th.

Name:  rathole.jpg
Views: 1417
Size:  76.3 KB

Comments

FRANKRIZZO: lol just saw the rathole

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Here was the flyer for the tournament on the 19th, which indeed doesn't mention a rake for the addon.

Name:  watauga1.jpg
Views: 1512
Size:  77.2 KB

Load Metric
    Places like this do not stay open for long.

I called out the now defunct "Freerolls Poker Club" for trying to skim from the prizepool, of a much larger tournamwnt (1.1k Buyin) and they tried to mock me in the community and it didn't fair well for them.

They closed their doors after only being open for less than 2 years and they struggled from very beginning.

***Freerolls sold, and the new owners renamed it to "Poker Stars" LMAO.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    hey hey now since when is calling a card room a rat hole crossing the line? atleast he didnt threaten to burn the place down because we know what would have happened if he did that...nothing probably

Comments

Dan Druff: first post rep

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by AhoosierA View Post
    Places like this do not stay open for long.

I called out the now defunct "Freerolls Poker Club" for trying to skim from the prizepool, of a much larger tournamwnt (1.1k Buyin) and they tried to mock me in the community and it didn't fair well for them.

They closed their doors after only being open for less than 2 years and they struggled from very beginning.

***Freerolls sold, and the new owners renamed it to "Poker Stars" LMAO.
    Drive by that joint every day….never been in it. How is the one down the road in the strip center with Wild Wing Cafe and TX roadhouse? Been tempted to play some tournaments but cash games seem like the rake is too high.

Thread Information