Thread: In the Hills With Harry: Henry Winkler's narcissistic antics on 'Monty' almost kept David Schwimmer from later being on 'Friends'

In the Hills With Harry: Henry Winkler's narcissistic antics on 'Monty' almost kept David Schwimmer from later being on 'Friends'

Hello everyone. Welcome to another episode of In the Hills With Harry. This week we will talk about David Schwimmer, and how Henry Winkler's 1990s narcissism almost caused Schwimmer to quit the small screen permanently, prior to Friends.

When you hear the name David Schwimmer, obviously you think of the character Ross on Friends. Schwimmer became a household name in the 1990s, and made a boatload of money while doing it. He also legitimately had a good time on the show. This wasn't one of those cases where an actor drew a paycheck while quietly hating life.

However, things weren't always that easy for Schwimmer. He had a major part in a little-remembered sitcom called Monty from 1994, which was a mess in all ways. To understand what Schwimmer was going through, you first have to understand the travesty that was Monty. However, let's go back even further to Happy Days.

Henry Winkler was a huge star in the 1970s due to his surprise breakout role as "The Fonz" on Happy Days. Winkler was not the first choice for the role, and in fact the role was oriignally conceived with Mickey Dolenz in mind. However, Garry Marshall was having a hard time settling on an actor to play The Fonz, as nobody reading for the part really nailed what he had pictured for the character. Winkler decided to throw his own personal arrogant spin on the character, which resonated with both Marshall and ABC executives. He was awarded the role.

The Fonz was not supposed to be a major character. However, as the focus of Happy Days shifted a little bit during the show's initial season, The Fonz became increasingly popular, and eventually became the central character of the series. Winkler did not expect this, and assumed himself to be a character actor when awarded the role. By all accounts I've heard, Winkler handled his newfound fame fairly well, and treated his castmates and backstage workers with respect.

After Happy Days ended in 1984, Winkler wasn't able to get further roles, being typecast as The Fonz. He got a few bit parts here and there for the next 9 years or so, but nothing noticeable. Winkler did sign on with Jon Rich to produce MacGyver in 1985. While that show was successful, Winkler felt unsatisfied, wishing he could still be acting, and lamenting the typecasting which wasn't his fault.

In 1993, Winkler finally got his chance to act again, and he put on his existing executive producer hat to help make it happen. Marc Lawrence brought an idea to Winkler which drew upon the popularity of then-recently-famous conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh. What if a Rush-like character were to have his college-aged daughter visit back home, reveal she was a lesbian, and bring her girlfriend to come meet the family? In 1993, there had not been an openly gay major character on any sitcom to date. This would be a first. While the show clearly had a lot of parallels to All in the Family from over two decades earlier, and while Winkler's character was an unabashed ripoff of Rush, Winkler felt the potential. Between his star power, the controversy, and perhaps even the pervert factor of men turning it on to see two young lesbian characters, he was quite bullish on the series. Winkler signed on to be executive producer, alongside Lawrence.

Gary David Goldberg (who knew Lawrence from "Family Ties") came on board to produce, and John Pasquin (also from "Family Ties") signed on to direct. So what happened, and why have you probably not heard of Monty?

Marc Lawrence had a contract with Disney, which was able to convince NBC to take a shot with the show, and a pilot was commissioned. However, when NBC executives saw the pilot, they got cold feet. They didn't like the gay daughter angle. They ultimately passed. Disney then took the pilot over to Fox. Lawrence thought that Fox might be more interested, given that one of their first successful shows was the very unconventional and rauncy Married With Children. However, even Fox wasn't willing to do a show with a major gay character just yet. However, Fox offered a compromise. If Lawrence and Winkler agreed to retool the show, they would allow a gay character to be introduced later in the series, provided it was successful.

Goldberg and Pasquin decided to leave the project. They saw the fail coming. The entire show concept was too wrapped around the idea of, "What if Rush Limbaugh had a gay daughter?" There was little beyond that, and the subtraction of the gay daughter left something very empty. Winkler went to Lawrence and said that he felt the project was cratering, and wanted out. Lawrence convinced him to stay, noting that Rush was such a polarizing figure that the show virtually had a guaranteed audience. He also reminded Winkler that Fox agreed they could bring in a gay character after the show got established, and the two quietly planned to bring in a gay sister of Monty's, sometime during season 2.

David Schwimmer was brought on to replace the gay daughter character. Schwimmer played Monty's son Greg, who came home from college with his new nose-ringed hippy girlfriend, who immediately clashed with Monty. In addition, Monty was surrounded by people who disagreed with him, including his entire family and his own producer. While Rush Limbaugh was wildly famous and successful in 1994, Monty was instead portrayed as a middle-class, pathetic, bumbling host of a local TV station's in-house talk show, where he would be humiliated by his guests. In fact, an 11-year-old girl humiliates him in the first episode.

China Kantner was signed to play Greg's hippy girlfriend. Now that was some great casting! China is the daughter of Grace Slick and Paul Kantner. She was born in San Francisco, and embraced the local hippy lifestyle almost immediately. All she had to do was play herself. She actually did a pretty good job. China had a recurring role on Home Improvement playing a very similar hippy character. Unfortunately, China had a lot of issues with alcohol, like her mother. She eventually attributed the alcoholism partially to the stress of acting and being in the public eye. She quit acting in 2001 and stopped talking to the media, determined to quietly live a life of privacy.

The show was a complete and utter flop. How bad? By the sixth episode, it was the lowest rated program on TV. At that point, it was axed. Henry Winkler's big TV comeback lasted all of six weeks.

I knew someone who was fairly high up on the food chain at Monty. Three years after the cancellation, we were sitting at the grand opening of Hollywood diner Fred 62, and he still couldn't stop talking about his miserable experience on the show.

"How do they think they're gonna succeed with a character everyone hates? They despised Rush so much that they couldn't bear to make Monty even a little bit likable. God forbid someone watches and thinks maybe Rush is a fucking human being, so they have to make sure we hate Monty. Mother fucking Winkler, best buds with Clinton, of course he's gotta make Rush look like a shithead. So I'm watching them shoot, and it's just so bad. I tried to say something, David [Schwimmer] tried to say something, nobody listened. They were the visionaries, we need to just shut up and do our jobs. Then it's dead fucking last and they say, 'Oh it's because we couldn't show the gay daughter.' No humility. None."

That's close to a direct quote, fuzzed perhaps by the 25 years which have passed since its uttering. I wish I didn't have to keep his name confidential, because it's a name you might know. Suffice to say that you can still get this guy to go off about Monty if you bring up the subject, nearly 30 years later.

Oops, this thread is about David Schwimmer. I'm supposed to be talking about him. Sorry, I got off track a bit. Next post I will tell you how this almost caused Schwimmer to quit television acting forever.

While you're waiting, perhaps you'd like to watch the first episode of Monty...

Last edited by Harry Hollywood; 01-28-2022 at 02:48 AM.

Back to David Schwimmer.

He was quite unhappy with Monty, and was growing to hate Lawrence and Winkler.

Schwimmer was sold the role as a modern day Mike 'Meathead' Stivic. However, his Greg character was no Meathead, and Winkler's Monty was no Archie Bunker. Schwimmer's character was reduced to being one of several people surrounding Monty who disagreed with him. In the new pilot, Greg announces he's quitting law school to becomes a chef, and marrying his new hippy girlfriend, Geena. After that, there was not much more for Greg. He was reduced to being part of a cacaphony of characters who always disagree with Monty and point out how stupid he is. Greg had no depth, and neither did the show.

Schwimmer and a few others, including my old 1990s buddy, tried to take their concerns to Lawrence and Winkler. They felt the show was one-dimensional. They felt that Monty was too much of a fool, and didn't have enough positive or endearing traits. They felt that having every character on the show essentially against Monty wasn't a recipe for success. They felt that there wasn't enough room for any characters to grow, if their primary purpose was to anger and disagree with Monty.

Everyone was politely told to sit down and shut up. Winkler pointed to an already-written but not-yet-filmed episode where Monty stood up to Geena's abusive father, and saved her. He told everyone to just be patient, and they'd see that the Monty character had more gears than just being an asshole. Another episode dealt with Geena having second thoughts about marrying Greg. Winkler assured Schwimmer that his character had a lot of developing left to do.

Schwimmer wasn't convinced. In fact, he felt trapped. He had signed on for 14 episodes, as Monty was a midseason replacement on Fox, which began airing in January 1994. However, Schwimmer hadn't landed a starring role prior to this. The closest he had come was on LA Law from 1992-93, but he appeared in only five episodes, and that character was seemingly dropped. While Schwimmer was free to go after the first season, he was afraid. He might never work in this town again. When finally given your big break, walking away after one season can be hazardous to your career's health. Schwimmer went home every day feeling depressed. Either way, he felt he was screwed. If Monty flopped, he would be associated with failure. If it succeeded, he would be stuck for years on a show he hated.

Schwimmer didn't have to wait long to find out. The program was critically panned, and then was in last place by week six. And that was the end.

He felt a sense of relief when he got the call about the show's cancellation. He told his agent three words: "No more sitcoms."

James Burrows directed the first episode of Monty, which was posted above. It surprised me at the time that Burrows, famed TV director who also co-created Cheers, would have been interested in this heap of trash, but apparently he was.

Burrows had moved on to another upcomnig sitcom called Friends, and was to direct the pilot. Schwimmer had already been asked to audition for Friends, but told his agent to say no. Burrows personally called Schwimmer to come out to Los Angeles and meet the crew of the show, perhaps to change his perspective. Schwimmer didn't really want to go out there, but he didn't want to anger Burrows, who was highly influential in the 1990s TV world. He reluctantly went for the meetup. When he got there, he was informed by executive producers Marta Kauffman and David Crane that they had specifically written Ross for him. Schwimmer asked how that was possible, and they reminded him that he auditioned for them about two years prior for a (failed) TV pilot called Couples, which had a lot of similarity to Friends. While Schwimmer didn't get that part, they had remembered him, and wrote the character Ross specifically to be played by him. Floored that a part would have been written for him at that point in his (undistinguished) career, he immediately accepted. He was the first one cast, whereas the other five main characters were chosen through a more typical auditions process.

But what if Schwimmer had held firm to his anti-sitcom stance, and still refused? They already had a backup plan. Noah Wyle had already auditioned for the part, and was to be Ross if Schwimmer ultimately turned down the in-person appeal in Los Angeles. They had to call and break the news to Wyle, who had been told that he most likely had the part, only to have the rug pulled out from under him. Kauffman and Crane felt so bad about this, they put the word out in Hollywood that Wyle was very impressive in his audition, and he was quickly picked up to be on ER.

Schwimmer has had a great career and does not need to publicy express bitterness, so he doesn't. However, he does not care for Henry Winkler, and from what I hear, still won't talk to him. Winkler has since acknowledged in interviews that Monty was awful, but still will not take full credit for why it failed. To this day, he still partially blames the network for forcing the gay daughter theme out of the show, insisting that it was 'hysterically funny' prior to such changes. Sorry, Henry, but nobody beileves that. The whole show was a disaster. Just own it.

Is there a lesson here? Of course. You can have a television show which is one dimensional but likable, such as The A-Team, and it can succeed. You can have a television show with abrasive characters, like All in the Family, and it can succeed if the show has depth. You cannot have a one dimensional show with abrasive characters. Nobody will enjoy that. Unfortunately, Winkler and associates got too caught up in politics, and missed the boat on that one, even when people like Schwimmer were trying to steer it back into place. Mind you, Schwimmer is a lifelong liberal, so his objections were not due to any fandom of Mr. Limbaugh.

I hope you have enjoyed this edition of In the Hills With Harry. I will come back soon and do another thread about another topic.

Comments

The Boz: Great stuff Harry…as always.

herbertstemple: Good read. TX for posting.

country978: enjoyed it a lot

MumblesBadly: Excellent post. Thx!

Reno:
    Last edited by Harry Hollywood; 01-28-2022 at 03:48 AM.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    No openly Gay sitcom characters….c’mon man.

Billy Crystal in SOAP…c’mon man.

Quote Originally Posted by Texter View Post
    No openly Gay sitcom characters….c’mon man.

Billy Crystal in SOAP…c’mon man.
    Hmm, you are correct. I forgot all about SOAP, even though I did watch it somewhat in the late 70s.

It is funny because when my buddy told me in the mid-90s that Monty would have had the first openly gay major sitcom character, I took it at face value and didn't bother to go through my head to see if I could remember one prior.

I think perhaps the difference is that SOAP was a parody, while Monty was a standard sitcom. Maybe that is why network execs were uptight about featuring the gay daughter character on Monty in 1993.

Thank you for the correction. I try to pride myself upon accuracy, but sometimes I drop the ball.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Sometime in the early 70's I saw Henry Winkler in a parade down Kalakaua Avenue in Waikiki. As his float stopped near where I was standing I was struck by how he interacted with fans. He seemed very humble and appreciative. When he said "Thank you", it seemed like he really meant it and was speaking directlty to each individual person. Great actor but maybe not so humble otherwise? Could be...

Comments

Dive_Bar_Dave: ancient loser. nobody cares loser

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilbodoggins View Post
    Sometime in the early 70's I saw Henry Winkler in a parade down Kalakaua Avenue in Waikiki. As his float stopped near where I was standing I was struck by how he interacted with fans. He seemed very humble and appreciative. When he said "Thank you", it seemed like he really meant it and was speaking directlty to each individual person. Great actor but maybe not so humble otherwise? Could be...
    Matches with Harry's account of him. Harry wrote that Winkler was a nice guy during Happy Days and handled his fame well.

Then when he did Monty, he was polite, but dismissive with everyone who had concerns about it being a failshow, including Schwimmer. I'm guessing it was more a matter of delusion than being a dickhead.

Nova Scotia's #1 Party Rocker!!!!11 DJ_Chaps's Avatar
    Load Metric
    ayyyyyyyyyyy
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Chaps' 2017-18 NFL $$ Thread

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Chaps View Post
    ayyyyyyyyyyy

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Wouldn’t mind giving SOAP a rewatch as an Adult…I’m sure I missed a ton of jokes as a kid.

Thread Information