Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Time To Go On A Cruise?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    garrett, you're lucky you didn't get COVID onboard (btw, those rapid tests are shit, especially now for Omicron), or otherwise you would have been held in your room like a prisoner.

Pretty cool that you got to see the Panama Canal, though. I would like to see that sometime, and that's the perfect thing to see on a cruise ship.

Regarding Costa Maya, I wasn't a big fan. It's mostly a bunch of extremely touristy "day resorts", which require a bus ride from the ship to reach. Some people love them, but I wasn't at all impressed. The most expensive one is called "Maya Chan", with unlimited alcohol, unlimited food, and some limited beach activities and water toys they give the kids. However, that's not very exciting when coming off a cruise ship, as you already get unlimited food there, as well as unlimited alcohol if you want to buy that package. But what about the activities and the beach? Is that at least nice? Not really. The water there apparently has a terrible sea grass problem, to where it's both murky and you keep getting the sea grass tangling on your body. I ain't paying a lot of money for that shit.

I looked for alternatives to Costa Maya and found a different day resort which was pay-as-you-go (you only pay for the food/drink you consume), and had no admission fee. It did require a reservation, however. Seemed nice from the description and reviews. You get your own (free) lounge chair on the beach with umbrealla, the food was supposed to be fairly cheap and good, and they have massage girls who work cheap, as well. Sounded like my kind of place. Also, supposedly there wasn't a sea grass issue, and you could even snorkel. So I booked it.

First off, the bus chartered by the cruise ship kept trying to steer people to some preferred businesses run by their buddies, and when we kept asking for them to keep going to our destination, the guy pretended not to understand. There was one Asian guy on the bus who was furious about this, and almost looked like he was about to punch the bus driver. Finally after nobody got off at their buddy's bar, they kept driving.

At the resort, the food was only okay, they kept repeatedly fucking up our order, and the "resort" was just a little strip of beach sandwiched in between about 10 other "resorts" just like it. Super crowded and not peaceful at all. I tried to swim, and was also disappointed. Water got very deep right away to where I couldn't stand anymore. I tried to snorkel, and there were almost zero fish. I asked the owner where I could find fish, he told me to swim about 1/4 mile to the right. Well, I swam about 1/2 mile to the right and found no fish... but I did find a lot of really nasty pollution at the end, which made me realize it wasn't exactly safe water to be swimming. So I got out and walked the 1/2 mile back. What a fail.

My girlfriend got a massage while I was gone swimming, and said that it wasn't very good, and the woman seemed preoccupied with something else on her mind.

The owner was very nice, and was actually an American, so I didn't completely hate the place, but it was a big disappointment. With that said, I wasn't sorry I didn't go to Maya Chan, as the sea grass thing (and the high expense) sounded lousy. At least this barely cost me anything.

As we left, I remember thinking, "If we ever have another stop here, what will I do?"

Usually I'm pretty good at arranging port days for the family, and leave satisfied. This was one of the rare misses where I thought I'd have a really fun day, and it ended up mostly fail.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Oh and I kinda regret not taking a cruise in 2019 before COVID arrived. But who knew?

I had one planned for 2018, but first a hurricane wiped out our itinerary, and they changed it to a bunch of places we had already visited and didn't want to see again. So I cancelled it. I was just about to re-book in August for a November cruise, and then my major psychological issues showed up, and that was that. It was impossible for me to travel anywhere at that point. Some of you might remember I left $3000 in Vegas freeplay on the table because I couldn't even stand to be in the car for more than a few minutes, and I definitely couldn't fly anywhere.

I had vastly improved by early 2019, but I just didn't get around to booking one, but I figured I was on cruises in 2006, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017, so skipping another year wasn't a huge deal. I said we'd do one in summer or fall 2020, and you know the rest.

I do kinda miss it. Not sure when I'll do it next, though. If there's any realistic possibility of being jailed in my stateroom, that's a big fat no.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by garrett;Just went on my first Cruise last month with my parents

I HOPE YOU DIDNT BEAT YOUR DAD ON THE BOAT!!!!
    "It just goes to show the kind of person you are , I got no toe"

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by igotnotoe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by garrett;Just went on my first Cruise last month with my parents

I HOPE YOU DIDNT BEAT YOUR DAD ON THE BOAT!!!!
    Considering that arrest happened in 2009

I would tell you that you need some new material clearly, Princess.....

Load Metric
    Another cruise cut short, passengers offloaded in Bahamas

https://www.lasvegassun.com/news/202...ffloaded-in-b/

MIAMI — A second ship from the embattled Crystal Cruises line has cut short its trip and offloaded passengers in the Bahamas as the company faces a legal dispute over millions of dollars in fuel bills.

The itinerary changes for the Crystal Serenity followed a judge's order last month to seize the Crystal Symphony if it enters U.S. waters.

The Crystal Serenity was originally scheduled to take about 200 passengers on a three-and-a-half month expedition, but two days after leaving Miami on Jan. 17, the company announced it would suspend operations through April. The ship canceled several port calls since then.

Passengers were told the ship would end the cruise in Aruba, but then local officials did not allow the ship to dock this weekend, so the ship was diverted to Bimini, a company spokesman said. The cruise line then ferried the passengers to Fort Lauderdale and taken to hotel rooms Monday night.

The passengers will be reimbursed for any applicable airline change fees, said Crystal Cruises spokesman Vance Gulliksen.

“There are simply no words to express our deep regret and disappointment,” the company’s statement said.

The ship that had a seizure order, Crystal Symphony, was supposed to return to Miami on Jan. 22, but instead changed its course to Bimini, also offloading and ferrying passengers to Fort Lauderdale.

A federal judge overseeing a lawsuit that accuses the cruise line of failing to pay $4.6 million for fuel issued the warrant for the Crystal Symphony on Jan. 20. The maritime order authorizes U.S. Marshals to board a vessel and take charge once it approaches the U.S. coast.

In the complaint filed in a Miami federal court last month, Peninsula Petroleum Far East lists sales totaling $2.2 million of fuel to Crystal Serenity that were not paid. Gulliksen said there is no warrant against the Crystal Serenity.

Some passengers on the voyage, which would have ended in California in late May, said they were glad to leave.

“I’m delighted to be off that ship,” said Barry Shulman, 75, of Las Vegas.

The company announced it was suspending operations through late April to “provide Crystal’s management team with an opportunity to evaluate the current state of business and examine various options moving forward.”

The cruise line’s parent company, Genting Hong Kong, has been struggling with the effects of the pandemic on its shipping and cruise businesses. Last month, one of its shipyards filed for bankruptcy protection in Germany.
    LOL...probably same Barry Shulman who owns Cardplayer Magazine.

Cruise lines are bankrupt and can't afford fuel.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Barry must still have a shitload of money left over from his Cardplayer empire, which is now a shell of its former self.

A 3.5 month cruise on the very expensive Crystal ships costs a fortune.

Definitely the same Barry Shulman. This article from October 2009 lists him as 63 years old: https://www.reviewjournal.com/busine...-europe-title/

Anyone 63 in October 2009 is now either 75 or 76, and he's listed as 75 above.

I don't think there are two rich Barry Shulmans in Las Vegas who are 75-76 years old.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Good find.

This actually links in with the dolphin story I told on radio this week. For those who listened, recall I talked about a scam cruise ship excursion in 2006, and then at the end I mentioned I finally did a real dolphin swim in Cozumel in 2013 (which I booked myself).

Well, looks like Allyn Shulman (Barry's wife) went to the exact same place I did in 2013: Dolphin Discovery in Cozumel

https://jetsetway.com/swimming-with-...ozumel-mexico/

However, she didn't get the top-level package called "Royal Swim", where you get to do a belly ride, dorsal pull, and foot push (the best of the 3). Instead, she did the regular "Dolphin Swim" where you just get the belly ride and pulled on a boogie board.

This is likely because the cruise ship didn't offer it, and she probably booked it through Crystal. I noticed the same issue on NCL in 2013, but I booked it directly so it didn't matter.

Allyn seems to have enjoyed the experience, though, according to the blog. I wonder why Barry didn't go.

I see she also sprung for the super-expensive pictures. Barry didn't take those pics, as cameras aren't allowed in there. They force you to buy their ripoff pics. I had no interest in this. The price of the dolphin swim was very reasonable, though, especially because I got a Jew deal on the whole thing by booking a special.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Even though Barry Shulman is 75, believe it or not, he was one of the young guys on that cruise.

Crystal is notorious for its extremely old crowd onboard. If you are under 80, you are considered one of the youthful passengers. I'm not joking.

This is partially because Crystal Cruises are very expensive, and tend to appeal to old, rich retirees who are freely spending because they know they will be donking down in not too long.

If I went on a Crystal Cruise (I never have been), I would be one of the very youngest passengers aboard, and younger by almost all other passengers by about 2 decades.

I was once on an NCL cruise which had an unusually old crowd (usually NCL is a mixture of middle-aged and old), due to the itinerary and timing (just after school started in September). I was early 40s at the time. They had a basketball tournament planned, and I signed up for it, all ready to completely own all the olds onboard. I would've been like Lebron James in that tournament. Unfortunately, they didn't get enough interest (not exactly shocking), so it didn't go. Ah, what could have been...

Load Metric
    What really went down on seized luxury cruise ship Crystal Serenity

https://nypost.com/2022/02/07/what-r...l-cruise-ship/

It was supposed to be the trip of a lifetime: four months on a luxury cruise ship, motoring from Miami through the Caribbean before stops in Barcelona, Athens, St. Tropez and beyond.

Barry Shulman, and his wife, Allyn Jaffrey Shulman, spent six figures for their top-tier cabin on the Crystal Serenity.

But the first wave of bad news came fast.

“On the third day, [the staff] announced that they’re going broke and dropping us off in Aruba,” said Barry, the 75-year-old owner of Card Player magazine in Las Vegas. “The captain got on [the intercom] to say it was the end of the cruise. It was the end of everything.”

According to The Post, on Friday, the boat was seized from Bahamian waters by US Marshals over an unpaid $4.6 million gas bill — four days after the Crystal Cruises liner had unceremoniously dumped its 450 or so passengers.

“A lot of people were panicking; some were crying,” said Shulman of being kicked off the Serenity. “We’re talking about senior citizens, on a boat, who didn’t know what was going on … this was disturbing.

“There were people who did not know how they would get home from Aruba. They’re used to being pampered and they were getting dropped off near the tip of South America. It was a shit show.”

Things got even weirder that night, when the crew slipped a sheet of paper under each room door.

“It reported that Aruba won’t take us,” said Barry, adding that no specific reason was given. “There was a lot of stress and a million rumors. Some said it was because of COVID. Other people thought it was because Aruba didn’t want to get involved in the lawsuit or the taking of the boat.”

The ship was then rerouted to Bimini, where passengers were to board a two-hour ferry ride that would drop them off in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

“Luckily we had decent seas for the ferry trip. A couple weeks earlier, a Crystal ship [offloaded its passengers to Bimini] and everyone was throwing up on the ferry. It was a mess,” said Barry.

Once arriving, “We had to stay on the boat for another hour. Then they let everybody off all at once, instead of by section, and there was pandemonium,” he said. “We got to the terminal and there were, initially, two customs guys. It took hours to get through there. Then there were no carts, no porters … People couldn’t find their bags. It was completely disorganized.”

As Allyn, a former attorney, wrote on Facebook: “We get off the ferry only to find all the luggage dumped everywhere, colors and numbers NOT together, luggage falling down, no porters and NO CRYSTAL REPS. NONE. No one giving instructions. No one helping the older folks. It was a shameful sight.”

Finally, as midnight neared, exhausted passengers boarded buses that would take them to hotels in Miami, almost an hour away.

“But nobody had a manifest,” said Barry. “A lot of people didn’t check ahead of time. They wound up at the Intercontinental but had rooms at the Hilton. It was past midnight and they were getting yelled at for being in the wrong place.”

He and his wife are confused, and angry, about why the ship left Port of Miami in the first place.

“They knew something was going on before they took off and they should have said, ‘Sorry we can’t leave Miami.’ But they began the cruise because this way they can keep money from the first segment of the trip.”

And that’s the next big worry — getting refunds.

“There were people who had saved up for this one-time cruise,” Barry said. “We were all told not to worry, that there would be a pro-rated refund, the cruise-line would handle it. But you can’t even trust these guys now.”

Still, the bummer of a trip didn’t completely take the wind out of the Shulmans’ sails.

“We’re on a Regent cruise right now; I booked it while [things were going south] on the Serenity,” Barry said, adding that his wife was reprimanded and eventually banished from Serenity’s website for posting details on the replacement cruise that they had found.

Of their current adventure, which goes through the Caribbean, down to the Amazon and up to San Francisco, he added, “This is a delightful itinerary — and I don’t feel that Regent will go broke while we are at sea.”

Load Metric
    LOL. Good Luck getting your refund.

Allyn was reprimanded and eventually banished from Serenity’s website for posting details on the replacement cruise that she and Barry found.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    XFactor, thanks for finding all of this.

Definitely will be a topic on radio tonight.

I had wondered what the NY Post meant by "Serenity's website", because the Crystal Serenity doesn't have a website for itself. They presumably meant a Facebook group for Crystal Cruises, and it looks like some moderator deleted Allyn's comment and then banned her. It's unclear if the moderator is a Crystal employee, or just a fangirl of Crystal.

I've run into this shit regarding other cruise lines. There are fanboys and fangirls with cult-like devotion to certain lines, and if they have moderation power, they will delete any negative comments about the cruise line, even if 100% true.

I'm guessing the Shulmans are getting all the quotes in these articles because of several factors:

1) Despite being over 70, they were among the younger Crystal passengers.

2) They are both still sharp. Most of the Crystal passengers are more senile than Joe Biden. (Thankfully my parents are both still sharp, so this also bodes well for me, provided my body makes it to that age.)

3) Having managed a media company for decades, they are both media savvy and willing to speak out.

4) Allyn obsessively documents and posts about her vacation adventures, so they had a lot of pictures ready to hand to the media.

It's funny how many news stories these days have some kind of connection to the poker or gambling communities.

Load Metric
    Jealousy over a THREESOME between passengers sparked 60-person brawl on Carnival Cruise ship dance floor that lasted for an HOUR and spanned five floors

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ing-lover.html

Go an a Carnival Cruise and take part in a threesome.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by TheXFactor View Post
    What really went down on seized luxury cruise ship Crystal Serenity

https://nypost.com/2022/02/07/what-r...l-cruise-ship/

It was supposed to be the trip of a lifetime: four months on a luxury cruise ship, motoring from Miami through the Caribbean before stops in Barcelona, Athens, St. Tropez and beyond.

Barry Shulman, and his wife, Allyn Jaffrey Shulman, spent six figures for their top-tier cabin on the Crystal Serenity.

But the first wave of bad news came fast.

“On the third day, [the staff] announced that they’re going broke and dropping us off in Aruba,” said Barry, the 75-year-old owner of Card Player magazine in Las Vegas. “The captain got on [the intercom] to say it was the end of the cruise. It was the end of everything.”

According to The Post, on Friday, the boat was seized from Bahamian waters by US Marshals over an unpaid $4.6 million gas bill — four days after the Crystal Cruises liner had unceremoniously dumped its 450 or so passengers.

“A lot of people were panicking; some were crying,” said Shulman of being kicked off the Serenity. “We’re talking about senior citizens, on a boat, who didn’t know what was going on … this was disturbing.

“There were people who did not know how they would get home from Aruba. They’re used to being pampered and they were getting dropped off near the tip of South America. It was a shit show.”

Things got even weirder that night, when the crew slipped a sheet of paper under each room door.

“It reported that Aruba won’t take us,” said Barry, adding that no specific reason was given. “There was a lot of stress and a million rumors. Some said it was because of COVID. Other people thought it was because Aruba didn’t want to get involved in the lawsuit or the taking of the boat.”

The ship was then rerouted to Bimini, where passengers were to board a two-hour ferry ride that would drop them off in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

“Luckily we had decent seas for the ferry trip. A couple weeks earlier, a Crystal ship [offloaded its passengers to Bimini] and everyone was throwing up on the ferry. It was a mess,” said Barry.

Once arriving, “We had to stay on the boat for another hour. Then they let everybody off all at once, instead of by section, and there was pandemonium,” he said. “We got to the terminal and there were, initially, two customs guys. It took hours to get through there. Then there were no carts, no porters … People couldn’t find their bags. It was completely disorganized.”

As Allyn, a former attorney, wrote on Facebook: “We get off the ferry only to find all the luggage dumped everywhere, colors and numbers NOT together, luggage falling down, no porters and NO CRYSTAL REPS. NONE. No one giving instructions. No one helping the older folks. It was a shameful sight.”

Finally, as midnight neared, exhausted passengers boarded buses that would take them to hotels in Miami, almost an hour away.

“But nobody had a manifest,” said Barry. “A lot of people didn’t check ahead of time. They wound up at the Intercontinental but had rooms at the Hilton. It was past midnight and they were getting yelled at for being in the wrong place.”

He and his wife are confused, and angry, about why the ship left Port of Miami in the first place.

“They knew something was going on before they took off and they should have said, ‘Sorry we can’t leave Miami.’ But they began the cruise because this way they can keep money from the first segment of the trip.”

And that’s the next big worry — getting refunds.

“There were people who had saved up for this one-time cruise,” Barry said. “We were all told not to worry, that there would be a pro-rated refund, the cruise-line would handle it. But you can’t even trust these guys now.”

Still, the bummer of a trip didn’t completely take the wind out of the Shulmans’ sails.

“We’re on a Regent cruise right now; I booked it while [things were going south] on the Serenity,” Barry said, adding that his wife was reprimanded and eventually banished from Serenity’s website for posting details on the replacement cruise that they had found.

Of their current adventure, which goes through the Caribbean, down to the Amazon and up to San Francisco, he added, “This is a delightful itinerary — and I don’t feel that Regent will go broke while we are at sea.”

Wow, he really looks good(no homo) especially for almost 80 in the first pic not so much the second.

Load Metric
    Jealousy over a THREESOME between passengers sparked 60-person brawl on Carnival Cruise ship dance floor that lasted for an HOUR and spanned five floors

Usual suspects on Carnival. Not sure why any normal person would get on a Carnival Cruise. It’s a floating liberal city due to the low prices.

Load Metric
    Just like airplanes pre 80’s cruise ships have become a victim of their own success.

There is so much capacity the cruise industry has to fill the boats with people that will spend money. No 50+ year old that knows that the fuck they are doing would ever step foot on a carnival ship. They are for single young adults that want to party hard or for families that would to use the pool all day and then go hide in their room at night or drop their kids off at the kid only clubs.

If that’s your thing cool. If not stick to princess or Royal.

Of if you are near death Norwegian

Load Metric
    Depends on what you consider success. If you don’t consider making money the metric for success then you’re correct. Airlines post deregulation has been a black hole. If you back out the loyalty programs airlines lose maybe a penny an passenger air mile iirc.

It is the comparison folks sometimes make though.

Saw something interesting recently about a mega ship that was under construction in a shipyard getting cut up for scrap.

But yeah, as I’ve said numerous times, my cruise days are in the rear view mirror and that’s ok.

Name:  DC06A89B-14B1-4B0D-BE3F-2ED92F012D12.jpeg
Views: 155
Size:  66.0 KB
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 06-30-2022 at 06:25 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Norwegian has its issues (plenty of Caesars style fail), but an old crowd isn't one of them.

I found the age of the crowd to be similar to that on Princess -- middle age to elderly. The only exception occurs during times which are highly inconvenient for families, such as right after the start of the school year.

I agree with your statement about Carnival. I wouldn't take one of those cruises for free.

Load Metric
    todge can you livestream the moment you get hanta virus on your next cruise

Load Metric

You don’t see Kathy Lee Gifford’s husband, Frank Gifford, in this commercial cause he was banging Johnny Carson’s wife at the time.

Carson’s lawyer, Henry “The Bombastic” Bushkin, penned a book about Carson. In it he describes an armed Carson and himself breaking into the apartment looking for evidence of the tryst - and finding it.

Crazy times, I guess.

I know Druff doesn’t read books but I would still recommend.

Thread Information