Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PFA snubbed again at GPI Awards, confirms site's 8th tier status

Load Metric

Red face

The GPI awards have got somethings right but they basically are insulated in the PokerGo bubble. If your not down with PokerGO, you are swimming upstream. Almost all of poker content today is either YouTube Vloggers, Twitch Streamers & Cash Game Livestreams (mainly on YouTube & to a much lower extent twitch).

I have no idea the quality of the Main Event coverage on CBS Sports because I have no desire to watch it. No one gives a shit how Koray Aldemir won. The product could be terrific, but I don’t know a single person watching. Same with a lot of PokerGo’s content. I have seen high stakes poker and it was done pretty well. But the viewership is just not there.

Poker tournaments just aren’t compelling to watch anymore. There is a number of factors, but it’s just the truth. I have to hand it to Negreanu, because he is doing such an incredible service for the WSOP by churning out those vlogs. For most, that will be the majority of WSOP content they will consume. Especially that they are not on ESPN anymore, Negreanu’s daily vlogs are so important to the brand.

This guy Eric Dani seems like a nice guy. But it’s clear that the nominations are mainly determined to have certain industry people involved. No one is spending hours & hours consuming all kinds of content to determine what’s the most deserving. Not that most award shows do things much better. This is basically to have a night of self congratulations and throw a party with a “desirable” guest list. It’s friends giving trophies to other friends or people they hope to be friends with.

Druff has long deserved a nomination. He puts more hours into that podcast than some people who are actually paid in the industry. Who else was going to do 3 hours on Mikki? No one. I think most people familiar with the show would admit it deserves a fucking nom for Christ’s sake. Last year they had a long list for all categories and then shrunk it from there. PFA wasn’t even on that list. Whether you are a fan or not… That is total bullshit.

Get your heads out of your asses GPI.

BTW -10000 Polk wins best podcast despite it not really being a podcast. He hasn’t won an award before and has bitched about it endlessly. Now that he and Negreanu have buried the hatchet, a make-up GPI award is a mortal lock.

Load Metric
    Big fan of you, Jeff, but Polk's show is 100% a podcast in every respect, by any definition you can find. I'd say that over half the podcasts I subscribe to also have YouTube versions. That is in no way a disqualifier.

Polk's podcast is indeed a podcast. There's no valid argument otherwise, IMO.

Comments

JeffDime: You make good points Crowe. Technically it’s a podcast by definition

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    Big fan of you, Jeff, but Polk's show is 100% a podcast in every respect, by any definition you can find. I'd say that over half the podcasts I subscribe to also have YouTube versions. That is in no way a disqualifier.

Polk's podcast is indeed a podcast. There's no valid argument otherwise, IMO.
    Just because the audio of a video show is availble for download on iTunes, does that really make it a podcast?

Even the actual definition of the word podcast lists it as "a digital audio file".

I really think there should be a distinction between a YouTube show (where there is significant visual content) and a podcast (where you basically lose nothing by listening only to audio, or where only audio is available).

It just feels like two completely different things. There are plenty of poker YouTube shows and poker podcasts to nominate each year. There should really be two categories, at least for as long as audio-only podcasts are still prominent. It's not like it costs GPI anything to add another category.

With that said, even if there was another category and Polk's show wasn't hogging up one of the "best podcast" spots, I doubt PFA would have been the show to replace it. You know, eighth tier and all.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post
    Please forgive Druff he's a bit older and doesn't realize that most "podcasts" are now in video format for YouTube in parallel with the audio only version.
    I prefer the audio only most times. I listen more carefully. I don’t want to look at most of these people anyway.

Rogan is an the extreme case of a distracting appearance.
    We have similar sensibilities. Many things I listen to have video of the podcasts, but I’ve listened to people for a decade that I have no interest in even knowing what they look like. I don’t have a clue what Joe House or Simmons other buddies look like despite hearing them for thousands of hours. Same with Lebatard crew. I’ve seen some on twitter or randomly, but not from seeking it out. They’re guys. What do I care? I’m a say something interesting person and everything else is irrelevant.

The podcast having an accompanying video is wasted on me. I’ll never watch.

Comments

Crowe Diddly: I've fallen in love with the Lebatard show so hard.

Sanlmar: We do and I’m gonna be listening to Lebatard tonight, I guess. I’m slow on the uptake

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Just because the audio of a video show is availble for download on iTunes, does that really make it a podcast?

Even the actual definition of the word podcast lists it as "a digital audio file".
    YES. No qualifier. It's 100% a podcast. By your definition, and all others.

I'm not an apple guy, but when I dl the doug polk show on my pod app (podcast addict), I get an audio file of the show. MP3, just like every single other podcast in the world. Its fairly similar to Morning Kombat, another podcast I listen to that is broadcast live on youtube and is also offered via all the podcast places just like your show and Doug's show, and has also managed to win awards for best mma podcast, because jus like your show and Doug's show, it's an mp3 downloadable audio file provided by rss feed, i.e. a podcast. It's 100% a podcast, by the definition you chose to be THE definition, even tho its fairly commonplace for video podcasts to called podcasts nowadays anyway.

If you went live with your show on youtube, then archived the mp3 to the rss feed like normal after, would your show not be a podcast anymore?

Answer: it would indeed still be a podcast. Just like Doug's.

Sour grapes are fun and all, but c'mon, dude. You know its a podcast.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post

YES. No qualifier. It's 100% a podcast. By your definition, and all others.

I'm not an apple guy, but when I dl the doug polk show on my pod app (podcast addict), I get an audio file of the show. MP3, just like every single other podcast in the world. Its fairly similar to Morning Kombat, another podcast I listen to that is broadcast live on youtube and is also offered via all the podcast places just like your show and Doug's show, and has also managed to win awards for best mma podcast, because jus like your show and Doug's show, it's an mp3 downloadable audio file provided by rss feed, i.e. a podcast. It's 100% a podcast, by the definition you chose to be THE definition, even tho its fairly commonplace for video podcasts to called podcasts nowadays anyway.

If you went live with your show on youtube, then archived the mp3 to the rss feed like normal after, would your show not be a podcast anymore?

Answer: it would indeed still be a podcast. Just like Doug's.

Sour grapes are fun and all, but c'mon, dude. You know its a podcast.
    Podcasts are audio shows. Look at the definition I posted -- "a digital audio file".

If it happens to also exist on a video platform, that doesn't stop it from being a podcast. However, if video is a major element of the show to where it's more than just a camera on the host talking, it's really a video show where the audio is being made available in podcast format.

Remember the July PFA YouTube show which Brandon did, while I was on vacation? I posted the audio to the archives as normal. However, it was definitely a video show, and I wouldn't consider that one episode to be a podcast. You lost a lot of what was going on if you listened but didn't watch.

Keep in mind that podcasts started before any video shows were really a thing. Podcasts were basically pre-recorded internet radio shows which would "cast" over to the devices of subscribers when available.

I see podcasts as radio, and YouTube as TV. I will never see that differently -- or at least not for as long as audio-only podcasts are still very common (which they are).

Load Metric
    Podcasts are audio shows. Look at the definition I posted -- "a digital audio file".

The Doug Polk Show podcast I get in my app is an mp3. Not an MP4, not an AVI, an mp3. Just like your show, just like the definition calls for. It's easy to listen to and has no need for the video, even tho you suggest it does. Just like the Lebatard Show, which is also available on youtube. Just like Morning Kombat, the Comain Event Podcast, The MMA Hour, any of the Ringer pods I listen to, Oral Sessions with Renee Paquette, so on, so forth and et cetera.

I'm not gonna argue any more of this with you, because I'm not interested in moving goalposts. It's a podcast. I listen to it in my podcast app. Everyone else recognizes this plain truth. You should too.

I see podcasts as radio, and YouTube as TV. I will never see that differently -- or at least not for as long as audio-only podcasts are still very common (which they are).
    At least adhere to your own chosen posted definition, pls. Polk's show is available via podcast (straight up mp3 file) just like yours. That's literally the defining characteristic in the definition you gave us.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    I could give a shit about the GPIs but if you were nominated and I was snubbed I would be outraged ( I've never been nominated).

Comments

JeffDime: You should of been for commentator.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BartHanson View Post
    I could give a shit about the GPIs but if you were nominated and I was snubbed I would be outraged ( I've never been nominated).
    This is a big issue in my mind. Bart is right up there with the most well respected poker announcers/ commentators. But he does it mainly on poker livestreams on YouTube. These are seen by exponentially more people than on PokerGO. He has done the big Dwan, Ivey, etc streams.

But, I don’t think Bart has done any work for PokerGO…and I think that’s the main reason he is continually overlooked. I’m not taking anything away from the nominees. But the fact Bart has never been nominated is absurd.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

I prefer the audio only most times. I listen more carefully. I don’t want to look at most of these people anyway.

Rogan is an the extreme case of a distracting appearance.
    We have similar sensibilities. Many things I listen to have video of the podcasts, but I’ve listened to people for a decade that I have no interest in even knowing what they look like. I don’t have a clue what Joe House or Simmons other buddies look like despite hearing them for thousands of hours. Same with Lebatard crew. I’ve seen some on twitter or randomly, but not from seeking it out. They’re guys. What do I care? I’m a say something interesting person and everything else is irrelevant.

The podcast having an accompanying video is wasted on me. I’ll never watch.
    This is one of those weird times where I feel my sports fandom might be too extreme, because I would easily recognize BS, and probably House if I saw them on the street.

JackO i might not recognize.

Comments

BCR: Looked him up last night after I posted that. Thought he’d be fatter with all the food talk.

Load Metric
    Sanlmar: We do and I’m gonna be listening to Lebatard tonight, I guess. I’m slow on the uptake

You’re going to have to pick your hours on this one. It’s usually listed in segments of hours. There is a Because Miami hour with the guy who made cocaine cowboys that discusses the corruption in S Fla. Great. An hour with Samson every week on the local hour. There is a weekly zoo Miami segment with Ron Magill. that’s great. A Greg Cote day who is a veteran columnist for Miami Herald and is like a less famous Bob Ryan guy. Most of the interviews are good.

I find the show funny as I know the guys from years of listening, but you could randomly pick an hour where they are discussing some nonsense and wonder wtf me and Crowe are on about. Unlike Simmons, they aren’t all 50. There are hours of just inside joke shit that doesn’t translate occasionally.

As far as this show. Haven’t listened much, but I consider it a podcast/talk show, and have no desire for a YouTube. It feels like it qualifies, but I listen to it as a podcast. I think radio Druff is the best Druff, but have a tendency to listen in bunches maybe during a few weeks in a year and shit that was timely at one point is no longer. I can skip past stuff and deeply appreciate the time stamps. I think Druff with his phone prankster background is a talented radio guy. He’s also far less polarizing as a radio host than as a poster. More reasonable. Usually his hosts aren’t nearly as right wing as him. I find it quality when I skip some scandal that doesn’t interest me or gossip about some kid I don’t know and hit the right segments.

I think Bart is great also. Always my favorite poker coach type as he speaks like a normal human and it isn’t all internet poker jargon. Haven’t listened for awhile as I’ve been busy, but I listened to Bart even before Druff. More poker instructional via Live at the Bike back in 2005 or whenever joker gaming ran it nightly with him and Dave and the chick from Minnesota eventually coming on later. Corporation Mike and Barry era.

Thread Information