Thread: Xbox to buy activisionblizzard

Load Metric

Xbox to buy activisionblizzard

Some of biggest gaming news in years. Activision blizzard was already in trouble with lawsuits from California regarding sexual discrimination.

Blizzard had lost a lot of its identity since activision purchased it 8 years ago or so. I actually was lucky enough to attend benefit dinners at Blizzcon in the past and meet numerous developers. Seems possible they will never have another blizzcon again at this point.

But Xbox now is getting some huge franchises.

https://www.ign.com/articles/xbox-ac..._YC8zKFBpMsEPo

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BetCheckBet View Post
    Some of biggest gaming news in years. Activision blizzard was already in trouble with lawsuits from California regarding sexual discrimination.

Blizzard had lost a lot of its identity since activision purchased it 8 years ago or so. I actually was lucky enough to attend benefit dinners at Blizzcon in the past and meet numerous developers. Seems possible they will never have another blizzcon again at this point.

It's for the Metaverse

In time, they expect it to become a very lucrative space. And in Gaming and other Gaming options, built on Blockchain Technology here. I think that may be the positioning going on here.

Silver
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by garrett View Post

It's for the Metaverse

In time, they expect it to become a very lucrative space. And in Gaming and other Gaming options, built on Blockchain Technology here. I think that may be the positioning going on here.
    Think you might be right but do you think it’s possible they might also be doing so for game theory reasons?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheesfaced View Post

It's for the Metaverse

Think you might be right but do you think it’s possible they might also be doing so for game theory reasons?
    Consolidation on it's own is profitable. I don't think they should allow it here. Microsoft is already the biggest actor and picking up the 6th biggest company in the space just hurts the consumer.

There's a pretty long list of cases where Microsoft has abused it's monopoly status.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    In general whenever a larger company buys a smaller one, it ruins the products of the smaller one (even if the "smaller" one isn't that small).

Also, who remembers Activision from these days?

Comments

tigerpiper: that quicksand was a bitch I recall

ftpjesus: rolling logs and jumping gators heads rep

Load Metric
    I should also mention upper management had some major issues recently due to the sexual misconduct allegations. The company came out hard and resulted in them having to do a 180 and a bit of a public relations nightmare. It’s hard to imagine this is not connected in some way. It was actually a former bush administration member who really fucked up here. And yes that’s how disconnected these major gaming companies are. A fucking bush administration member is their top female employee. See below and no surprise she fucked up the sexual allegations response.

The executive level of Activision Blizzard has often been seen an entity of its own. CEO Bobby Kotick and other executives are seemingly distant from the games and offerings of Activision Blizzard's studios. That view is likely to grow with the announcement of a new hire. Frances F. Townsend, counterterrorism expert for the administration of former US President George W. Bush, has been hired as Activision's new executive vice president for corporate affairs.

Townsend joined Activision Blizzard as executive vice president for corporate affairs, corporate secretary, and chief compliance officer in March, 2021.[22] While serving as executive vice president of Activision Blizzard, an open letter signed by over 2,000 employees called for Townsend "to stand by her word to step down as Executive Sponsor of the ABK Employee Women’s Network" due to her criticized response to a California Department of Fair Employment and Housing lawsuit.[23] It was later revealed that Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick had written the letter and not Townsend. [24]
    Last edited by BetCheckBet; 01-18-2022 at 08:14 AM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Well I don't know much about this Townsend woman or the sexual harassment issue at Activision, but it doesn't surprise me.

These Silicon Valley companies are full of woke incel types who talk the talk when it comes to feminism and all the left wing buzzwords of the day, but in reality look down upon women and resent them for not dating them. In fact, some of these dudes are even worse than right wing incels because they have zero self-awareness regarding how they treat these women, actually believing their own bullshit about being feminists themselves.

The companies also tend to be really bad at handling these allegations. Typically first it involves sweeping the problem under the rug and pretending it's not happening, and then once the seams start to burst on social media, they engage in some kind of laughable overcorrection. Just cluelessness all around.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmick View Post
    There's a pretty long list of cases where Microsoft has abused it's monopoly status.
    probably worth pointing out; if ms started making ATVI games 'xbox only' to any meaningful extent, the DoJ would almost certainly get involved for exactly the reason you mentioned.

also theres been fairly recent pivot from both ms and sony to embrace cross-platform experiences.

so im tentatively optimistic that ms wont do their traditional blood thirsty bullshit here.

as an aside, ATVI shorts were down about $250m by market open.

Comments

gimmick: i'm not too worried about xbox only with recent acquisitions
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Well I don't know much about this Townsend woman or the sexual harassment issue at Activision, but it doesn't surprise me.

These Silicon Valley companies are full of woke incel types who talk the talk when it comes to feminism and all the left wing buzzwords of the day, but in reality look down upon women and resent them for not dating them. In fact, some of these dudes are even worse than right wing incels because they have zero self-awareness regarding how they treat these women, actually believing their own bullshit about being feminists themselves.

The companies also tend to be really bad at handling these allegations. Typically first it involves sweeping the problem under the rug and pretending it's not happening, and then once the seams start to burst on social media, they engage in some kind of laughable overcorrection. Just cluelessness all around.
    I don’t think it really has anything to do with politics. But your general point is spot on.

These guys who form video game start ups tend to be young white males who work 16 hours a day. Many of them were recruited as friends or even through fellow guilds on other video games see Everquest. Often they would hire people who did amazing fan art or free mods. The thing is they don’t operate as typical large corporations. When a large corporation comes in and starts mandating normal work hours, maternity leave, and talks work life balance it’s just not conducive to creating a great video game. Warcraft, starcraft, Diablo, and world of Warcraft were made by compulsive video game nerds who’s entire life was working and playing on video games.

I don’t think these were evil incels. But were a group of guys who really didn’t understand what normal life is or a normal work life for that matter. So when some woman talks about needing to leave work at 5pm to pick up their child they don’t respond in a proper manner.

Comments

Sanlmar: Proper framing rep

Load Metric

It's for the Metaverse

Game theory dictates that for every action their is a reaction

If you were standing right in front of me, and thought you were being so cool and smart and said something like this jokingly tonme you would be calling the cops, after you were done getting you're teeth backf Ron the bottom of you're throat, have a nice day. You better be careful, who you just think you are sounding cool with here imo, honestly. And I'll tell you that nicely. If something or someone made me feel wronged and was deliberately mean at me constantly, that isn't going to end well I don't think.

What do you think my reaction would be to your action then???

Load Metric

If you were standing right in front of me, and thought you were being so cool and smart and said something like this jokingly tonme you would be calling the cops, after you were done getting you're teeth backf Ron the bottom of you're throat, have a nice day. You better be careful, who you just think you are sounding cool with here imo, honestly. And I'll tell you that nicely. If something or someone made me feel wronged and was deliberately mean at me constantly, that isn't going to end well I don't think.

Comments

Gordman: Calling him an autistic child would be a step up and a compliment to him
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric

Load Metric
    Just got out today. Bought in years ago @ 22 and change. Sold today @ 83 and change. Deal will take at least a year until it closes. Also could face anti-trust issues. If the deal is blocked or fails for other reasons, it will tank back to the 50's. I made my money in this one. Time to move on.

Comments

garrett: lol fantastic.... "I made my money in this one. Time to move on."
    En boca cerrada, no entran moscas

Platinum
    Load Metric

Ooo, look!

Its another fully retarded Joshua Garrett Schaller "im a fucking badass and I beat up people like you on my way to a fight" post!

Im shocked that it took as long as it did (a week?) For you to kake another post like this.

You are so fucking awesome Josh..nobody could be such a full reta...i mean a full badass like you.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerveza Fria View Post
    Just got out today. Bought in years ago @ 22 and change. Sold today @ 83 and change. Deal will take at least a year until it closes. Also could face anti-trust issues. If the deal is blocked or fails for other reasons, it will tank back to the 50's. I made my money in this one. Time to move on.
    Applaud you for holding on so long and going through both the 2018 blizzcon/don’t you have phones crash and the 2021 sexual harassment crash.

I will also admit their brand has become so diverse it’s difficult to properly evaluate.

It’s pretty sad honestly cause back in the day making a great video game lead to profits. But now it’s all about monetization. You have companies like tencent releasing pure trash but making amazing profits off predatory micro transactions. Hell one of activisions Biggest profit game wise is fucking candy crush….

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerveza Fria View Post
    Applaud you for holding on so long and going through both the 2018 blizzcon/don’t you have phones crash and the 2021 sexual harassment crash.

I will also admit their brand has become so diverse it’s difficult to properly evaluate.

It’s pretty sad honestly cause back in the day making a great video game lead to profits. But now it’s all about monetization. You have companies like tencent releasing pure trash but making amazing profits off predatory micro transactions. Hell one of activisions Biggest profit game wise is fucking candy crush….

Yes, King Media (candy crush) was an acquisition by ATVI several years ago, that taught them how to monetize in-game purchases. It moved the business model from selling game cartridges or disks, to giving the game away for free and selling up-grades (extra lives, new weapons, etc.). Instead of making $50 per game every two years, they are making $15-20/month from the same game. And no manufacturing or transportation costs. They also cut out the middle man (Game stop, Target, etc.) and increased profits. They starting of the Pro E-Sports leagues was genius and drove profits way up.

I held onto it for so long because I have many friends with teenage or college age kids and they kept telling me about the constant in-game purchases their kids were making. That told me it was right to hold. But, now it's time for me to get out.
    En boca cerrada, no entran moscas

Thread Information