Thread: Doug Polk says he will give away $10k in a drawing to retweeter if Steelers win

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Doug Polk says he will give away $10k in a drawing to retweeter if Steelers win

https://twitter.com/DougPolkVids/status/1482883455847473155

https://twitter.com/DougPolkVids/status/1482885877420408836

Very likely a moot point now, as the Steelers are down 35-7 in the 3rd, but this tweet was before game time.

He has over 4,000 retweets at the time I'm writing this.

However, I'm very curious how the drawing would have been conducted? Totally random? And if it was totally random and a known poker pro (or friend of his) won, would Doug quietly redraw? I have to imagine that such a promotion would only have value to Doug's brand if a regular Joe random won this. In fact, if a guy perceived to be a buddy of his won, it would probably have negative promotional value, and people might (wrongly) suspect it was rigged. That's why I'm wondering what Doug would do in such a spot.

I almost never do these "retweet to win X" things, because your odds tend to be tiny, and there's no guarantee that the selection process is random. You're generally just giving people free social media promotion. Even if I knew 100% they were random, I still wouldn't do it because equity tends to be so low that you're selling out clutter on your feed for pennies. For example, here your equity would be under $2.50. It also just looks cheesy when you do it.

The only exception is if it's a niche market and the competition is not going to be numerous. But even then, I tend to avoid it.

Load Metric
    I agree with your points for not entering, but why knock someone doing a giveaway?

It's Doug Polk, of course he's trying to grow his brand and get more followers. He knew there was a good chance of the Steelers losing + he's had a great weekend (poker? betting?) and wanted to give back.

Load Metric
    LoL an actually facinating Devil's Advocate point of view here lol fun

I actually myself recently, have had to catch myself and not RT too many free horse giveaways for Zed, since actually and my Twitter is just my only one. And that i do use kinda more personal, so I realized that ididnt want it clogged with free horse giveaway retweeets lol. I stopped retweeting for the Zed free horse giveaways some now since I am not actually doing it to grim, but most times I like the horse its breed type etc, and think of how it could be used for fun in my own stable lol, but ive had to stop retweeting too many free horse giveaways now, and i still do some, but dont need that look in that it does make you out to look like a grimmer grimming free horses with them retweets, but sometimes they are worth the RT i think lol, anyway

interesting point of view here.

Load Metric
    Steelers suck.

They never had any chance to win.

But they suck less than the Cowboys.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post
    I agree with your points for not entering, but why knock someone doing a giveaway?

It's Doug Polk, of course he's trying to grow his brand and get more followers. He knew there was a good chance of the Steelers losing + he's had a great weekend (poker? betting?) and wanted to give back.
    We are talking about him and that is exactly his aim.

For a brief second I considered that he might attack sports wagering. Not to try to beat the game but to land some silly deal with a book. The old poker pro model.

I think he has a good brand. Every idiot is in an ad now.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

I'm not knocking him, just discussing the possibilities of the whole thing. $10k isn't a lot of money to him, and this was obviously something promotional in order to further build his brand (and in all likelihood wouldn't need to be paid, due to the Steelers being the dogs).

Like, let's say hypothetically it was a random drawing and Ronnie Bardah won. While Bardah and Polk aren't friends, would Polk actually award the $10k to a known successful pro, or would he avoid the bad optics and quietly redraw until an unknown hit it?

Comments

garrett: obv seriouslySrs wins

Load Metric
    I mean, it is super easy to do. You livestream on your platform of choice while using a randomizer website.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    I mean, it is super easy to do. You livestream on your platform of choice while using a randomizer website.
    I know Druff likes to sniff out fraud, but the risk/reward for Polk just doesn't seem to be there. To me it seems like Polk is a guy with high integrity (to the point where he shoves it in your face) so I don't see him rigging a contest to promote his brand.

We'll never know the answer now.

Load Metric
    I think you're thinking too hard about this druff, you put your followers in a randomizer site and click go

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Doug is no stranger to giveaways: https://gleam.io/5jZoK/doug-polks-20...poker-giveaway

Gold
    Load Metric
    Druff put in a raise, show em how the Cali ballers get down.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    I know Druff likes to sniff out fraud, but the risk/reward for Polk just doesn't seem to be there. To me it seems like Polk is a guy with high integrity (to the point where he shoves it in your face) so I don't see him rigging a contest to promote his brand.

We'll never know the answer now.
    I don't think there's any kind of fraud involved. Doug has always been ethical in money matters, from everything I've seen over the years.

I think Doug really would give away $10k to someone unassociated with him.

I'm not suspecting that he would give it away to a fake account of his, or to a buddy. In fact, I'm stating the opposite. I think that he might redraw if the person winning was someone who had the appearance of either being a friend, or someone known to be a winner in poker. In this sort of promo, it's way better for the brand when a rec player or fan wins the $10k.

Thread Information