Thread: Druff- what's the angle?

Diamond
    Load Metric

Druff- what's the angle?

A guy came to stay with me in New York and had a horrific experience traveling with Delta.

First, the plane was delayed almost 5 hours and then when he arrived in NYC, his checked luggage was left behind in his destination city. He was able to receive his bag the day after but when he inspected it, he realized that the brand new luggage that he purchased had serious damage and that 2 of the 4 wheels had cracked from the plastic exterior.

He purchased this as part of a 3 baggage set so in order to replace the luggage, he needs to purchase the entire set again. Flight was $210 and luggage set was like $150.

He was on hold for 4.5 hrs with Delta and they still didn't get his call. Its a shitshow every company you call customer support. Delta, Verizon etc is all shit rn.

How much should he ask for? I said that he realistically will be able to get the refund for the transportation from the airport since it was super delayed and like a $100 airline credit for the luggage. What say you?

Load Metric
    imagine flying delta but not delta one.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by OSA View Post
    A guy came to stay with me in New York and had a horrific experience traveling with Delta.

First, the plane was delayed almost 5 hours and then when he arrived in NYC, his checked luggage was left behind in his destination city. He was able to receive his bag the day after but when he inspected it, he realized that the brand new luggage that he purchased had serious damage and that 2 of the 4 wheels had cracked from the plastic exterior.

He purchased this as part of a 3 baggage set so in order to replace the luggage, he needs to purchase the entire set again. Flight was $210 and luggage set was like $150.

He was on hold for 4.5 hrs with Delta and they still didn't get his call. Its a shitshow every company you call customer support. Delta, Verizon etc is all shit rn.

How much should he ask for? I said that he realistically will be able to get the refund for the transportation from the airport since it was super delayed and like a $100 airline credit for the luggage. What say you?
    Im gonna guess Druff is going to go full bore on this one.. If the luggage is damaged and can only be replaced totally then thats what they should pay him especially since its brand new.. He shouldve gotten some consideration on the flight issue but was it just delayed or was it cancelled and he was put on another flight.. If just delayed then carriage rules might not require consideration if he was cancelled and rebooked clearly they owe him a free ticket for the aggrivation of that and that standard. Of course the question is did you make the trip worth it for your "friend" in the end.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by OSA View Post

A luggage set for $150? Did he buy it at Target? No wonder it fell apart.

Comments

The Boz: Truth

Load Metric
    Will get nothing for the flight delay, read your contract of carriage. Of course one could spend hours upon hours trying to get something and might get lucky if they wear them down. And it would be flight credit toward a future flight at best.

For the luggage you could get something again after time wasted complaining. It won’t happen overnight, that’s a certainty and they won’t give a damn that it’s part of a set. Only you can decide how much your time is worth even when you are correct trying to get compensated.

Welcome to the monopoly the government has given the airlines to say “Fuck you” to customers on a hourly basis.

Diamond
    Load Metric
    You guys are so cynical and fold so easy.

Gonna wait for Professor Emeritus Witteles weigh in.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Air travel is a huge clusterfuck right now for various reasons.

Delta and all airline are facing a ton of long delays, flight cancellations, etc.

This is the wrong time to lodge a complaint. Your friend will get dismissed along with all of the other angry assholes who had a terrible mid-late December 2021 flight experience. I would advise waiting a few weeks, but he can try now if he wants.

Each airline has its own complaint process, and it's fairly bureaucratic. It's not like the phone or cable company, where you can call and attempt to talk yourself into a nice customer service credit (and try a second time if you get someone uncooperative). Here there are pretty rigid procedures regarding compensation, and while your results have variance, it's mostly out of your control.

I haven't complained to Delta aside from once about 15 years ago, so I have little experience in that department. My last complaint was to American -- both that we were stiffed out of our first class seats (due to a flight cancellation, and being moved to another flight) and that two of our seats had faulty seatbelts.

The customer service number told me I had to send an e-mail through their website contact form. I hate that, because I always like reasoning things out with a human being, live on the phone. However, I had no choice. I ended up getting some money BACK for the first class tickets being force-downgraded (this was required by law, btw), and some AA miles for the seatbelt thing. I felt I was poorly compensated for the first class thing, but they gave miles for two other seats I had which didn't have a seatbelt issue (every seat on the reservation got them, a total of 4), so overall I was okay with it.

Anyway, I don't feel like looking this up, but your friend needs to google how to best complain to Delta, and then folllow that procedure. He is probably entitled to some sort of compensation for the luggage, and the flight delay will probably get him some miles in his account. It would help if he still has the receipt for the luggage, and can attach it, as he can show it's a recent purchase, and this isn't a case of luggage from 2001 finally breaking.

Finally, most luggage has some kind of warranty, so he can pursue it that way, as well. Obviously that doesn't involve Delta.

And yes, sonatine is correct that you really need to grab Delta One if available and not too expensive, as it is vastly superior to economy. I am too tall to actually lie flat in those seats, but Benjamin absolutely loves it. That is all.

Thread Information