Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dan Bilzerian on Doug Polk Podcast

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Despite Dan's financial resources, Doug is pretty well protected from any kind of lawsuit, regarding his allegations/creative editing versus Bilzerian.

This is because:

1) Bilzerian is a public figure, and that can't be disputed. At the very least, he's a limited purpose public figure in poker, but a very strong case could be made that he's a general purpose public figure. This makes winning a defamation lawsuit REALLY hard.

2) Bilzerian has a rich father, has/had a trust fund, and his rich father was convicted of financial crimes. This forms a reasonable basis for suspicions of Dan's funds, and thus cannot be considered baseless allegations.

3) Bilzerian admitted in this podcast that he has "leaned into" the belief that he's playing with family money, in order to get into good private games. This would kill any lawsuit he could file regarding such claims about him.

4) Texas (Polk's location) has anti-SLAPP laws, as do California and Nevada (Bilzerian presumably could only claim residence in either of these states, most likely CA). It is very hard to win a defamation lawsuit in a state with anti-SLAPP laws.

5) Polk, while not as rich as Bilzerian, can easily afford a good attorney to file a successful anti-SLAPP motion to this, which would then get Dan to pay him back. And Dan is collectable.

6) The last thing Bilzerian wants is to have his finances looked into closely, as part of discovery.

Bilzerian hasn't threatened to sue Polk, but I'm just playing "what if".

Comments

sonatine: touche

Silver
    Load Metric
    Someone that knew Dan years ago told me that he was very rich (the person that told me would not throw the term "rich" around lightly) and the source of the money was what everyone thought it was... this was before crypto.

He did apparently play some high poker games, but none of this explains the wealth of a guy that lives like he has 200 million or more.

It's possible he invested well - maybe a decent gamble on crypto and he is friends with Bill Perkins so it's very possible he was able to invest in one of Perkin's funds.

Whatever the case is, he appears to be way richer than he was when I was told he was rich.

About 8 years ago when I was told this - he could of thrown a million or so in crypto and gained the wealth he has now. This is a way more likely explanation than the one he is giving - which I don't thin anyone believes.

He also has a brother also I believe is somehow wealthy.

At the end of the day it's no one's business, but I don't think anyone believes anything he says about where his money came from.

Load Metric
    Why the hell is Dan Bilzerian trying to prove he is a self-made man especially since he won $70 million from some rich dip-shits who think he is a trust fund baby?

What is he smoking?

Load Metric
    it seems, in my opinion, that poker was just a good way of washing his daddy's hidden money. it seems to have worked well.

Comments

Sanlmar: I’m sure this is the bottom line.

Load Metric
    You guys forgot the family business as a source of funds.

Fraud

Paying Dan Bilzerian’s $2.4 million annual rent, and paying for everything else Dan Bilzerian does, would be one explanation for how Ignite managed to lose a reported $50 million last year, as Forbes.com first reported.

Thread Information