Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't Look Up on Netflix

PFA Radio Co-Host
    Load Metric

Don't Look Up on Netflix

Don’t Look Up (free to watch now on Netflix) is a fantastic cross between Armageddon & Idiocracy

Should be up for Best Documentary

Netflix link: https://www.netflix.com/title/81252357

Comments

country978: It was very good

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Is it true that it's a backdoor way mocking of Trump and the MAGA movement, while making the left look scientific and reasonable?

That's what I read somewhere, but I haven't bothered to take the time if that's true.

If that's what it is, I'll pass.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Way too broad early. Better in the second half. Not good. But interesting.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    And, yes, it mocks MAGA.

Load Metric
    It’s about meteors like Moby Dick was about whales. Druff didn’t read Melville either.

PFA Radio Co-Host
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Is it true that it's a backdoor way mocking of Trump and the MAGA movement, while making the left look scientific and reasonable?

That's what I read somewhere, but I haven't bothered to take the time if that's true.

It mocks MAGA, it mocks vapid leftists who support saving the manatees but are horrible people, it mocks ignorance, it mocks politics, it mocks pretty much everything.

It does it in a very over-the-top, on-the-nose way -- which I found hilarious.

Watch it and decide for yourself.

Comments

MumblesBadly: On point

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Best part about this movie is that Timothee Chalamet is in it.

Yea... this adorable gorgeous looking specimen of a man.

Name:  timothee-chalamet.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  5.45 MB

Load Metric
    DiCaprio has gotten all middle aged and dumpy. That was my overriding impression when I saw the trailer. Really depressing.

Banging 20 yr olds on remote islands has taken its toll. Bezos needs to reach out.

PFA Radio Co-Host
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    DiCaprio has gotten all middle aged and dumpy. That was my overriding impression when I saw the trailer. Really depressing.

Banging 20 yr olds on remote islands has taken its toll. Bezos needs to reach out.
    By far my two favorite characters are Kate Dibiasky (Jennifer Lawrence) and Dr. Teddy Oglethorpe (Rob Morgan)

DiCaprio had his moments but it wasn't really a standout performance... maybe it's also that his character in spots isn't all that likeable.

Also Leo is 47 years old... and probably is supposed to look like a dumpy midwest professor in the movie.

Load Metric

It makes fun of everyone. I liked it. Of course, the real villain is a computer geek, so it’ll probably hit a little too close to home for you..

PFA Radio Co-Host
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayjami View Post

It makes fun of everyone. I liked it. Of course, the real villain is a computer geek, so it’ll probably hit a little too close to home for you..

One of the major villains in the movie is a Zuckerberg-esque character, though there are a cadre of lesser villains too.

The movie definitely makes fun of everyone and is more of a dark commentary on human nature.

I found the movie very entertaining, but also immensely frustrating.

Load Metric
    Adam McKay had lowered the bar in his last movie Vice. I had a 6 hour flight to kill and still couldn’t get through half an hour of that absolute mess of a film. He relied too much on the gimmicks that worked so well in his best movie by far The Big Short. Compared to Vice this movie is a major step up.

I think the overall plot of the film was good but the story telling was not sharp and just a lot of meandering. Character development was really lacking. For instance, you need me to get invested a bit in DiCaprio’s marriage in the first place for me to give a shit if they reconcile. For a movie with this runtime I think I should know and care more about the main characters.

Also just because Tyler Perry pulled off his character in Gone Girl doesn’t mean we can just plug him in to these type rolls. I think this was the worst performance I have ever seen out of Cate Blanchett. I didn’t buy her and Leo at all in here.

Jonah Hill best performance by far. He is a strange cat, but dude can act.

Nice cute story, didn’t blow my balls off.

3 Dimes out of 5.

Load Metric
    Wife wanted to see Leo and Meryl and shit.

Pure AIDS imo.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

PFA Radio Co-Host
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffDime View Post
    Also just because Tyler Perry pulled off his character in Gone Girl doesn’t mean we can just plug him in to these type rolls. I think this was the worst performance I have ever seen out of Cate Blanchett. I didn’t buy her and Leo at all in here.

Jonah Hill best performance by far. He is a strange cat, but dude can act.
    I really enjoyed Jennifer Lawrence's portrayal of Kate Dibiasky and also Rob Morgan as Dr. Teddy Oglethorpe. Granted the latter was a little subdued, but he had his moments.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post

Pure AIDS imo.
    I gave it a few minutes. Awful. The Merrill Streep Presidential character was where I drew the line. That whole Oval Office scene defied my suspension of reality. Idiotic

I hated every single character to that point.

I’m curious how this hit Khalwat that way but diff’rent strokes.

PFA Radio Co-Host
    Load Metric

Pure AIDS imo.
    I gave it a few minutes. Awful. The Merrill Streep Presidential character was where I drew the line. That whole Oval Office scene defied my suspension of reality. I tried.

For sure it's intentionally over the top, and ham-fisted. It's something you either go along with, or may end up hating.

Load Metric

Pure AIDS imo.
    I gave it a few minutes. Awful. The Merrill Streep Presidential character was where I drew the line. That whole Oval Office scene defied my suspension of reality. Idiotic

I’m curious how this hit Khalwat that way but diff’rent strokes.
    Bizarrely, the character Merrill Streep played and the character’s lackeys were somehow less ridiculous than Trump when he was in office.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Watched it tonight. There really isn’t anything smart or insightful about it. I didn’t hate it or particularly enjoy it other than a few moments. Jonah Hill always makes me laugh and getting Ariana Grande to essentially play herself was amusing.

I think it had bad timing. It might have felt like a good idea when he started to conceive it two years ago, but a mockumentary of how vapid American culture is feels a decade late, and a lot of this has been right in our faces for the last couple years to the point most of us have almost no hope for things improving and have had enough of it and wouldn’t even really mind an extinction level comet heading at us in six months. That was my takeaway. This is accurate and some comet wouldn’t be a particularly bad thing because it’s accurate

Comments

JeffDime: +1

Diamond Pro Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe's Avatar
    Load Metric
    I have a feeling I won't like it but honestly I like every movie that Leonardo DiCaprio has ever starred in. I'm about to drive to the gas station to buy some Ruffles and French Onion Dip and I'll get back to this thread with the correct opinion around 1am est

Comments

khalwat: Looking forward to your take

PFA Radio Co-Host
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    Watched it tonight. There really isn’t anything smart or insightful about it. I didn’t hate it or particularly enjoy it other than a few moments. Jonah Hill always makes me laugh and getting Ariana Grande to essentially play herself was amusing.

I think it had bad timing. It might have felt like a good idea when he started to conceive it two years ago, but a mockumentary of how vapid American culture is feels a decade late, and a lot of this has been right in our faces for the last couple years to the point most of us have almost no hope for things improving and have had enough of it and wouldn’t even really mind an extinction level comet heading at us in six months. That was my takeaway. This is accurate and some comet wouldn’t be a particularly bad thing because it’s accurate
    Yeah that's a fair take. I could definitely see some of the in-fighting portrayed in the movie happening if a comet was headed to earth... and the "don't look up" contingent would be the climate/vaccine/spherical earth "skeptics".

Thread Information