Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Netflix The Alpinist

Load Metric

This video directly inspired me to get into mountaineering and climbing, moving up from long day hikes and backpacking.

It's technically easier than the route he climbed in Free Solo but man, those drone shots.

I met a guy who was finishing up soloing a route while I was hiking in El Dorado Canyon near Boulder (Brad Gobright). Watching him solo for about 20 minutes and was petrified, turns out he had soloed the route like 20 times at that point.

Really chill guy, bought him tacos and beers after as he had no money and was living out of his car.

Eventually made a bit of a name for himself and was considered the #2 soloist behind Honnold while still living a dirtbag life; got some sponsors but still lived a nomadic lifestyle.

He died climbing this route in 2019, roped. Was doing some insane simultaneous rappelling with his partner and someone probably forgot to tie a knot. Slid off and fell like 1000 feet to his death, partner luckboxed into a bush on a ridge and was ok.

Comments

gimmick:

Sanlmar: Mercy
    Last edited by Sloppy Joe; 12-25-2021 at 08:29 PM.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Silver
    Load Metric
    Finally got to watching this based on your reco San. Truly was incredible.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    the thing i find interesting about psychopath/sociopathic, much more interesting than the constantly shifting line between them, is that for hundreds if not thousands of years, we regularly had Big Fucking Wars where all the psychopaths would get their opportunity to shine at the front lines.

these days they are stacking up and breeding and passing on those genes, creating an exponentially growing bloom of intraspecies predators.
    A
    im sure its just a big misunderstanding tho.
    There’s no shifting line. Sociopaths believe they are superior to others, so they don’t have to conform to society’s rules. They make horrible soldiers, because it is impossible to instill discipline in them.

Psychopaths lack empathy. While that is a good thing when facing the enemy, they are completely incapable of bonding with their comrades, an important component to military success. The Viking berserkers come to mind, but they are the exception.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    14 peaks is boring AF.

Impressive, yes…entertaining…meh.

Probably should have watched it first.

Comments

Sanlmar: Was awful so this is confirmed

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Texter View Post
    14 peaks is boring AF.

Impressive, yes…entertaining…meh.

Probably should have watched it first.
    Yeah 14 peaks sucked.

The feat is unconscionable; there's only a handful of people who have climbed all fourteen 8,000 meter peaks, and usually over more than a decade. The fitness required is unheard of; even the best athletes alive couldn't get there unless genetically predisposed to handle altitude.

The highest I've been is 18,100 feet; did it with rest days and short gains built in and thought I was going to die over that final few hundred feet; every single step was agonizing and thought out.

This doc made it seem like a Red Bull commercial.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Crazy how they did like 3 in a couple days.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayjami View Post
    the thing i find interesting about psychopath/sociopathic, much more interesting than the constantly shifting line between them, is that for hundreds if not thousands of years, we regularly had Big Fucking Wars where all the psychopaths would get their opportunity to shine at the front lines.

these days they are stacking up and breeding and passing on those genes, creating an exponentially growing bloom of intraspecies predators.
    A
    im sure its just a big misunderstanding tho.
    There’s no shifting line. Sociopaths believe they are superior to others, so they don’t have to conform to society’s rules. They make horrible soldiers, because it is impossible to instill discipline in them.
    Psychopaths lack empathy. While that is a good thing when facing the enemy, they are completely incapable of bonding with their comrades, an important component to military success. The Viking berserkers come to mind, but they are the exception.

sigh... look there was a study done where they provided sociopaths on the narcissist branch (iirc) and a 'normal' control group with doses of meth and watched for how their brains responded. basically the pleasure response centers in the brains of the sociopaths lit up like 10x brighter than the normies.

meaning:

sociopaths really cant say no to behavior that makes them feel good because the rewards they get are a magnitude greater than they should be.

- that has nothing to do with feeling superior, it has everything to do with other peoples well being meaning 10x less to them than it should.

- real honest to god narcissists, which is a sociopath spectrum branch, are consumed by self loathing, not superiority. and they usually fabricate circumstances to distract everyone from seeing them as how they see themselves, etc.

- very often, sociopaths will have people in their lives that are effectively immune from that sort of manipulation and are perceived in a healthy way in terms of empathy. sometimes that wears off, often it doesnt.

honestly your response kinda reads like your education comes from documentaries and books about serial killers, not boots on the ground psychological studies. im not trying to call you out or put you on blast, but its difficult to have a conversation about this when we seem to be comparing apples to oranges.

Comments

aayjay: Interesting information & analysis.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Bronze
    Load Metric
    The Alpinist is an incredible movie. One of the best of its kind I have seen. Huge balls these guys have.

Personally I enjoy slacklining / highline. What is this you ask? In case you aren't familiar with slackline/highline it is sort of like highwire walking but on a flat rope which is not pulled tight. As far as Free Solo Highline HOLY SHIT , just watch.....

This is the full doc of Spencer Seabrooke (One of BC/Squamish's best) and his world record free solo. Below I have also linked just the world record attempt in case you don't feel like watching a 30 min doc. But It is worth it, He is lucky to be alive.

I have a ton more I could talk on this for quite a while as the whole mountaineering/adventure sports thing is fascinating, but I'll let this marinate for a bit. Enjoy!

FULL DOCUMENTARY:

JUST THE FREE SOLO WORLD RECORD:

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by aayjay View Post
    The Alpinist is an incredible movie. One of the best of its kind I have seen. Huge balls these guys have.

Personally I enjoy slacklining / highline. What is this you ask? In case you aren't familiar with slackline/highline it is sort of like highwire walking but on a flat rope which is not pulled tight. As far as Free Solo Highline HOLY SHIT , just watch.....

This is the full doc of Spencer Seabrooke (One of BC/Squamish's best) and his world record free solo. Below I have also linked just the world record attempt in case you don't feel like watching a 30 min doc. But It is worth it, He is lucky to be alive.

I have a ton more I could talk on this for quite a while as the whole mountaineering/adventure sports thing is fascinating, but I'll let this marinate for a bit. Enjoy!

FULL DOCUMENTARY:

JUST THE FREE SOLO WORLD RECORD:

Didn't know this was a thing, jesus. Will never try this at any level, would love to hear about it though.

LOL falling out of the gate and still knocking it out.

Comments

aayjay: Fuckin' SEND IT!

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayjami View Post

sigh... look there was a study done where they provided sociopaths on the narcissist branch (iirc) and a 'normal' control group with doses of meth and watched for how their brains responded. basically the pleasure response centers in the brains of the sociopaths lit up like 10x brighter than the normies.

meaning:

sociopaths really cant say no to behavior that makes them feel good because the rewards they get are a magnitude greater than they should be.

- that has nothing to do with feeling superior, it has everything to do with other peoples well being meaning 10x less to them than it should.

- real honest to god narcissists, which is a sociopath spectrum branch, are consumed by self loathing, not superiority. and they usually fabricate circumstances to distract everyone from seeing them as how they see themselves, etc.

- very often, sociopaths will have people in their lives that are effectively immune from that sort of manipulation and are perceived in a healthy way in terms of empathy. sometimes that wears off, often it doesnt.

honestly your response kinda reads like your education comes from documentaries and books about serial killers, not boots on the ground psychological studies. im not trying to call you out or put you on blast, but its difficult to have a conversation about this when we seem to be comparing apples to oranges.
    The study wasn't using diagnosed psychopaths or anyone that scores highly on PCL-R. Can't get the full text without hassle, but...

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news...-reward-system

https://www.nature.com/articles/nn.2510

...from the articles released at the time you can decipher roughly what they were doing.

They measured things and then they made conclusions about things they didn't measure. Volunteers with high scores in antisocial impulsivity had 4x activity with dopamine release when either being given a random amphetamine (likely Adderall) or a task with a promise of monetary reward. Volunteers with high scores in fearlessness didn't. They then concluded that this payoff would cause them to do anything to get it, because reasons. That's the part they didn't feel like measuring.

Neurotypicals generally experience far greater emotional payoff than 4x compared to psychopaths. Can we now conclude that these slaves to their emotions will do anything to get it? Seems a bit of a stretch.

NPD is it's own thing. With overlap and possibly some comorbidity that isn't just based on misdiagnosing, but fundamentally separate.

Here's a monotone explanation that roughly get's it right...

...narcissism is more based on affectivity. They care about different things. You could say they share some tools in dealing with the world, with vastly different motives.

Comments

sonatine: gimmick materclass post reps

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post

Didn't know this was a thing, jesus. Will never try this at any level, would love to hear about it though.

LOL falling out of the gate and still knocking it out.
    Falling 2x right out the gate, catching, and sending. Fuck me lol.

If you are interested in just playing around you can set up a line in your yard connected to some trees or whatever and just slackline 1ft from the ground. It is fun, and great for proprioception / balance, and espeically when you first start learning it is extremely meditative as you really need to be fully focused to not fall (especially in the learning phase).

Also there are some interesting studies on effects on the brain, seems to create gamma brain waves or something like that, can't remember of top of my head but there is a short video on youtube I will link below.

If you would love to hear about it I reccomend checking out this youtube page, tons of info about highline / slackline / climbing / rope swing / skydiving etc. The good stuff! Or you could ask me too but I am not an expert.

https://www.youtube.com/c/HowNOT2/playlists

And Your Brain on Slackline:

Load Metric
    For fictional recent examples of people that show realistic collection of traits we could look at Euphoria. Fezco for psychopathy and Nate for narcissism. In random articles Nate is described as a psychopath and Fez as a drug dealer with a heart of gold. Clearly people with likeable characteristics can't be psychopaths and any generic form of evil can always be called as that, but that's not how it works.

What places Nate firmly in the NPD camp lies in jealousy, possessiveness, self admiration and general attention whore qualities. Those are all things that psychopaths mostly don't care about. They don't see people like that. They all come from that region of emotions that's stunted and/or generally considered of low value. That's just how they are wired.

On the other hand Fez has been a successful (alive) low level drug dealer since his teens. He doesn't really have a problem with selling drugs to teens or having his much younger stepbrother be his business partner. He occasionally gets his friends in questionable situations, has a "healthy" tolerance for violence and general willingness to use any tools to get the job done. For him the world is a hassle.

If you take whatever has been written about psychopathy as true, clearly he can't be a psychopath because he is protective of Rue and her friends. Supports his grandmother and stepbrother. Does several unselfish things all the time. Well none of that is uncommon. Taking stray cats home, because that's the right thing to do. There's nothing to gain from that, but you don't mind when they are around and you don't really miss them when they're gone. Or you could say there's one thing you gain. There are no crimes worse than boredom. When you take other peoples problems as yours, there's stuff to do. It's still a hassle though.

The character of Fez is half written by a former addict from his own experiences (not a self portrayal though) and the actor Angus Cloud ad-libbing. Angus has never acted before. They picked him off the street and he was correcting lines on his audition because they didn't sound right. He was originally written to die in s1. Instead he got his own origin story episode to start off s2. Make of that what you will.

https://www.gq.com/story/euphoria-se...loud-interview

"Cloud has said he was cast off the street when a casting agent saw him walking in New York and thought he looked the part. He has parlayed that authenticity into the show’s most sympathetic character and contributes the most tender moments—despite being somewhat monosyllabic and reserved—as one of Rue’s (Zendaya) most protective friends and the person least judgmental of her drug habit. He also enables some of its darkest, as a drug dealer who associates with dangerous criminals, supplies high school kids, and delivers beatdowns."

Comments

sonatine: gimmick materclass post reps
    Last edited by gimmick; 01-10-2022 at 04:18 AM.

Thread Information